ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,094
Default Osu-ut

Cowboys up 39-22 at the half. How long before Longhorn fans wake up to the fact that Shaka’s coaching doesn’t match his recruiting?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,215
Default Re: Osu-ut

Better record riad teams losing
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: Osu-ut

Bigger question is, how can this be happening since OSU us the worst team in history according to so many people who watched them Saturday?!? And ISU is struggling with Baylor...they should be embarrassed!

Just goes to show, once again, there are no truly awful teams in this league, and it's silly to take any road games for granted.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,094
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Bigger question is, how can this be happening since OSU us the worst team in history according to so many people who watched them Saturday?!? And ISU is struggling with Baylor...they should be embarrassed!

Just goes to show, once again, there are no truly awful teams in this league, and it's silly to take any road games for granted.
Yep. Typical Big 12 road games. Coming away with a win is never easy.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Osu-ut

32 ... Texas
48 ... OSU (11:03 left in game)

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/texas...-201901080446/
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
Sooner81
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 477
Default Re: Osu-ut

Man how far has the OSU program fallen? I bet there are about 3,000 fans in a 13,000 seat arena. WOW, and I know the students aren’t all back yet but when Eddie was there it would be full.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,966
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Bigger question is, how can this be happening since OSU us the worst team in history according to so many people who watched them Saturday?!?
Yeah, I didn’t understand that talk at all. They’ve played a tough schedule and have generally been competitive.

But man did they barf this lead up. Offense stopped playing.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Osu-ut

OSU holds on. Beats Texas 61-58.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Bigger question is, how can this be happening since OSU us the worst team in history according to so many people who watched them Saturday?!? And ISU is struggling with Baylor...they should be embarrassed!

Just goes to show, once again, there are no truly awful teams in this league, and it's silly to take any road games for granted.
hyperbole much?
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
hyperbole much?
Not at all. Several regular posters commented at length about how awful they think OSU is and how we never should have been in a close game with them.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,893
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Not at all. Several regular posters commented at length about how awful they think OSU is and how we never should have been in a close game with them.
well ... if we rag on people for going out on a limb then they never go out on one and all we get are boring stats and bobby knight wannabes. so maybe we can internalize more and let people flow. myself included.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Not at all. Several regular posters commented at length about how awful they think OSU is and how we never should have been in a close game with them.
I don't think they are very good at all and if we are playing the way we can play, we shouldn't struggle with them ever. They are 7-8 with losses to:
Charlotte
Nova (blowout)
Minnesota
Tulsa
Houston
Nebraska (blowout)
ISU
OU

The fact that they beat a schizo Texas team tonight means very little (as one game samples typically show) in the grand scheme of things. They will battle KSU and Baylor to stay out of the cellar in the Big 12.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #13
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I don't think they are very good at all and if we are playing the way we can play, we shouldn't struggle with them ever. They are 7-8 with losses to:
Charlotte
Nova (blowout)
Minnesota
Tulsa
Houston
Nebraska (blowout)
ISU
OU

The fact that they beat a schizo Texas team tonight means very little (as one game samples typically show) in the grand scheme of things. They will battle KSU and Baylor to stay out of the cellar in the Big 12.
They very likely will finish in or near the basement, I don't doubt that for a second. But the worst team in our league is still good enough to play anyone close on a given night, so it is patently ridiculous to suggest that a good team should never find itself in a tight game with them.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
They very likely will finish in or near the basement, I don't doubt that for a second. But the worst team in our league is still good enough to play anyone close on a given night, so it is patently ridiculous to suggest that a good team should never find itself in a tight game with them.
I specifically said if we "play the way we can play" (to our capabilities), we shouldn't struggle with them ever (at least not this year). And of course anyone can play bad on a given night and let a poor team beat them.

Which translates into more of how we didn't play too well at all on Saturday....thus letting a below average team hang around way too long.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #15
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,700
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
They will battle KSU and Baylor to stay out of the cellar in the Big 12.
That doesn't make them a terrible team, which several posters said they were, and it certainly doesn't mean we should beat them by 20, which at least one poster insisted we should do.

They gave texas their first conference loss tonight, and that other "cellar dweller" you're comparing them to handed ISU their first conference defeat tonight, too. So calling either of those teams "terrible" and complaining about a hard-fought 10-point win against either of them is silly. As was pointed out in the last day or so, every team in the conference is currently in the top 100 and that's certainly not changing after tonight.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
They gave texas their first conference loss tonight, and that other "cellar dweller" you're comparing them to handed ISU their first conference defeat tonight, too. So calling either of those teams "terrible" and complaining about a hard-fought 10-point win against either of them is silly. As was pointed out in the last day or so, every team in the conference is currently in the top 100 and that's certainly not changing after tonight.
I can't speak for others, but I don't recall labeling them terrible....so stop with that. Have they been bad at times this year?...Yes. A better description of them would be below average.....and certainly for a P-5 team. And if there was a complaint, it was that we didn't play to our capabilities on Saturday. Yet winning games when you don't play your best is a good thing. Still, let's not be so quick to elevate osu because they played us close....I think we had more to do with that then osu....imo.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #17
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,710
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I can't speak for others, but I don't recall labeling them terrible....so stop with that. Have they been bad at times this year?...Yes. A better description of them would be below average.....and certainly for a P-5 team. And if there was a complaint, it was that we didn't play to our capabilities on Saturday. Yet winning games when you don't play your best is a good thing. Still, let's not be so quick to elevate osu because they played us close....I think we had more to do with that then osu....imo.
Storm. Theres no use.. they will critique every critique. Gah lee. Youre all right. 7-8 osu is awesome! They are THE best 7-8 team in the country. We're lucky to have beaten such a good quality amazing team at all..
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #18
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,700
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Storm. Theres no use.. they will critique every critique. Gah lee. Youre all right. 7-8 osu is awesome! They are THE best 7-8 team in the country. We're lucky to have beaten such a good quality amazing team at all..
No one's saying any such thing, and you know it. It's the game-thread Chicken Littles who traffic in panicky overstatement and exaggeration. And yeah, when they ***** and moan throughout a 10-point win that saw us trailing for literally 15 seconds of the game, they ought to be tough enough to take a little pushback.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #19
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Osu-ut

Know your posters, kids!

Some make astute observations, others fly off the handle at a moment's notice.
Some will pump sunshine always, others are doom and gloom regardless.
Some always blame officiating, others would argue with a fence post.

I've watched both of the these teams play a few times this year and I don't think either squad is worth a damn. I don't need some computer algorithm to tell me that, just the two eyeballs I received at birth.

Texas has athletes, but few basketball players.
O-State doesn't have much talent, but they play hard.

Saturday's game was an Aggie delight in terms of snagging the win. We shot poorly and the game lacked any sort of flow. Every time the whistles disappeared for a stretch we took control.

We shot the lights out against them last year in Norman and our season slid into the ditch about a week later. I'm anxious to see what the rest of the conference slate holds. We play really solid D and we rebound like crazy, but I think our offense is lousy and it's going to keep most of our opponents in every game.

In closing, I believe that both Texas and O-State suck this year in basketball.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,966
Default Re: Osu-ut

They’re top 70 in NET and 77th in RPI

Definitely not terrible
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #21
TulsaWorld
Walk-on
 
TulsaWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 384
Default Re: Osu-ut

Since you all are discussing this game, here's our recap of it (and photos too if you're interested)....

Quote:
STILLWATER — He had just endured a two-hour maelstrom of highs and lows, a first half of dominance followed by a second half in which his Oklahoma State team threw the basketball to the other team more often than it made field goals in its own basket.

For coach Mike Boynton, though, with a roster that is now 50 percent freshmen, it was a win. So when Boynton was asked for his customary opening thoughts after the Cowboys squeezed out a 61-58 victory over Texas on Tuesday, only four words immediately came to mind.

“Damn, winning is hard,” Boynton said. “That’s what I think.”

The first two months of this season have been hard, so it’s only right that OSU’s (7-8, 1-2 Big 12) first conference win was no different. Against a Texas team (10-5, 2-1) that began Big 12 play fast with two victories last week, Oklahoma State combined its best all-around half of the season — the result being a 39-22 advantage at the break — with one of its poorest stretches of offense in 15 games.

Oklahoma State had more turnovers (seven) than field goals (five) in the second half. It got enough out of its defense to hold on and snag a much-needed conference win in front of 6,486 at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
__________________
---
Happy to share Tulsa World's best OU articles/galleries/etc. Please e-mail questions for reporters to web@tulsaworld.com
TulsaWorld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #22
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,639
Default Re: Osu-ut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Know your posters, kids!

Some make astute observations, others fly off the handle at a moment's notice.
Some will pump sunshine always, others are doom and gloom regardless.
Some always blame officiating, others would argue with a fence post.

I've watched both of the these teams play a few times this year and I don't think either squad is worth a damn. I don't need some computer algorithm to tell me that, just the two eyeballs I received at birth.

Texas has athletes, but few basketball players.
O-State doesn't have much talent, but they play hard.

Saturday's game was an Aggie delight in terms of snagging the win. We shot poorly and the game lacked any sort of flow. Every time the whistles disappeared for a stretch we took control.

We shot the lights out against them last year in Norman and our season slid into the ditch about a week later. I'm anxious to see what the rest of the conference slate holds. We play really solid D and we rebound like crazy, but I think our offense is lousy and it's going to keep most of our opponents in every game.

In closing, I believe that both Texas and O-State suck this year in basketball.
Another fantastic post!
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com