ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #26
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Texas Tech

One has to admire the Red Raiders' success over the past two years, but sometimes things just line up; some groups of players are just special (see: Hield, Cousins, Spangler, Woodard, to name just one such group). If one wishes to look back just two seasons, sure, Tech is ahead of us. But most folks' memories extend further back than 24 months.

I don't what lies ahead for Tech -- perhaps Beard will keep it rolling and manage to reload rather than rebuild. But that remains to be seen; two good seasons don't a career make.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #27
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,709
Default Re: Texas Tech

I think you guys are selling Beard short. I'm not going to go on a deep dive like abd would, but I cannot tell you how impressed I am watching his teams play. He took over a do-nothing program at UALR and they go from 13-18 to 30-5. And now improvement each season at Taco Tech. That is not easy to do. As a matter of fact, it's unprecedented.

I hope we stomp a mudhole in them next year, but I feel like they may set up shop at the top of the standings. Maybe we can finish ahead of Beard's team one of these days.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #28
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Texas Tech

You think about when we went to the final 4. Obvious horrible ending...

the year we lost to UNC, just a horrible matchup and wouldve been in the Natty that year.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #29
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default Re: Texas Tech

Of course he's being sold short. He lost alot last year, then after they lost to whomever in the Elite 8 he looked right into the camera and said that they'd be back next year(this year), with this confident smirk. That caused me to smirk, I was like whatever.. Well.... Hell yes they aren't going anywhere. He's not only a great coach who could can make lemonade, he's improving their recruiting. They play great defense, are tough, and grind offensively and defensively. They have guys that make shots. No, they ain't going anywhere...
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #30
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Texas Tech

If I'm selling him short by taking a wait-and-see attitude, so be it. I didn't predict an immediate downturn for Tech -- I simply said it remains to be seen how it'll go for them going forward, as it does for virtually any team.

There have been rumblings about questionable tactics (I don't pretend to know much about those, either), but let's see if Beard handles success as well as he did the underdog role. Perhaps he and Tech will thrive with a target on their backs and under a brighter spotlight. It's entirely possible, but it remains to be seen.

But by all means, don't let me interrupt the coronation. Have at it.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #31
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default Re: Texas Tech

Skyvue nothing from me was directed at you and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was just trying to make the point that I agree with the opinion that Beard is a great coach and I think he's going to continue to do well. Not a big deal hoss.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #32
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Skyvue nothing from me was directed at you and I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Perhaps contrary to the common wisdom, my feelings are not easily hurt. My dander can be gotten up, as has been demonstrated many times, but my personal feelings aren't generally part of the equation.

I'm just not much for predictions. Perhaps due to lessons learned over many years as a sports fan, I generally take "let's see how it plays out" approach to almost any topic.

I won't give Chris Beard or the Tech basketball team much thought till January, but I'm very eager to see the 2020 edition of our Sooners play.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #33
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,572
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Perhaps contrary to the common wisdom, my feelings are not easily hurt. My dander can be gotten up, as has been demonstrated many times, but my personal feelings aren't generally part of the equation.

I'm just not much for predictions. Perhaps due to lessons learned over many years as a sports fan, I generally take "let's see how it plays out" approach to almost any topic.

I won't give Chris Beard or the Tech basketball team much thought till January, but I'm very eager to see the 2020 edition of our Sooners play.
Me too!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #34
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Texas Tech

What if I told you he bought some players? Any takers?

Shady on the inside.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #35
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
What if I told you he bought some players? Any takers?

Shady on the inside.
So Mr. Insider., which one of those 5-Star players did he buy. Talk is cheap. We want to know,
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #36
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
So Mr. Insider., which one of those 5-Star players did he buy. Talk is cheap. We want to know,
Just conspiracy theory! Gotta buy the 4’s as well. Lol
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #37
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Just conspiracy theory! Gotta buy the 4’s as well. Lol
I have just never before seen nor heard anything relating Beard to any kind of cheating (not that it is even possible to prove innocence if you are, in fact innocent).

I know a young person that works in an administrative position for the Tech basketball program. The "conspiracy theory" you posted above is completely opposite what that young person says, as that acquaintance of mine greatly admires the ethics of the Tech basketball coach, and the way he runs things

So, I was curious if you had actual information, or were just farting in the wind.

Coach, some of us do consider you to be an "insider" in a good way. Is is so easy in today's digital world to "plant a seed" of misinformation, even if you are just joking.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #38
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I have just never before seen nor heard anything relating Beard to any kind of cheating (not that it is even possible to prove innocence if you are, in fact innocent).

I know a young person that works in an administrative position for the Tech basketball program. The "conspiracy theory" you posted above is completely opposite what that young person says, as that acquaintance of mine greatly admires the ethics of the Tech basketball coach, and the way he runs things

So, I was curious if you had actual information, or were just farting in the wind.

Coach, some of us do consider you to be an "insider" in a good way. Is is so easy in today's digital world to "plant a seed" of misinformation, even if you are just joking.
Yeah, I'm not really buying into the idea that Beard is cheating his way to the top. In this era, I'm never really surprised when somebody is caught cheating anymore, but simply having success as a coach isn't a reason to be suspicious. It would be one thing if guys like Smith and Culver were 5-stars being recruited by the blue bloods, but they were 3-stars. This isn't like when Ole Miss football recruiting blew up out of nowhere. Tech's recruiting uptick has been appropriately preceded by on-court success, and even still, they aren't bringing in 5 star players yet.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #39
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Yeah, I'm not really buying into the idea that Beard is cheating his way to the top. In this era, I'm never really surprised when somebody is caught cheating anymore, but simply having success as a coach isn't a reason to be suspicious. It would be one thing if guys like Smith and Culver were 5-stars being recruited by the blue bloods, but they were 3-stars. This isn't like when Ole Miss football recruiting blew up out of nowhere. Tech's recruiting uptick has been appropriately preceded by on-court success, and even still, they aren't bringing in 5 star players yet.
They may not be bringing in the 5-Srars yet, but watch out. I have never been fond of the city of Lubbock, but Texas Tech has a fine college basketball arena. I was last there before the Beard era, in 2016 when the Buddy Hield led OU Final-4 team lost a close one in Lubbock, 65-63. That place holds more than 14,000 and it was packed and it was loud. Tubby Smith had a decent team (19-13; 9-9) but the Tech fans were fanatical and supportive (full arena) even before the Beard era started.

Given Beard's early success on the court, national TV exposure, and an arena packed to the rafters with 14,000-plus loud fans, I will not be surprised to see his recruiting take a big uptick. The recruits he brings in for official visits will see an impressive college basketball environment.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 PM   #40
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,901
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
They may not be bringing in the 5-Srars yet, but watch out. I have never been fond of the city of Lubbock, but Texas Tech has a fine college basketball arena. I was last there before the Beard era, in 2016 when the Buddy Hield led OU Final-4 team lost a close one in Lubbock, 65-63. That place holds more than 14,000 and it was packed and it was loud. Tubby Smith had a decent team (19-13; 9-9) but the Tech fans were fanatical and supportive (full arena) even before the Beard era started.

Given Beard's early success on the court, national TV exposure, and an arena packed to the rafters with 14,000-plus loud fans, I will not be surprised to see his recruiting take a big uptick. The recruits he brings in for official visits will see an impressive college basketball environment.
I hope you're right. I'd like to see Tech with a great program.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #41
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
They may not be bringing in the 5-Srars yet, but watch out. I have never been fond of the city of Lubbock, but Texas Tech has a fine college basketball arena. I was last there before the Beard era, in 2016 when the Buddy Hield led OU Final-4 team lost a close one in Lubbock, 65-63. That place holds more than 14,000 and it was packed and it was loud. Tubby Smith had a decent team (19-13; 9-9) but the Tech fans were fanatical and supportive (full arena) even before the Beard era started.

Given Beard's early success on the court, national TV exposure, and an arena packed to the rafters with 14,000-plus loud fans, I will not be surprised to see his recruiting take a big uptick. The recruits he brings in for official visits will see an impressive college basketball environment.
Oh I agree. Assuming they keep Beard around, it's only a matter of time before they get a 5 star. Their recruiting has already picked up considerably, and it's not losing any steam.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #42
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Texas Tech

In conjunction with this topic, I looked up the 2019 Texas Tech recruiting class according to 247Sports.

TT 2019 Recruiting Class (6 Players)
https://247sports.com/college/texas-...tball/Commits/

Their 2019 class is currently ranked #14 in the country.
Their 2018 class was ranked #33.

I suspect that Beard will also bring in more transfers, but I am not familiar with the scholarships available on their roster.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #43
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player
 
Ghost of Gar Heard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 585
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
In conjunction with this topic, I looked up the 2019 Texas Tech recruiting class according to 247Sports.

TT 2019 Recruiting Class (6 Players)
https://247sports.com/college/texas-...tball/Commits/

Their 2019 class is currently ranked #14 in the country.
Their 2018 class was ranked #33.

I suspect that Beard will also bring in more transfers, but I am not familiar with the scholarships available on their roster.
They're going to lose a lot but maybe Culver is the only one who wasn't expected at the beginning of the year to leave.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #44
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
I have just never before seen nor heard anything relating Beard to any kind of cheating (not that it is even possible to prove innocence if you are, in fact innocent).

I know a young person that works in an administrative position for the Tech basketball program. The "conspiracy theory" you posted above is completely opposite what that young person says, as that acquaintance of mine greatly admires the ethics of the Tech basketball coach, and the way he runs things

So, I was curious if you had actual information, or were just farting in the wind.

Coach, some of us do consider you to be an "insider" in a good way. Is is so easy in today's digital world to "plant a seed" of misinformation, even if you are just joking.
My apologies.

I worked TY camp after he left OU. There was a lot of rumblings that TT, osu and KU offered good money to go there.

Ou, Kentucky did not offer money.

Do I have picture proof of that... I don’t. But the gentlemen that told me
I trust 100%. That was where my caddy comment came from.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #45
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Texas Tech

No worries. I appreciate the response.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #46
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,640
Default Re: Texas Tech

This turned into an interesting thread.....thanks for the read gentlemen.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #47
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player
 
Ghost of Gar Heard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 585
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
My apologies.

I worked TY camp after he left OU. There was a lot of rumblings that TT, osu and KU offered good money to go there.

Ou, Kentucky did not offer money.

Do I have picture proof of that... I don’t. But the gentlemen that told me
I trust 100%. That was where my caddy comment came from.
Here's a question you may or may not have the answer to.

The money...was it from the the school or from shoe companies used by the schools?
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #48
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,618
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
Here's a question you may or may not have the answer to.

The money...was it from the the school or from shoe companies used by the schools?
I dont know that. guessing it was shoe company or private donor.

School surely would not be that dumb!

I know for fact Nike pays kids through shoes. They'll send them limited edition or newest model shoes to their "guys" and then kids turn around and sell them.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #49
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player
 
Ghost of Gar Heard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 585
Default Re: Texas Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I dont know that. guessing it was shoe company or private donor.

School surely would not be that dumb!

I know for fact Nike pays kids through shoes. They'll send them limited edition or newest model shoes to their "guys" and then kids turn around and sell them.
I only asked bc I've known a few who've been recruited by Kentucky and I never got the sense that any of them got a dime from Kentucky. Cal has a reputation for being corrupt and there's definitely something shady about him but I don't see that Kentucky would have to pay any kids anything to go there. I could see shoe companies doing it, particularly with what we've found out recently about shoe companies and other schools.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com