ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
uberjamb
Walk-on

Default What on earth happened last year?

Trae Young is obviously a special talent. Heís doing pretty great in the NBA as a rookie. At least so far, this yearís OU team proves that he wasnít surrounded by a bunch of scrubs, and I never believed that. Why on earth was that team so bad? It doesnít make any sense.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
Max Power
Elite Eight

Default Re: What on earth happened last year?

They didn't like each other.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #3
coolm
National Champion

no leadership and terrible team chemistry.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
918sooner
Walk-on

I think team chemistry was a huge issue myself
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
NickZepp
National Champion

Team chemistry and we just weren't as talented in areas. James was young and inconsistent. McGusty was arguably our 2nd or 3rd best player and the most promising scorer we had and was just awful half the time. I think we just have it upgraded all around in talent now. If Trae were on this team they are probably pretty close to a final four contender.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
pnkranger
All-Conference

Senior leadership.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
If Trae were on this team they are probably pretty close to a final four contender.
noooooooooo.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

I agree about the leadership. Manek is clearly stronger and a bit better. James is playing super well. I think McGusty was a huge problem. Wasn't a team player and would not play any defense.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
Sooner Season
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Team chemistry and we just weren't as talented in areas. James was young and inconsistent. McGusty was arguably our 2nd or 3rd best player and the most promising scorer we had and was just awful half the time. I think we just have it upgraded all around in talent now. If Trae were on this team they are probably pretty close to a final four contender.
I pretty much disagree with this entire post.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
AdaSooner
Administrator

The problem was all of the above. But, it was mainly team chemistry. When the losses started to pile up toward the end of the season, finger pointing and the blame game was the order of the day. Leadership was nonexistent.

Two of the trouble makers transferred. The remainder of the team made a commitment one by one to Coach Kruger. We’re seeing the results of that commitment now. Amazing what a difference playing as one unit (for each other) makes, isn’t it?
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
... it was mainly team chemistry. When the losses started to pile up toward the end of the season, finger pointing and the blame game was the order of the day. Leadership was nonexistent.

Two of the trouble makers transferred. The remainder of the team made a commitment one by one to Coach Kruger. Weíre seeing the results of that commitment now. Amazing what a difference playing as one unit (for each other) makes, isnít it?
yes. all of this.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #12
schoonerdriver
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
noooooooooo.
I agree. Trae hasn't shown the ability to play consistent winning basketball at any level.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
I agree. Trae hasn't shown the ability to play consistent winning basketball at any level.
I wouldnt go that far. I just prefer our current dynamic over the one with him leading the team.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Sooner Season
Walk-on

Quote:
I wouldnt go that far. I just prefer our current dynamic over the one with him leading the team.
+1
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
sperry
All-Conference

We added two senior guards who have played over 100 D1 college games and Christian James improved dramatically.

Last year we had Kam McGusty, Khadeem Lattin and Jordan Shepherd playing major minutes. That's not a good thing. Those minutes have been replaced with much better players. Odomes is down from 20 minutes to 11 minutes per game, again a good thing.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #16
ellissooner
Walk-on

I've heard that things weren't great with the Youngs. All about themselves and I know I'll get slammed but take it for what's it worth.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I said it from the day Trae committed, that I did not like his attitude and that it could cause some lockerroom issues. He was quoted as a self proclaimed savior of OU basketball. It had to rub the guys that had put in the blood sweat and tears the wrong way
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 12-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
oufanfrmks
Walk-on

The problem with the team last year? Trae Young, hands down. It was all about him. He knew it, the coaches new and so did the players. We were fortunate to only have lost McGusty from the team. It would have been easy for others to give up and go elsewhere. I'm glad they didn't, it shows the maturity level and commitment to the program.

Trae is a Sooner and always will be, but he will never be on the same level (mean as much to the university) as Blake and Buddy. I would put Hollis Price and Ryan Minor above him as well. They were all team players, Trae was only there for himself and that was it. I wouldn't say it's 100% his fault either, his dad is pretty arrogant. Trae's family and my family have a mutual friend. I spoke to his dad after a game last year and mentioned it. His response to me was "I think I know who that is." Struck me wrong.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #19
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oufanfrmks View Post
The problem with the team last year? Trae Young, hands down. It was all about him. He knew it, the coaches new and so did the players. We were fortunate to only have lost McGusty from the team. It would have been easy for others to give up and go elsewhere. I'm glad they didn't, it shows the maturity level and commitment to the program.

Trae is a Sooner and always will be, but he will never be on the same level (mean as much to the university) as Blake and Buddy. I would put Hollis Price and Ryan Minor above him as well. They were all team players, Trae was only there for himself and that was it. I wouldn't say it's 100% his fault either, his dad is pretty arrogant. Trae's family and my family have a mutual friend. I spoke to his dad after a game last year and mentioned it. His response to me was "I think I know who that is." Struck me wrong.
the other guy you talk about in this post and his parents were the much bigger probelm last season than young
Old 12-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
TINY
All-Conference

There’s no doubt that the team chemistry went into the ****ter about midway through. People blaming a true freshman for that have no effin idea what they are talking about. The coaches lost the team, plain and simple. There was no senior leadership to help out the coaches either.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #21
stormspencer
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Thereís no doubt that the team chemistry went into the ****ter about midway through. People blaming a true freshman for that have no effin idea what they are talking about. The coaches lost the team, plain and simple. There was no senior leadership to help out the coaches either.
As experienced and as wise as Lon is, I do think he learned a lesson from last year. And we are now reaping the benefits this year from the total 180 this team has undergone from an attitude, leadership, and toughness standpoint.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #22
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Thereís no doubt that the team chemistry went into the ****ter about midway through. People blaming a true freshman for that have no effin idea what they are talking about. The coaches lost the team, plain and simple. There was no senior leadership to help out the coaches either.
I am sorry Tiny, but Trae's negative impact on the teams' chemistry is a fact. It wasn't because he's a bad kid ... just a matter of the style of play that coaching let happen with him at the helm.

Now whether the coaches should have nipped that in the bud quickly is a good question. I believe everyone in Norman, myself included, got wrapped up in the hype and we suffered the wrath of it all.

IMO they should have put the programs' needs first and harped on defense from the beginning. Trae included. If that ended up costing a game or two so be it. Making them ALL work together harder on team defense would have brought the group closer together. They really needed one a-hole coach to be the heavy and then the guys could all grow together in their disgust with his methods.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
Soonerinkc
All-Conference

Quote:
I am sorry Tiny, but Trae's negative impact on the teams' chemistry is a fact. It wasn't because he's a bad kid ... just a matter of the style of play that coaching let happen with him at the helm.
I'm sure we've all played with "that" guy...who makes 1 difficult shot then all the sudden decides he's Michael Jordan...and continues.

Granted shooters shoot, I get that.....but there were plenty of times last year TY made some very poor decisions. Yes, it was on the coaches to rein him in...they didn't.

As a player it gets on your nerves, at some point it's why come down and play offense and bust your ass when TY is just going to jack up a shot.

When misses start coming with bad timing it affects the players.

Just my 2 cents.

We definitely are more of a team...that's for sure.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Geez.. not again. Same people that hate Trae young, hates Landry Jones in football... morons

Manic Manek
Old 12-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #25
oudna
All-Conference

It’s pretty obvious his teammates weren’t overly fond of him
Closed Thread