ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #51
Romulus
Starter

Default Re: If Lon left....

OU should have hired Terry Stotts after Kelvin left.
I love me some Bruce Pearl, but that isnít happening.

I really have zero idea whoíd Iíd go after Buzz and Gregg Marshall have 15 million buyouts, so mark them off.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #52
WichitaSooner
Role Player

All this Gregg Marshall talk is ridiculous. And even if it wasn't, he would never take the job because he loves the spotlight far too much to coach at a school where basketball is, sadly, an afterthought. He's in the perfect spot. He's the big man in town, no competition from football or anything else, and he can use that to hawk every product in town and get his family attention. Plus, he's never coached in a power conference. Take away one magic Final Four run five years ago, and most people on here wouldn't even know his name.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 AM   #53
red recluse
Starter

marshall will never happen for many reasons, and i am sure the number one reason is that joe c would never have his wife be any kind of representative for this university.

not saying i want him, but i will be curious to see where thunder dan majerle winds up. seems to be a good coach, who might possibly have a heart attack on the sideline one day.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #54
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
OU should have hired Terry Stotts after Kelvin left.
I love me some Bruce Pearl, but that isnít happening.

I really have zero idea whoíd Iíd go after Buzz and Gregg Marshall have 15 million buyouts, so mark them off.
I like pearl also.

I'm telling you guys ... we need a young, vibrant, defensive-oriented coach who this fanbase can grow with a it like we did with kelvin. someone from like the UVa dude's coaching tree or in that little group of beard and the SFA coach or even that group around the Buffalo coaches. someone new whose style got a little notoriety. a young guy who will make his own era here.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #55
bob the nailer
Walk-on

A new arena off campus is in the works
Til then we are stuck with the LNC. Truth is TV money is more important the fans in the stands, witness the number of weekday 6pm and 8pm games this year. The days when all weekday home games were at 7 unless it was big Monday are gone. Tough to get to Norman by 6 if you work or live in OKC or Edmond.
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #56
WaymanFan
Administrator

Some of the names I'm reading are obviously in the "wishful thinking" category...but it's all in good fun.

Joe C already has one miss in his two hoops hires, so he will take this very seriously if the head-coaching job came open. Going the mid-major route, there's always a chance of landing the next Billy Tubbs. Since Joe C has a lot more "hits" than "misses" overall, I believe he'll get it right...just have no idea who he would try to pursue.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #57
DenverSooner
National Champion

I donít get the reverence for Joe C by so many OU fans. He has done a solid job but he also lied to us about selling alcohol at the new stadium. I am fairly in different to the guy. The real person that deserves credit is David Boren. He made the commitment to excel at sports.
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #58
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
I don’t get the reverence for Joe C by so many OU fans. He has done a solid job but he also lied to us about selling alcohol at the new stadium. I am fairly in different to the guy. The real person that deserves credit is David Boren. He made the commitment to excel at sports.
You mean the guy who wins national AD of the year annually?

The guy who won 4 national titles last year while bringing in the second highest net income in the nation? Yeah, that guy arguably is the best AD of all time.

P.s. look no further than David boren for the lack of alcohol. If joe c had it his way, he would have signed off on Budweiser bowling in and renovating the stadium back in the early 2000s in exchange for Budweiser to be sold at the games. Boren, the same guy who made the campus dry, said no.

Last edited by TINY; 03-16-2018 at 08:15 AM.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #59
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I donít get the reverence for Joe C by so many OU fans. He has done a solid job but he also lied to us about selling alcohol at the new stadium. I am fairly in different to the guy. The real person that deserves credit is David Boren. He made the commitment to excel at sports.
LOL.

Joe C. has the OU athletic department operating at an amazingly high level. I don't follow all of the secondary sports, but OU football is really good, men's basketball was just in a FF, softball, gymnastics, and a few others. We just made changes for baseball and wrestling.

That doesn't even take into account the facility upgrades and many other things.

He may not get them all right, but Joe C. has been a God send for OU athletics.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #60
greenbug
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
All this Gregg Marshall talk is ridiculous. And even if it wasn't, he would never take the job because he loves the spotlight far too much to coach at a school where basketball is, sadly, an afterthought. He's in the perfect spot. He's the big man in town, no competition from football or anything else, and he can use that to hawk every product in town and get his family attention. Plus, he's never coached in a power conference. Take away one magic Final Four run five years ago, and most people on here wouldn't even know his name.
Wrong. Gregg Marshall was on my radar when he was at Winthrop. Basketball people have definitely known who he was for years. Also, if he ends up at Georgia, that will destroy the "Basketball Only" school argument.
greenbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #61
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbug View Post
Wrong. Gregg Marshall was on my radar when he was at Winthrop. Basketball people have definitely known who he was for years. Also, if he ends up at Georgia, that will destroy the "Basketball Only" school argument.
Georgia is hiring Crean.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #62
vbdad
Role Player

We aren't getting rid of LK at this point. He might want to quit. No way Joe C. hires somebody right now until all of the FBI stuff is done. There is no telling what guys are going to be involved.

Bruce Pearl has had NCAA trouble every place he has been including Auburn this year.

Gregg Marshall is described perfectly. He can coach but is a real ego maniac plus we don't have enough fans in the arena for his wife screaming MF at the officials all game to not be heard. Joe isn't going to tolerate that behavior.

As far as big name coaches our arena sucks. We don't have good attendance at games. And Joe is very highly regarded as an AD but the whole department is not supportive of basketball.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #63
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Some of the names I'm reading are obviously in the "wishful thinking" category...but it's all in good fun.

Joe C already has one miss in his two hoops hires, so he will take this very seriously if the head-coaching job came open. Going the mid-major route, there's always a chance of landing the next Billy Tubbs. Since Joe C has a lot more "hits" than "misses" overall, I believe he'll get it right...just have no idea who he would try to pursue.
Exactly! Joe C did everything he could to avoid admitting he made a mistake by sending Capel on his way, which is why I have said all along he will not replace Lon Kruger anytime soon. He also likes being able to sleep at night knowing the FBI will not be knocking on his door.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #64
ouboomer
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
We aren't getting rid of LK at this point. He might want to quit. No way Joe C. hires somebody right now until all of the FBI stuff is done. There is no telling what guys are going to be involved.

Bruce Pearl has had NCAA trouble every place he has been including Auburn this year.

Gregg Marshall is described perfectly. He can coach but is a real ego maniac plus we don't have enough fans in the arena for his wife screaming MF at the officials all game to not be heard. Joe isn't going to tolerate that behavior.

As far as big name coaches our arena sucks. We don't have good attendance at games. And Joe is very highly regarded as an AD but the whole department is not supportive of basketball.
This boggles my mind, why work in athletics if you don't want to support or help your program achieve success? Are these people Joe C could replace or are these the few money people OU has? Just curious.
ouboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #65
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbug View Post
What's wrong about what I said? Because he was on your radar doesn't mean "most" advocating for him knew who he was a few years ago, which was what I pointed out. People here always want anyone who is enjoying some recent success. I mean, someone mentioned Buffalo's coach!!! I'd be willing to be bet that person has seen Buffalo play exactly one game and it just so happened to be the best game in school history.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #66
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Denver, put done the weed
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #67
DenverSooner
National Champion

Quote:

Great point.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #68
DenverSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Denver, put done the weed
I donít view things like many of you. I see David Bore. As the reason things are good at OU. I think Joe does a good job but he did lie and he doesnít win the titles. The teams do. As far as maximizing income, I am not sure that should be the standard for a public university. It is one way to measure things and certainly better than operating at a loss but OUís mission is not to make money.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #69
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
I donít view things like many of you.
You got that right.

I don't know why you blame Joe C for the alcohol or even why it is that big of a deal. That is all Boren and his wife.

Joe C hires the right people for the right jobs.

And why would you not want you AD to bring in money? What is your goal for the AD and how would you define success? B/c Joe C hits every mark I can think of for success.
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #70
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
I donít view things like many of you. I see David Bore. As the reason things are good at OU. I think Joe does a good job but he did lie and he doesnít win the titles. The teams do. As far as maximizing income, I am not sure that should be the standard for a public university. It is one way to measure things and certainly better than operating at a loss but OUís mission is not to make money.
Boren gets a ton of credit for the current state of ou, especially academically. He was instrumental in hiring Joe C, and he has signed off on the hiring of all the coaches, too. Boren has been a great president and I will be sad to see him go.

The athletic department is different than the university. The AD takes no money from the state and actually pays the university which is not something most ADs in the country do. All of the programs providing scholarships for elite education and training do not exist without a positive annual ROI. Joe Cís most important job is to make money for the AD and it trickles down to the university. His ability to bring in and retain talent while netting more money than 99.99999% of other ADs is second to none. That is why he recognized as the best in his field by his peers annually.

The leadership at ou has been exceptionally under their watch and it will be very difficult to replicate when they are gone.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #71
tsou89
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Boren gets a ton of credit for the current state of ou, especially academically. He was instrumental in hiring Joe C, and he has signed off on the hiring of all the coaches, too. Boren has been a great president and I will be sad to see him go.

The athletic department is different than the university. The AD takes no money from the state and actually pays the university which is not something most ADs in the country do. All of the programs providing scholarships for elite education and training do not exist without a positive annual ROI. Joe Cís most important job is to make money for the AD and it trickles down to the university. His ability to bring in and retain talent while netting more money than 99.99999% of other ADs is second to none. That is why he recognized as the best in his field by his peers annually.

The leadership at ou has been exceptionally under their watch and it will be very difficult to replicate when they are gone.
Well said and 100% accurate.
tsou89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #72
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
during kelvins interview after their win last night he said something rather poignant. He said that coaches can win some games but the program wins championships.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #73
All-Conference

Quote:

Doesnít help that the OU hoops program receives very poor support from all the OU ďfansĒ.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #74
All-Conference

The Boren/Castiglione duo is clearly the best President/AD combo in school history and it isn’t even close.
152219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #75
vbdad
Role Player

The athletic department does give money to the university. It is exactly the amount of money collected as the "Academic Enhancement Fee" charged to buy football tickets.

Very generous with other peoples money.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote