ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #26
Eielson
Starter

Default Re: Kevin Kruger to UNLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Lol HARD pass
I think he means as an assistant. I can't see him leaving Houston for less than a HC job, though.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #27
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post

Why would UNLV hire him if he’s so bad? You think their 1st year HC are just doing Lon a solid?
Why would OU and Kruger let him leave if he were so valuable?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #28
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
You should. After OU lost Hill and Henson, the on court product has suffered greatly.
Counterpoint: after Sooner greats Hield, Cousins, and Spangler used up their eligibility and Jordan Woodard got hurt, combined with the staff being in transition bc 2 became NCAA D1 head coaches, the on court product suffered greatly.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #29
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Kevin Kruger is 35 years old and has been coaching now for 5 years. Unless you attend practice all the time, you have no reason to doubt that Kevin does a fine job for someone with his coaching experience. There is no doubt he learned a lot growing up as a coaches son, and he also learned a lot from his 6 years playing for various professional teams around the world. I bet Kevin knows basketball as well as much older coaches with much more coaching experience.

I don't see why anyone looks for sinister motives behind his move to UNLV at this point in his career. He is building his résumé. Let's wish him the best of luck and follow his career with interest.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #30
Eielson
Starter

I don't think I've ever said Kevin is a bad coach. What I've said is that he was an underqualified, nepotism hire (which is almost impossible to argue with). I've also said that I don't think our player development has been as good since Henson and Hill left. Those are big shoes to fill, and shoes not entirely filled by him. I'm sure that Kevin is a much better coach now than when we hired him. After all, he has more than doubled his NCAA coaching experience during his time here.

Last edited by Eielson; 04-09-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #31
Swans
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I think he means as an assistant. I can't see him leaving Houston for less than a HC job, though.
Yes. I meant as an assistant to replace Kevin Kruger.
Swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Why would OU and Kruger let him leave if he were so valuable?
Can’t make him stay...

What’s wrong with a job he himself calls “home”
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #33
usedtobe1
Administrator

Quote:
Can’t make him stay...

I think leaving OU looks good on his resume’. Assuming UNLV does good, he will likely get some credit. He just felt it was time to leave the nest.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Why would a mid-major school offer a job to a P5 assistant? Perhaps you're the clueless one.

Hill and Henson took HC gigs, and I would be absolutely shocked if Crutch or Hartman took demotions to be assistants at mid-major schools.
Ok.

If he helps turn UNLV around again... he gets a shot at a HC job.
Comparing hill and Henson to kevin isn’t fair. 2 long term assistants to a 5th year Assistant.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #35
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Why would a mid-major school offer a job to a P5 assistant? Perhaps you're the clueless one.

Hill and Henson took HC gigs, and I would be absolutely shocked if Crutch or Hartman took demotions to be assistants at mid-major schools.
No clue on what he makes. But if UNLV is home.

Why fault him for doing that?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #36
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
Counterpoint: after Sooner greats Hield, Cousins, and Spangler used up their eligibility and Jordan Woodard got hurt, combined with the staff being in transition bc 2 became NCAA D1 head coaches, the on court product suffered greatly.
Goes back to hiring decisions. I think Kruger whiffed on his choices. Just my opinion, not bashing anyone else's. Hartman is still a mystery to me, but hiring your son rarely works out. Teams lose players all the time. Same with assistants. Gotta move on. Kruger has this coming season for me. He has to hit at least a double or triple.
cjhsooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #37
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Goes back to hiring decisions. I think Kruger whiffed on his choices. Just my opinion, not bashing anyone else's. Hartman is still a mystery to me, but hiring your son rarely works out. Teams lose players all the time. Same with assistants. Gotta move on. Kruger has this coming season for me. He has to hit at least a double or triple.
So who would you hire?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #38
schoonerdriver
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Kevin Kruger is 35 years old and has been coaching now for 5 years. Unless you attend practice all the time, you have no reason to doubt that Kevin does a fine job for someone with his coaching experience. There is no doubt he learned a lot growing up as a coaches son, and he also learned a lot from his 6 years playing for various professional teams around the world. I bet Kevin knows basketball as well as much older coaches with much more coaching experience.

I don't see why anyone looks for sinister motives behind his move to UNLV at this point in his career. He is building his résumé. Let's wish him the best of luck and follow his career with interest.
I just watched him during games. Didn't see him with any kind of presence. If his was like that during practice, then he was in way over his head.
schoonerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #39
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Can’t make him stay...

Coach, whether one likes the guy as an assistant is fine, but it was a nepotism hire plain and simple. I know that if I'm hired because of a blood relative, I sure as heck would want to find some way to distinguish myself (ex: Patty Gasso's son; not Sherri Coale's). As fans, we saw nothing in three years which would indicate that. I understand you're closer to the program than most, but don't remember you passing along any info indicating that Kevin has stood out. This is one move that will likely turn out great for both parties, so I can't see why anyone would be too upset.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #40
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Can’t make him stay...

Also, it helps Kevin get out from Lon's shadow and away from concerns about nepotism. It's probably best for both.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #41
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Coach, whether one likes the guy as an assistant is fine, but it was a nepotism hire plain and simple. I know that if I'm hired because of a blood relative, I sure as heck would want to find some way to distinguish myself (ex: Patty Gasso's son; not Sherri Coale's). As fans, we saw nothing in three years which would indicate that. I understand you're closer to the program than most, but don't remember you passing along any info indicating that Kevin has stood out. This is one move that will likely turn out great for both parties, so I can't see why anyone would be too upset.
Im not upset that he is leaving. I think Lon will find a great coach to replace him. Im saying he is/was more than qualified for the position.

We may hire a guy that brings in 8 4 stars, doesnt diminish what Kevin did the last 2 years.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #42
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Also, it helps Kevin get out from Lon's shadow and away from concerns about nepotism. It's probably best for both.
Sure. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Happy for him and hopefully giddy over the next new guy.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #43
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
The only concerns over nepotism are b/c we have the worst record in the Big 12 during Kevin's tenure at OU.

If were were winning more, nobody would give a crap. Never heard nepotism mentioned when Mike Stoops was trotting out excellent defenses in the early 2000's.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #44
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
I just watched him during games. Didn't see him with any kind of presence. If his was like that during practice, then he was in way over his head.
He was the third assistant. How many third assistants do you see doing much during games?

UNLV wanted him because he knows basketball is very well liked and respected in Vegas. He knows the area and the recruiting territory. Notice we signed Hill from Vegas this year. It doesn’t hurt that Lon is revered in Vegas.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #45
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
He was the third assistant. How many third assistants do you see doing much during games?

UNLV wanted him because he knows basketball is very well liked and respected in Vegas. He knows the area and the recruiting territory. Notice we signed Hill from Vegas this year. It doesn’t hurt that Lon is revered in Vegas.
You didn't put it exactly this way, but that is kind of the point. He was hired by UNLV b/c he knows the program, the area, and his name has a good rep in the area b/c of Lon.

Not necessarily b/c he is anything special as a coach.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #46
WTSooner
National Champion

And let's keep in mind, our #1 assistant has been interviewing for jobs and wants to be a HC. There was room for Kevin to move up here.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #47
TINY
All-Conference

Good for both parties imo. Also suggests to me that Lon won’t be extending his tenure beyond his contract.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #48
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:

That's a really good point about the Kruger-Vegas connection.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #49
schoonerdriver
Role Player

Quote:

The Henson, Hill, Crutchfield staff were all active.

I don't know how their responsibilities were broken down but I assume Kevin was responsible for a position and/or a certain aspect of the game. I would expect to see him engaged in those responsibilities. In fact, the most engaged person on the bench isn't even a coach. His the director of basketball ops.
schoonerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #50
cvangild
Role Player

LK needs to hire Rod Thompson as his 3rd assistant now...and sign up his son in next year's class!!!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote