ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

What say you guys? Dust is starting to settle on recruiting and transfers.

1.) Kansas
2.) West Virginia
3.) Texas Tech
4.) Baylor
5.) Oklahoma State
6.) Texas
7.) Oklahoma
8.) ISU
9.) Kansas State
10.) TCU
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,358
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

1) Kansas
2) Baylor
3) Texas Tech
4) Texas
5) Oklahoma
6) West Virginia
7) ISU
8) Oklahoma State
9) Kansas State
10) TCU
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
1) Kansas
2) Baylor
3) Texas Tech
4) Texas
5) Oklahoma
6) West Virginia
7) ISU
8) Oklahoma State
9) Kansas State
10) TCU
These look similar to what I would have at the top, although I don't trust Texas enough to put them that high. At the bottom, I don't think OSU finishes ahead of KSU, and have no idea what to make of ISU.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Im not ready to predict yet...
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Im not ready to predict yet...
Yeah, I definitely will change my thoughts once we actually know more about rosters. Still several key decisions to be made by recruits, transfers, and guys who declared for the draft.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,836
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Im not ready to predict yet...
Oh yea... this is about the earliest prediction you can make. Dust hasn't totally settled yet.

Quote:
1) Kansas
2) Baylor
3) Texas Tech
4) Texas
5) Oklahoma
6) West Virginia
7) ISU
8) Oklahoma State
9) Kansas State
10) TCU
Interesting... I wonder what I see about WVU and OSU that you don't? Those are the biggest differences in our lists.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,358
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Oh yea... this is about the earliest prediction you can make. Dust hasn't totally settled yet.



Interesting... I wonder what I see about WVU and OSU that you don't? Those are the biggest differences in our lists.
I think 4-7 will be a dog fight. I think WVU will be good, still think OSU is a year away.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,162
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

The only prediction Iím ready to make right now is that OU will finish in the top half of the conference. Next yearís team has too much offensive fire power to finish in the bottom half.

Iím also not sold on ISU, KSU, OSU, TCU, and the leagueís perennial underachiever, the Texas Longhorns. Maybe I will be later on. Time will tell.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

It looks like a second straight down year for the conference to me. Tech, ISU and K-state should be down from last year. Osu and wvu much better. I expect OUs overall results to be similar, just more spread out rather than a hot start and dreadful finish. I donít see anything close to a final four contender, although someone could come out of nowhere like tech last year.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
It looks like a second straight down year for the conference to me. Tech, ISU and K-state should be down from last year. Osu and wvu much better. I expect OUs overall results to be similar, just more spread out rather than a hot start and dreadful finish. I donít see anything close to a final four contender, although someone could come out of nowhere like tech last year.
Yeah, probably another crappy year of being the top rated conference in the country all season and only putting one team in the national title game.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #11
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,438
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Yeah, probably another crappy year of being the top rated conference in the country all season and only putting one team in the national title game.
this
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Yeah, probably another crappy year of being the top rated conference in the country all season and only putting one team in the national title game.
So consistently stupid. The conference was objectively down from previous years. That includes teams making the tourney, tourney seeding, games won in the tourney, teams advancing deep in the tourney. We had one 3 seed, two fours, a six and two 9s. Only one team made it to the second weekend, which hasnít happened since 2013. The conference was way down last year.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
So consistently stupid. The conference was objectively down from previous years. That includes teams making the tourney, tourney seeding, games won in the tourney, teams advancing deep in the tourney. We had one 3 seed, two fours, a six and two 9s. Only one team made it to the second weekend, which hasnít happened since 2013. The conference was way down last year.
The only thing consistently stupid is your insistence on bashing the league and its teams in any scenario. You left out the most important objective stat in your recitation of stats, which is conference ranking. Not every season can be the best season for a conference. Not being quite as good as its best season doesn't mean it was truly down, which is what you implied.

Also, if/when Dotson announces his return, that will give you a few months to prepare a post telling us all why the pollsters are so stupid and wrong to have KU in the Top 10 when the preseason poll comes out. There are already national writers calling them a Final Four contender with Dotson, and if De Sousa wins his appeal, that will only amplify.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #14
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The only thing consistently stupid is your insistence on bashing the league and its teams in any scenario. You left out the most important objective stat in your recitation of stats, which is conference ranking. Not every season can be the best season for a conference. Not being quite as good as its best season doesn't mean it was truly down, which is what you implied.

Also, if/when Dotson announces his return, that will give you a few months to prepare a post telling us all why the pollsters are so stupid and wrong to have KU in the Top 10 when the preseason poll comes out. There are already national writers calling them a Final Four contender with Dotson, and if De Sousa wins his appeal, that will only amplify.

The league went from great to good last year. And if Dotson comes back I like KU. Theyíll certainly be better than last year. But it wonít be one of selfs better teams, and itís unlikely anyone else in the league is a top 15 type team. Thatís a a step down from previous years. Teams like OU, Texas WVU, and ISU need to get back to where they have been traditionally for the league of to not be down.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

How many Big XII teams made the Sweet 16?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
How many Big XII teams made the Sweet 16?
Just tech.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #17
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,744
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Some conferences are top heavy. They may have two or three teams show well during the tourney, but that doesn't make them the toughest conferences.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #18
thewez
Walk-on
 
thewez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KC, Missouri
Posts: 256
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

1.OU
2.KU
3-10. Everyone else

Just kidding. Unfortunately momentum is going the right way with KU so I bet they are back on top
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #19
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Just tech.
Exactly. Anybody that uses the Big XII's NCAA tournament outcome to argue it was the best conference is grasping at straws.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #20
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,744
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Exactly. Anybody that uses the Big XII's NCAA tournament outcome to argue it was the best conference is grasping at straws.
And anyone who focuses only on tourney performance while ignoring the regular season is kidding themselves.

A conference could put three teams in the Final Four, but if the other seven or 11 or 13 teams in that conference were middling to bad, it would hardly be the best conference, though some here would argue it was.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #21
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
And anyone who focuses only on tourney performance while ignoring the regular season is kidding themselves.
Agreed. If anybody makes this argument I'll be sure to let them know we disagree with their stance.

Quote:
A conference could put three teams in the Final Four, but if the other seven or 11 or 13 teams in that conference were middling to bad, it would hardly be the best conference, though some here would argue it was.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Very strongly.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,818
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
And anyone who focuses only on tourney performance while ignoring the regular season is kidding themselves.

A conference could put three teams in the Final Four, but if the other seven or 11 or 13 teams in that conference were middling to bad, it would hardly be the best conference, though some here would argue it was.
The league wasnít even strong too to bottom. Osu and WVU were flat out bad and Texas and tcu were middling.

It was beyond question a down year for the league. Next year will be similar, because for the second straight year Kansas will not be the Kansas we are used to, and programs like isu, ou, Texas and osu are way down from their peaks.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #23
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 810
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Ku will win the league.

OU will be somewhere in the middle.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #24
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,687
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Some conferences are top heavy. They may have two or three teams show well during the tourney, but that doesn't make them the toughest conferences.
Toughest or best? OU fans (not saying you) keep changing the terminology to fit whatever narrative they want to convey.

Was the Big 12 the "toughest" conference last year? Maybe. That is a really hard think to truly measure, IMO.

Was the Big 12 conference the "best" conference last year? Not a chance. Probably not even top 2.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:49 AM   #25
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,438
Default Re: Big 12 Basketball Standings Prediction - May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
The league wasnít even strong too to bottom. Osu and WVU were flat out bad and Texas and tcu were middling.

It was beyond question a down year for the league. Next year will be similar, because for the second straight year Kansas will not be the Kansas we are used to, and programs like isu, ou, Texas and osu are way down from their peaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Toughest or best? OU fans (not saying you) keep changing the terminology to fit whatever narrative they want to convey.

Was the Big 12 the "toughest" conference last year? Maybe. That is a really hard think to truly measure, IMO.

Was the Big 12 conference the "best" conference last year? Not a chance. Probably not even top 2.
it was the highest rated conf in the country
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com