ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #101
hoopsaustin
National Champion
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakland, Maine
Posts: 7,016
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Man jalen hill... that TO was charmin soft. Thankful for Jacob's possible game winning block
__________________
Sam Houston State 6-1
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #102
ouboomer
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

It's a win, but no identity on offense, all that subbing early, no flow
ouboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #103
mict085
All-American
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,639
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Huge block by Jacob without fouling. Every win is precious.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:02 PM   #104
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,995
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post


sorry if the pic came out large.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:02 PM   #105
opsooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,218
Default

One good thing tonight was rebounding and probably why we won.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:08 PM   #106
MercedeSooner
All-American
 
MercedeSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,466
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Jalen Hill is such a frustrating player for being an upperclassmen. You just can't give up the ball that easily on that last possession. So inconsistent this season.

Never complain about a win, especially for this team. Just hope they can find their way soon as the competition ramps up.
__________________
<--- BEASTMODE !!!
MercedeSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:09 PM   #107
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,922
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
We have got to find ways to keep Godwin in the game. Surely he can play the 4 for a spell, right?
No reason Godwin canít be on the floor with Tanner. Heís agile and quick enough to guard a three and big enough to guard a four. Porter seems to be locked into a mindset that Sam has to replace Tanner and no one else.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #108
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,523
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Outside of Sherfield we got nothing consistently from our guards. And none of our inside players are consistent scoring threats. I guess Jacob Groves shows some promise at times and came up big at the end. Still a long ways to go.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:19 PM   #109
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Wow looks like we'll hold on. I think South Alabama may actually be more talented than we are.
they have a bunch of talent
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #110
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
No reason Godwin canít be on the floor with Tanner. Heís agile and quick enough to guard a three and big enough to guard a four. Porter seems to be locked into a mindset that Sam has to replace Tanner and no one else.
i don't think he can guard any of the 3's of 4 we played tonight ..


OU likes to switch 4 spots ... which means the 4 has to also guard 1's and 2's

Godwin is not capable of that
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:21 PM   #111
hoopsaustin
National Champion
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakland, Maine
Posts: 7,016
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Outside of Sherfield we got nothing consistently from our guards. And none of our inside players are consistent scoring threats. I guess Jacob Groves shows some promise at times and came up big at the end. Still a long ways to go.
Noland has not progressed. Dudes need to find the gym and the gun machine and get some shots up. Woof
__________________
Sam Houston State 6-1
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:24 PM   #112
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,995
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post


sorry if the pic came out large.

Last edited by NAIA All-Star; 11-18-2022 at 09:29 PM.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:32 PM   #113
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

next game turkey day at 4pm vs nebraska from orlando
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:41 PM   #114
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:48 PM   #115
mict085
All-American
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,639
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

We only had 11 turnovers and outrebounded them by 16!

Unfortunately, we couldn’t hit a 3 to save our lives and we continue to do things that prevent us from getting separation. We have some good pieces but we continue to struggle offensively and timely mistakes lead to points for the other team. Gotta get better and clean that up.

Also, is it me or do we have some strange sub patterns early in the games?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #116
bob the nailer
Walk-on
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmond
Posts: 228
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Our substitution patters are weird for sure. Get hot make 3 or 4 shots, PM must think you're tired cause you're likely coming out. Against good teams playing both groves and jalen hill at the same time is a recipe for disaster.
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #117
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 8,009
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the nailer View Post
Our substitution patters are weird for sure. Get hot make 3 or 4 shots, PM must think you're tired cause you're likely coming out. Against good teams playing both groves and jalen hill at the same time is a recipe for disaster.
Who made 3 or 4 shots then came out?
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #118
Soonerb98
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 51
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

It did seem like we got deep into the bench early, but I don't remember feeling like we had much offensive momentum to disrupt at that point.

What strikes me is that we seem to be playing decent defense pretty reliably, but I don't feel like we have many good defensive players outside Hill, and Oweh has flashed some in the last couple of games.

On offense, we should have some capable scorers, Grant, Bam, Tanner, but there's a lot of standing around and poor cohesion between players, so we struggle to set up open shots at times. Especially when we get stagnant vs a zone.

As a result, I came into the year feeling like we could score, but not sure if we could defend. Through 4 games, it feels like life is teaching me, once again, that I have no clue!

From an individual perspective, Godwin has been a real surprise. He looks scrappy and smart on the court. I definitely underestimated what he brings. On the other hand, Bam has been very underwhelming so far. He's not a good defender, but maybe he brings some scoring and rebounding at some point.

It will be interesting to see how we stack up against the huskers next week.
Soonerb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:32 AM   #119
steverocks35
Final Four
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,626
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerb98 View Post
It did seem like we got deep into the bench early, but I don't remember feeling like we had much offensive momentum to disrupt at that point.

What strikes me is that we seem to be playing decent defense pretty reliably, but I don't feel like we have many good defensive players outside Hill, and Oweh has flashed some in the last couple of games.

On offense, we should have some capable scorers, Grant, Bam, Tanner, but there's a lot of standing around and poor cohesion between players, so we struggle to set up open shots at times. Especially when we get stagnant vs a zone.

As a result, I came into the year feeling like we could score, but not sure if we could defend. Through 4 games, it feels like life is teaching me, once again, that I have no clue!

From an individual perspective, Godwin has been a real surprise. He looks scrappy and smart on the court. I definitely underestimated what he brings. On the other hand, Bam has been very underwhelming so far. He's not a good defender, but maybe he brings some scoring and rebounding at some point.

It will be interesting to see how we stack up against the huskers next week.
South Alabama was getting pretty much any shot they wanted last night for the vast majority of the game. I don't think we are a very good defensive team. Hill is an enigma to me as well. He had as many turnovers as points (4) and only 5 rebounds. Moore lit us up for 25 points and he was guarded most of the time by Hill. Our center jacked up ten 3 pointers and didn't make one. After you miss the first 4 or 5 why are you still launching them? He's not Steph Curry. If he's going to do that maybe we should play Godwin alongside him to at least stay inside and get rebounds and garbage baskets? I don't know. Moser's substitutions are like hockey line changes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

I just don't know where the team is right now to be honest. After the game before this one I thought the team was on the right track. It will be interesting to see how they play against Nebraska.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #120
Stikboy
All-American
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,819
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Can't take winning for granted, by any means. But.. Billy Tubbs is probably rolling over in his grave. His teams would have beaten this team like 125-75. I know times are different. It's early in the season, and you see supposed good teams struggling. Last game looked very smooth. But the performance is so choppy. Kind of like the football team, I have no idea what to expect from game to game. Hopefully Moser can start to meld the pieces together. If the offense and flow looks this bad and we're still beating Big 12 teams? I won't mind as much. But the prospect of playing teams like Texas, Kansas, Baylor, etc is downright terrifying right now. Really the only thing we can hang our hats on every night are Sherfield and Godwin off the bench, so far. Rebounding has been OK. I don't mind eeking out these wins against sub par teams, I guess, if we keep getting better. Next weekend will be interesting. I don't think Nebraska is that good. Seton Hall or Memphis might be a step up. The field overall isn't as good as a Battle 4 Atlantis. If we're as good as I hoped we should take all 3. If we take 2 out of 3 but look to be improving, i'd take that I guess.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #121
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,431
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Iím not a zone defense guy but all we needed to do was shift to a 2-3 zone and take Moore out of his element.

Offensively we would have looked a lot different if we hit shots. Iím not super worried about that end Ö if tanner hits 2 of his first 6 or 7 wide open 3s, the big has to come out and guard and sherfield is getting into the teeth of the defense all night.

They dared us to shoot, and we missed everything.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #122
Darwin
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cleveland county
Posts: 1,240
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

I think I see improving chemistry. I think we will trust all of a 9 man rotation and this team will be way better before conference, but not certain. Last year reminded me just how close pretty good is to mediocre.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #123
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,431
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I think I see improving chemistry. I think we will trust all of a 9 man rotation and this team will be way better before conference, but not certain. Last year reminded me just how close pretty good is to mediocre.
I agree that what weíre seeing is a team with a higher ceiling and a lower floor than last yeAr. Starting lower but have a chance to get rolling in conference if we can figure out how to hit an outside shot.

My biggest concern is that Moser last night said SA played a weird/unusual offense that made it hard to defend. Uh Ö that is clearly the church basketball clear out play. We KNEW what they were going to do for 10 straight minutes and refused to make any defensive adjustments to address it.

2-3 zone, trap him and then face guard him to keep the ball out of his hands, 1-3-1
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #124
Soonerb98
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 51
Default Re: OU vs South Alabama 7pm CST on ESPN+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
South Alabama was getting pretty much any shot they wanted last night for the vast majority of the game. I don't think we are a very good defensive team. Hill is an enigma to me as well. He had as many turnovers as points (4) and only 5 rebounds. Moore lit us up for 25 points and he was guarded most of the time by Hill. Our center jacked up ten 3 pointers and didn't make one. After you miss the first 4 or 5 why are you still launching them? He's not Steph Curry. If he's going to do that maybe we should play Godwin alongside him to at least stay inside and get rebounds and garbage baskets? I don't know. Moser's substitutions are like hockey line changes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

I just don't know where the team is right now to be honest. After the game before this one I thought the team was on the right track. It will be interesting to see how they play against Nebraska.
I was saying that I thought our defense has been more consistent over 4 games than our offense.
I thought 1 guy on S Bama could get the shots he wanted, and he was a clear matchup problem for us, but as a team they only scored 27 points in the 2nd half and barely shot over 40% for the game. To my eyes, the inability to hit shots consistently made the game much closer than it should have been more so than consistently poor defense. I'm not saying we are great defensively, and I agree it was frustrating that we didn't make more adjustments on Moore after he got going in their iso scheme, but I still feel like we have been more consistently solid on that side of the ball.

Aside from that, I yelled a lot of the other things you said at the TV myself, just ask my wife.
Soonerb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com