ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #151
sdcloud9
Starter

Default Re: OU vs Tech 3pm CST on ESPNU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
We shouldnt blame this on individual players. If Matt was put in a position where his role was limited then he'd be fine. For that role. But poor recruiting and retention has led to him being asked to do too much. As a stretch 4 playing some zone he could be used. This is poor coaching and piss poor design. I know AAU guys who would coach circles around this group from effort alone.
It's a total state of the program....the players are overmatched and the coaching staff has no answers. We keep hearing about the recruits for next year but how long will it take to get things turned around.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #152
AdaSooner
Administrator

I hope a reporter at the postgame press conference has the nerve to ask Lon if heís embarrassed yet? I know I am, and Iím not raking in the cheese to produce a product like the one weíre watching right now.

We canít blame the players anymore. The common denominator for three straight years of a poor excuse for a basketball team is COACHING! Do all of us a favor and wave goodbye on your way out of town, Lon!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #153
Soonerinkc
All-American

Well...another day.

I may not actually go into sprint to watch game. I work hard for my $ and not paying $65 for this...sad.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #154
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I hope a reporter at the postgame press conference has the nerve to ask Lon if heís embarrassed yet? I know I am, and Iím not raking in the cheese to produce a product like the one weíre watching right now.

We canít blame the players anymore. The common denominator for three straight years of a poor excuse for a basketball team is COACHING! Do all of us a favor and wave goodbye on your way out of town, Lon!
Yup
Old 02-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #155
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post

agreed ada. I can't help but think that a younger, hungrier coach would be doing more to get a consistent EFFORT out of these kids.

The EFFORT and DISCIPLINE your teams show is the hallmark of your coaching. I see neither in these guys, in spades. And it leads to frustration that makes their play even worse.

If he doesn't step down it's gonna just get worse. Not better.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #156
Soonerinkc
All-American

Later all...be here monday for the game..
Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #157
sooner 1234
Role Player

Come on guys we are a tourney team , haven’t you saw that some computer told us how tough a schedule we have played .....so we must be good .
Just think back to all those early season wins , they mean so much ... let’s look at the season as a whole.
Just like last year , we should think of the good times not the bad .
I mean even though we have been in rebuild mode going on 3 years this wasn’t suppose to be good season anyways , so shouldn’t we be happy ?
The Colley matrix says we should be in , I’m going belive it not some humans who actually watch the games.
I’m just ready for next season , even though this current staff hasn’t developed ONE player in three years ....I know this class will be different .
They are highly ranked , haven’t you seen their rankings?

Last edited by sooner 1234; 02-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.
sooner 1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #158
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner 1234 View Post
Come on guys we are a tourney team , havenít you saw that some computer told us how tough a schedule we have played .....so we must be good .
Just think back to all those early season wins , they mean so much ... letís look at the season as a whole.
Just like last year , we should think of the good times not the bad .
I mean even though we have been in rebuild mode going on 3 years this wasnít suppose to be good season anyways , so shouldnít we be happy ?
The Colley matrix says we should be in , Iím going belive it not some humans who actually watch the games.
Iím just ready for next season , even though this current staff hasnít developed ONE player in three years ....I know this class will be different .
They are highly ranked , havenít you seen their rankings?
I must say ... That is well played.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #159
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
agreed ada. I can't help but think that a younger, hungrier coach would be doing more to get a consistent EFFORT out of these kids.

The EFFORT and DISCIPLINE your teams show is the hallmark of your coaching. I see neither in these guys, in spades. And it leads to frustration that makes their play even worse.

If he doesn't step down it's gonna just get worse. Not better.
Cool you are right,but I don't see him stepping down unless Joe C.pulls the plug & I sure don't see that happening.I guess we can all start an email trail to Joe C.& demand a change.Joe used a lot of energy hiring Lon by asking him 3 times before he accepted the job.Go Sooners!!
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #160
inoref
All-Conference

Lon may be showing signs of his best days are behind him. But to be honest this OU team isn't loaded with top notch talent. I also believe that most of the players have called it a day already. I don't think Lon will be let go but if he is I say the same as when Stoops stepped down..thanks and good luck. Looks like they may finish about where the coaches picked them in pre-season
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #161
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I wonder what he must be thinking about while watching this train wreck.
Traveler, I would consider you the most level-headed poster on this board over the past 10 years. I've never remembered you to show your frustrations like you have lately. That tells me things are really bad with this program right now. I have a hard time watching some of the games, and have been posting less and less. What few posts I've contributed lately have been on the NBA thread. Yesterday's game was over at the 25-13 mark...we often can't stay competitive beyond the first few TV timeouts.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #162
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Traveler, I would consider you the most level-headed poster on this board over the past 10 years. I've never remembered you to show your frustrations like you have lately. That tells me things are really bad with this program right now. I have a hard time watching some of the games, and have been posting less and less. What few posts I've contributed lately have been on the NBA thread. Yesterday's game was over at the 25-13 mark...we often can't stay competitive beyond the first few TV timeouts.
yep. when trav and ada are both saying things then you know it has really turned south.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #163
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

I don't consider myself to be all that level-headed. I mainly miss the "good old days" of consistent year-to-year good basketball teams ... teams that were playing better in February than they did in December.

I don't go to games anymore, yet I miss going to the games. I miss the fun of going to the games, but the games are no longer fun. Here are the last 4 Big-12 HOME games:

LOST 61-74 ... Kansas State
LOST 47-77 ... Baylor
LOST 74-75 ... Iowa State
LOST 54-66 ... Texas Tech
  1. Four (4) AT HOME conference losses in a row.
  2. A conference record of 3-8 ... with little realistic hope for the rest of the schedule.
  • No interest in the Big-12 Tournament
  • No interest in the post season.
  • A team that does not improve late in the season.
  • For the third year in a row.

Yes. I am frustrated.

I have great memories of the Billy Tubbs and Kelvin Sampson eras. Those teams usually improved during the season and mostly won home games, often with miracle finishes in the last minute of the game. It was fun and exciting. Even the highest-ranked visitors to the LNC rarely left Norman with a victory. My gosh, those were fun times. In hindsight, even some of those "ugly wins" are so beautiful now, in my memory.

For me, the High-Water-Mark of the Lon Kruger era took place on January 30, 2016 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I was there inside the Pete Maravich Assembly Center when Buddy, Isaiah and Ryan rallied for a last minute victory. Then somehow, that wonderful team of seniors gets absolutely slaughtered as they are a complete no-show in the Final-4. How does that happen?

It has been downhill ever since. Three long years.

Jeff Capel peaked with an Elite-8 in 2009, then he crashed and burned. No consistency. Just a flash in the pan. Penthouse to outhouse. Program in the dumpster. Lon Kruger has followed the same pattern. Frustration is the order of the day. As much as I personally like Lon, I have no confidence that he is able to right the ship.

Six teams get a 1st round bye in the Big-12 Tournament. Lon's teams cannot even accomplish that.

Lon is the head man and he is responsible for this three (3) year slide. At the end of his 8th season at Oklahoma, the program is not in good shape. I hope Lon fully enjoys his retirement, and right soon.

Last edited by SoonerTraveler; 02-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #164
sooner8
Walk-on

Well said Traveler,Oklahoma basketball is a sad & utterly embarrassing mess right now & it is not fun to watch.Go Sooners!!
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #165
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I don't consider myself to be all that level-headed. I mainly miss the "good old days" of consistent year-to-year good basketball teams ... teams that were playing better in February than they did in December.

I don't go to games anymore, yet I miss going to the games. I miss the fun of going to the games, but the games are no longer fun. Here are the last 4 Big-12 HOME games:

LOST 61-74 ... Kansas State
LOST 47-77 ... Baylor
LOST 74-75 ... Iowa State
LOST 54-66 ... Texas Tech
  1. Four (4) AT HOME conference losses in a row.
  2. A conference record of 3-8 ... with little realistic hope for the rest of the schedule.
  • No interest in the Big-12 Tournament
  • No interest in the post season.
  • A team that does not improve late in the season.
  • For the third year in a row.
Yes. I am frustrated.

I have great memories of the Billy Tubbs and Kelvin Sampson eras. Those teams usually improved during the season and mostly won home games, often with miracle finishes in the last minute of the game. It was fun and exciting. Even the highest-ranked visitors to the LNC rarely left Norman with a victory. My gosh, those were fun times. In hindsight, even some of those "ugly wins" are so beautiful now, in my memory.

For me, the High-Water-Mark of the Lon Kruger era took place on January 30, 2016 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I was there inside the Pete Maravich Assembly Center when Buddy, Isaiah and Ryan rallied for a last minute victory. Then somehow, that wonderful team of seniors gets absolutely slaughtered as they are a complete no-show in the Final-4. How does that happen?

It has been downhill ever since. Three long years.

Jeff Capel peaked with an Elite-8 in 2009, then he crashed and burned. No consistency. Just a flash in the pan. Penthouse to outhouse. Program in the dumpster. Lon Kruger has followed the same pattern. Frustration is the order of the day. As much as I personally like Lon, I have no confidence that he is able to right the ship.

Six teams get a 1st round bye in the Big-12 Tournament. Lon's teams cannot even accomplish that.

Lon is the head man and he is responsible for this three (3) year slide. At the end of his 8th season at Oklahoma, the program is not in good shape. I hope Lon fully enjoys his retirement, and right soon.
Well said, Traveler! I couldn’t add anything if I tried. You also summarized how I feel right now:
Quote:
Yes. I am frustrated.
I won’t bother to repeat what happened at the team meeting after the season ended last year. I believed then and still do that Lon and his players made a pact to go back to the basics that included playing hard and playing good defense. That commitment brought us through the non conference portion of our season with a much better record than anyone expected.

That was before the wheels came off in conference play and Lon lost this team, just as he did last year. Yes, the players are partly to blame. But, this is a theme we have seen before, and it has finally worn thin on me.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect more from a well paid coach than being a cheerleader on the bench by doing his Jason Garrett imitation. If he had something to smile about, he might look just like Jason with that silly grin.

Sorry, folks, but three straight seasons of mediocrity and being embarrassed by teams we used to own is all I can take! This IS NOT OU basketball!!! I’m tired of pretending that everything is going to alright when I don’t feel that way.

I haven’t given up on our players. But, if this coaching staff fails to turn this train wreck around with the players we’ve got coming back and coming in with next year’s recruiting class, they don’t deserve another opportunity to embarrass us again!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #166
coolm
National Champion

I guess it's just me. I think for over $3.1 million per year we deserve a coach who burns the midnight oil daily to keep this team disciplined and invigorated. I'm not seeing that.

IMO the story of Doolittle is telling. They've been trying to get him to "open up" for 3 years. Now maybe it's the years of counseling and therapy I have personally endured but if you can't get that to happen in 3 whole years then you're doing it wrong. You're not doing the homework necessary to find the right triggers. You're not pushing the right buttons and pushing the right buttons is why we pay you $3.1 million per year. You don't get to just say "we've been trying to get him to open up for 3 years". BS. Same for Lattin. Ohhhh so the same. I think Lon has wasted talent we've had for lack of finding how to influence them. And I think that's supposed to be his job. He ain't doing it.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #167
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

I'm so impressed that many of you seem to know exactly what hours Lon is working. So apparently we can conclude that whenever a team is struggling, it means the coach is playing golf and not putting in the hours at the office. Who knew?!?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #168
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I'm so impressed that many of you seem to know exactly what hours Lon is working. So apparently we can conclude that whenever a team is struggling, it means the coach is playing golf and not putting in the hours at the office. Who knew?!?
your passive-aggressive crap reminds me of a professional wrestler. you take little swipes at people and hide the pipewrench behind your back when they confront you directly. it's truly pathetic.

someone is not taking enougn time. coach Lon is responsible. so I blame him. thats why he makes $3.1 million per year. why don't you discuss it substantively instead of always resorting to attacking the messenger personally? I suppose more snide remarks about my occupation are coming next? I will await your next crappy, personal remark.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #169
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Who stated they are privy to how many hours Lon puts forth? Who stated that "whenever a team is struggling, it means the coach is playing golf and not putting in the hours at the office"?
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote