ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #51
WichitaSooner
Starter

Default Re: UCLA/Kruger rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Just curious. Would Shocker fans be sorry to see him go? Are they tired of the insanity factor?
They absolutely love him and his family. It's like a cult, they feed off his insecure, thin-skinned mentality. Don't get me wrong, he is a good coach and has been great for their program. He just is so narcissistic. You know how Lon basically refuses to talk about himself or use the word 'I' even when asked a question about him? Marshall is the polar opposite, he makes everything about himself and his family. I know some people who have dealt with him and they definitely don't like him, but as a whole, the fan base thinks he is a legend.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #52
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Turn on your sarcasm meter.....of course I would watch. But MA would be far from my first choice. I mean...c'mon, he can't even win at Arkansas....which has played in an easier conference (by and large) than the Big 12 over his tenure. I just don't see what would make people think that he would come here and be a winner.
In his defense, he did well at UAB and Mizzou. Then he laid an egg at Arkansas. We could do worse, but we could also do much better.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #53
thegreyghost
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Turn on your sarcasm meter.....of course I would watch. But MA would be far from my first choice. I mean...c'mon, he can't even win at Arkansas....which has played in an easier conference (by and large) than the Big 12 over his tenure. I just don't see what would make people think that he would come here and be a winner.
It must be all those teams lining up to get him, Im surprised he is still available with his name mentioned for so many job openings
thegreyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #54
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

NM
Old 04-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #55
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
They absolutely love him and his family. It's like a cult, they feed off his insecure, thin-skinned mentality. Don't get me wrong, he is a good coach and has been great for their program. He just is so narcissistic. You know how Lon basically refuses to talk about himself or use the word 'I' even when asked a question about him? Marshall is the polar opposite, he makes everything about himself and his family. I know some people who have dealt with him and they definitely don't like him, but as a whole, the fan base thinks he is a legend.
Thanks for the insight. Fans are interesting tribes. Bringing success that was missing before has its benefits.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #56
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Fans are interesting tribes. Bringing success that was missing before has its benefits.
Yeah and I think he is an example of a guy who is a fit for the personality of the fan base. They live and die for WSU hoops and they always feel like little brother compared to KU, and he plays into that.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:22 AM   #57
WaymanFan
Administrator

I like Bigabd as a poster because no one's posts / threads result in debates more often than his. That said, such debates work better when the debate is in a range of 50/50 - 80/20. When I first read the Mike Anderson comments, I was thinking more 95/5...so step up your game, abd :-). For the record, I'm on the side of 95. I'm not interested in any coach who could not succeed over an 8-year period at a school with a similar tradition history as OU.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #58
WTSooner
National Champion

Sounds like this was just a rumor at this point. Or maybe that UCLA had some interest.

I really wouldn't have thought it likely that Lon was interested though. First, it took everything Joe C. had to get Lon to OU. I firmly believe this will be his last job. Second, can you see Lon living the LA lifestyle, especially at this age? Doubt he wants any part of that. If Lon was younger, this type of move at this point would be exactly Lon's M.O., but I'm just not seeing it.

And from my perspective, while this would have been a good way for OU to move on from Lon, it's a bit late in the game this season to be making a coaching move. Most of the obvious good coaches who were going to move, have done so. Don't see a ton of options right now that stand out to me.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #59
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Sounds like this was just a rumor at this point. Or maybe that UCLA had some interest.

I really wouldn't have thought it likely that Lon was interested though. First, it took everything Joe C. had to get Lon to OU. I firmly believe this will be his last job. Second, can you see Lon living the LA lifestyle, especially at this age? Doubt he wants any part of that. If Lon was younger, this type of move at this point would be exactly Lon's M.O., but I'm just not seeing it.

And from my perspective, while this would have been a good way for OU to move on from Lon, it's a bit late in the game this season to be making a coaching move. Most of the obvious good coaches who were going to move, have done so. Don't see a ton of options right now that stand out to me.
Where did you read that this is no longer being considered? Source?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:31 AM   #60
thebigabd
National Champion

You guys are funny....

Give me some realistic names then... The last few times this job opened up did a single big name coach interview?
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 AM   #61
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
You guys are funny....

Give me some realistic names then... The last few times this job opened up did a single big name coach interview?
Ou wonít get a big name because our program is not supported by its fans at an elite level. That means we will have to get someone from a smaller school or an up and coming assistant. It does not mean we should hire a guy who got fired from his job this season at a very similar program.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 AM   #62
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Where did you read that this is no longer being considered? Source?
The tweet from Jake Trotter quoting Kruger? It at least confirms (don't think LK would deny interviewing if true, and don't think he would interview if it weren't nearly a done deal either) that he hasn't interviewed.

Lon Kruger isn't moving to Los Angeles at this point in his life. He's just not.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 AM   #63
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
You guys are funny....

That really isn't apples to apples.

Capel was a HOT young coach, and we got him.

When we hired Kruger, we needed a veteran coach who could clean up Capel's mess. Joe C. went after Kruger, and only Kruger, for that spot.

I said earlier this is a bad time of the year to be hunting a coach b/c most of the good ones have already made their move. But it's also a moot point, b/c I REALLY don't see Kruger taking a job in LA at this point in his career. Makes little sense.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #64
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

It seems pretty clear that the UCLA/Kruger story was just another example of the fake news that is so commonplace. The dude from the LA Times may or may not "have heard" about it, but he was likely drinking Jameson at a LA bar when he (thought?) he heard it. There is no evidence that "reporters" even try to corroborate anything prior to reporting it. There is no evidence that those that make poor and inaccurate reports are ever held accountable within their profession.

Journalism. What a profession. Earn a living by just making stuff up; or report the crap that others just make up. Also called gossip.

My guess is that it has always been this way. When I was a kid I remember the old saying: Don't believe what you read in the papers. Who knows how old that saying is. Old sayings are usually based on fact.

So, when I (or anybody) else posts a link, keep that old saying in mind.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #65
Hollisp
Role Player

Quote:
Why are you yelling at the clouds!?
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #66
AdaSooner
Administrator

Kruger denies UCLA rumor: https://newsok.com/article/5628101/o...g-for-ucla-job

The real story is all over the Internet. Lon ain’t going anywhere! According to the reports Rick Barnes is the #1 candidate for the Bruin’s job.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #67
vbdad
Role Player

He isn’t going to UCLA.

No chance Joe C would hire Marshall. Those egos aren’t compatible.

I’ll start the fake news rumor. Billy Donovan to UCLA. I’m sure they won’t pay enough to get him but a great fit. I don’t think the Thunder fires him either.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #68
One More Rebound
Starter

Too bad Buzz Williams has already relocated again.
One More Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #69
thebigabd
National Champion

Then of course if Barnes goes to UCLA, does the rumor start with Lon going to Tennessee?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #70
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Then of course if Barnes goes to UCLA, does the rumor start with Lon going to Tennessee?
Lon basically said when he took the OU job that it was his last one. Tenn is probably more attractive than UCLA to Lon (guessing), but I can't imagine he wants to start over anywhere else at this point. He's close to "home", his son is on his staff, and expectations are reasonably low at OU (make the Dance, essentially, for the casual fan). I just don't see him moving on.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #71
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
He isnít going to UCLA.

No chance Joe C would hire Marshall. Those egos arenít compatible.

Iíll start the fake news rumor. Billy Donovan to UCLA. Iím sure they wonít pay enough to get him but a great fit. I donít think the Thunder fires him either.
Yeah, that made no sense to me either. Even if Marshall was the ideal candidate, why would anyone in their right mind want his foul mouthed, nutcase wife around?

I, for one, want Lon to be our coach next year.. Iím anxious to see what he can do with what will likely be our best team since the FF season.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #72
NAIA All-Star
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
He isnít going to UCLA.

No chance Joe C would hire Marshall. Those egos arenít compatible.

Iíll start the fake news rumor. Billy Donovan to UCLA. Iím sure they wonít pay enough to get him but a great fit. I donít think the Thunder fires him either.
If the Thunder fire him, that would be a great hire for UCLA. Donovan can win there IMO.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #73
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Its really funny that you guys think OU is too good for Mike Anderson. OU has the worst record in the Big 12 during Lon's tenure. Anderson has never had a losing season in 17 years as a head coach.

He knows the area... he recruits it... He has a system... He played under Nolan Richardson at the University of Tulsa. He isn't some assistant with no experience.

He brought Mizzou back from the dead... his biggest mistake was going to Arkansas after doing so well at Mizzou. He couldn't help it though, he tried to rekindle the Nolan magic.

OU isn't going to be great with some up-and-coming assistant. They need someone who fits at OU.
don't take offense, but have you ever heard MA talk? I mean just talk...communicate. I was at a HS coach's clinic and he was one of the guest speakers...had a real hard time understanding him..in everything. Path, word annunciation, appropriate language (LOL)...

Not sure he'd "fit in" with the atmosphere...just sayin.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #74
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
It seems pretty clear that the UCLA/Kruger story was just another example of the fake news that is so commonplace. The dude from the LA Times may or may not "have heard" about it, but he was likely drinking Jameson at a LA bar when he (thought?) he heard it. There is no evidence that "reporters" even try to corroborate anything prior to reporting it. There is no evidence that those that make poor and inaccurate reports are ever held accountable within their profession.

Journalism. What a profession. Earn a living by just making stuff up; or report the crap that others just make up. Also called gossip.

My guess is that it has always been this way. When I was a kid I remember the old saying: Don't believe what you read in the papers. Who knows how old that saying is. Old sayings are usually based on fact.

Sorry but the "fake news" thing is a bunch of bunk.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #75
ellissooner
Walk-on

Quote:
This is actually vintage Lon... take over a train wreck, get them back to "pretty good", then move on again.

There are good coaches available to OU this year.

OU is a unique program. It doesn't need some high profile coach. It needs a guy who can win at OU. It doesn't need some hot shot assistant. It needs a guy who can recruit the region effectively, who runs a system, who plays tough basketball, etc.

I honestly believe Doc Sadler would win at OU... I know for darn sure Mike Anderson would.

To me... its not about the name. Its about a guy who fits at OU.
Mike Anderson couldn't win at Arkansas. Do not want him. Nice assistant but OU can do better.
ellissooner is offline   Reply With Quote