ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Default 2019 Malik Hall

Ou in a good place here with Top 50 player.
Couple other tidbits in there

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-blog-thursday
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Default Re: 2019 Malik Hall

thanks for all the great recruiting posts
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

In the Final 5.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
BCSooners
All-Conference

Great news that KU isn't in top 5.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
skyvue
Elite Eight

Harmon tweeted about us making the cut. Hopefully he's in Hall's ear.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
SoonerTraveler
Elite Eight

He has an impressive list of offers ...

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ma...ruitInterests/
Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
vbdad
Role Player

Thanks!
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
He has an impressive list of offers ...

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Ma...ruitInterests/
Wow! Does he ever!

About time we won one of these recruiting battles! Maybe our superstar point guard can change that.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
cjhsooner
Walk-on

CBs today to Michigan State and Purdue. Man, I hope OU is able to win one of these battles for remaining targets, and won't have to resort to plan B- or C players. Rip me all you want, but OU vs MSU is not a fair fight.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #10
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
CBs today to Michigan State and Purdue. Man, I hope OU is able to win one of these battles for remaining targets, and won't have to resort to plan B- or C players. Rip me all you want, but OU vs MSU is not a fair fight.
And thats the problem. OU has been on this cat for a long time and MSU offers 4 weeks ago and makes the final 5.

We have to offer early and win out on relationships and "extra" stuff. Close to home, immediate playing time etc...

A lot of the times it doesnt work out but its not for a lack of trying or effort.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #11
sperry
All-Conference

Kruger's recruiting has fallen off a cliff.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #12
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
kruger's recruiting has fallen off a cliff.
lolololololololol
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
lolololololololol
You can laugh, and I can point to the roster and our committed recruits. It's not a pretty picture.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
You can laugh, and I can point to the roster and our committed recruits. It's not a pretty picture.
top 5 PG in the country and one of the top transfers in all the country...

Solid start for 2019

Go through the roster and give me rankings and such. Please
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #15
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
top 5 PG in the country and one of the top transfers in all the country...

Solid start for 2019

Go through the roster and give me rankings and such. Please
Harmon is great. We have zero other commits and 6 seniors on the roster. We have one freshman and two sophomores on the roster, and one of those sophomores is a massive project.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Harmon is great. We have zero other commits and 6 seniors on the roster. We have one freshman and two sophomores on the roster, and one of those sophomores is a massive project.
Conveniently ignoring Reaves as a 2019 commit. I'd encourage you to look around the country and see how many commits most top 25 programs have at this point. The vast majority of players are yet to make a decision.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
What we currently have returning (and will be adding) after this year is the following:

Reaves- Rivals ranking- 3 star (1st 2 years at WSU)
Doolittle- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Freeman- Rivals ranking- 4 star
Manek- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Polla- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Bieniemy- Rivals ranking- 4 star
Kuath (If he makes it to OU, don't see him on the current roster)- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Harmon (banking on him signing at this poing)- 4 star

So at this point OU would have 3 4 stars (per Rivals rankings) and 5 3 stars on the roster. That isn't gang busters but that also isn't a terrible overall team. Obviously stars don't always matter (Freeman is a 4 star on paper and hasn't done much to this point. But Reaves was a 3 star and looked at as one of if not the top transfer with more than 1 year to play this off season). Do they need to add more talent? Of course they do. But as of right this minute, it's not like they aren't returning any talent at all.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick008 View Post
What we currently have returning (and will be adding) after this year is the following:

Reaves- Rivals ranking- 3 star (1st 2 years at WSU)
Doolittle- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Freeman- Rivals ranking- 4 star
Manek- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Polla- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Bieniemy- Rivals ranking- 4 star
Kuath (If he makes it to OU, don't see him on the current roster)- Rivals ranking- 3 star
Harmon (banking on him signing at this poing)- 4 star

So at this point OU would have 3 4 stars (per Rivals rankings) and 5 3 stars on the roster. That isn't gang busters but that also isn't a terrible overall team. Obviously stars don't always matter (Freeman is a 4 star on paper and hasn't done much to this point. But Reaves was a 3 star and looked at as one of if not the top transfer with more than 1 year to play this off season). Do they need to add more talent? Of course they do. But as of right this minute, it's not like they aren't returning any talent at all.

We clearly disagree on the quality of what is returning. There are two real 4 stars on that list, as Freeman's only other offer was Loyola Marymount and it's pretty clear that whoever gave him 4 stars had not scouted him. Manek is obviously better than his rating, but those other 3 stars are major projects or just kind of guys.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #19
Soonerinkc
All-Conference

I'm not a big star guy...so many influences. With that said, there is some merit to the rankings in general, or at least what other offers they have.

Sampson did great with non-stars (in my opinion).

After last season I was really disappointed in what I saw happening. It really did seem LK sold out for TY. Maybe it pays off getting a stud or 2 in...or maybe we don't get the hard working 3* guys that jell as a team.

I just want a team that plays as a team...works hard and hustles, that will eventually get some wins.

Hopefully break the 20 win cap this year.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
We clearly disagree on the quality of what is returning.
I'm confused by this quote? I said the overall talent wasn't terrible and that the cupboard wasn't bare? You respond with we have 2 pure 4 star guys and that Manek is most likey above his initial ranking of a 3 star guy? Isn't that pretty much what I said? On top of that, the projects you refer to will all be in at least their 3rd year along with what ever else OU signs (HS/Juco/tranfers) to go along with that group.

At this point, we haven't even started the 2018-2019 season with a fall and spring signing period to go. I just personally feel like it's a little premature to jump all over the coaching staff for not having the 2019-2020 team already assembled.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #21
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post

Sampson did great with non-stars (in my opinion).
That's a little misleading b/c he always had a JUCO stud coming in to handle the scoring that would have been a 4/5* type player, if not in JUCO.

And he mixed in just enough other 4* players to go with them. Tough to find recruiting info from his early years, but I'd be interested to take a look if anybody knows where to find it.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #22
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
That's a little misleading b/c he always had a JUCO stud coming in to handle the scoring that would have been a 4/5* type player, if not in JUCO.

And he mixed in just enough other 4* players to go with them. Tough to find recruiting info from his early years, but I'd be interested to take a look if anybody knows where to find it.
Kelvin didn't have any 5*, and had very few 4*. He did have a lot of very good junior college players, but it's a stretch to say those guys were the equivalent of 5* high school kids. Guys of that caliber end up in the NBA more often than not, and Najera was his only player to make the NBA. The sad thing is that the class he had coming in in 2006 was easily his best, specifically James and Reynolds. And before anyone takes this as a knock on Sampson, I absolutely love the guy.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Kelvin didn't have any 5*, and had very few 4*. He did have a lot of very good junior college players, but it's a stretch to say those guys were the equivalent of 5* high school kids. Guys of that caliber end up in the NBA more often than not, and Najera was his only player to make the NBA. The sad thing is that the class he had coming in in 2006 was easily his best, specifically James and Reynolds. And before anyone takes this as a knock on Sampson, I absolutely love the guy.
He had way more 4* guys than you might remember, especially after those first few years. 247 doesn't have info before 2003, but here are the 4* guys from then on for Kelvin:

Lavender (2003)
Foust (2003)
Longar (2003)
McKenzie (2003)
Gray (2004)
Austin Johnson (2005)
T. Griffin (2005)

And he had a plethora of 4* (maybe a 5* even) lined up for 2006.

I have to believe at least SOME of the guys in previous years were 4* and 5* guys too. Hollis? Ace? Humphrey? Brewer? Errdman? Bobby Jo Evans? Stone? Avila? Nolan Johnson? Newton? J.R. Raymond? Ebi? Alexander? Bookout?

I think he had more 4* guys than we might think.

My comment on 5* guys was more based on production. A few of those guys, mostly JUCO's, were some of the best (top 10-20ish) players in college basketball. If you are getting that kind of production.....
Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #24
Sooner04
All-Conference

It gets "iffy" when you try to rank the JUCOs. Victor Avila was the top-rated JUCO in America, at least that's how I remember the press clippings. Taj Gray was a big signing, and proved to be a really good player. Ace McGhee was VERY highly rated. Vincennes CC, right?

As for high school guys, Ryan Humphrey was five-star all the way.
Bookout was a major signing. 4, maybe 5.
Lavender was between 4 and 5.
Foust, Longar and McKenzie....probably 3.
I don't remember AJ being that highly-rated.
Taylor Griffin was given the full-court press because they knew around the time his little brother was in the 8th grade that he was a MUST.
Bobby Joe Evans was the first big signing Kelvin made from the high school ranks. I'd say 4.

Such a different system though. Kelvin could craft a 20-win team out of one really good player, four butterfly clips and a roll of duct tape. He was also the most paranoid man in Cleveland County and could rub any person the wrong way at any time. And I wish him nothing but the best.

Last edited by Sooner04; 08-21-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #25
dsuits
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
It gets "iffy" when you try to rank the JUCOs. Victor Avila was the top-rated JUCO in America, at least that's how I remember the press clippings. Taj Gray was a big signing, and proved to be a really good player. Ace McGhee was VERY highly rated. Vincennes CC, right?

As for high school guys, Ryan Humphrey was five-star all the way.
Bookout was a major signing. 4, maybe 5.
Lavender was between 4 and 5.
Foust, Longar and McKenzie....probably 3.
I don't remember AJ being that highly-rated.
Taylor Griffin was given the full-court press because they knew around the time his little brother was in the 8th grade that he was a MUST.
Bobby Joe Evans was the first big signing Kelvin made from the high school ranks. I'd say 4.

Throw in Corey Brewer, Everet, Nolan Johnson, Q White, Abercrombie, Pattilo, Newton(injuries) Neal(injuries) and several other juco's I'm blanking on at the moment. One of Sampson's best evaluation characteristics was the toughness factor. Guys would fight for the man and sometimes fight to get to 40 pt at regulation. Game has changed but those teams didn't give up a easy basket. Know one ever misjudged Tim Heskett athleticism with Robert Allison's but Tim would scratch, elbow and trip his way into defending. Renzi would wear down players by letting them elbow his face repeatedly. I love scoring 90 a game today but those old teams would give up as many uncontested layups in a 5 year span as pick your game last year. Now, they'd also go 16/48 from the field but the effort was there for 40 minutes. Some games I felt exhausted after watching it.

Was J.R. Raymond highly ranked out of N. Carolina when he signed? Seemed like he was but I think he was also from the tribe of Smoka-saca-chebba.

The good ole days when Colorado sports were good, A&M and Baylor lost 20 plus straight against the good guys and it was a natural reaction to hate Mizzu. Now i kinda feel sorry for those programs drowning in there of feces.

I could be wrong but I thought was a high ranked kid from Amarillo but the injuries held him back at OU. I just remember Sampson talking about how he was a legend around the Amarillo area. I remember thinking as a kid, how good could Amarillo basketball be? Wish he would have challenged the 72oz steak a little more but he went on to play really well overseas and a guy I really pulled for. He got destroyed by fans back in the day and I'd hate to see what it'd be like in today's social media gorilla warfare tactics but the kid had some redemption to his legacy. Alex Spalding, this could have been you my friend.

Loved Drew Lavender and like Prince Fowler, didn't stick it out to be ranked higher up on my point guard list. Nate Robinson in the big three says hello.

I loved Bobby Joe Evens and Hootie Wiley as a kid. I got my picture taken with Hootie when i was like 11 or 12 after a John Blake OU team beat a Dannovan McNabb led Syracuse team in Norman. I remember thinking John Blake will turn it around and I just got my pic with a future NBA post player. I really didn't have a clue and I don't know how I've turned out so lucky for having a terrible ability to see the obvious. To bad Bobby Joe had bad knees. He was a really skilled player that probably could have played in the league. Oliver Miller and Tractor Taylor did and Bobby was way more skilled IMO. I remember OU played Purdue and I couldn't stand Brain "kneepad" Cardinal. He could have played for Mizzu and i wouldn't like him any less. I'm drawing a blank on the legendary coach at Purdue but that man scared me as a kid. Seemed to make Bob Knight look timid and personified what I thought a boilermaker actually was. Ha!

Remember Larry Turner? The guy looked the part but never evolved to a James Maden type player.

Ace was my guy. At senior night he hit a three from almost halfcourt. Even Trae Young would have blushed a little. Sampson would have chewed his butt if he didn't swish it. Instead he just sweated and rolled around on the floor. I love Lon but I miss a patented Sampson foot stomp technical foul to let the team know it's on. I don't think Lon would even foot stomp a spider in his house. Ace was at Cincinnati for a year b4 transferring to Juco because of playing time. Thank you Bob Huggins. I hated he never got picked up in the league. David West has mad a 20 year career and had a similar game as Ace. Ace couldn't jump but would bulldoze you and wrecking ball you with his back to the basket. He was a really good scorer but had a funny release if I'm remembering correctly. Had a nasty post fadeaway.

Loved me Some Nate Erdman(sp) guy was clutch using the backboard on awkward sideline shoots. I remember him being decimated by a scorers table when he went flying into it one game. Good player.

Nolan Johnson and Everet are way up there for me just because of their isolation game and creativity. Both of those guys had great crossover and hesitation arsenals. Wish those guys would come around the program more.
dsuits is offline   Reply With Quote