ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
oudna
All-American

Default Re: Victor Iwuakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think we should probably wait till these kids finish high school and show up on campus before we start worrying about whether any will redshirt. Everyone seemed sure Kuath would redshirt, but not only did that not happen, he was Muni's primary backup till the back injury.
To me it seemed they gave Kuath some opportunities the first 6 games, saw he cleary wasn’t ready to contribute, and then his back started acting up....
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #27
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
I think we should probably wait till these kids finish high school and show up on campus before we start worrying about whether any will redshirt. Everyone seemed sure Kuath would redshirt, but not only did that not happen, he was Muni's primary backup till the back injury. I understand why people are leery of the bigs in this class because that clearly hasn't been an area of strength lately, but it also seems premature to get too worked up just because Iwuakor might not arrive in Norman with a fully developed offensive game. There just aren't that many college bigs who are both athletic and skilled right from the start.

I also don't think his situation is all that similar to Doo last season. Doo spent an entire semester away from the team, playing little more than pickup ball, and then had to try to immediately adjust to Big 12 play with only a few practices under his belt. This kid will likely still play plenty of games, AAU or otherwise, between now and arriving in Norman, and then will have months of practices and scrimmages once he starts college. Not playing his senior year is unusual, but if it is really just because of his living situation, that doesn't seem like a big deal.
Your argument becomes invalid when you say he didn't need to redshirt because he was "Muni's backup". Well, Muni is not a complete player so being his backup doesn't say much. I think we can all agree Kuath if not injured probably doesn't make this team any better.

Hopefully Iwuakor is better than any other bigs we have now (not counting Doolittle who isn't much of a "big").

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
To me it seemed they gave Kuath some opportunities the first 6 games, saw he cleary wasnít ready to contribute, and then his back started acting up....
Like the "Trae Young is the reason we made the tourney" argument, there is no way I can refute conspiracies, other than pointing to the fact that it isn't as if OU just gets to pinky promise the NCAA that he has a legitimate injury that prevents him from playing. If teams could pull this off as easily as you seem to think, why wouldn't they do it all the time? RO basically didn't see the court once conference play started three years ago -- why wouldn't they have pulled this stunt then? Does anyone really believe that the same NCAA that nitpicks everything and does almost nothing to benefit players would, in this one situation, basically let players and schools manipulate them?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
I think we should probably wait till these kids finish high school and show up on campus before we start worrying about whether any will redshirt. Everyone seemed sure Kuath would redshirt, but not only did that not happen, he was Muni's primary backup till the back injury. I understand why people are leery of the bigs in this class because that clearly hasn't been an area of strength lately, but it also seems premature to get too worked up just because Iwuakor might not arrive in Norman with a fully developed offensive game. There just aren't that many college bigs who are both athletic and skilled right from the start.

I also don't think his situation is all that similar to Doo last season. Doo spent an entire semester away from the team, playing little more than pickup ball, and then had to try to immediately adjust to Big 12 play with only a few practices under his belt. This kid will likely still play plenty of games, AAU or otherwise, between now and arriving in Norman, and then will have months of practices and scrimmages once he starts college. Not playing his senior year is unusual, but if it is really just because of his living situation, that doesn't seem like a big deal.
Like I said, I hope CT is wrong about redshirting Iwuakor. But Iím not nearly as hopeful now that he is working out on his own. That could change if he finds a good teaching coach and/or an AAU team. Until then, I will remain unconvinced that his unorthodox approach to being in a position to play his freshman season at OU is the right thing to do. Oh, how I would love to be wrong! Victor is the one I was counting on to be ready to play next season.

Iím not the one who said Garang would redshirt (see article below):

Quote:
The plan for Garang, a 6-foot-8 power forward originally from Uganda, is to redshirt the 2019-2020 season, a source said.
https://247sports.com/college/basket...oma-127697755/

Do you think Corbin Merritt will play next season? Someone said early on he was working his way through an injury. Understandable of course. But nothing about his stats makes me believe he will be ready to contribute anytime soon. Itís not like heís sitting out the season. Heís just not putting up the stats I wanted to see.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #30
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
CT, I actually hope you were wrong this time. But, we both know how working out on his own affected Doolittle when he was suspended for the first semester of last year. I donít see anyway this can be a good thing for Iwuakor.

If youíre right and Victor redshirts, that means three 2019 recruits (all bigs) will redshirt next season. When Anyang Garrang announced his commitment he was reported to be a redshirt candidate. Iíve got to believe Corbin Merritt will redshirt too. If you have checked his stats lately, youíll know why I say that.

Right or wrong, is it any wonder the word ďprojectsĒ has been tossed around when the bigs in this recruiting class are the topic of our discussions? Iím thrilled with the guards and wings! Maybe I will feel the same way about our bigs in time. But when the word redshirt is used to describe every big in this class, my confidence level takes a hit.
Wish I wouldn't have said that now. My fault. I just meant a candidate if his offense hasn't improved enough.

I agree we have plenty of bigs. I think a transfer guard is in the cards again.

Victor was a top 150 player by most services, those guys dont RS much.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #31
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Wish I wouldn't have said that now. My fault. I just meant a candidate if his offense hasn't improved enough.

I agree we have plenty of bigs. I think a transfer guard is in the cards again.

Victor was a top 150 player by most services, those guys dont RS much.
No problem, Coach! Guess I took it too hard because Victor is the one I was counting on to help us next season.

Youíre right, we do have plenty of bigs, on paper. I think Doolittle and Manek will be much improved. I feel good about Kur Kauth. Beyond that...well, do I need to say more? Itís the unknown about Freeman and Polla that makes me believe weíre going to need a big from our recruiting class or a grad transfer who will be able to contribute right away. If Matt and/or Hannes work out (and I hope they will), that will be a bonus.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #32
usedtobe1
Administrator

HS seniors don’t usually play AAU basketball following their senior year of eligibility. Iwuakor won’t play until he gets on campus in June. JMHO
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #33
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
HS seniors donít usually play AAU basketball following their senior year of eligibility. Iwuakor wonít play until he gets on campus in June. JMHO
There are AAU tournaments year round going on now. Again I have no idea if he is doing this but he could play if he wants.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #34
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
There are AAU tournaments year round going on now. Again I have no idea if he is doing this but he could play if he wants.
How does that work with all the players playing high school games on Friday nights?
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHoops View Post
How does that work with all the players playing high school games on Friday nights?
Not all players play HS. Mokan Elite (Trae Youngís aau team) sent out a letter telling parents that school ball is pointless & their kidís will get better playing for them all year.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #36
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Great. Wonderful. An athletic "project" who isn't currently playing basketball. My enthusiasm can barely be contained.
You and me both. OU MUST stop recruiting so many of these guys.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #37
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
To me it seemed they gave Kuath some opportunities the first 6 games, saw he cleary wasnít ready to contribute, and then his back started acting up....
Since he is the only other player on our roster resembling a "center", that isn't saying much.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #38
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

After watching us get dominated over and over on the glass I think we need this kid or someone to step up and play. Doolittle I think should move back to the 3 with Manek at the 4. Kuath or this kid at the 5 gives us a good rebounding team.. If we play 3 guards for most of the game I'd guess Harmon, Bienemy and Reaves are those guys and none of them seem like great rebounders.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #39
pnkranger
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
The large majority of tournaments only offer division through 8th grade during basketball season. Some do play high school tournaments during school ball season, but not many.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #40
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
After watching us get dominated over and over on the glass I think we need this kid or someone to step up and play. Doolittle I think should move back to the 3 with Manek at the 4. Kuath or this kid at the 5 gives us a good rebounding team.. If we play 3 guards for most of the game I'd guess Harmon, Bienemy and Reaves are those guys and none of them seem like great rebounders.
As long as Doolittle and Manek are both playing at the same time, this team will struggle. First, neither is anything more than an average player. Second, they are both stretch 4's in today's game. Neither has any business playing the 3, and they certainly aren't 5's. The problem is that even if one is at the 4, we're soft at the 5. That is a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #41
Stikboy
All-Conference

OK so now that we're hearing that Victor Iw could be a redshirt candidate, who in this class besides Harmon can we hang our hat on to help turn this thing around? Are any of these recruits difference makers, or are people just hoping?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #42
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
OK so now that we're hearing that Victor Iw could be a redshirt candidate, who in this class besides Harmon can we hang our hat on to help turn this thing around? Are any of these recruits difference makers, or are people just hoping?
I said RS. Shouldnt have. My fault.

I think williams, harmon, hill will play a ton right away.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #43
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
A project?? The kid is a 4 star Top 150 player by everyone! His strengths are shot blocking and rebounding...but does have some offense in his game...he's far from a "project"!

Some of you, if given the choice, will pick the negative POV 100% of the time!!!

It's beyond OLD!
Agreed. If he's healthy, I can't see how he wouldn't play. He may not be a major contributor on the offensive end early on, but that doesn't mean he can't help on defense, on the boards, and in screening.

Half this board does go with the worst case scenario whenever given the chance. I wonder if they're like this in their interactions at work or school and with their families.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #44
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
I said RS. Shouldnt have. My fault.

I think williams, harmon, hill will play a ton right away.
Coachtalk, trust me I am not trying to beat you up over making that redshirt comment. I'm just trying to get a real picture of what we really got. I don't understand the Corbin Merritt signing. Just like I didn't get the Kuath or Polla ones, either.

I think people are ready for some real difference makers and less sunshine(not naming any names) because these last 3 years have been torture..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #45
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
A project?? The kid is a 4 star Top 150 player by everyone! His strengths are shot blocking and rebounding...but does have some offense in his game...he's far from a "project"!

Some of you, if given the choice, will pick the negative POV 100% of the time!!!

It's beyond OLD!
Being able to rebound at 210 pounds in HS and AAU is A LOT different than being able to rebound and defend in college at that size.

He's a project. And he'll need to put on good weight before he is more than just a warm body.

Why do OU fans do this every year?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #46
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Coachtalk, trust me I am not trying to beat you up over making that redshirt comment. I'm just trying to get a real picture of what we really got. I don't understand the Corbin Merritt signing. Just like I didn't get the Kuath or Polla ones, either.

I think people are ready for some real difference makers and less sunshine(not naming any names) because these last 3 years have been torture..
I think Coach is right about Harmon, Hill and Williams. You can also add Austin Reaves to that list. IMO, those four will be an upgrade over the players moving on.

Add our returning players and I think weíve got a good chance at a respectable season next year. Kur Kauth will be eligible too. You know as much about him as I do.

I really like what I have seen of Iwuakor. I havenít seen enough of the others to have an opinion.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #47
CoachTalk
Final Four

Victor was ranked 96th in this class by 24/7.

He will play.

Of course, offense can improve, Of course, he needs to add good weight.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #48
CoachTalk
Final Four

Impact guard transfer is a most. I think we will get one.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #49
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Impact guard transfer is a most. I think we will get one.
You donít think a grad transfer big would be better? Returning guard/wingsóBieniemy and Reaves. Guard/wings coming inóHarmon, Hill and Williams.

Iím more comfortable with our backcourt than our front court. I think Manek, Doolittle and Kauth will be fine. Iím not as comfortable as I would like to be with our back ups. Freeman (if heís still around) could contribute if he was more consistent from the perimeter. That still doesnít do much for his defense. I have almost no confidence in Polla. I donít know what to expect from the bigs in next yearís recruiting class? There are too many unknowns right now.

I would rather see our coaches go after an impact grad transfer big. If one of our current bigs transfers, or someone doesnít make it in, sign two or use one of those ships on a grad transfer guard.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #50
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
You don’t think a grad transfer big would be better? Returning guard/wings—Bieniemy and Reaves. Guard/wings coming in—Harmon, Hill and Williams.

I’m more comfortable with our backcourt than our front court. I think Manek, Doolittle and Kauth will be fine. I’m not as comfortable as I would like to be with our back ups. Freeman (if he’s still around) could contribute if he was more consistent from the perimeter. That still doesn’t do much for his defense. I have almost no confidence in Polla. I don’t know what to expect from the bigs in next year’s recruiting class? There are too many unknowns right now.

I would rather see our coaches go after an impact grad transfer big. If one of our current bigs transfers, or someone doesn’t make it in, sign two or use one of those ships on a grad transfer guard.
You should have 3 or 4 guards/wings on the court at all times. That means your roster balance should be like 8-9 guards/wings, and 4-5 bigs. You're suggesting having 8 bigs and 5 guards/wings. That can't happen. This team is already loaded up with way too many big men.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote