ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #26
brettromar
Role Player

Default Re: Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

Did I miss the year they were good before Long? I don't know because I am from the ther side of the state but I don't remember them ever being any good or going to state for that matter since the 90s
brettromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #27
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettromar View Post
Did I miss the year they were good before Long? I don't know because I am from the ther side of the state but I don't remember them ever being any good or going to state for that matter since the 90s
Glidden's senior year, 2 years before Long got there, they were ranked 1 or 2 late in the year before losing to Edmond Memorial in the playoffs. That team was pretty good...they were fairly good the year before that.
Section31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #28
colston15
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!
This is spot on.

Last edited by colston15; 10-04-2016 at 10:55 PM.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #29
brettromar
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
Glidden's senior year, 2 years before Long got there, they were ranked 1 or 2 late in the year before losing to Edmond Memorial in the playoffs. That team was pretty good...they were fairly good the year before that.
Did they even make the state tournament that year? I don't remember them every being there. If you can't make it to state when you only have to be 8 of the top 32 then I wouldn't consider you a good team.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #30
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettromar View Post
Did they even make the state tournament that year? I don't remember them every being there. If you can't make it to state when you only have to be 8 of the top 32 then I wouldn't consider you a good team.
No. Got upset by someone in their regional. Can't remember who, then had to play memorial who, I think won the title that year. Well, I guess if you use that standard, they weren't any good. Ha!

In basketball, the West side of the state rules, so there's obviously going to be teams in the state tournament that aren't as good coming from the east side on occasion.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #31
Leroy
Walk-on

West side rules is what rules. When Terry Evans hired the AAU coach to coach with him at North, that cost Long his two recruits coming from Ardmore. They are now at Edmond North.

Other schools on the west side, Put North etc, are using Long's methods to recruit and beat him. Good for him to leave because teams were going to run the score up on him this year. He quit coaching during the game last year in the semis of state.

My source about the parents was from an OU basketball coach ha.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
West side rules is what rules. When Terry Evans hired the AAU coach to coach with him at North, that cost Long his two recruits coming from Ardmore. They are now at Edmond North.

Other schools on the west side, Put North etc, are using Long's methods to recruit and beat him. Good for him to leave because teams were going to run the score up on him this year. He quit coaching during the game last year in the semis of state.

My source about the parents was from an OU basketball coach ha.
I'm fairly well connected with this community. I can tell you for a fact that most reasonable parents of kids who could actually play like Terry. Terry's not perfect, but he is, IMO, a really good high school basketball coach. I've never spoken to him, but know many who have and they like him.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #33
brettromar
Role Player

Quote:
No. Got upset by someone in their regional. Can't remember who, then had to play memorial who, I think won the title that year. Well, I guess if you use that standard, they weren't any good. Ha!

In basketball, the West side of the state rules, so there's obviously going to be teams in the state tournament that aren't as good coming from the east side on occasion.
Just my opinion that if you are not getting to state when 8 of the 32 make it in and all you have to do is win 3 games, then you are not what I call a good team. Of course there are some years where there are 5 or 6 teams fighting to make it in the West, however if you can't be top 4 of 16 teams, then I stand by my statement.

It is all just opinion so we are both right in reality.

The West side of the state does rule 6A basketball, but in reality it is the West side plus Union. Can't count out the only team that has won from the east and on 2 of the last 4.

Last edited by brettromar; 10-05-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #34
bgrch1350
Banned

Quote:
I'm fairly well connected with this community. I can tell you for a fact that most reasonable parents of kids who could actually play like Terry. Terry's not perfect, but he is, IMO, a really good high school basketball coach. I've never spoken to him, but know many who have and they like him.
What's your definition of kids who can actually play? The kids he brought in would have beaten out almost all Oklahoma kids on any high school team for playing time.

Mustang has had talent off and on for years. They had a coach before long that could coach and got them to top 3 in the state and he didn't bring in a bunch of aau kids.

Mustang didn't win a championship they bought one and had their tall kid not been upset with long and bolted back to Texas they would have won this past year.
bgrch1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #35
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrch1350 View Post
What's your definition of kids who can actually play? The kids he brought in would have beaten out almost all Oklahoma kids on any high school team for playing time.

Mustang has had talent off and on for years. They had a coach before long that could coach and got them to top 3 in the state and he didn't bring in a bunch of aau kids.

Mustang didn't win a championship they bought one and had their tall kid not been upset with long and bolted back to Texas they would have won this past year.
Not counting JLong...Terry brought in 3 players that were really good HS players - Curtis, Austin and Terrell. While those kids were pretty good HS players, none were high level college talents. In fact, Austin sat out quite a bit of the games they won during the state title season due to fouls. The other kids were no better than the kids that were playing other sports at Mustang.

The MVP of the state title game was a kid that had lived in Mustang his entire life (my son played t-ball, football and youth council basketball with him). Their top sub was the same and another one of their top 8 was a homegrown kid. There's not a single kid in those classes that was an above average basketball player that didn't play.

The previous coach is a really nice guy...I really like him...

Last edited by Section31; 10-05-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #36
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Not counting JLong...Terry brought in 3 players that were really good HS players - Curtis, Austin and Terrell. While those kids were pretty good HS players, none were high level college talents. In fact, Austin sat out quite a bit of the games they won during the state title season due to fouls. The other kids were no better than the kids that were playing other sports at Mustang.

The MVP of the state title game was a kid that had lived in Mustang his entire life (my son played t-ball, football and youth council basketball with him). Their top sub was the same and another one of their top 8 was a homegrown kid. There's not a single kid in those classes that was an above average basketball player that didn't play.

Not counting his son, do you really believe they come close to winning state? Austin, Curtis, & the big kid last year are all D1 players. I guess that's not high level college talent.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #37
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Not counting his son, do you really believe they come close to winning state? Austin, Curtis, & the big kid last year are all D1 players. I guess that's not high level college talent.
No, but the thought that every kid that transferred in was a star is just BS

Honestly, they probably win it with Curtis and Jlong.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #38
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
No, but the thought that every kid that transferred in was a star is just BS

Honestly, they probably win it with Curtis and Jlong.
Having kids transfer across the state that played on your AAU team is BS. I like the way Long coaches, but the way he gets talent is shady at best. You're starting to see the same things with Evans at Edmond North.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #39
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

When you recruit well you dont have to coach as well. Its called cheating. Not many fans of Long in the coaching world.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #40
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
When you recruit well you dont have to coach as well. Its called cheating. Not many fans of Long in the coaching world.
That's ironic, because after you mistakenly accused me of being a "Jlong is an OU talent", I went back through the archives on this board to make sure that I didn't forget. Not only did I say the opposite, but also found where you called Long a "great coach". Funny, huh?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #41
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
That's ironic, because after you mistakenly accused me of being a "Jlong is an OU talent", I went back through the archives on this board to make sure that I didn't forget. Not only did I say the opposite, but also found where you called Long a "great coach". Funny, huh?
Must of confused you with someone... Hopefully there was sarcasm attached to my quote!!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #42
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Can he make more money doing 'private coaching' than he could as a college assistant?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #43
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Can he make more money doing 'private coaching' than he could as a college assistant?
Since he probably wouldn't be a mid-major or high D1 assistant then I think he'd make more money doing paid lessons.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #44
Section31
Starter

My buddy higher up in the administration at Mustang told me Boone wanted Long at OSU recently. Not sure how legit that is
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #45
Postman77
Walk-on

Quote:
My buddy higher up in the administration at Mustang told me Boone wanted Long at OSU recently. Not sure how legit that is
It isn't. Long has a history of throwing his name into situations that were never possibilities. There was a story a few years back that both he and Jakolby would end up at OU. That was never the case. He tried for the Oklahoma Christian job, but was not seriously considered. Before being hired at Mustang he tried at every big school available, and could not get hired. Most of that has to do with his illegal recruitment. Other districts didn't want to take the chance.
Postman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #46
bgrch1350
Banned

Quote:

Theres not very many coaches that are going to look bad when you bring in 3 AAU kids. He did the same thing at Douglas. I know Foreman who is now the interim coach at Mustang wasn't pleased that 2 of his Westmoore kids were playing for Long at Douglas.

And as for the local kid being MVP...that just tells me that you added 4 kids to go along with a local talent. I would have rather have seen what that kid and Jakolby could have done and not what the team did with the other transfers.
bgrch1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #47
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman77 View Post
It isn't. Long has a history of throwing his name into situations that were never possibilities. There was a story a few years back that both he and Jakolby would end up at OU. That was never the case. He tried for the Oklahoma Christian job, but was not seriously considered. Before being hired at Mustang he tried at every big school available, and could not get hired. Most of that has to do with his illegal recruitment. Other districts didn't want to take the chance.
The guy I got that from is connected to OSU...that's where his info came from.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #48
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrch1350 View Post
Theres not very many coaches that are going to look bad when you bring in 3 AAU kids. He did the same thing at Douglas. I know Foreman who is now the interim coach at Mustang wasn't pleased that 2 of his Westmoore kids were playing for Long at Douglas.

And as for the local kid being MVP...that just tells me that you added 4 kids to go along with a local talent. I would have rather have seen what that kid and Jakolby could have done and not what the team did with the other transfers.
I know Foreman WELL...like REALLY well.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #49
colston15
Starter

Long has tried to get jobs at Edmond schools and hasn't even been considered.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #50
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
Long has tried to get jobs at Edmond schools and hasn't even been considered.
One of the few factual negative statements in this thread.