ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 04-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Default Eddie Sutton denied HOF again

Quote:
Together for what was expected to be a good-news phone call, members of the Sutton family were stunned by a bad-news message Tuesday morning.

Contacted by a representative of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton was told he did not receive enough votes to be included in the hall’s class of 2019.

A source close to the Suttons indicated family members are “stunned” and had been “very confident” Sutton finally would be voted into the Naismith Hall of Fame.

The Suttons were so confident, in fact, arrangements were being made to transport Eddie Sutton to Minneapolis — the site of this weekend’s Final Four. The Naismith class of 2019 is announced at the Final Four on Saturday.
Link
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Default Re: Eddie Sutton denied HOF again

Wow!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
BCSooners
All-Conference

He should definitely be in
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
WaymanFan
Administrator

I guess he’s college basketball’s version of Pete Rose. Ironically, the highlight of both their scandals was in 1989. The respective HOF Committees have made their point on both - no gambling / no cheating. Message sent loud and clear. However, it’s time to get these guys in based on their on-the-court (field) credentials.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
SuperHoops
Role Player

What's funny is that the NCAA absolved Eddie of any wrongdoing in the UK scandal but the HOF still holds it against him. Or maybe its the drunk driving issue.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Who gets to vote on the HOF?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Zimwillett
Role Player

At this point it just seems spiteful.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimwillett View Post
this. exactly.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimwillett View Post
I agree.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

In case you were curious ...

List of Hall of Famers:
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/all/

Bruce Drake is in:
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/bruce-drake

No More, Mr. Nice Guy:
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/bob-knight

Is a Grand Jury Subpoena Pending?
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/bill-self
Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
sdcloud9
Starter

Sad that he's not in....I'm no Cowboy but that is ridiculous.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
sooner8693
Walk-on

At least he is one aggie coach that didn't lose the gold medal to the Russians.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
At least he is one aggie coach that didn't lose the gold medal to the Russians.
Ouch...that one had more to do with “corruption” than Coach Iba. Russia got to experience their karma just 8 short years later (though that one was fair and square).

If OU fans are in agreement that Eddie Sutton should be in the HOF, I can’t imagine too many basketball fans outside Lexington, KY who would disagree.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
WTSooner
National Champion

Buncha cowpoke sympathizers in here.

Dude cheated at UK. He drove drunk and could have killed somebody, and covered it up at OSU. He pissed on the wall at some elementary school. He enabled his son to be abuse prescription pain pills. And most importantly, it has been STRONGLY suggested that he played a part in turning Kelvin in to the NCAA initially, all while doing shady things himself.

Dude can go jump in a lake for all I care.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
WichitaSooner
Starter

Believe it or not, I pretty much agree with WT here. I think Eddie gets a lot more sympathy and support because of his age and health. If he were 20 years younger with the exact same resume, good and bad, I think more people would say that his cheating and off court issues should keep him out. It has always struck me how there are a lot of analysts who still take shots at Kelvin and hold his much less significant violations against him, but are seemingly pro-Sutton. I'm all for forgiving the guy, but putting him in the Hall seems a bit much.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #16
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Ouch...that one had more to do with “corruption” than Coach Iba. Russia got to experience their karma just 8 short years later (though that one was fair and square).

If OU fans are in agreement that Eddie Sutton should be in the HOF, I can’t imagine too many basketball fans outside Lexington, KY who would disagree.
I know, it was maybe the biggest SCREW job in the history of sports. But, it is still funny as hell to throw that in aggies faces. They just don't know what to say.

Last edited by WaymanFan; 04-03-2019 at 03:43 AM. Reason: I think you know why one part of this was deleted.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

Dude cheated at UK. He drove drunk and could have killed somebody, and covered it up at OSU. He pissed on the wall at some elementary school. He enabled his son to be abuse prescription pain pills. And most importantly, it has been STRONGLY suggested that he played a part in turning Kelvin in to the NCAA initially, all while doing shady things himself.

Are the rest of them as pure as the driven snow? If the racist Rupp and holier than thou Knight deserve to be there, I don't have a problem with Sutton being there.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Are the rest of them as pure as the driven snow? If the racist Rupp and holier than thou Knight deserve to be there, I don't have a problem with Sutton being there.
Exactly! I couldn’t have stated it any better.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #19
mict085
Role Player

The HOF should only consider contributions to the sport. It should only matter what he did on the court.

Eddie Sutton did cheat at Kentucky but what he did was peanuts compared to what Calipari, Roy Williams, Coach K, bill self are currently doing and they’ll all be first ballot HOFers.

Eddie Sutton should be indicted into HOF based on his accomplishments. Denying him is hypocrisy when you let all the other degenerates in.

It’s petty and spiteful.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #20
brsooner
Walk-on

Thumbs up Re: Eddie Sutton denied HOF again

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

Spot on, Eddie's the Otis of college coaches.
brsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
Sooner04
All-Conference

I know how this thread will end.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #22
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:

disagree did they get screwed? yes did his coaching style also cause a team that should have blown teams out to play a close game a lose absolutly 100%
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

I promise I have Sooner basketball content to share today as well, but as long I visited this thread...

Bill Haisten follows up with the HOF decision...

Quote:
On five previous occasions when Eddie Sutton had been a Naismith finalist, the answer was no. When it was announced a few weeks ago that the former Oklahoma State coach again was a finalist, it just made no sense that he would be denied a sixth time.

There are eight NCAA Division I men’s college basketball coaches with a career total of at least 800 wins. Having retired with 806, Sutton is the only one of the eight who is not a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

How cold-blooded would that be — to position an 83-year-old man for another emotional setback?

From an unidentified panel of 24 voters, a finalist must receive at least 18 votes. Accountability is not required of the voters.

Transparency? None. It isn’t known whether Sutton got one vote or five votes or 10 or 17.

I believed that the voters would realize how petty and wrong it had been to keep him out, and that it’s time to make things right for a coach who turned 83 a few weeks ago.

I stand corrected, and I’m reminded of a sentence from a Tulsa World column in early March: “If it doesn’t happen — if the Naismith voters again say no to Sutton — it qualifies as pointless cruelty.”
Our cartoonist Bruce Plante had a take on the decision as well.

Last edited by TulsaWorld; 04-03-2019 at 07:36 AM.
TulsaWorld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #24
Zimwillett
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Believe it or not, I pretty much agree with WT here. I think Eddie gets a lot more sympathy and support because of his age and health. If he were 20 years younger with the exact same resume, good and bad, I think more people would say that his cheating and off court issues should keep him out. It has always struck me how there are a lot of analysts who still take shots at Kelvin and hold his much less significant violations against him, but are seemingly pro-Sutton. I'm all for forgiving the guy, but putting him in the Hall seems a bit much.
I freely admit my sympathies toward Eddie are health and age related. So what?

As for Eddie's past, it is all but an open secret that John Wooden's success was fueled by one of the most extensive and brazen cheating scandals in the history of college sports. It lasted years. The evidence is pretty strong that Wooden likely knew about the shady stuff Sam Gilbert was doing. At a minimum, he definitely should have known. Gilbert was buying UCLA players cars, clothes, airline tickets, giving them cash, etc. Despite all of that there's no debate about Wooden's Hall of Fame induction. He's revered. Awards are named after him.

So yeah. In this context, I'm all for giving an old man his due.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #25
ellissooner
Walk-on

Quote:
I guess he’s college basketball’s version of Pete Rose. Ironically, the highlight of both their scandals was in 1989. The respective HOF Committees have made their point on both - no gambling / no cheating. Message sent loud and clear. However, it’s time to get these guys in based on their on-the-court (field) credentials.
Then why is Calipari and Pitino in and What about Kentucky's legendary coach Rupp. Wasnt there some point shaving scandal under his watch plus his racist views. His cheating was not any worse than the above.
ellissooner is offline   Reply With Quote