ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #351
skyvue
Elite Eight

Default Re: NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Buddy had 16 points, 2 assists, 4 rebounds and 5 turnovers last night in a tough loss to Phoenix.

Trae had 19 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 turnovers in a loss to the Raptors.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #352
WichitaSooner
Starter

Kings really need to get better at finding ways to get Buddy the ball late in close games. Of course defenses key on him, but NBA teams have to find a way to free their best player no matter how much the D focuses on him.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #353
Sooner04
All-Conference

Sacramento is beginning to fall back to earth. Phoenix is god-awful, and if you want to finish around .500 and maybe sneak into the 8-seed you cannot be blowing big leads like that.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #354
skyvue
Elite Eight

Blake and the Piston play the Lakers in LA on ESPN at 9:30pm CT tonight.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #355
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Blake and the Piston play the Lakers in LA on ESPN at 9:30pm CT tonight.
I'm as big a Blake Griffin fan as anyone, but at a loss as to how he can play 37 minutes and pull in ZERO rebounds (plus 16 points). I watched some of that game and Blake was the primary defender on Kyle Kuzma who scored a career high 41 for the Lakers. Oh well...we're all entitled to an off game. Blake may not start in the All-Star game due to not getting enough votes, but he's a lock to be selected as long as he stays on the court.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #356
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
I'm as big a Blake Griffin fan as anyone, but at a loss as to how he can play 37 minutes and pull in ZERO rebounds (plus 16 points).
In his defense (sort of), it was the first game of his career in which he didn't get a rebound. Something like 530 games (I don't recall the exact number).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #357
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

I see that this thread is mostly about Sooners in the NBA, but here's an excerpt from the latest Thunder column from Bill Haisten...

Quote:
The Thunder’s 2018-19 roster is a lot better than the 2017-18 model, and Paul George and Steven Adams have played the best basketball of their lives, and yet Oklahoma City still has a terrible habit: bad losses.

Oklahoma City is 25-15. Of those 15 defeats, eight have been dealt by teams currently with losing records. If the Thunder had been 4-4 in those eight games, it would be in first place in the Western Conference.

You know how many road victories Minnesota has recorded this season? Six. Two of them were recorded on the Thunder’s home floor — against an OKC team that has the pieces and opportunity to actually finish at the top of the Western Conference.

Before the start of the 2018-19, I considered it a given Golden State would capture its fourth championship in five seasons. Now, the Warriors seem vulnerable.

Oklahoma City has a tremendous and immediate opportunity.

Don’t blow it.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #358
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
In his defense (sort of), it was the first game of his career in which he didn't get a rebound. Something like 530 games (I don't recall the exact number).
Perhaps not by coincidence he’s not playing tonight vs Kings. “Rest”

Buddy doing his thing. 18 thru 3Q on 8/13
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #359
AdaSooner
Administrator

Blake led the Pistons to a 109-104 victory over the Clippers. I’m sure his 44 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, a block and 4 steals was not meant to send a message to his former team.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 PM   #360
oudna
All-American

Buddy can’t get anything to fall tonight
Battling the Hornets close late in 3rd
Old 01-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #361
skyvue
Elite Eight

He finished with 21 points, 3 assists and 4 rebounds. 5-12 from three, just 3-9 from inside the arc. Kings won by seven points.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #362
oudna
All-American

Buddy made his final 4 shots, 3 3s and rallied SAC above .500 again
Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #363
oudna
All-American

Trae 26 and 10 boards today
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #364
sperry
All-American

The Kings could have drafted Luka Doncic and had a backcourt of Luka, DeAaron Fox and Buddy for the next decade. That is the nucleus of a title team. Instead they took Marvin Bagley, who will be a totally decent big man and nothing special.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #365
sperry
All-American

Buddy had a great game last night. He was actually too passive with the ball, only getting up 9 shots.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #366
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
The Kings could have drafted Luka Doncic and had a backcourt of Luka, DeAaron Fox and Buddy for the next decade. That is the nucleus of a title team. Instead they took Marvin Bagley, who will be a totally decent big man and nothing special.
I agree that Doncic would have been a very good pick, but I think their concern was whether Fox would be comfortable playing off the ball more often. I actually saw Buddy at a camp a couple weeks before the draft and asked him who he wanted them to take, and that was one thing he specifically mentioned. But man Doncic is outstanding!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #367
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I agree that Doncic would have been a very good pick, but I think their concern was whether Fox would be comfortable playing off the ball more often. I actually saw Buddy at a camp a couple weeks before the draft and asked him who he wanted them to take, and that was one thing he specifically mentioned. But man Doncic is outstanding!

Until Smith and Barrera got hurt Doncic played of the ball. Now he’s playing a lot of point. He’s a versatile player.

Interesting that Atlanta is sitting at the 5th worse position. Dallas would have to slip to that position to keep the 1st rounder. Could be a lot of tanking to get that pick back. Trae could get 2 excellent players to help next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #368
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Doncic fits in any system and on any team. They blew it. Bagley will be fine, but Doncic is a future hall of famer.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #369
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Doncic fits in any system and on any team. They blew it. Bagley will be fine, but Doncic is a future hall of famer.
I agree, I didn't say otherwise. The potential concern was with how it could affect Fox, not Doncic. Doncic is outstanding and should be the unanimous ROY barring injury.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #370
sperry
All-American

Kings unfortunately don't have their pick this year, since they gave it away for essentially nothing 5 years ago, but they do have a ton of cap space. Obviously they aren't going to get a superstar to come there, but they should be able to bring in multiple quality role players.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #371
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I still think the Hawks have a chance to come out on top of the trade. It all depends on who they get to pair with Trae.

If Trae can ever find his stroke, his rookie season would be almost as impressive as Doncic's
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #372
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I still think the Hawks have a chance to come out on top of the trade. It all depends on who they get to pair with Trae.

If Trae can ever find his stroke, his rookie season would be almost as impressive as Doncic's
Maybe stats wise, but Doncic is a lot better than Trae at this point.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #373
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post

LOL at the Hawks having a chance to win this trade. Trae will be fine. Luka is special.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #374
oudna
All-American

I mean if they hit on a perennial all-star with this 10th overall pick....
Old 01-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #375
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
LOL at the Hawks having a chance to win this trade. Trae will be fine. Luka is special.
Yes, there's no chance that Trae will show significant improvement from his rookie season. I mean, just look at Buddy Hield, am I right?