ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
sperry
All-Conference

Default Zion

I wish he'd gone to a school other than Dook, but it is fun getting a chance to watch this kid play college basketball. Can't believe it, but he's actually exceeded the hype. He's a great player to go along with the just insane athleticism.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #2
stormspencer
All-American

Default Re: Zion

I feel the same way. I can't stand Duke, but Zion is a straight up baller.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
thebigabd
National Champion

I like Duke.... great school, great coach. Duke is a powerhouse but they aren't sleezy like Kentucky.

Coach K graduated from West Point... Served active duty in the Army for several years... coached the US Olympic team to gold medals.. Has coached and mentored people for decades. Does a lot now for veterans.

If he isn't already, he will clearly go down as one of the top 5 coaches in history...

What's the problem with Duke? I'd send my son to play for Coach K at Duke if he had the chance. Would you?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I like Duke.... great school, great coach. Duke is a powerhouse but they aren't sleezy like Kentucky.

Coach K graduated from West Point... Served active duty in the Army for several years... coached the US Olympic team to gold medals.. Has coached and mentored people for decades. Does a lot now for veterans.

If he isn't already, he will clearly go down as one of the top 5 coaches in history...

What's the problem with Duke? I'd send my son to play for Coach K at Duke if he had the chance. Would you?
he's sleezy
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
he's sleezy
All a big mirage. He cheats with the rest of them imo. Gets more calls than anyone. I think its unfair he gets to "coach" the Olympics.. gets to put that on his resume and no other coach gets to. Plus hes gets all of the credit for simply putting our vastly superior talented players out there and we win everything..

I hate duke like i hate KU

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
thebigabd
National Champion

Evidence? Or is this a POTUS-style accusation with no bearing on facts or reality?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Evidence? Or is this a POTUS-style accusation with no bearing on facts or reality?
Every bit as much evidence as there is regarding Kentucky. Google Corey Maggette, for starters. Not to mention that in the years when Duke started getting a lot of the one-and-done guys, their ace recruiter was none other than Jeff Capel, who we know has a history of paying for players.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
What evidence do you have of Kentucky?
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
stormspencer
All-American

Quote:

I've hated Duke since the Laettner and Bobby Hurley days.....and my feelings haven't changed. You can add Langdon, Battier, Dunleavy Jr., Paulus, Parks, and Grayson Allen to that list as well.....nuff said.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
sperry
All-Conference

Of course Bigabd is here for the nonsense contrarian opinion. You really are insufferable.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Evidence? Of cheating? No, but nothing would surprise me. Of being a sleazbag, dirty mouth phony? Absolutely!

I have a number of relatives in that area, including two Duke graduates and one former employee. Coach K knows how to play the Mr Nice Guy game. He’s anything but the gentleman he pretends to be. I can’t stand him or the school he represents!
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
skyvue
Elite Eight

I have a former colleague who attended Duke and is a devoted fan of the program. He dealt with Coach K quite a bit while he was there (he was a journalism student, I think) and hinted none too subtly to me that Coach K wasn't nearly the nice guy he's perceived as.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
CoachTalk
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I have a former colleague who attended Duke and is a devoted fan of the program. He dealt with Coach K quite a bit while he was there (he was a journalism student, I think) and hinted none too subtly to me that Coach K wasn't nearly the nice guy he's perceived as.
He's a well-known prick in coaches circles, Even from clinics you can gather that info!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Of course Bigabd is here for the nonsense contrarian opinion. You really are insufferable.
Ok, I hate Duke because they win a lot too. Now I am like you.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
He's a well-known prick in coaches circles, Even from clinics you can gather that info!
Sad because he used to not be that way....saw him at a NIKE Clinic in the late 1980's in Dallas when he first got Duke rolling. He was very humble and modest.

Now, he's totally different. Sad to see.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
opsooner
Elite Eight

Default Zion

I don’t hate Duke but I don’t like them either. Still, I typically want them to win when they play NC, KU, and UK.

As for original topic, heck yes. That kid can play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #17
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I've heard that also but I think that most of his players and former players will run through a wall for him. Sort of the kind of guy you hate unless he's on your side and then you love him.

As for Zion, he's unbelievable, and he's the 2nd best player on that team. R.J. Barrett is phenomenal but not nearly the athlete that Zion is. If you haven't yet, watch them sometime and, if you have to, ignore that the jersey says Duke. They are so much fun to watch (but I was glad Gonzaga beat them.)

Last edited by Ghost of Gar Heard; 11-28-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #18
sperry
All-Conference

Quote:
Ok, I hate Duke because they win a lot too. Now I am like you.
I like plenty of programs that win. Huge Nova fan. Loved Billy Donovan's Florida program. I even like Cal and Kentucky.

Coach K is just a huge knob. But can obviously leave it to you to come up with a nonsense contrarian comment that derails the thread.