ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Default Game location

https://oklahoman.com/article/565584...e-energy-arena

Some will agree, some will disagree, and some probably won't take the time to consider the athletic department's perspective, but for those wondering why the game is in OKC, here is an article with answers.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
MJSooner
Role Player

Default Re: Game location

After reading the article, I still don't agree.

And Joe C fails to mention anything about choosing a conference game at the end of February to be one of the choices. Even if I agree with all his points in the article, which some make sense from a bigger picture, this one fact makes all the other points irrelevant.

Should have tried more ways "to engage the fans" at the LNC for a conference game you need to make the tourney. And no, I don't know what those ways might be, but it is still a poor decision to move THIS game.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
mict085
Starter

Crowd wasnít great but it wouldnít have been any better in Norman. OU fans have always been lackluster in basketball and I donít know why. Yes, they have shown up in the past but itís been few and far between. They donít consistently show up and get loud.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
skyvue
Final Four

I was not happy about us playing one of our toughest home games (and as it turned out, a must-win game) in OKC, but I'll admit I was wrong. It didn't hurt the team one bit tonight.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
TINY
All-Conference

We’ve had 2 monster wins at the peake this year. We looked even more comfortable this go round.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Weíve had 2 monster wins at the peake this year. We looked even more comfortable this go round.

We found our thrill on "Chesapeake Hill."
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
coolm
National Champion

let's just play all our games here
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
TheMont
Role Player

I don’t agree, either.

1. The upper deck was roped off and only the lower bowl and club level seats were allotted but it looked bad on TV. I wish they would’ve done something like giving season ticket holders who have attended at least 75% of games the closest seats tonight.

2. Joe C picked this specific game against a team that is a few months removed from playing in the national championship game. In mid-February. He couldn’t have anticipated just how huge the game would’ve been circumstantially, but the other factors (opponent and date) were controllable.

3. He cited 8pm games specifically as being hard to get to for fans.... but I have heard WAY more complaints from fans about 6pm games being hard to get to on weekdays. Wouldn’t a 6pm game in a more central location (assuming more people work IN OKC) make more sense for the experiment?

4. We shoot worse when we aren’t at home (especially Brady, whose outside shooting we need the most) and that held true tonight in the Peake. We shot 21%. Thankfully, our defense was stellar and that didn’t hurt us.

I know we are all are upset about attendance and we could all write novels about it. I do appreciate Joe C trying to help, but this game wasn’t it.

Silver lining is that it did really feel like a neutral conference tournament game, so hopefully that means we will play better in March.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
4. We shoot worse when we arenít at home (especially Brady, whose outside shooting we need the most) and that held true tonight in the Peake. We shot 21%. Thankfully, our defense was stellar and that didnít hurt us.
Just to clarify: 22% from deep, 47% overall.

We attempted fewer threes in the second, but shot just 14% (good thing we only shot seven of them).
Old 02-26-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
I don’t agree, either.

1. The upper deck was roped off and only the lower bowl and club level seats were allotted but it looked bad on TV. I wish they would’ve done something like giving season ticket holders who have attended at least 75% of games the closest seats tonight.

2. Joe C picked this specific game against a team that is a few months removed from playing in the national championship game. In mid-February. He couldn’t have anticipated just how huge the game would’ve been circumstantially, but the other factors (opponent and date) were controllable.

3. He cited 8pm games specifically as being hard to get to for fans.... but I have heard WAY more complaints from fans about 6pm games being hard to get to on weekdays. Wouldn’t a 6pm game in a more central location (assuming more people work IN OKC) make more sense for the experiment?

4. We shoot worse when we aren’t at home (especially Brady, whose outside shooting we need the most) and that held true tonight in the Peake. We shot 21%. Thankfully, our defense was stellar and that didn’t hurt us.

I know we are all are upset about attendance and we could all write novels about it. I do appreciate Joe C trying to help, but this game wasn’t it.

Silver lining is that it did really feel like a neutral conference tournament game, so hopefully that means we will play better in March.
Agree on all your points, except maybe the gametime as I am not sure Joe C has any control over this on non-Soonervision games. I drive from Tulsa and 6 pm games are almost impossible to get to on time. I love the 7pm tip.

While we may not have had any better attendance at the LNC tonight, at least it would have "felt" like a home game. If you thought it was dead at the LNC, being there tonight felt more like a Thursday afternoon tournament game in a big arena. Put the same amount in LNC and it would fill like we had more people than in an 18K arena.

Fortunately, it didn't hurt us.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #11
Stikboy
All-Conference

I thought this was a terrible idea from the beginning, especially with the opponent. Kudos to the guys even more for nutting up!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
CoachTalk
National Champion

More Prep for new gym when NCAA's roll around. First team to play on NBA logo floor... or something like that. Ill look it up again.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #13
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Why is there crying about home court? OU has no real home court advantage in Norman, so I have no issue with this game having been in OKC.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
SoonerJK12
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Why is there crying about home court? OU has no real home court advantage in Norman, so I have no issue with this game having been in OKC.
Our home/away record would indicate otherwise.
SoonerJK12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #15
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
To me it doesn't have anything to do with good crowds or not. It's the gym, rims, and floor that you shoot 50 million shots a year on and are used to. The shooting background, the spacial elements, etc that make up any home basketball team's shooting advantage. Is it a great wonder why teams shoot drastically better at home?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
Sooner Season
Walk-on

I don't understand why some people are never happy. You hear that Joe C and the administration don't care about basketball and the LNC is a dump and that's why attendance is bad. They try something different at a different location and those same people say "terrible idea"!

The people I sat around enjoyed the experience last night. It did have some energy to it and the turnout was as good as you might expect realistically. As for the players being comfortable shooting, does it really matter with this team? We shot 23% from 3 against Baylor at LNC. #1 team you say? We shot 21% against K State at LNC, so it's not like we are automatic at LNC.

I appreciate the attempt to try different things and it was fun for a change. And oh yeah, $6 popcorn instead of the LNC 8$, WHAT A DEAL!!!
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #17
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Quite possibly the most misinformed post I've read on this board in a long, long time Ė and, believe me, I've read a bunch of them.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #18
Chiefdaddy
Walk-on

It definitely made it easier for me to make the game. I liked it. Considering it was a cold, snowing Tuesday night, there was a decent showing by the fans. Big win by the Sooners.
Chiefdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
sooner333
Role Player

I think given the size of Chesapeake Arena, it sucks up some of the noise when there is sparse attendance. I think when we went on our run in the first half, the LNC would have at least felt louder. But maybe it would have been even more empty at LNC...who knows.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Quite possibly the most misinformed post I've read on this board in a long, long time – and, believe me, I've read a bunch of them.
I think he meant # of fans in the seats. Thats the way I took it.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #21
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Only 2 games in OKC, but we are 2-0. Until we lose a game there I'm okay with it.

Perhaps some in attendance have not been to a campus game and maybe their experience was positive enough to make them take the journey to Norman in the future.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I think he meant # of fans in the seats. Thats the way I took it.
That is how I took it too. Yet he ignored other factors that make up a home court advantage.

Iíll admit itís hard for me to take this poster seriously. Everything he says contains at least a hint of negativity. He canít help himself. I scan read his posting profile two years ago, going all the way back to and including our FF season. I didnít think he could find much to complain about back then, but I was wrong.

Iíll give him credit, heís consistent. He criticizes everything and everyone from the players to the coaches to the AD to the LNC to the program. I have called him a troll from another school before and still believe Iím right. I just canít prove it, and to be honest I donít care anymore.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/search.php?searchid=110328
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #23
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
That is how I took it too. Yet he ignored other factors that make up a home court advantage.

Iíll admit itís hard for me to take this poster seriously. Everything he says contains at least a hint of negativity. He canít help himself. I scan read his posting profile two years ago, going all the way back to and including our FF season. I didnít think he could find much to complain about back then, but I was wrong.

Iíll give him credit, heís consistent. He criticizes everything and everyone from the players to the coaches to the AD to the LNC to the program. I have called him a troll from another school before and still believe Iím right. I just canít prove it, and to be honest I donít care anymore.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/search.php?searchid=110328
So what you're actually saying is you agree with me wholeheartedly. Lol
Old 02-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #24
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
So what you're actually saying is you agree with me wholeheartedly. Lol
I usually do, scrybe.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote