ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 12-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
jaymOU
Role Player

Default OU offense - question

Was watching the game last night and noticed something which really frustrates me and wanted the board's opinion.

Is it me, or does OU wait until there is about 15 seconds left on the shot clock to even get into their offense?

When OU spurted out to an almost 20 point lead last night, then it was back to dribble hand offs and PG exchanges until about 15 seconds left on the shot clock and then it seemed like OU hit a rash of turnovers and forced shots.

I like Moser offense, I just wish they would initiate earlier in the shot clock. Why are they waiting so long to actual start to try and score?
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #2
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Default Re: OU offense - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
Was watching the game last night and noticed something which really frustrates me and wanted the board's opinion.

Is it me, or does OU wait until there is about 15 seconds left on the shot clock to even get into their offense?

When OU spurted out to an almost 20 point lead last night, then it was back to dribble hand offs and PG exchanges until about 15 seconds left on the shot clock and then it seemed like OU hit a rash of turnovers and forced shots.

I like Moser offense, I just wish they would initiate earlier in the shot clock. Why are they waiting so long to actual start to try and score?
For most teams, the longer they have to play defense, the more likely they are to make a mistake.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
Darwin
Starter

Similar to the Sampson days, I think it takes till mid season to get most players on the same page in the system. This is only year 2, by yr 4 we will see patterns repeat most seasons. But if this was a Sampson team the offense struggled most years till January, and even then .
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
pnkranger
All-American

We are 334 of 363 teams in terms of tempo. One of the slowest teams in the country.

Against good teams, that means you limit possessions and keep every game close, giving yourself a chance to win. The Kelvin/Eddie Sutton model (and Henry IBA before that).

It doesn't always make for great basketball or lead to big time blowouts. If we'd gotten out and run last night, we would have won by 40...but it does give you a chance for consistent performance over time, which is really what coaches want.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
For most teams, the longer they have to play defense, the more likely they are to make a mistake.
I agree, but not much to playing defense when the Sooners are just holding the ball at the time line
Old 12-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
We are 334 of 363 teams in terms of tempo. One of the slowest teams in the country.
wow, that's nuts
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
vbdad
Starter

It drives me crazy that we stand near half court dribbling the shot clock away.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #8
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
It drives me crazy that we stand near half court dribbling the shot clock away.
Lack of play-making options.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Lack of play-making options.
Porter has never had a team finish in the top 200 of tempo and all but one of his teams has been 300 or below. We could have three NBA point guards, and Porter would have them holding the ball. That's his offense. It means you're in every game you play, but it's also infuriating when you know you could club the opponent if you just went fast.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

You can play slow but still run good, crisp offense that forces the defense to work for the entire possession. Think Princeton. The issue with us is that we play slow and, as vbdad notes, oftentimes we just stand around and waste time with minimal passing or player movement. That accomplishing nothing, and leads to a lot of poor shots as the clock winds down. Think of how many shot clock violations we get, in addition to times we have to chuck up a prayer with a second or two left. Thatís bad offense and it contributes to most of our droughts.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #11
Stikboy
All-American

Quote:
Porter has never had a team finish in the top 200 of tempo and all but one of his teams has been 300 or below. We could have three NBA point guards, and Porter would have them holding the ball. That's his offense. It means you're in every game you play, but it's also infuriating when you know you could club the opponent if you just went fast.
Kind of frustrating to read. Of course I don't care what kind of offense he runs if it gets us back to Final Fours. But, wouldn't it seem kind of hard to recruit to in this day and age? Does anyone run the up tempo, Tubbs style offense, with pressing, any more? That alone might bring more butts to the seats. Again, if Moser continues to improve the program to the point we're nationally ranked, then fine. But slow, boring offense and mediocre results will not be a good combo going forward.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Kind of frustrating to read. Of course I don't care what kind of offense he runs if it gets us back to Final Fours. But, wouldn't it seem kind of hard to recruit to in this day and age? Does anyone run the up tempo, Tubbs style offense, with pressing, any more? That alone might bring more butts to the seats. Again, if Moser continues to improve the program to the point we're nationally ranked, then fine. But slow, boring offense and mediocre results will not be a good combo going forward.
Kelvin is the same. Houston is 355th in tempo, but heís got his team contending.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #13
Stikboy
All-American

Quote:
Kelvin is the same. Houston is 355th in tempo, but heís got his team contending.
Good point of reference. Thanks for the info. How does their defense rank with ours?
Old 12-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #14
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Good point of reference. Thanks for the info. How does their defense rank with ours?
Their defense is second in the country overall and I think they lead in a lot of categories. We are 35th. They also rebound the hell out of the ball, so thatís another huge difference.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:46 AM   #15
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Their defense is second in the country overall and I think they lead in a lot of categories. We are 35th. They also rebound the hell out of the ball, so thatís another huge difference.
Rebounding is where Joe Bam can close that gap if he builds off his game yesterday. As bad as he's been this year, he does seem the rebound the ball well. We really need either he or Noland to dramatically pick up their game for us to compete going forward. If that happens, and Uzan continues to improve, we'll be Dancing in March.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #16
steverocks35
Final Four

Bam looks like he’s playing on roller skates. He’s almost unplayable right now.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #17
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Bam looks like heís playing on roller skates. Heís almost unplayable right now.
I can't remember a clumsier looking player at OU besides Johnnie Gilbert.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #18
CoachTalk
National Champion

Bam is just so sped up. You saw his athleticism yesterday. He has the tools.

Sometimes just takes longer
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #19
Stikboy
All-American

Hoping he can somehow build on yesterday. Boy do we need his athleticism and scoring.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #20
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Bam is just so sped up. You saw his athleticism yesterday. He has the tools.

Sometimes just takes longer
I said to my son during the game, I was hoping he could get some run in a game that might really suit his skill set. He was better, but his handles sure seem suspect right now. This team needs his skill set to be a top half of the Big 12 finisher, IMO.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #21
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
I said to my son during the game, I was hoping he could get some run in a game that might really suit his skill set. He was better, but his handles sure seem suspect right now. This team needs his skill set to be a top half of the Big 12 finisher, IMO.
hopefully his effort on sat gets him a lot of run in the game next sat .. get him some confidence before florida and conf season
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote