ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
bcsooner
Walk-on

Default New Arena

Not sure if you guys had seen, but appears Baylor is joining Texas in announcing a new arena.https://www.ourdailybears.com/2018/1...her-facilities

Knowing how pro-active Joe C. usually operates, can't imagine him sitting pat to much longer.
bcsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
mict085
Role Player

Default Re: New Arena

OU admin doesnít pay much attention to basketball. A new arena is not happening and wonít hapoen anytime soon.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Mackie McNeer
Walk-on

Lol, the Ferrell Center opened 13 years after the LNC.
Mackie McNeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
OU admin doesn’t pay much attention to basketball. A new arena is not happening and won’t hapoen anytime soon.
Yep, not happening.

Doesn’t really have anything to do with paying attention to basketball. There just isn’t money for this. I seriously doubt football stadium is ever completed as envisioned and same with softball. It’s going to be a long time out before significant athletic projects are started again.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.

Last edited by tycat947; 01-02-2019 at 09:29 AM.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
OU admin doesnít pay much attention to basketball. A new arena is not happening and wonít hapoen anytime soon.
not until after the baseball and softball get done and without a 50+ mil gift not until after the next phase of football gets done with will be over 10 years from now

the UNP deal was perfect for OU basketball sad that it didn't work out
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
the UNP deal was perfect for OU basketball sad that it didn't work out
exactly. it was the only potential change agent I could see for years. very sad indeed.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
kjack151
Walk-on

What’s the “UNP”?
kjack151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjack151 View Post
Whatís the ďUNPĒ?
university North Park
Old 01-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
vbdad
Role Player

Joe C. isn't going to build a new arena unless someone decides to pay for it. Yes the UNP deal would have been great. Joe will keep telling everybody who listens that we have great basketball facilities.

Texas and Baylor are downsizing which I think is the right thing to do with college basketball attendance.

Last edited by vbdad; 01-02-2019 at 11:20 AM.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Joe C. isn't going to build a new arena unless someone decides to pay for it. Yes the UNP deal would have been great. Joe will keep telling everybody who listens that we have great basketball facilities.

Texas and Baylor are downsizing which I think is the right thing to do with college basketball attendance.
The facilities for the players is as good as it gets. Arena portion is kept up as good as it can be without massive renovation, which ainít happening.

Football and basketball facilities are getting smaller! Too costly to attend and too comfortable to stay home and watch on big screen TV. Not sure that it will ever trend back to expansion of capacity, beer or no beer.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
inoref
All-Conference

I agree, new arena will not put people in the stands.
inoref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
this this this this this. I have been saying this for years. you redo that thing on campus. the intimacy and size makes it more exclusive and then you just pump the students constantly. you want to get it such that you have all your most rabid fans beating down the doors to get in. this is much easier if they just have to walk across from the dorms.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
j2d2
All-American

If you dont think the administration doesnt pay attention to basketball try softball. I wonder how many national championships we would have to win in order to get (for example) and interview with a new pitching coach? The administration's determination to completely ignore the softball program in view of its success is embarrassing.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #14
Jeopardude
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
this this this this this. I have been saying this for years. you redo that thing on campus. the intimacy and size makes it more exclusive and then you just pump the students constantly. you want to get it such that you have all your most rabid fans beating down the doors to get in. this is much easier if they just have to walk across from the dorms.
That's why the UNP wasn't the best solution. Either massive rebuild of the Field House or just north of LNC would work better.
Jeopardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeopardude View Post
That's why the UNP wasn't the best solution. Either massive rebuild of the Field House or just north of LNC would work better.
It was a better solution because of funding options available.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
mict085
Role Player

We need a big donor to step up for basketball. Unfortunately, donít see it happening.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #17
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
We need a big donor to step up for basketball. Unfortunately, donít see it happening.
Hey, I'm working on winning the mega millions

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #18
StatGeek
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
If you dont think the administration doesnt pay attention to basketball try softball. I wonder how many national championships we would have to win in order to get (for example) and interview with a new pitching coach? The administration's determination to completely ignore the softball program in view of its success is embarrassing.
What are you talking about? Gasso is the highest paid coach in the country, interviews are a media issue not an administrative issue.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #19
StatGeek
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Hey, I'm working on winning the mega millions
I swear to you that if I ever won, I would help OU out significantly.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #20
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGeek View Post
I swear to you that if I ever won, I would help OU out significantly.
Same here

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 AM   #21
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2d2 View Post
softball is getting a brand new stadium the second new one since the LNC was built
Old 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
The facilities for the players is as good as it gets. Arena portion is kept up as good as it can be without massive renovation, which ainít happening.

Football and basketball facilities are getting smaller! Too costly to attend and too comfortable to stay home and watch on big screen TV. Not sure that it will ever trend back to expansion of capacity, beer or no beer.
Tycat I'm sorry but you aren't correct. They are very unhappy with the practice facilities. I haven't heard complaints about the locker rooms etc. I'm sure they are more than anybody could need as were football which are now crazy good.

Unfortunately the arms race in all sports is nuts and will never stop as long as we continue to fund it. However we aren't "as good as it gets" and there isn't much support of the basketball program. Of course when you look at attendance it may not deserve it.

Smaller arenas are the key. They have talked about trying something closer to the main campus which is a nice idea but the students are non participants so who knows if it works. The UPS was great because it wasn't on our dime. It also makes it easier for the OKC folks to go to the games. Who knows if they would but it would be easier plus you could eat before or after the game right there.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Tycat I'm sorry but you aren't correct. They are very unhappy with the practice facilities. I haven't heard complaints about the locker rooms etc. I'm sure they are more than anybody could need as were football which are now crazy good.

Unfortunately the arms race in all sports is nuts and will never stop as long as we continue to fund it. However we aren't "as good as it gets" and there isn't much support of the basketball program. Of course when you look at attendance it may not deserve it.

Smaller arenas are the key. They have talked about trying something closer to the main campus which is a nice idea but the students are non participants so who knows if it works. The UPS was great because it wasn't on our dime. It also makes it easier for the OKC folks to go to the games. Who knows if they would but it would be easier plus you could eat before or after the game right there.
OU has the best college basketball training facility in the country that was just built .. .. it is as good as any NBA teams
Old 01-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #24
coolm
National Champion

smaller arena ... on campus ... a short walk from the dorms ... focused on youth and the students. It should be a concert, energetic, youthful atmosphere instead of a "nice for donors" thing like they try to do for football. The dynamic should be focused only between students and the players. It needs to be different than football and thats why OU keeps getting it wrong.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
Mackie McNeer
Walk-on

Quote:

Couldnít agree more. You cut off half an hour of commute time for the OKC folks by building it next to 35. Students will never come en masse to the games so catering to them is wrong-headed. Add in the amenities around the UNP and you have everything you need for a great game day experience.

Hopefully the UNP arena will return under another iteration that Old Normanites can get behind.
Mackie McNeer is offline   Reply With Quote