ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
sperry
All-American

Default Victor Iwuakor

Doesn't appear to be playing anywhere this season. Anyone have any insight? Is he expected to be good to go for next year?
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
AdaSooner
Administrator

Default Re: Victor Iwuakor

I had planned to ask that same question after I found this article that says three Sulphur Sorings players planned to transfer to Waco Midway. A post connected to the article said Iwuakor and Ezedinma are the adopted sons of Jefferson’s parents. In other words, they’re brothers who want to stay together.

http://frontporchnewstexas.com/index...9-school-year/

Here’s the confusing part. Ezedinma and Jefferson are on Waco Midway’s current roster. Iwuakor is not. He’s no longer on Sulphur Springs current roster either, so I don’t have a clue where or if he is in high school right now?

I uncovered the mystery and in doing so created another one. Maybe someone else can tell us where Victor is going to school now? Vbdad, ouleopard, CoachTalk? Does anyone know what is going on with this kid?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I had planned to ask that same question after I found this article that says three Sulphur Sorings players planned to transfer to Waco Midway. A post connected to the article said Iwuakor and Ezedinma are the adopted sons of Jefferson’s parents. In other words, they’re brothers who want to stay together.

http://frontporchnewstexas.com/index...9-school-year/

Here’s the confusing part. Ezedinma and Jefferson are on Waco Midway’s current roster. Iwuakor is not. He’s no longer on Sulphur Springs current roster either, so I don’t have a clue where or if he is in high school right now?

I uncovered the mystery and in doing so created another one. Maybe someone else can tell us where Victor is going to school now? Vbdad, ouleopard, CoachTalk? Does anyone know what is going on with this kid?

I checked his twitter, and all he tweets about basketball related is Sulphur Springs stuff. I'm almost positive he's not playing anywhere this season.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
CoachTalk
Final Four

He’s just training... the folks he was staying with in Sulphur Springs moved to Waco and he didn’t want to go. He lives in Southlake
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
He’s just training... the folks he was staying with in Sulphur Springs moved to Waco and he didn’t want to go. He lives in Southlake
Good news...I think. Is he still in school? If so, is he playing on a high school team or “just training.” My concern is that he will need to complete his high school academic requirements to be eligible to attend OU this fall. Is that correct?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Good news...I think. Is he still in school? If so, is he playing on a high school team or “just training.” My concern is that he will need to complete his high school academic requirements to be eligible to attend OU this fall. Is that correct?
The guy I spoke to said this.

Yes he is at southlake carroll. NO HS team this year. He is still going to school

Training like its a redshirt year of HS. No team/no games/ just on his own trainers etc.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
sperry
All-American

Yikes, that cannot be a good sign. He must be ineligible for some reason?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
because he doesn't live with a legal guardian.

Same as if it were in Oklahoma
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Not really. I’ll admit that working out on his own may not be ideal for his growth and development as a basketball player. Reminds me of the semester Doolittle sat out. The reports were all good, working out at a local high school, etc. But when he returned to the team it was obvious his time away affected his performance.

As for Iwuakor, I think how he finishes his high school careerr academically is the key to being eligible to attend and play at OU.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
CoachTalk
Final Four

Id say he is a RS candidate anyway. Offensively he needs to improve.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
Sooner04
All-Conference

Great. Wonderful. An athletic "project" who isn't currently playing basketball. My enthusiasm can barely be contained.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:33 PM   #12
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Great. Wonderful. An athletic "project" who isn't currently playing basketball. My enthusiasm can barely be contained.
You still believe the only HS basketball being played is the 20 or so games a year done at the school?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
You still believe the only HS basketball being played is the 20 or so games a year done at the school?
During the season, yes.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #14
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Id say he is a RS candidate anyway. Offensively he needs to improve.
Anyang, our latest juco commit, is reported to be a redshirt candidate. Is that correct? Corbin Merritt’s stats seem to suggest that he won’t be playing anytime soon, which is why I was hoping Iwuakor would be ready to play.

Who do do we have left? Doolittle and Manek, of course. Brady needs to add a few pounds of muscle by next season. But they will give us a solid foundation in the front court if Kur Kauth is ready to contribute.

I’m not nearly as confident about our reserves. Freeman can help offensively if he is shooting well from the perimeter. But he has been very inconsistent his entire career and he’s not a good defender. That leaves Polla. As much as I hate to say it, nothing I have seen from him so far leads me to believe he will be an adequate back up. Sure hope I’m wrong.

I’m excited about our guards and wings—the returning players as well as our newcomers. The jury is still out for me on our front court. Too many projects and players who won’t be ready to contribute, again. In other words, more of the same when it comes to recruiting bigs. Maybe we’ll get lucky and sign a grad transfer with some beef! Do we have a scholarship left?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Anyang, our latest juco commit, is reported to be a redshirt candidate. Is that correct? Corbin Merritt’s stats seem to suggest that he won’t be playing anytime soon, which is why I was hoping Iwuakor would be ready to play.

Who do do we have left? Doolittle and Manek, of course. Brady needs to add a few pounds of muscle by next season. But they will give us a solid foundation in the front court if Kur Kauth is ready to contribute.

I’m not nearly as confident about our reserves. Freeman can help offensively if he is shooting well from the perimeter. But he has been very inconsistent his entire career and he’s not a good defender. That leaves Polla. As much as I hate to say it, nothing I have seen from him so far leads me to believe he will be an adequate back up. Sure hope I’m wrong.

I’m excited about our guards and wings—the returning players as well as our newcomers. The jury is still out for me on our front court. Too many projects and players who won’t be ready to contribute, again. In other words, more of the same when it comes to recruiting bigs. Maybe we’ll get lucky and sign a grad transfer with some beef! Do we have a scholarship left?
The more I think about it, the more it's clear Lon has gotta go. College basketball is a guard's game, yet he will be dedicating 8 of our 13 scholarships to frontcourt players, most of whom are HUGE projects. Like what on earth is he doing?

I like our 7 man rotation. The problem is, instead of having high school guards to develop waiting in the wings, it's a bunch of failed projects and fringe JUCO guy bigs. That crushes your chances at long term succes.

Last edited by sperry; 02-05-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #16
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
During the season, yes.
AAU is year round nowadays. I have no idea if he is doing this btw.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:

I believe we are out of scholarships unless we have a transfer

Last edited by Max Power; 02-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #18
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:

Freeman keeps shooting it though. Every time he does, I just cringe. 2 years ago I kept thinking he was on the verge of hitting shots and being an impact player. Now, I just think at what point does he stop shooting?

As for Polla, he can make free throws. I'm of the belief to just put him out there and play him until he fouls out every game. He can't be any worse than what we are doing now and he's big.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
I laughed.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
During the season, yes.
So he'll be practicing now and be playing games 8-9 months of the year. I don't see the concern.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #21
cvangild
Role Player

Quote:
A project?? The kid is a 4 star Top 150 player by everyone! His strengths are shot blocking and rebounding...but does have some offense in his game...he's far from a "project"!

Some of you, if given the choice, will pick the negative POV 100% of the time!!!

It's beyond OLD!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
A project?? The kid is a 4 star Top 150 player by everyone! His strengths are shot blocking and rebounding...but does have some offense in his game...he's far from a "project"!

Some of you, if given the choice, will pick the negative POV 100% of the time!!!

It's beyond OLD!
Facts.

High motor. Defender. Can score but always room to improve.

Maybe I misspoke about RS. That was opinion.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Facts.

High motor. Defender. Can score but always room to improve.

Maybe I misspoke about RS. That was opinion.
CT, I actually hope you were wrong this time. But, we both know how working out on his own affected Doolittle when he was suspended for the first semester of last year. I don’t see anyway this can be a good thing for Iwuakor.

If you’re right and Victor redshirts, that means three 2019 recruits (all bigs) will redshirt next season. When Anyang Garrang announced his commitment he was reported to be a redshirt candidate. I’ve got to believe Corbin Merritt will redshirt too. If you have checked his stats lately, you’ll know why I say that.

Right or wrong, is it any wonder the word “projects” has been tossed around when the bigs in this recruiting class are the topic of our discussions? I’m thrilled with the guards and wings! Maybe I will feel the same way about our bigs in time. But when the word redshirt is used to describe every big in this class, my confidence level takes a hit.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Redshirting is basically pointless. In the one and done era and transfer friendly environment, coaches need results quickly. Its almost pointless to redshirt. If theyre needing to you might as well recruit someone else. Rather than tie up a scholly for 5 years. But if you are going to redshirt anyone, big men are prolly the only position you should..

We need waaayy more guards and shooting and less lanky projects that prolly wont get any better than mcnease

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #25
WichitaSooner
Starter

I think we should probably wait till these kids finish high school and show up on campus before we start worrying about whether any will redshirt. Everyone seemed sure Kuath would redshirt, but not only did that not happen, he was Muni's primary backup till the back injury. I understand why people are leery of the bigs in this class because that clearly hasn't been an area of strength lately, but it also seems premature to get too worked up just because Iwuakor might not arrive in Norman with a fully developed offensive game. There just aren't that many college bigs who are both athletic and skilled right from the start.

I also don't think his situation is all that similar to Doo last season. Doo spent an entire semester away from the team, playing little more than pickup ball, and then had to try to immediately adjust to Big 12 play with only a few practices under his belt. This kid will likely still play plenty of games, AAU or otherwise, between now and arriving in Norman, and then will have months of practices and scrimmages once he starts college. Not playing his senior year is unusual, but if it is really just because of his living situation, that doesn't seem like a big deal.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote