ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #26
coolm
National Champion

Default Re: What on earth happened last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Geez.. not again. Same people that hate Trae young, hates Landry Jones in football... morons
the day you wish to challenge my IQ then you name the time and place. I am way out of your league junior.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
inoref
All-Conference

I think OU was fine last year until other teams figured out how to play TY..then OU just wasn't good enough to overcome that....New year move on
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #28
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Geez.. not again. Same people that hate Trae young, hates Landry Jones in football... morons
bad comparison
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
I'm sure we've all played with "that" guy...who makes 1 difficult shot then all the sudden decides he's Michael Jordan...and continues.
He had a record-setting number of assists, and if his teammates had hit even a reasonable number of the open shots he set them up with, he'd have had even more.

Was there a chemistry problem on the team last year? Absolutely. But laying the blame for that on one freshman player is absurd. Everyone loved TY when it was going well last season, but a certain faction of our fans turned on him and him alone when things went south. That's cockeyed thinking. There was plenty of blame to go around.

I don't know why some fans need to have one person to blame when things go wrong, but it's a phenomenon one sees over and over. OU football fans are the same way. It's a team game and there are always coaches involved. Blaming any one player (especially when two other players were shown the door in the offseason) is simplistic at best.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
the day you wish to challenge my IQ then you name the time and place. I am way out of your league junior.
Mods, why is this allowed? It gets really old.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #31
schoonerdriver
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
I wouldnt go that far. I just prefer our current dynamic over the one with him leading the team.
For sure, the team approach is a more effective way to winning basketball. Looking back at all the great OU players, the teams around them were great as well. Buddy, Blake, Hollis, Najera, Wayman, etc..., all played on good to great teams.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #32
uberjamb
Walk-on

Well, I did not mean for this to become an argument, but a lot of you have offered really enlightening things. I think Trae should have been given the offense, like he was. He is just a special talent. I can see how that could have messed with chemistry, though. It’s just such a disappointment that it didn’t really work out. Last year’s team had enough talent to be much better.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I'm tired of his insults. you should go read them before blaming me.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #34
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
He had a record-setting number of assists, and if his teammates had hit even a reasonable number of the open shots he set them up with, he'd have had even more.

Was there a chemistry problem on the team last year? Absolutely. But laying the blame for that on one freshman player is absurd. Everyone loved TY when it was going well last season, but a certain faction of our fans turned on him and him alone when things went south. That's cockeyed thinking. There was plenty of blame to go around.

I don't know why some fans need to have one person to blame when things go wrong, but it's a phenomenon one sees over and over. OU football fans are the same way. It's a team game and there are always coaches involved. Blaming any one player (especially when two other players were shown the door in the offseason) is simplistic at best.
The players didn't love him even when they were winning.

He is a good kid. Yes he was a major factor in the chemistry issue as was Rayford.

Yes LK should have handled it differently and tried many things but never got it accomplished. Of course was he supposed to bench TY for not doing what he was supposed to and play Shephard? Tough to go that direction.

McGusty was an issue he thought he was an elite scorer and couldn't shoot the ball. He probably played less D than TY.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #35
sooner333
Role Player

Seems like the chemistry problem is on everyone. It seems like the coaches may have treated Trae a bit different, some of his teammates had a hard time adjusting to a true freshman being far and away the best player on the team (and in a ball dominant manner), and Trae maybe didnít endear himself to his teammates well. Although to be fair this was expected to be a multi-year process with Trae and the timeline sped up very quickly in a way where his teammates knew he wouldnít be back the next year. McGusty also seemed to say ďf itĒ and shot every time he got the ball, which doesnít help matters.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #36
NickZepp
National Champion

If you take Trae off last years team. That team may be the worst team in all of college basketball.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #37
OUSKINS
Walk-on

I think the disconnect in this thread and when talking about TY in general is that when someone says they ďblameĒ TY for chemistry issues, others interpret that to mean they are saying he is a bad human being.

I absolutely believe TY wound up having an overall negative impact on the team last year and that the chemistry issues revolved largely around him. He obviously went bananas early and we won some games. But we were a horrible basketball team by seasonís end. That is NOT the career MO for Kruger and we see the team this year immediately seem to improve so I donít think connecting the dots to TY is a stretch.

I also think where there is smoke there is fire. It always bugged me a little bit that his HS team didnít do better and that there were rumblings about tension with teammates. The fact that Lindy Waters clearly states they are not friends is... odd to me. Also had the rumblings about his Dad being overly involved... also had the very odd reaction when the team watched the Selection Show. Just add all that up and I think itís clear something was just off. It doesnít mean TY was a bad kid. It just means that perhaps the combo of his style of play and his personality/family just werenít a great fit. I also absolutely lay blame on the staff for not being able to figure it out. Or at least figure SOMETHING out.

For me, it was just a failed experiment. That team was a disaster by March. It just didnít work out very well. It happens. Like others, I donít feel much connection to TY as a Sooner, but I donít dislike him or root against him either. Itís sort of a shoulder shrug and moving on for me... so far, this yearís team is WAY more enjoyable to watch.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #38
BCSooners
All-Conference

Ball movement, defense, & player excitement is 100x better. Everyone has improved, grad transfers have been really good, Doolittle back to form. I actually enjoy watching the games this year.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #39
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Let's not forget one obvious thing. Last year's team didn't defend. At all. And it was that way from day one. No way all, or even most of that, can be blamed on Trae. The team as a whole made a commitment to change that, which Lon demanded after last season ended. I don't really care who is to blame, I'm just glad the returning players changed their approach, and that the staff identified the perfect players to bring in this season. Bieniemy and the grad transfers are ideal fits.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #40
NickZepp
National Champion

Look people are low on our best player from last year but what did he have to work with? The 2nd best scorer was James who was not consistent. He could come out and get close to 20 or come out and not be seen anywhere. James has improved a lot from last year. McGusty only averaged 8 points a game last year. Odomes average 7. And outside of Odomes none of those guys really defended at all last year. As others have pointed out Odomes is relegated lower on the bench. I'm not sure our scoring at the wings will be a lot better. But the defense is there. The guard play last year was abysmal outside of Trae Young last year. Our 2nd and 3rd most effective players last year were Muni and Latin Nobody else was even close.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #41
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
I think the disconnect in this thread and when talking about TY in general is that when someone says they ďblameĒ TY for chemistry issues, others interpret that to mean they are saying he is a bad human being.

I absolutely believe TY wound up having an overall negative impact on the team last year and that the chemistry issues revolved largely around him. He obviously went bananas early and we won some games. But we were a horrible basketball team by seasonís end. That is NOT the career MO for Kruger and we see the team this year immediately seem to improve so I donít think connecting the dots to TY is a stretch.

I also think where there is smoke there is fire. It always bugged me a little bit that his HS team didnít do better and that there were rumblings about tension with teammates. The fact that Lindy Waters clearly states they are not friends is... odd to me. Also had the rumblings about his Dad being overly involved... also had the very odd reaction when the team watched the Selection Show. Just add all that up and I think itís clear something was just off. It doesnít mean TY was a bad kid. It just means that perhaps the combo of his style of play and his personality/family just werenít a great fit. I also absolutely lay blame on the staff for not being able to figure it out. Or at least figure SOMETHING out.

For me, it was just a failed experiment. That team was a disaster by March. It just didnít work out very well. It happens. Like others, I donít feel much connection to TY as a Sooner, but I donít dislike him or root against him either. Itís sort of a shoulder shrug and moving on for me... so far, this yearís team is WAY more enjoyable to watch.
Spot on.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #42
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, but I have to admit that last one kind of made me LOL.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #43
Soonerinkc
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

My bad...I didn't necessarily "blame" TY. I agree he had a ton of assists that guys didn't convert. I was just saying these are college guys with "egos"..being the best on their respective HS teams..the attitude, it's a natural occurrence I'm sure.

I actually put "blame" on the other players and coaches for not curtailing that attitude I mentioned.

IMHO he probably felt he "needed" to take over some times...kind of like KM/offense with football...

Bottom line, I like this years team. Everyone seems to be working hard and playing together.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #44
Chiefdaddy
Walk-on

This team has been a nice surprise this year. Don't put this all on Trae Young though. Two main differences from last year. PLAYING DEFENSE and James is playing consistent. I like the way Calixte is running the point and Reynolds and Bieniemy are playing good d. I'm still not sold on this team yet as we are depending on James being a consistent scorer. I still don't trust him to be the man after 3 years but I hope he proves me wrong. Also, if these guys could have hit a shot last year in the games we would have been fine. It looks like they have put in the time in the gym.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #45
oudna
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
If you take Trae off last years team. That team may be the worst team in all of college basketball.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Crazy talk
Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #46
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post
Crazy talk
How?

Manic Manek
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #47
sperry
All-Conference

Again, you removed guys who were not good players but getting major minutes like McGusty, Lattin, and Shepherd, and replaced them with quality players. You saw natural improvement from a lot of players on the roster year over year.

That's the difference. Blaming Trae is just beyond idiotic.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #48
usedtobe1
Administrator

There were things going on last year that a few on here know about. Sometimes it’s just better to let a sleeping dog alone..... or if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

I don’t care about last year. It’s gone. I care about this season, and I think it’s a team that’s fun to watch. They aren’t world beaters but they play hard.and seem to have good chemistry.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #49
oudna
All-Conference

Quote:
How?
He didnít say worst team in the Big 12. He said in all of college basketball.

There are 347 teams. Itís either hyperbole or stupid.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #50
billyball
All-Conference

Where did McGusty transfer?
Closed Thread