ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
sunny
Walk-on

Default Texas Tech

How in the heck did they get light years ahead of us?
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
CoachTalk
Final Four

Default Re: Texas Tech

What a great post!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
What a great post!
Brought to you by beer.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
What a great post!
Care to answer the question?.....or just be a smartass.

And if you won't.....then I will. They had a great mix of grad transfers and recruiting....and of course Beard found the right mix. I don't know what next year will entail, but Tech is on the map as long as Beard is there.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post

And if you won't.....then I will. They had a great mix of grad transfers and recruiting....and of course Beard found the right mix. I don't know what next year will entail, but Tech is on the map as long as Beard is there.
Beard can coach, that is the difference. He coaches circles around Kruger. They lost 4 starters, and then made this run.

But they also didn't deserve this game. They choked multiple times. Their best player sucked for the most part. But Beard is the best coach in the Big 12, at least the last couple years. And it isn't like they will stop recruiting well.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
opsooner
Final Four

Great coach, found players, and they meshed under their coachís guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #7
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Beard can coach, that is the difference. He coaches circles around Kruger. They lost 4 starters, and then made this run.

But they also didn't deserve this game. They choked multiple times. Their best player sucked for the most part. But Beard is the best coach in the Big 12, at least the last couple years. And it isn't like they will stop recruiting well.
Hard to decide what the dumbest part of this post is, but I'm not even going to bother arguing with a troll.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
What a great post!
What an insufferable person...

"No discussion on this board" - ToolTalk

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
mict085
Role Player

I, for one, am glad tech didnít win.

Now, Iím hoping OU can win one before tech.

Also, hope beard doesnít end up at texas. Thatís all.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I, for one, am glad tech didnít win.

Now, Iím hoping OU can win one before tech.

Also, hope beard doesnít end up at texas. Thatís all.
I'm with you on all counts. Tech fans spewed bile and venom at Baker Mayfield (even wishing for a career-ending injury).....thus, they can wallow in the sand in West Texas and contemplate their pathetic lives.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #11
mict085
Role Player

Also, I would gladly take being the first 1 seed to lose to a 16 if the following year resulted in a national title.

I pray Iím alive when and if OU ever wins a national title in basketball.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #12
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post

Iíll answer. They arenít that far ahead.

Sure natty game, they had a great mixture of vets, stud from Lubbock, transfers, got hot right Time of year.

Because of one or 2 years doesnít turn them into duke UK UNC....

Itís not easy to get there. You guys assume it is. We are just a couple years removed from a final 4.

I think we can get back there in time.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #13
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Iíll answer. They arenít that far ahead.

Sure natty game, they had a great mixture of vets, stud from Lubbock, transfers, got hot right Time of year.

Because of one or 2 years doesnít turn them into duke UK UNC....

Itís not easy to get there. You guys assume it is. We are just a couple years removed from a final 4.

I think we can get back there in time.
I actually agree with you. Like you, I don't think they are "light years" ahead of us by any means. But Tech hit the right mix of recruits and coaching recently.....and thus have made some really good runs the last two years. Beard is going to be a thorn in the side of Big 12 teams until he leaves. In order to counter Tech's rise....OU coaches have to elevate our talent with recruits that match our style and then have leadership within our team that takes an active role in accountability and making sure no one gets a pass when they slack off. If you watched Tech's bench tonight, there was very little (if any) dropoff when the reserves came in. That is the attitude and drive that I'm hoping to see next year.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
soonerdanny
Walk-on

I'm very happy Tech lost.

I hate their fans, but more importantly I couldn't stand the idea of a school with such a weak basketball history compared to OU getting to the mountaintop before us.

I hope their sorry fans hurt from this one for a long, long time. And I know they will because I'm still hurting from 1988.
soonerdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #15
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerdanny View Post
I'm very happy Tech lost.

I hate their fans, but more importantly I couldn't stand the idea of a school with such a weak basketball history compared to OU getting to the mountaintop before us.

I hope their sorry fans hurt from this one for a long, long time. And I know they will because I'm still hurting from 1988.
Thats how it should be.. too many big 12 fans all of the sudden, that only really matters in football where conference prestige is actually relevant

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
Stikboy
All-Conference

I was rooting against Tech the entire tournament not only because of their vile and disgusting fan base, but pretty much because of the lack of class they've shown at every level in their entire athletic existence. I pretty much root against them at all times unless we need them to beat UT(08 football). However, this team that just lost the BBall championship was a complete outlier when it comes to Tech. Classy kids, great coaching, great culture/discipline.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #17
CoachTalk
Final Four

I know it seems they are all class and what not but not many months ago. Crutch or Hartman took a shot at their staff and recruiting practices.

Im slipping a little, was that about Kavon Moore? (who still hasnt recoverd from his major HS injury.)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #18
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
I know it seems they are all class and what not but not many months ago. Crutch or Hartman took a shot at their staff and recruiting practices.

Im slipping a little, was that about Kavon Moore? (who still hasnt recoverd from his major HS injury.)
Yeah you bring up a good point about their recruiting practices, I wondered what Hartman was talking about on signing day. Regarding Moore, didn't one of our insiders come on here and say OU backed off? OU had led for him for quite awhile..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #19
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Yeah you bring up a good point about their recruiting practices, I wondered what Hartman was talking about on signing day. Regarding Moore, didn't one of our insiders come on here and say OU backed off? OU had led for him for quite awhile..
OU did back off moore. I believe I said that.

Maybe it was another recruit. I cant remember exactly what it was about but they were shady about something

Its not like Lon or someone on his staff to say something like that. It mustve been bad.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
Sooner04
All-Conference

Beard is a great coach and a phenomenal team builder. This does not appear to be a fluke. They are miles ahead of us at the moment, and could be for a while. We'll see. Hell, that Little Rock team he had a few years ago was fantastic as well.

Boy, did the Red Raiders get worked by the zebras in OT. Mercy.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #21
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Beard is a great coach and a phenomenal team builder. This does not appear to be a fluke. They are miles ahead of us at the moment, and could be for a while. We'll see. Hell, that Little Rock team he had a few years ago was fantastic as well.

In what way?
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
mict085
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post

I disagree that tech is light years ahead of OU. They had a good run in the tourney and they had 1 good season. Beard can coach and theyíll be successful as long as heís there. Light years ahead? No.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #23
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
I disagree that tech is light years ahead of OU. They had a good run in the tourney and they had 1 good season. Beard can coach and they’ll be successful as long as he’s there. Light years ahead? No.
Correction: They have had more than 1 good season.

Texas Tech Red Raiders Since Chris Beard has been Coach
> 2016–17 ... 18–14 (6–12; T–7th)
> 2017–18 ... 27–10 (11–7; T–2nd) ... NCAA Division I Elite Eight
> 2018–19 ... 31–7 (14–4: T–1st) ....NCAA Division I Runner Up

Chris Beard at Texas Tech ... 76–31 (.710) ... 31–23 (.574)

By comparison:

Lon Kruger at Oklahoma ... 160–105 (.604) ... 72–72 (.500)

Hoping that Oklahoma can finish next season above Texas Tech in the conference standings; in overall record; in NET rankings; in something. Tech loses 4 starters from the their national runner-up team. Tech loses 6 of their top 8 players to graduation or the pros. Given these circumstances, we should expect OU to be better than Tech next season.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #24
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
I disagree that tech is light years ahead of OU. They had a good run in the tourney and they had 1 good season. Beard can coach and theyíll be successful as long as heís there. Light years ahead? No.
Tech isn't light years ahead of us yet. I think it will take a few more years of sustained success and for that they will have to be able to keep Beard. I think Beard likes it in Lubbock but what if Texas comes calling? Or a bigger name like Ohio State, NC State, or Indiana?

If we continue rolling out seasons like the last 3 and they continue rolling out seasons like the last 2, then they will pass us but it will take some time.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #25
sdcloud9
Starter

Tech had a great year and Beard does a great job but it's not sustainable.

Culver was a 3-star player that blossomed into a lottery pick. They had a Florida transfer, two grad transfers, etc. and found the right chemistry.

That is not a recipe for long term success. They'll still be good but this was a lot like OU's run with Buddy.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote