ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-15-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,317
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
Just a fun fact...

Lon is now 3-13 in overtime games at OU.
Telling.. how many wins were buddy hield teams? All?
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #27
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 1,966
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Telling.. how many wins were buddy hield teams? All?
Had an OT win this year.

To the thread I definitely wouldn't want Marshall. Buzz Williams, then Steve Henson.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 1,966
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorsooner View Post
I want them to back the truck up, unload some money, and hire a proven coach. Bennet from UVA, Wright from Nova, I would even go after Kelvin again. I think I remember lots of rumors of trying to get Wright from years ago and didn't they also try to get Geno from UCONN?
Might as well go for Popovich.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #29
red recluse
Starter
 
red recluse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,256
Default Re: If Lon left....

well, whoever gets porter moser is gonna be legit...
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #30
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
No elite coach is going to come to OU until the donors and administration fully commit to the program. So, never.

There are so many things that could be done to upgrade the facilities and the basketball experience. So many things that could be done to help the OU program take the next step and be great. But it will never happen as long as basketball is an afterthought at OU.

I understand footballnis king, but why is basketball neglected. We canít compete with the big boys if we donít try.
I understand what you are saying and agree but OU is paying LK $3 million per year and unless things have changed OU has had a very generous recruiting budget.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #31
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
I understand what you are saying and agree but OU is paying LK $3 million per year and unless things have changed OU has had a very generous recruiting budget.
Yeah, Lon has done a poor job 2 years post FF. We had a lot of momentum and the program has fallen off a cliff 2 years in a row, staring at another awful season next year. Weíre not getting enough return on that investment.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Had an OT win this year.

To the thread I definitely wouldn't want Marshall. Buzz Williams, then Steve Henson.
Greg marshall would kick ass at OU. Heís not coming tho.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #33
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,536
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
well, whoever gets porter moser is gonna be legit...
I couldnít agree more, red recluse!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7jVe_xvV6o
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #34
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,506
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by red recluse View Post
well, whoever gets porter moser is gonna be legit...
Who is he?
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #35
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Who is he?
Loyola
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #36
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,506
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
Loyola
That tells me nothing.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #37
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
That tells me nothing.
The team that beat Miami today....Loyola of Chicago.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #38
greenbug
Walk-on
 
greenbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 380
Default Re: If Lon left....

I said Gregg Marshall before we hired Lon and I say Gregg Marshall now.
greenbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #39
Matthew G
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 360
Default Re: If Lon left....

Surprised none of you have mentioned SFA head coach (Kyler Keller), the Ok state alum. Figured you guys would love him for his defenses and because he is a Poke.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #40
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Default Re: If Lon left....

Thad matta is still available, for now.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
califca
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 291
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorsooner View Post
I want them to back the truck up, unload some money, and hire a proven coach. Bennet from UVA, Wright from Nova, I would even go after Kelvin again. I think I remember lots of rumors of trying to get Wright from years ago and didn't they also try to get Geno from UCONN?
Their not hiring a proven Top Gun coach like you have listed. They will never go after Kelvin nor should they. Henson would be my guess. Not my first choice but the other choices are for dreamers Like you.
califca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #42
windsorsooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by califca View Post
Their not hiring a proven Top Gun coach like you have listed. They will never go after Kelvin nor should they. Henson would be my guess. Not my first choice but the other choices are for dreamers Like you.
Call me what you want, it was just a thought and something for us to talk about. This board is for open discussion and my question is hypothetical because Lon probably isnít leaving soon, I know this. I was just trying to see what everyone else thought when that day does come. As far as it being a ďdreamĒ, money talks and if OU committed to basketball and spent the money, OU is an all time NCAA top 25 team and could land a quality top gun coach. Also, if you donít like the topic or thread donít participate.
windsorsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #43
Matthew G
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 360
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorsooner View Post
Call me what you want, it was just a thought and something for us to talk about. This board is for open discussion and my question is hypothetical because Lon probably isnít leaving soon, I know this. I was just trying to see what everyone else thought when that day does come. As far as it being a ďdreamĒ, money talks and if OU committed to basketball and spent the money, OU is an all time NCAA top 25 team and could land a quality top gun coach. Also, if you donít like the topic or thread donít participate.


Money does talk, and OU has the worst arena in the Big 12 followed by the worst weight room and plays in a half empty arena. So the support for this program has been spoken for, it's not good. Find a coach willing to to be the secondary sport for fans and everyone else, because that's what OU is. Football is king here, fans know it, players know it, and it shows in our facilities.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #44
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Default Re: If Lon left....

We need some big donors to build a state of the art arena on campus and give the program everything to succeed.

The LNC is an out of date dump. Concrete everywhere. Looks like it should be hosting a tractor pull, not a basketball game. Worst arena in the big12.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #45
Matthew G
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 360
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
We need some big donors to build a state of the art arena on campus and give the program everything to succeed.

The LNC is an out of date dump. Concrete everywhere. Looks like it should be hosting a tractor pull, not a basketball game. Worst arena in the big12.
Never going to happen.


A) OU doesn't have big donors to begin with.

B) We have a $300m football project which is priority. Of course, we can only do half because we don't have donors

C) OU would rather the city pay for an off campus arena than put money into anything else.


Reality is what it is. OU doesn't have big boosters, and the booster we have don't care about basketball.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #46
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,506
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Money does talk, and OU has the worst arena in the Big 12 followed by the worst weight room and plays in a half empty arena. So the support for this program has been spoken for, it's not good. Find a coach willing to to be the secondary sport for fans and everyone else, because that's what OU is. Football is king here, fans know it, players know it, and it shows in our facilities.
I guess we should just cancel that new weight room, then.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #47
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,255
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Surprised none of you have mentioned SFA head coach (Kyler Keller), the Ok state alum. Figured you guys would love him for his defenses and because he is a Poke.
Didn't Keller have a "Cause" issue to get back into coaching for cheating.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #48
mardaddy51
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 193
Default Re: If Lon left....

Splash hire...... Billy Donovan!
mardaddy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #49
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 579
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Never going to happen.


A) OU doesn't have big donors to begin with.

B) We have a $300m football project which is priority. Of course, we can only do half because we don't have donors

C) OU would rather the city pay for an off campus arena than put money into anything else.


Reality is what it is. OU doesn't have big boosters, and the booster we have don't care about basketball.
Everything you said is true. Also why OU will remain what they've always been. Irrelevant.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #50
windsorsooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: If Lon left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Everything you said is true. Also why OU will remain what they've always been. Irrelevant.
Great points about attendance and the arena. Both need improvements and support. I wouldnít call OU irrelevant though. They are ranked top 25 all time and I believe they have the 10th most NCAA tournament appearances in the last 35 years. I would say they are more of a sleeping giant if the right amount of resources were invested into basketball.
windsorsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com