ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
trueblue
Walk-on

Default Still wondering if Ryan Spangler would have signed with OU if offered???

Well wonder no more.....

He sat in front of me last night at the OU-texas game and cheered for OU, and even put on the free white OU shirt.

He is from Bridge Creek (about 20 minutes from Norman), but signed with Gonzaga. He wasn't offered by OU.
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
One More Rebound
Starter

Default Re: Still wondering if Ryan Spangler would have signed with OU if offered??

I can't help but believe that this is a big mistake on Coach Capel's part.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Default Re: Still wondering if Ryan Spangler would have signed with OU if offered??

Kind of annoys me.. If he's good enough there he's def good enough for ou.. Take the kids that are wanted by other schools especially if he's dying to be here

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Romulus
Starter

You're a big mistake
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
htownSOONER
Role Player

Rom you are better than that.
htownSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
ousooners1baby
Role Player

Surely Rom was playing htown.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Romulus
Starter

One More Rebound is a brother from another Mother
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
One More Rebound
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
You're a big mistake
Hard to get happy after that one...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
One More Rebound
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
One More Rebound is a brother from another Mother
We kid around on other boards-sometimes this board takes that kidding a little too seriously. Rom and I are both fellow Laker fans, so we have to stick together against the Laker haters...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by One More Rebound View Post
We kid around on other boards-sometimes this board takes that kidding a little too seriously. Rom and I are both fellow Laker fans, so we have to stick together against the Laker haters...
Now what idiot would hate such a team as the LAKERS??
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
Now what idiot would hate such a team as the LAKERS??
Exactly! If a fight breaks out, I want you guys on my side.

GO LAKERS!!!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
MNsooner
Administrator

People like the Lakers? People in LA don't even like the Lakers. Why else would they show up to games in the second quarter and leave in the third?
“Very few coaches have been able to change cultures as quickly and successfully as Lon Kruger. He understands how to mold a group of individuals into one team with a common goal and has proven that time and time again. Lon has high standards for all those around him and he possesses a passion for winning, but not at any cost. That is arguably his strongest trait.”

Larry Brown
MNsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
One More Rebound
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsooner View Post
People like the Lakers? People in LA don't even like the Lakers. Why else would they show up to games in the second quarter and leave in the third?
So they can get in line to eat the free tacos!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
OUguy1989
Walk-on

I know im going to recieve some hate over this but I have seen Spangler play and seen the competition he plays for and I have to say he would have been a huge risk to take esspecially with the state of the program. He has probable a 5inch average over everyone he plays...all the schools they play are small schools with small kids. A really good friend of mine name Rebel Paulk, who played at Blanchard was 7ft and dominated high school he was recruited by Billy Tubbs at TCU and signed with them..he did not fair to well in college because he never played against anyone his own height so kids like this are a big risk and that risk does not need to be taken by Capel and the state of the program if this kid was a couple years sooner following the Elite 8 trip capel would have offered guaranteed. take it easy on me lol
OUguy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNsooner View Post
Come on MN, aren't you up on the Trendy way things are done in LA???:p:p

It is so NOT COOL in LA to get to a big event on time....
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUguy1989 View Post
I know im going to recieve some hate over this but I have seen Spangler play and seen the competition he plays for and I have to say he would have been a huge risk to take esspecially with the state of the program. He has probable a 5inch average over everyone he plays...all the schools they play are small schools with small kids. A really good friend of mine name Rebel Paulk, who played at Blanchard was 7ft and dominated high school he was recruited by Billy Tubbs at TCU and signed with them..he did not fair to well in college because he never played against anyone his own height so kids like this are a big risk and that risk does not need to be taken by Capel and the state of the program if this kid was a couple years sooner following the Elite 8 trip capel would have offered guaranteed. take it easy on me lol
ok good im glad to hear this.. small school kids generally do suck especially the ones that dont do the summer circuit so they seriously only play small school kids..

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
bmd23
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUguy1989 View Post
The difference is Spangler played for Athletes First and had NO problems with playing against players his size or bigger than him. Ou and Osu Missed on this kid just like they did Americ Fields last year.
bmd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
campbest
Final Four

He may have helped, he may not have. However, if you look at Gonzaga's recent teams I have not been impressed with the post players they have offered.

Batista was the last solid "5" man they got and he came from JUCO. BTW he was a load in JUCO, probably had 20 and 10 on us in the first half.
campbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
JBaker
Elite Eight

Hasn't the kid who chose them over us last year ridden the bench all season?
JBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
Sooner Tyra
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker View Post
Hasn't the kid who chose them over us last year ridden the bench all season?
True glad we didnt get him, but I sure wish we would have gotten Poland he is on sportscenter like once a week kid has some hops.
Sooner Tyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #21
Will_Jennings
OUHoops.com Reporter

Ryan's recruitment started to pick up after the Peach Jam tournament in Atlanta. Many coaches thought he was going to play football and before that tournament, he was projected as a mid major prospect. By the time his stock rose, OU was unsure about their scholarship situation, only really having one spot which pretty much was promised to Goff since they recruited him going on three years. I can tell you that Ryan is a OU football fan and would have given OU some serious consideration if offered a scholarship. However, with that said, it doesn't automatically mean OU would have landed him.
Will_Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #22
trueblue
Walk-on

As many have mentioned, he did play for Athlete's First and had no problem with players his own size.

Also, take it from someone who has watched Ryan play dozens of games (and no, I'm not related to him) Ryan does play with his back to the basket on his high school team, but he doesn't live down on the block. He does occasionally step out and hit some 3's, and shoots (and makes) a lot from the elbow.

And to william who said "it doesn't automatically mean OU would have landed him" if offered....may not have been "automatic" but it was about 99% automatic.
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
As many have mentioned, he did play for Athlete's First and had no problem with players his own size.

Also, take it from someone who has watched Ryan play dozens of games (and no, I'm not related to him) Ryan does play with his back to the basket on his high school team, but he doesn't live down on the block. He does occasionally step out and hit some 3's, and shoots (and makes) a lot from the elbow.

And to william who said "it doesn't automatically mean OU would have landed him" if offered....may not have been "automatic" but it was about 99% automatic.
Well, then why did he sign so early??? That doesn't make any sense...
Section31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klegg View Post
Well, then why did he sign so early??? That doesn't make any sense...
why are you acting like getting an offer from gonzaga is small potatoes. they are a much better program than us right now

Max Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Section31
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
why are you acting like getting an offer from gonzaga is small potatoes. they are a much better program than us right now
I'm not...I'M not the one proclaiming his LOVE for OU...
Section31 is offline   Reply With Quote