ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
MrAnderson
Walk-on

Default Is Kelvin a realistic option?

If next year goes badly and Lon gets fired why wouldn't we go after Kelvin? And isnt Hollis Price on his staff? He could be Kelvin's successor.

I miss his hard nosed, disciplined teams. They were consistent. That's OU basketball imo. That was a program I was proud to support.
MrAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
inoref
All-Conference

Default Re: Is Kelvin a realistic option?

I say the chance is sightly less than zero
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
Hollisp
Role Player

No
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
sanguinetti
Role Player

if i was UCLA i'd throw a lot of money at Kelvin.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
oketex
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
if i was UCLA i'd throw a lot of money at Kelvin.
I watch Kevin and his team today and they play hard and fast, I sure miss having him on the sidelines. I was wondering if Lon retired would OU consider bring Kevin and Kellen back because watching the game today Kellen was as active as any assistant coach I have seen.
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Soonerinkc
All-American

Double less than 0...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
WTSooner
National Champion

I'm probably one of the biggest Kelvin fans on this planet. There is zero chance. No way Joe C. is going to bring back a coach that he partially ran off and that got our program in trouble. And no way Kelvin is going to leave Houston at this point. He has it made in Houston. Expectations aren't super high. They appreciate ANY style of winning basketball. Brand new arena. Superb marketing (along with their football) to drum of support. UH lets him hire his son and former players. Access to better talent than at OU.

So no, I don't think it's a fit from either side at this point. And that is too bad. Dude is one heck of a coach.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
MrAnderson
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I'm probably one of the biggest Kelvin fans on this planet. There is zero chance. No way Joe C. is going to bring back a coach that he partially ran off and that got our program in trouble. And no way Kelvin is going to leave Houston at this point. He has it made in Houston. Expectations aren't super high. They appreciate ANY style of winning basketball. Brand new arena. Superb marketing (along with their football) to drum of support. UH lets him hire his son and former players. Access to better talent than at OU.

So no, I don't think it's a fit from either side at this point. And that is too bad. Dude is one heck of a coach.
You talk as if Houston is a better job than OU...I'm not saying it isnt, but are you arguing that?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
Sooner81
Banned

NEVER ever ever.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
You talk as if Houston is a better job than OU...I'm not saying it isnt, but are you arguing that?
Not really. But it's probably a better job for Kelvin at this point in his career. And I think I could argue that Houston probably has a higher ceiling as a program than OU. They are making a big push to be the next school that gets swooped up come expansion. But even if they don't, this isn't like college football. A team from the American can make the Dance and make some noise.

OU football is easily a top 5 program. Do they ever lose out on recruits to lesser programs? Not all prospects just want to go to the school with the best chance at winning. Coaching is no different. Especially for an older dude like Kelvin. MANY things higher on his list than which school has more history. Houston gave him a chance to get back into college bball, and they've pretty much handed the keys over to him. I think his daughter even has a job in the athletic department there. He isn't going to just walk away from that program. Matter of fact, I wouldn't be shocked if there was something in his contract that said he couldn't.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
kansasooner
Walk-on

Best coach in America.
kansasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 AM   #12
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
The Houston program was just clamoring for someone like Kelvin to turn it around. Like OU (and Illinois), Houston has been to 5 Final Fours without winning a title. They were a true national power when Guy Lewis was the head coach. They also claim three of the top 50 NBA players of all time in Hakeem Olajuwan, Elvin Hayes and Clyde Drexler. In other words, it is potentially a very good job since they are located in the 4th largest city in America with unlimited talent to pull from. I see no reason for Kelvin to want to leave there, though the UCLA job would be enticing if offered.

As for our Sooners, we need to look forward, not backward - as much as I liked Kelvin Sampson. Lon Kruger was the perfect coach at the time of his being hired because it showed the NCAA OU was looking to clean up its mess. Hiring Kruger no doubt resulted in the NCAA going easy on us. Now it appears it is time for him to enjoy retirement (and if one more year like this year, it will happen). We need an energetic coach who at least has shown multiple years of his teams getting the most out of his talent - while showing he can recruit that talent.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #13
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
The sustained consistent success during the decades of the Tubbs-Sampson era is what made the Oklahoma basketball program a Top-20 national basketball program. The good national reputation was earned and maintained by these coaches.

The deep valleys of the Capel-Kruger multi-season collapse is slowly wearing away at the OU basketball tradition. Right now, Houston looks like a basketball program on the way up, and Oklahoma looks like a program on the way down. Multi-year collapses will do that to a program.

Is Kelvin a realistic option at OU now? No. As WTSooner pointed out, Kelvin basically has the "key to the city" at the University of Houston. Kelvin builds programs and has a history or maintaining competitive teams over the long haul. Houston fans will get used to 20+ win seasons, year-after-year-after-year. Houston fans will get used to teams that win in February and defend their home court.

Kelvin is 63 years old and this is his 5th season at Houston. He has the opportunity to build a legacy at Houston and to eventually retire on his own terms. Kelvin is winning, but he always has. I cannot see him leaving what has become a great job for him.

I wish him well.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
Soonerinkc
All-American

Even if OU offered....

My guess is he would say an emphatic NO.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

He’d probably give them a call or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
Big Old Booger
Final Four

All these positive posts about Kelvin ("what a great coach...", "will he come back...", etc.) is so ironic. I could count on one hand the OU basketball fans on this board (well maybe 2 hands) who didn't want him to leave when he took the job in Indiana.

I knew many of you would be wishing he had never left but I didn't think it would take 13 years to get to that point.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #17
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
All these positive posts about Kelvin ("what a great coach...", "will he come back...", etc.) is so ironic. I could count on one hand the OU basketball fans on this board (well maybe 2 hands) who didn't want him to leave when he took the job in Indiana.

I knew many of you would be wishing he had never left but I didn't think it would take 13 years to get to that point.
Board had 8 members at the time.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
MrAnderson
Walk-on

I was devastated when he left
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
I will emphatically state that Houston is NOT a better coaching job at this time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's zero chance we fire Lon in order to hire Sampson, but if Lon stepped away, it would be silly not to at least consider (for both parties). If Joe C were to make a list of 5 names to realistically go after, and I were betting who the 5 names are, I can't really think of enough coaches to keep KS off that list. Buzz is the only guy I'd more confident in being on that list, and honestly, Buzz might be more unrealistic given the contract. I'd also give Dixon a call, but again, he's good a pretty big price tag.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Board had 8 members at the time.
BOB's post is right on. The second post is not.

I was a huge Kelvin Sampson fan, but the vast majority of OU fans complained endlessly about Kelvin. Lon Kruger is like an avatar to OU fans compared to the way Kelvin was treated. After the way Sampson was ushered out of Norman, it's my opinion that he would never give OU a second look (not that Joe C. would ever seek out his services).
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #21
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
BOB's post is right on. The second post is not.

I was a huge Kelvin Sampson fan, but the vast majority of OU fans complained endlessly about Kelvin. Lon Kruger is like an avatar to OU fans compared to the way Kelvin was treated. After the way Sampson was ushered out of Norman, it's my opinion that he would never give OU a second look (not that Joe C. would ever seek out his services).
My joke is statistically inaccurate?
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #22
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
My joke is statistically inaccurate?
There were 11. Take your fake news back to where it came from.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #23
Jimmon
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
He’d probably give them a call or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you did there.
Jimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #24
slides
Walk-on

Guess that I am surprised by this thread. Is this the case of post break up bliss?

I get he won a lot, but I remember lots of complaints about ugly games, low scoring games, and lot of scoring droughts for his teams.

His teams always played hard, but were not always fun to watch. Are we back to that now as our goal?

Some Indiana fan columnist is. Indiana Fan Nation article - second chance

Is it just me? I would like to do better than 20 win seasons and checking out somewhere between the round of 64 and the sweet 16.

Is that our expectations?
slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #25
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by slides View Post

I get he won a lot, but I remember lots of complaints about ugly games, low scoring games, and lot of scoring droughts for his teams.

His teams always played hard, but were not always fun to watch. Are we back to that now as our goal?
We're playing ugly now and LOSING. So yes, in theory, I'd take ugly wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slides View Post

Is it just me? I would like to do better than 20 win seasons and checking out somewhere between the round of 64 and the sweet 16.

Is that our expectations?
OU's basketball program is how many years old? And how many times have we had prolonged success better than you noted here? I think that absolutely should be the expectation. And if you get lucky and catch lightening in a bottle, maybe we have a run of better years. But an OU program that wins 20+ games a year, makes the Dance every year, and wins a couple of games in the Dance here and there is probably a top 2-3 team in the Big 12.