ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,107
Default **** you, colin kaepernick

Refusing to stand during your national anthem because of police violence.

Go **** yourself.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

i second that.

Yes racism still exists. But we live in a time where we have prominent minorities all over the place. It is nothing like it was in generations past. Any racism that still exists is an individual aspect, not a societal racism
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

I never stand for it...........not the flag and not the national anthem. Part of the Constitution, freedom of expression and freedom of speech. It is my country and I do not like a lot of things it does but I am not leaving, because it is my country. Grew up here, family and friends here. I do continually try to improve it. AND racism is certainly a societal disorder. We have institutionalized racism in this country. Understand, SoonerBounce13, that you do not agree, but we do not have to agree.

And the racism is not the only reason that I do not stand for the flag nor the national anthem. Do not know that this country is worse than many but we hold ourselves up as the best and certainly no true. I could name so many examples.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
I never stand for it...........not the flag and not the national anthem. Part of the Constitution, freedom of expression and freedom of speech. It is my country and I do not like a lot of things it does but I am not leaving, because it is my country. Grew up here, family and friends here. I do continually try to improve it. AND racism is certainly a societal disorder. We have institutionalized racism in this country. Understand, SoonerBounce13, that you do not agree, but we do not have to agree.

And the racism is not the only reason that I do not stand for the flag nor the national anthem. Do not know that this country is worse than many but we hold ourselves up as the best and certainly no true. I could name so many examples.
OF course you have the right to not stand. doesn't make it right. IF you were to not show respect for your country in a lot of countries, you could be charged with a crime or worse.

Can you give an example of institutional racism in america?
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #5
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,166
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
I never stand for it...........not the flag and not the national anthem. Part of the Constitution, freedom of expression and freedom of speech. It is my country and I do not like a lot of things it does but I am not leaving, because it is my country. Grew up here, family and friends here. I do continually try to improve it. AND racism is certainly a societal disorder. We have institutionalized racism in this country. Understand, SoonerBounce13, that you do not agree, but we do not have to agree.

And the racism is not the only reason that I do not stand for the flag nor the national anthem. Do not know that this country is worse than many but we hold ourselves up as the best and certainly no true. I could name so many examples.
You have the right to remain in your seat when the National Anthem is played or the flag is raised. I, on the other hand, see standing in recognition of my freedom to choose as an honor. You have your reasons and I have mine. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

I think most of us realize this country is not perfect. That said, I can't think of any place on earth I would rather live. For that reason, if no other, I would love to see a short list of the "examples" you reference in your post that you would rank ahead of the U.S.? I may want to move there someday.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,412
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

We all tend to believe in our Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression except when the person exercising that freedom disagrees with us. Then we want that person to move to another country or lose their job. That sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Whatever happened to the people who said "I disagree with your point of view, but I will fight to the death for your right to express that point of view"?

Kaepernick is expressing his point of view about what he perceives to be a problem. I might not express my point of view the same way, but I have no problem defending his right to express his opinion.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 1,724
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

I like how he is getting more publicity than the actual police violence.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
We all tend to believe in our Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression except when the person exercising that freedom disagrees with us. Then we want that person to move to another country or lose their job. That sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Whatever happened to the people who said "I disagree with your point of view, but I will fight to the death for your right to express that point of view"?

Kaepernick is expressing his point of view about what he perceives to be a problem. I might not express my point of view the same way, but I have no problem defending his right to express his opinion.
i literally haven't heard one person say that he doesn't have the right to do what he did. People make it a point to start their arguments stating that he has the right.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,412
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Did anyone else watch Sooner Sports Huddle this week? Ty Darlington and Ryan Broyles are going to be on each week. Ty Darlington gave a very eloquent and respectful commentary on the Kaepernick issue. If everyone could respond to this type of issue with the same eloquence and respectfulness, we would all be better off.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

now the guy wears socks depicting cops as pigs.

This guy is nothing but a clown that knows he is going to get cut anyway so he is attention seeking
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,166
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...y?ocid=magnews
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
You have the right to remain in your seat when the National Anthem is played or the flag is raised. I, on the other hand, see standing in recognition of my freedom to choose as an honor. You have your reasons and I have mine. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

I think most of us realize this country is not perfect. That said, I can't think of any place on earth I would rather live. For that reason, if no other, I would love to see a short list of the "examples" you reference in your post that you would rank ahead of the U.S.? I may want to move there someday.
I did not mean I could name several countries that are better than ours, though that is what it seems I wrote. I meant many countries are better than the U.S. in several areas whether there are those that are better overall, I would guess so. But, as I have said, this is my country and I want to take responsibility for our crimes against other nations, our crimes against our own people, especially POC and Native Americans, and I just want to work to make it better. Plus, it is my home. So though I probably consider other places better to live, I would not move. We rank 17th in education, in healthcare we are 37th, in gun violence: Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher. And, even though the United States' suicide rate is similar to other countries, the nation's gun-related suicide rate is eight times higher than other high-income countries, researchers said. Among the member countries Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, we rank 27 in infant mortality. These are just a few statistics regarding what I think are important for the QUALITY of a country....to call it the best. If you are interested, then you can google and gather these facts for yourself and decide if you want to move somewhere else.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
OF course you have the right to not stand. doesn't make it right. IF you were to not show respect for your country in a lot of countries, you could be charged with a crime or worse.

Can you give an example of institutional racism in america?
right to whom? in what way is it not right?

As far as institutionalized racism, if you were interested in the issue rather than speaking without researching, you would know. You are racist, either through ignorance or lack of caring, I am not going to fix that. Only you can do that. If you are just ignorant of the facts, just google. There are so many graphs and statistics that show the different ways in which the U.S. has institutionalized racism.

The following comment by you makes it clear you do not know what is and has been going on in this country and which did not stop in the 70's, 80's, etc. Having "prominent minorities all over the place" does not exclude institutionalized racism or societal racism. Matter of fact, since Obama was elected the some of the more overt racism which had gone underground has come back with a flourish. It is disgusting, sad and evil and makes our country less in all ways.

"Yes racism still exists. But we live in a time where we have prominent minorities all over the place. It is nothing like it was in generations past. Any racism that still exists is an individual aspect, not a societal racism."
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
now the guy wears socks depicting cops as pigs.

This guy is nothing but a clown that knows he is going to get cut anyway so he is attention seeking

I disagree that he is a clown. He is very well spoken. I do not care for the police as pigs socks, but then I haven't been pulled over 15 times for driving while black, walking while black, breathing while black. I do not know any 14 yo white girls who have been slammed to the ground by police in the classroom or the school ground or at a pool party; just to name a few. I don't know any
old white man who was in his lawn threatening people with his weedeater that was shot dead by the police when they came. And I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #15
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
now the guy wears socks depicting cops as pigs.

This guy is nothing but a clown that knows he is going to get cut anyway so he is attention seeking

I think he knew he was taking a bigger risk of not making the team by his actions. If he was on the edge, which he knew he was, this only adds to a reason to let him go. The NFL does not want the controversy.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #16
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsooners View Post
i like how he is getting more publicity than the actual police violence.
sad!
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #17
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
i literally haven't heard one person say that he doesn't have the right to do what he did. People make it a point to start their arguments stating that he has the right.
Actually, that is not true. First two posts said nothing about his rights. You addressed if after I did. And then it was addressed after that.

The point is, had I not addressed and MsProudSooner not addressed it,
I have a feeling there would have been a good chance someone would have said well he can go live in another country. Similar to your post to me about what would happen to people in some other countries if they did not stand for their national anthem, WHICH is of course irrelevant. ESPECIALLY when you consider the number of first world countries in which NOTHING would happen to them....no legal action.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Re: Ty Darlington on this topic

https://tydarlington.wordpress.com/

If you go scroll down past the 7th game referenced which is Maryland @ Nebraska, Ty starts his position on Colin.

I agree with part of what Ty says but not with what he says about
Colin disrespecting service people or about his general statement that
Colin's choice for setting forth his views by not standing is inappropriate.
(paraphrasing) I have heard many service people say that that is exactly
why they fight, for the Constitution, for people's right to protest by doing exactly what Colin is doing. Plus, this is not about the women and men who have and are serving, it is about our country and many of us feel it is getting worse. Part, I believe is 24 hour cable news and talk radio and the tenor of those shows. Even if it is a sports show, whether cable, radio, or network tv
it is often divisive and hateful. We are talking about sports and people who play and these pundits, newspeople, sportspeople are just not professional.
Some of the things I have heard sound like boys in high school.

Add that to the fact that there are people who do not care for the Constitutution except when they believe it supports something they want.
So we have pundits and politicians who are pushing us to be angry and divisiv and this increased with the election of our first black president. I see people
at OU HOOP talking about high school kids and putting them down for hogging the ball or not working hard enough or whatever........AND WE KNOW what is said about college and professional players and coaches. My gosh, first for the high school and college kids..........DO YOU REMEMBER what it is like to be their age? Heck, at least daily, I regret one if not more things that I do. It is like reality tv. Enjoying sports and players and talking about it and then making a SPORT of just being negative about some teams, some players, whatever...ARE YOU LIVING YOUR LIFE ANY BETTER? You just aren't in the spotlight. AND have you had the pressure they have had? And many did not have good childhoods (because of that institutionalized racism) and go to college and then the pros. AS much money and as much as universities want great athletic programs (OU as much as anyone), we owe it to these athlete to have a few special classes which fit their needs........ONE would be handling money and not partying it away, but a psychology type class to help them succeed in life as a person. I know many are big on God but many of those are the same ones who rape, get in fights, abuse women, have children all over the country. I have no problem with them having sex, but no one can be a present, good father to children of 6 different mothers. WEAR A CONDOM, even if the woman says she is on birth control, it isn't 100% FOR the sake of her and you and a possible pregnancy. BUT these young men never get that chance to learn what it is to be a man and it is sad. Same is true of female athletes, it is just most don't make the money and have the fame to make as many or as large of mistakes.

PLUS, add the doping of all types. Many of our athletes are disposable commodities.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
OF course you have the right to not stand. doesn't make it right. IF you were to not show respect for your country in a lot of countries, you could be charged with a crime or worse.

Can you give an example of institutional racism in america?
OKAY, because I just happened to run across this article, but it is JUST ONE example........many more.


http://www.vox.com/2016/9/2/12774066...id-laws-racist

Longtime Republican consultant: if black people voted Republican, voter ID laws wouldn't happen
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,379
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Simply, he has the right to protest. When he no longer has that right, I won't stand for the national anthem either.

I don't know that I approve of playing the national anthem at sporting events. Have we always done this? We didn't do it when I was in high school, except at football games. I don't remember ever doing this at a baseball game.

We got caught into some challenges to patriotism during the McCarthyism era of the early fifties. That's when we inserted, "under God," into the pledge. When I worked for the University of Oklahoma in the sixties, we had to sign a Loyalty Oath. It was actually a little thing that looked like a diploma or certificate that said you were a loyal American, and you had to sign it to get a job. I guess that it never occurred to them that any communist spy would be more than happy to sign a loyalty oath.

We even had to sign one when I was in the Army. Our attitude was, "get serious." We have been drafted. We are going through this miserable ordeal of basic training. But, you think we are not loyal? It never occurred to any of us that we might get out of the Army if we didn't sign one. Of course, they might have thrown us in the stockade.

I don't like how we have made certain things a challenge to our patriotism. I've seen a whole lot of draft dodgers who challenged those of us who actually served. Really? I tend to think, "what is wrong with you if you suspect everyone of not being loyal?" I figure that I've earned the right to sit, stand, or walk away when the national anthem is played, and I don't want some twerp who didn't serve telling me what patriotism is.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #21
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

I had quit posting here and had this been in the women's hoops forum (which was where 99 percent of my posts and my reading was), I wouldn't have responded. However, because it showed in this forum when I came to the ou hoops site, I responded. And I was finished with it until I saw this article at Vox.com.

It has some history regarding the national anthem being played at sporting events and particularly the NFL.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/3/12774172...nal-anthem-why
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
womenssports
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,236
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

Okay, this was mentioned in an article in my email so I googled it. Example of institutionalized racism.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2664945

AND I do not accept the actions of either young man.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #23
stormspencer
All-American
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,089
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

I will give the guy a break....I mean, he is an oppressed millionaire who will never have to work another day in his life if he were released tomorrow.

But seriously, I dislike the term "oppression." It's a very polarizing term and I don't think it applies to a country that, while having a history of true oppression of black folks, is currently undergoing a national dialogue under which the remaining oppressive factors are under discussion and poised perhaps for elimination.

It's only natural for people like me, who have had no hand in oppression of anyone, to resent being labeled oppressors and having an entire segment of this country labeled oppressors.

One thing all this social justice movement really lacks perspective on is the fact that there is no country on earth with a better record of suppressing oppression than the U.S., although an argument can be made that there are some countries that temporarily get ahead of us on certain aspects regarding these issues. Further, the opportunities available to all (even if in lesser degree to some than others), and the progress and standard of living here that is applicable to all, is without peer in the history of mankind. Which, of course, is not to say that we can't improve.

The other component to this is that the statistics simply do not bear out many of the grievances that are presented in these movements. I could literally post a dozen statistical summaries about violent crime rates in communities of color and the trumped up, mythical fantasy that a person of color has to fear the police. Rather than rely on facts, we are subjected to isolated, anecdotal situations and then told those instances are the norm. It's patently absurd that this misinformation and distortion largely goes unchecked in all of our media.

And it is rather annoying coming from some privileged sports figure. And that is in response to whoever above tried to indicate that Kapaernick is somehow articulate or accomplished.....I mean, have you heard the guy talk?
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #24
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,064
Default Re: **** you, colin kaepernick

It's also funny this happened at a point in his career where he won't be on a team soon.
It's a publicity stunt. People said he is so brave b/c he has a lot to lose. Really? He is a backup QB that was in danger of getting cut. It's not like it was tom brady out there doing this.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com