ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,385
Default OU down to a #10 seed

on espn

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
61sooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 443
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Is that in the CBI Tournament?
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
Is that in the CBI Tournament?
nope NCAA and not in the last 4
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

The problem is I don't think these project records moving forward. I.e. OU is 15-7 and would be a 10 seed in the tourney if the season ended today. But that doesn't factor in that OU will only be a favorite in one or two of its remaining games (WVU for sure, Texas maybe).
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 661
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
Is that in the CBI Tournament?
Stfu for the constant negativity.

It's as if some of you want them to lose.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
oketex
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
nope NCAA and not in the last 4
Guys we have 8 games left plus the Big 12 Tourney, we need to win 5 of the 8 games plus 1 in order to get into the big dance, anything less we will be watching from home.

One of the things I noticed last night was - our kids (I want name anyone )stand flat footed and therefore we don't get the rebounds that we should. I have been around basketball all my life and have seen and heard coaches teaching kids to be on the balls of the feet to get the jumping power. We aren't doing that just standing there and therefore can't move to the ball.

I don't think Lon needs to go but I do believe he needs to look at his assistants and maybe make a change or two. We need teaching/coaches not just individuals drawing a pay check.

oketex
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oketex View Post
Guys we have 8 games left plus the Big 12 Tourney, we need to win 5 of the 8 games plus 1 in order to get into the big dance, anything less we will be watching from home.

One of the things I noticed last night was - our kids (I want name anyone )stand flat footed and therefore we don't get the rebounds that we should. I have been around basketball all my life and have seen and heard coaches teaching kids to be on the balls of the feet to get the jumping power. We aren't doing that just standing there and therefore can't move to the ball.

I don't think Lon needs to go but I do believe he needs to look at his assistants and maybe make a change or two. We need teaching/coaches not just individuals drawing a pay check.

oketex
so you think OU needs 21 wins with a top 10 SOS (currently #5 SOS) to make the tourney??


4 more wins OU is a LOCK

3 more they are on the bubble
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #8
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,364
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
so you think OU needs 21 wins with a top 10 SOS (currently #5 SOS) to make the tourney??


4 more wins OU is a LOCK

3 more they are on the bubble
Don't try to talk logic -- heck, there are some posters who still think we won't make last year's tournament! I remember all the folks who thought we needed two or three more wins last season, even though every projection had us safely in. Of course, when we made it, they tried to cover themselves by saying we only made it because the NCAA wanted Trae in. I wonder how they will rationalize it if we make it this year. Maybe the committee wants to see Lazenby's OU career end on a good note?

Hard to say exactly how many more wins we need because so much depends on what happens in other leagues and in the conference tourneys. The good thing is that other than West Virginia, every win we get the rest of the way will be a good win because of the strength of the league. But the team needs to get things righted quickly or winning four won't be possible.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Don't try to talk logic -- heck, there are some posters who still think we won't make last year's tournament! I remember all the folks who thought we needed two or three more wins last season, even though every projection had us safely in. Of course, when we made it, they tried to cover themselves by saying we only made it because the NCAA wanted Trae in. I wonder how they will rationalize it if we make it this year. Maybe the committee wants to see Lazenby's OU career end on a good note?

Hard to say exactly how many more wins we need because so much depends on what happens in other leagues and in the conference tourneys. The good thing is that other than West Virginia, every win we get the rest of the way will be a good win because of the strength of the league. But the team needs to get things righted quickly or winning four won't be possible.
so much this
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,631
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
so you think OU needs 21 wins with a top 10 SOS (currently #5 SOS) to make the tourney??


4 more wins OU is a LOCK

3 more they are on the bubble
Not sure about 4 wins, but I do believe 5 wins would make us a lock. The problem is where in the hell are we going to find five wins with the way this team is playing?.....texas, WV, tech all at home and maybe TCU on the road. And then maybe win one in KC. That is the best scenario I could come up with....but I just don't see it playing out that way as of now.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Has a team with a sub 40% conference winning percentage ever made the tournament?

To boot, we've played a tough schedule, but we haven't beaten a single team that is likely to make the tournament. Last year's team had three wins against top 4 seeds.

I mean seriously. 3 more wins this team finishes 6-12 in conference and has a record of 18-14, and that's a "bubble team"? Lol.

Last edited by sperry; 02-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #12
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,385
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Has a team with a sub 40% conference winning percentage ever made the tournament?

To boot, we've played a tough schedule, but we haven't beaten a single team that is likely to make the tournament. Last year's team had three wins against top 4 seeds.

I mean seriously. 3 more wins this team finishes 6-12 in conference and has a record of 18-14, and that's a "bubble team"? Lol.
it would absolutly be a bubble team
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #13
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,752
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
it would absolutly be a bubble team
18-14 with a 6-12 conference record is a bubble team. Wut.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,239
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
it would absolutly be a bubble team
Agreed, if OU scheduled a weak OOC schedule they would definitely be out. Benefits of playing a brutal schedule & not cupcakes just to easily get 20 wins.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,193
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

I suppose 7/11 gets us in...we'll see.

The problem is we need 4 more wins...
Home:
tt
ut
wv
ku

Road:
bu
tcu
isu
ksu

Where they coming from? They ONLY game I see is home - wv...maybe.

2 comments I've seen...
some of you want them to lose - NO, just write what we see
can't talk logic - lol...what "logic" tells ya this team definitely can win 4 more games? Not saying it's a definite no, but the TREND is not good.

Last night righted the ship better and considering 5 of the 8 are 6/4 or better in the league it's going to be a very uphill battle.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,760
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

We will beat tech, ut, and wvu at home. That 4th win is going to be tricky. Really hope it is against KU.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #17
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,193
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

I'll add...

so yesterday BEFORE the game we were a #6 seed (usa today)

today after our 1 pt (really 4 pt) loss to a ranked isu squad we drop to a #10 seed.

Something tells me a couple more losses and we won't be a seed....unless it's a push at 4-4...

we'll see...going to the B12 and cheer them on, like I have the last few years.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,364
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
I suppose 7/11 gets us in...we'll see.

The problem is we need 4 more wins...
Home:
tt
ut
wv
ku

Road:
bu
tcu
isu
ksu

Where they coming from? They ONLY game I see is home - wv...maybe.

2 comments I've seen...
some of you want them to lose - NO, just write what we see
can't talk logic - lol...what "logic" tells ya this team definitely can win 4 more games? Not saying it's a definite no, but the TREND is not good.

Last night righted the ship better and considering 5 of the 8 are 6/4 or better in the league it's going to be a very uphill battle.
I don't think I have read anyone predict that we will definitely win x number of games. People are just debating how many wins it will take to get in, and that's where the logic part plays in -- being able to objectively look at OU's resume and estimate how many wins we need, setting aside personal opinions about whether a team "should" make it based on how they currently look.

But I also think it that just like it was foolish for people to predict a few weeks back that we could run the table at home, or win 5 in a row, or should hammer Baylor because they are "awful," it is equally foolish to currently assume that we are likely to lose 7 of our last 8. It's sports, games don't always go according to plan. Were many of you expecting Indiana to win at Michigan State on Saturday to break a losing streak far longer than ours?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #19
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,193
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
We will beat tech, ut, and wvu at home. That 4th win is going to be tricky. Really hope it is against KU.
we'll see what happens tonight, ku is getting into a groove...should be a good one.

pulling for ksu.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #20
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,193
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I don't think I have read anyone predict that we will definitely win x number of games. People are just debating how many wins it will take to get in, and that's where the logic part plays in -- being able to objectively look at OU's resume and estimate how many wins we need, setting aside personal opinions about whether a team "should" make it based on how they currently look.

But I also think it that just like it was foolish for people to predict a few weeks back that we could run the table at home, or win 5 in a row, or should hammer Baylor because they are "awful," it is equally foolish to currently assume that we are likely to lose 7 of our last 8. It's sports, games don't always go according to plan. Were many of you expecting Indiana to win at Michigan State on Saturday to break a losing streak far longer than ours?
I understand your point. My ref is the logic that the team can win 4 or 5 games. Yes, things happen..no one thought wv would beat ku..they did.

Besides wv and ut...I don't see games that OU will be favored in. Like last night, I was surprised. Didn't expect a bu thrashing but isu is pretty good, they've got 5 guys+ that can score.

I liked how we attacked the rim...then got away from it in the early 2nd half...and again our def rebounding (giving up way too many off boards) killed us.

Last night the team actually looked like they were playing together for the most part. Hopefully it can continue.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
Hollisp
Role Player
 
Hollisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 600
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
I'll add...

so yesterday BEFORE the game we were a #6 seed (usa today)

today after our 1 pt (really 4 pt) loss to a ranked isu squad we drop to a #10 seed.

Something tells me a couple more losses and we won't be a seed....unless it's a push at 4-4...

we'll see...going to the B12 and cheer them on, like I have the last few years.
I’ll be there as well. Anywhere I have to go eat, drink, etc
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,605
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
today after our 1 pt (really 4 pt) loss to a ranked isu squad
Why was it "really" a 4-pt loss?
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,467
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollisp View Post
I’ll be there as well. Anywhere I have to go eat, drink, etc
I will be there too, wearing my crimson and cheering on the boys. Possibly boo'ing the refs too, if it's called for (with the big 12 it usually is ).

__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #24
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,467
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
I suppose 7/11 gets us in...we'll see.

The problem is we need 4 more wins...
Home:
tt
ut
wv
ku

Road:
bu
tcu
isu
ksu

Where they coming from? They ONLY game I see is home - wv...maybe.

2 comments I've seen...
some of you want them to lose - NO, just write what we see
can't talk logic - lol...what "logic" tells ya this team definitely can win 4 more games? Not saying it's a definite no, but the TREND is not good.

Last night righted the ship better and considering 5 of the 8 are 6/4 or better in the league it's going to be a very uphill battle.
This.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,066
Default Re: OU down to a #10 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Why was it "really" a 4-pt loss?
Because the ball was still in Jamal’s hand at the buzzer
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com