ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #51
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,537
Default Re: New Arena

I actually drove up from Houston to the OSU game this last weekend. I was telling my wife that because it was Christmas break, it might be kind of light. Well, I was pleasantly surprised at the attendance. It was Bedlam, but still. Sure, there wasn't a butt in every seat, but the almost 10k number they announced is very believable. Again, I was very pleasantly surprised. It made me think if the students would have been back it would have darn near been a sellout.

Now the game.... was a putrid display of basketball. Never have I seen worse shooting in person and more ugliness. But, I love college basketball and I don't mind winning ugly!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #52
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,314
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
I actually drove up from Houston to the OSU game this last weekend. I was telling my wife that because it was Christmas break, it might be kind of light. Well, I was pleasantly surprised at the attendance. It was Bedlam, but still. Sure, there wasn't a butt in every seat, but the almost 10k number they announced is very believable. Again, I was very pleasantly surprised. It made me think if the students would have been back it would have darn near been a sellout.

Now the game.... was a putrid display of basketball. Never have I seen worse shooting in person and more ugliness. But, I love college basketball and I don't mind winning ugly!
OU gives 2 numbers for attendance tickets sold and then tickets scanned
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #53
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,559
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
OU gives 2 numbers for attendance tickets sold and then tickets scanned
They said during the radio postgame that it was nearly 10K scanned.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #54
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,314
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
They said during the radio postgame that it was nearly 10K scanned.
to OU's credit they put both numbers in every soonersports.com box score
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #55
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,537
Default Re: New Arena

Yep. All i'm trying to say is I was there and I thought it was well attended despite the circumstances.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #56
vbdad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 864
Default Re: New Arena

They also at all events have tickets scanned that don't have people in the seats. You get points based on usage of tickets at all sports. So if you have an extra ticket or two you just have them scan it. They do all of the above in reporting attendance and also sometimes they decide to count media and make believe people. This occurs in football too.
It was a nearly full LNC the other day and apparently sold out at the ticket office.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #57
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,219
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i have been told that they have half the money already committed
I hope so!
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #58
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,219
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I'm still not sold on an on-campus (well, in the middle of campus, since the LNC is, strictly speaking on campus) arena. The only people it would be more convenient for are students, and they seem to be blase about sports across the board these days -- even football. For everyone else, making one's way to the middle of campus would be a traffic nightmare.
I totally agree! Sounds great in theory but students would be only about a block closer to arena than they are to LNC. Plus traffic would be much worse on the main campus. Student attendance at any OU athletic event is poor at best. In early 80ís, there were about 18K student football season tickets sold and today there are around 6K! And we have about 6-8 thousand more students now. Iím not sure there have ever been more than 1-2 thousand students at a basketball game and thatís being generous. Kids today are just not into collegiate sports although there are a few exceptions.
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #59
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,799
Default Re: New Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
I totally agree! Sounds great in theory but students would be only about a block closer to arena than they are to LNC. Plus traffic would be much worse on the main campus. Student attendance at any OU athletic event is poor at best. In early 80ís, there were about 18K student football season tickets sold and today there are around 6K! And we have about 6-8 thousand more students now. Iím not sure there have ever been more than 1-2 thousand students at a basketball game and thatís being generous. Kids today are just not into collegiate sports although there are a few exceptions.
well, you're certainly closer to it and more current than me so I will agree with you. and appreciate the info.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com