ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2022, 10:34 AM   #1
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,732
Default 2023 Bracketology catch all

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ld-predictions

OU an 8 seed and 9 big 12 team in the Dance ... (osu second team out)
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #2
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Big 12 with 9 teams in the tournament and OSU is among the first four out.....wow. There isn't a realistic scenario where this could actually happen, but it does speak to the strength of the league early in the season. I think getting 7 teams is in certainly reasonable.....getting eight teams in would be nuts.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:12 AM   #3
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,732
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ld-predictions

OU still in as of 6 days ago (one of the last 4 in)
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,480
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ld-predictions

OU still in as of 6 days ago (one of the last 4 in)
Beat Florida, .500 in conference, and Alabama's a throw-away game. That should get us in no problem.

8-10 in conference, and we would need to win a couple of games in the big 12 tourney to get in.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,732
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Beat Florida, .500 in conference, and Alabama's a throw-away game. That should get us in no problem.

8-10 in conference, and we would need to win a couple of games in the big 12 tourney to get in.
agree
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Beat Florida, .500 in conference, and Alabama's a throw-away game. That should get us in no problem.

8-10 in conference, and we would need to win a couple of games in the big 12 tourney to get in.
8-10 in the best conference in the country and we are in easily.....around a 9/10 seed. If we go 7-11, that's where it gets dicey....would likely need to win at least a game in KC. Our metrics are good, just need to rack up some Q-1 wins....and we will have plenty of opportunity to do so. The committee puts little to no emphasis on conference record. They look at the season as a whole. A good win in November counts the same as a good win in March.....and vice versa.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
8-10 in the best conference in the country and we are in easily.....around a 9/10 seed. If we go 7-11, that's where it gets dicey....would likely need to win at least a game in KC. Our metrics are good, just need to rack up some Q-1 wins....and we will have plenty of opportunity to do so. The committee puts little to no emphasis on conference record. They look at the season as a whole. A good win in November counts the same as a good win in March.....and vice versa.
Way too early to make that kind of proclamation. It would depend who those 8 wins come against. As of now, we donít have any eye-catching wins. The teams we beat in Florida arenít very good and wonít do well in their leagues. Florida isnít particularly strong, and is a game we need to win. If we lose to them and Bama, and then fail to pick off some big names in conference play, we will be in as dicey a spot as last year. Itís why choking away the Sam Houston and (to a lesser extent) Nova games is so frustrating.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #8
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Way too early to make that kind of proclamation. It would depend who those 8 wins come against. As of now, we donít have any eye-catching wins. The teams we beat in Florida arenít very good and wonít do well in their leagues. Florida isnít particularly strong, and is a game we need to win. If we lose to them and Bama, and then fail to pick off some big names in conference play, we will be in as dicey a spot as last year. Itís why choking away the Sam Houston and (to a lesser extent) Nova games is so frustrating.
Sure....it's early, but recent history backs up my statement. I'm assuming a win over Florida and a loss to Bama as well. Then while going 8-10 in conference, I would make the assertion that a few of those 8 wins would be Q-1 wins and the remaining wins would be Q-2. The Big 12 is the best and most complete conference according to any advanced analytic you look to (Kenpom, Sagarin, etc.). As you suggested, the loss to Sam Houston hurts, but will likely end up only being a Q-3 loss. And this will probably end up being our worst loss simply due to the power of the the Big 12.....unless one team just really craters. And yes, things still have to play out. Here are the Kenpom rankings (and NET ranking) for each Big 12 team as we wind down non con:
Kansas - 5 (6)
Texas - 6 (11)
Baylor - 15 (18)
WV - 17 (9)
OSU - 34 (46)
Tech - 37 (65)
OU - 38 (58)
TCU - 43 (72)
ISU - 46 (33)
KSU - 52 (37)

As you can see, our remaining games are all Q-1 and Q-2 games, but this is subject to change obviously. Also remember Iowa State got in last year at 7-11 in conference (they did go 12-0 in non-con however). If we go 7-11 in conference again this year, we are in trouble due to our somewhat disappointing non-con.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

I see that we are listed as being in a playin game in the current Bracketology on ESPN. Thatís not a good sign and confirms my fear that we donít have much margin for error in the conference. In a couple of the years where we made it under Lon despite a poor league record, we had a big margin for error because we had such a strong noncon record. I just hope when all is said and done, we arenít on the wrong side of the bubble because we couldnít close out at least one of the two games we blew (Sam Houston and Nova).
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #10
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,732
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I see that we are listed as being in a playin game in the current Bracketology on ESPN. Thatís not a good sign and confirms my fear that we donít have much margin for error in the conference. In a couple of the years where we made it under Lon despite a poor league record, we had a big margin for error because we had such a strong noncon record. I just hope when all is said and done, we arenít on the wrong side of the bubble because we couldnít close out at least one of the two games we blew (Sam Houston and Nova).
ESPN current https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ld-predictions

OU is one of the last 4 buys
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:17 PM   #11
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:10 PM   #12
scrybe
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,548
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

How would a win over No. 4 (currently) Bama affect everyone's outlook?
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:32 PM   #13
mict085
All-American
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,742
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Unless this team suddenly figures out how to not blow the game in the last 5 minutes, I donít see us winning another 6 conference games. Arkansas outclassed this team. Bama will do the same but worse.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #14
Sooner Season
Walk-on
 
Sooner Season's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 251
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
How would a win over No. 4 (currently) Bama affect everyone's outlook?
I will take a win over OSU right now.
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #15
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
How would a win over No. 4 (currently) Bama affect everyone's outlook?
I would be ecstatic. Bama is the best team left on our schedule (better than KU right now) and it will take a monumental effort to knock them off. But even great teams can have off nights.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #16
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,656
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Bama was ranked #9 last time we played them and we won. But we were #24 at the time.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #17
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I would be ecstatic. Bama is the best team left on our schedule (better than KU right now) and it will take a monumental effort to knock them off. But even great teams can have off nights.
They are probably more athletic than KU, but remains to be seen whether they are actually better. I would love a win, but obviously it wouldn't mean a ton if we win that game while losing a bunch of games right around it. We just need to start adding up some wins, and obviously need some of them to against teams other than the bottom two or three in the league. We will get plenty of chances in this league.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:14 AM   #18
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
They are probably more athletic than KU, but remains to be seen whether they are actually better. I would love a win, but obviously it wouldn't mean a ton if we win that game while losing a bunch of games right around it. We just need to start adding up some wins, and obviously need some of them to against teams other than the bottom two or three in the league. We will get plenty of chances in this league.
That's a fair take. I think Bama is playing slightly better right now (just drubbing teams), but KU plays in a much tougher league obviously. To win a game like this, we are going to have to play as mistake free as possible and shoot well.

And yes, if we were to win this game and fall apart in other games, then it would serve little purpose in making a run for the tournament. Unfortunately this year, there are absolutely zero gimmes in this league and most, if not all, games will come down to the wire.....which is a little worrisome based upon our recent history. I just expect to be on edge for most of our games.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:20 AM   #19
stormspencer
Elite Eight
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,111
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:41 AM   #20
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,656
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

Hey, we're as good as Kentucky!
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:59 PM   #21
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 4,082
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #22
TINY
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,932
Default Re: 2023 Bracketology catch all

I still think ou is on outside looking in. Need to get 6 more wins total (including tournament), and I think we would be in.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com