ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #51
Zimwillett
Role Player

Default Re: Cam Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
1.) Kansas
2.) WVU
3.) Baylor
4.) Texas Tech
5.) Oklahoma State
6.) Okahoma
7.) ISU
8.) Kansas State
9.) UT
10.) TCU

6-10 is basically a log jam.

That is my early prediction... Many of these teams aren't done recruiting yet. In a league that is always a blood bath, a big transfer here or there can be the difference between 8th and 4th... But as it stands today, that is my prediction.
I honestly can't argue with that. Not because I think it's accurate, but because there is just so much unknown. We have no idea what the Big 12's rosters will look like (this thread was originally about a transfer). I also think there's a very real chance that there could be major coaching changes. Chris Beard is going to be highly sought after. Jamie Dixon is thought to be a real candidate for UCLA. Does Texas move on from Smart? And biggest of all, there have been rumors (not vouching for their validity) that Bill Self could be going to the NBA as NCAA sanctions are at his doorstep.

As for OU, I think they have an extremely wide range of potential outcomes. I think both first and last are pretty unlikely, but I could make an argument for basically anything in between. Because so much depends on unknown young players, I think middle-of-the=pack is a safe bet, but it would not surprise me if they wound up much better or much worse.

Last edited by Zimwillett; 03-29-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #52
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimwillett View Post
I honestly can't argue with that. Not because I think it's accurate, but because there is just so much unknown. We have no idea what the Big 12's rosters will look like (this thread was originally about a transfer). I also think there's a very real chance that there could be major coaching changes. Chris Beard is going to be highly sought after. Jamie Dixon is thought to be a real candidate for UCLA. Does Texas move on from Smart? And biggest of all, there have been rumors (not vouching for their validity) that Bill Self could be going to the NBA as NCAA sanctions are at his doorstep.

As for OU, I think they have an extremely wide range of potential outcomes. I think both first and last are pretty unlikely, but I could make an argument for basically anything in between. Because so much depends on unknown young players, I think middle-of-the=pack is a safe bet, but it would not surprise me if they wound up much better or much worse.
I think most of us can agree on a couple of things going into next year:

Barring any major injuries or defections, Tech is going to continue to be good as long as Beard is their coach.
  • KSU will finish in the bottom half simply because of graduation (experience, leadership, etc.).
  • WV will not finish last in the conference this upcoming year.
  • If Lawson leaves early, then KU won't win the Big 12 next year either.
  • There is a 50/50 chance that ISU loses their four best players off of this years team (Shayok and Weiller-Babb graduate and possibly one of Wigginton/Horton-Tucker go pro). If this ends up being the case, then they likely finish in the bottom half.
  • OSU will finish better than 9th in the league. How much better?.....I have no idea.
  • OU will finish better than 7th in the league. How much better?......I have no idea.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #53
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Yes, Tech is likely to continue to be good as long as Beard is their coach.

Talk about exceeding expectations, Tech was picked to finish 7th in the Big-12 in the preseason coaches poll.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...CLID=211776387
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #54
WichitaSooner
Starter

I think Tech's future is linked directly to Beard. They will be good as long as he is there. If/when he leaves, who knows.

Losing Lawson would obviously not help KU, but they won 14 in a row before he showed up, so it's wrong to say they can't/won't win it if he leaves. Dotson is going to be great and I'm sure they will add some blue chips to their incoming class.

Beyond that, still way too early to predict anything. The transfer portal still has to work its magic lol.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #55
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Tech loses a lot this season. Culver is going to the NBA. Mooney exhausts his eligibility & so domliterally all their bigs. They've got Moretti returning & a pretty good recruiting class coming in but there's going to be a step back.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #56
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
Lamont West is transferring from WVU
A WVU employee told our guys to take a picture of the team because most of them would be gone next year.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #57
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Horton-Tucker going pro.....according to ESPN.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #58
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
https://www.amestrib.com/sports/2019...-for-nba-draft

Quote:
"After speaking with my family and coaching staff at Iowa State, I believe that this is in my best interest to begin the next chapter of my life and declare for the 2019 NBA Draft,Ē Horton-Tucker said in a statement released on social media.

Messages to Horton-Tucker and ISU coach Steve Prohm were not immediately returned.

Horton-Tucker, a top-50 recruit in 2018, rocketed up draft boards in his freshman season with NBA teams coveting the versatility of the 6-foot-4, 238-pound guard with a wingspan over 7 feet and who only turned 18 in November.

He averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game while shooting 40.6 percent from the field and 30.8 percent from 3-point range, and has been projected as a late first-round draft pick by multiple draft experts.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #59
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
Tech loses a lot this season. Culver is going to the NBA. Mooney exhausts his eligibility & so domliterally all their bigs. They've got Moretti returning & a pretty good recruiting class coming in but there's going to be a step back.
They were supposed to have taken a step back this year being picked 7th in the conference after losing a bunch of seniors from an Elite Eight team. If Beard stays, they'll remain in the running almost every year until he leaves. That is one well-coached team.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #60
MsProudSooner
National Champion

I wonder how the ISU fans feel about "The Mayor" going to NU.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #61
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerTraveler View Post
Now, they've lost 4 of their top 5 guys. If Wigginton were to go pro, that would be 5 of their top 6 (Haliburton and Jacobsen would be the only guys left with substantial experience). They now have a serious rebuilding project going on in Ames.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #62
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

Quote:
Now, they've lost 4 of their top 5 guys. If Wigginton were to go pro, that would be 5 of their top 6 (Haliburton and Jacobsen would be the only guys left with substantial experience). They now have a serious rebuilding project going on in Ames.
This being the case, should we expect Oklahoma to finishing above ISU in the 2020 Big-12 conference standings? I would think so.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #63
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Good wishes to the young man. He must want to see the world because the NBA isn't calling him this year.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #64
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Good wishes to the young man. He must want to see the world because the NBA isn't calling him this year.
Projected late 1st round
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #65
BCSooners
All-Conference

Konate from WVU declared today.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #66
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
I agree with you but I have seen a couple mock drafts with him in the late first round.
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #67
vbdad
Role Player

I’d be shocked but who knows. We’ve certainly seen guys drafted late in the first round who aren’t going to be NBA players
Old 04-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #68
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
ISU also loses Mayok & could have any of Horton-Tucker, Halliburton, & Wigginton turn pro.
Wigginton going pro with an agent....

Poor Iowa state...
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #69
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Wigginton going pro with an agent....

Poor Iowa state...
He tested the waters last year. Halliburton is thought of as a better prospect than Wigginton.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #70
thewez
Walk-on

KJ Lawson at KU in the portal. Iím guessing that means Dedric is going pro...
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #71
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
KJ Lawson at KU in the portal. Iím guessing that means Dedric is going pro...
Yeah I can't imagine KJ would leave KU if his brother was coming back. Will be interesting to see who else they end up signing.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #72
Eielson
Starter

Why do the two events have to go together? I imagine KJ wants to play more regardless of whether or not Dedric is there.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #73
BCSooners
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Why do the two events have to go together? I imagine KJ wants to play more regardless of whether or not Dedric is there.
They've been a package deal wherever they've been. Also Dedric's stock isn't getting any higher.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #74
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Becasue younger 4 star brother didnt sign with KU. Go read every KU "expert" take. He is gone. Brohter is gone to NBA.

Yes its reading between the lines but they arent blurry.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #75
WichitaSooner
Starter

As expected, Dedric announced that he is entering the draft. I heard on a local sports report last night that many people think it is a foregone conclusion that Grimes will, too. They didn't cite any sources, so I am not completely convinced about that, but if he does, that would hurt KU because even though he didn't play as well as expected this season, he would certainly be a big piece of their team next year if he returns.