ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #26
mict085
Role Player

Default Re: Cam Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Context... Texas always brings in talent and Shaka has always sucked. Maybe they will be good this year... but if you give Huggins Culver, Konate, and Tshiebwe... with their system and coaching... It's going to be an insane front-court.

Any time you sign a guy who is thought to be the best at something in the country in a major category, that is a coup.... The best rebounder, the best shooter, the best athlete, etc in the country... There are only 5-7 guys like that. The best passer, shooter, rebounder, defender, etc. WVU has one.
I think you’re vastly overstating both osu and wvu. They’ll be better next year but so will OU. kansas will be kansas. KU and tech will be battling for #1. OU, osu, baylor, wvu, KSU, ISU, will be battling for 3-8.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #27
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Any time you sign a guy who is thought to be the best at something in the country in a major category, that is a coup.... The best rebounder, the best shooter, the best athlete, etc in the country... There are only 5-7 guys like that. The best passer, shooter, rebounder, defender, etc. WVU has one.
He's regarded as the #22 basketball player. That's great. No need to try to twist things around to make him sound like he's top 5.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #28
stormspencer
Sweet 16

I want to know where some are getting the idea that Konate will be back? He essentially sat out most of this season to heal and get ready for the draft....at least that was purported to be the case from his family.

Maybe I missed something in the last several weeks?
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #29
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
This probably isn't a good conversation. You guys don't want to hear much other than... "OU is going to be super awesome", and then pretend like nobody else will get better. This WVU thing blows my mind....
You got me...I'm a sunshine pumper.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:56 PM   #30
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
I want to know where some are getting the idea that Konate will be back? He essentially sat out most of this season to heal and get ready for the draft....at least that was purported to be the case from his family.

I haven't reviewed all of the mock drafts, but he doesn't seem like a likely 1st rounder, and certainly not a top 20ish type pick, right now.

Maybe he works out and works himself into that kind of draft position, or he could come back to school and earn a better draft position that way.

I have no idea, just pointing out that if he leaves now, I he's not even assured to make a roster based on where he is being projected.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #31
Price is Right
Walk-on

Quote:
This probably isn't a good conversation. You guys don't want to hear much other than... "OU is going to be super awesome", and then pretend like nobody else will get better. This WVU thing blows my mind....

If Konate comes back I could certainly see them back at the top next year. If not I think closer to middle of the pack. He's big time
Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #32
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
OSU better than us? Ouch.
He loves him some OSU.

If OSU is better than OU, things went terribly wrong in Norman. The Pokes will be battling to stay out of the cellar again.

They've got McGriff, who's pretty good, & Lindy Waters is fine. They've got a couple good players coming in but the bottom line is that OU's returnees are better, our newcomers are better, & we've got Reaves as well.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #33
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Boynton was a better coach this season than Kruger was. No way this OSU teams should have won a game in the Big 12, let alone lead OU at one point by 20. OU may have talent coming in, but Kruger will need to improve in order to maximize it. OSU has a lot of youth on their team, and they got better throughout the season. Not saying they are better than OU, but it isn't crazy to think that.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #34
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post

My premise was "as it stands NOW"...which as far as I know I havent heard he's gone..
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 PM   #35
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Boynton was a better coach this season than Kruger was. No way this OSU teams should have won a game in the Big 12, let alone lead OU at one point by 20. OU may have talent coming in, but Kruger will need to improve in order to maximize it. OSU has a lot of youth on their team, and they got better throughout the season. Not saying they are better than OU, but it isn't crazy to think that.
Last year, absolutely. This year? No way.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #36
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Huh?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #37
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Wrong. Kruger and the staff maxed out this team this year.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:00 AM   #38
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Wrong. Kruger and the staff maxed out this team this year.
I think beating Kansas and Ole Miss how we did, and hanging with UVA kind of suggests the opposite.

This team had no business losing two games to WVU this year.

They also should have been able to win a least a couple of the home games they lost (KSU, ISU, TT, Baylor).

Should have at least been a .500 team in conference. Do that, and beat WVU in the Big 12 Tourney, there is at least another 3 wins.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 AM   #39
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I think beating Kansas and Ole Miss how we did, and hanging with UVA kind of suggests the opposite.

They also should have been able to win a least a couple of the home games they lost (KSU, ISU, TT, Baylor).

Should have at least been a .500 team in conference. Do that, and beat WVU in the Big 12 Tourney, there is at least another 3 wins.
In other words, two outstanding wins show that he did a poor job. Perfectly in line with your world view.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #40
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
He loves him some OSU.

If OSU is better than OU, things went terribly wrong in Norman. The Pokes will be battling to stay out of the cellar again.

They've got McGriff, who's pretty good, & Lindy Waters is fine. They've got a couple good players coming in but the bottom line is that OU's returnees are better, our newcomers are better, & we've got Reaves as well.
I don't love OSU.

You don't like Likekele? 6'4'' 210 point guard... Started 32 games as a true freshman. 2nd in the Big 12 in assists, leading returning assist man. Averaged 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists per game.

You don't like Yor Anei? 6'10'' 225 center.. Started all games as a true freshman. #1 shot blocker in the Big 12? Shoots 61% from the field.

You dont like Thomas Dziagwa? Averaged 12 points and 3 rebounds per game. #1 3pt shooter in the Big 12. Hit 105 3's.. OU's best 3pt shooter hit 69 3's this year (in more games) to put that in perspective. And Dziagwa hits 43% of them on all those attempts.

It's interesting to me that you think OU's returnees are so much better... McGriff and Doolittle are similar players, who put up similar numbers... Anei is the #1 shot blocker and was only 18 years old last year... Likekele is the leading returning assist man.... Dziagwa is the best shooter in the league.

These two short videos do a good job showing how fast Dziagwa shoots, and how good Likekele is as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GT1t_NYzPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HleOf2ko-dw&t=1s

Likekle and Harmon is going to be a battle for 3 years...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #41
Big Old Booger
Final Four

WV has been the better program in the Big 12 (overall) since they joined the conference and have been the 2nd best in the conference. They beat us twice and we have a lot of new guys coming with no clue how long it will take them to adjust to the Big 12 game. It's not a stretch to say WV will finish in the top 3 of the conference.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #42
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
I don't love OSU.

You don't like Likekele? 6'4'' 210 point guard... Started 32 games as a true freshman. 2nd in the Big 12 in assists, leading returning assist man. Averaged 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists per game.

You don't like Yor Anei? 6'10'' 225 center.. Started all games as a true freshman. #1 shot blocker in the Big 12? Shoots 61% from the field.

You dont like Thomas Dziagwa? Averaged 12 points and 3 rebounds per game. #1 3pt shooter in the Big 12. Hit 105 3's.. OU's best 3pt shooter hit 69 3's this year (in more games) to put that in perspective. And Dziagwa hits 43% of them on all those attempts.

It's interesting to me that you think OU's returnees are so much better... McGriff and Doolittle are similar players, who put up similar numbers... Anei is the #1 shot blocker and was only 18 years old last year... Likekele is the leading returning assist man.... Dziagwa is the best shooter in the league.

These two short videos do a good job showing how fast Dziagwa shoots, and how good Likekele is as well.

I know very little about OSU but as bad as we have been in the conference the last 3 years I don't think it's far fetched to say any team will finish ahead of us in the conference. We will have a very young team with the same issues at the 4/5 as this past year (mainly the 5). Not to mention we are hanging our hopes on a true freshman. We have no idea how he will play vs big 12 talent so some of you probably should temper your expectations.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Old 03-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #43
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
I don't love OSU.

I like their team. I dont feel they are better than us. Boyton is a heck of coach and recruiter.

Good chance of adding Chris Harris Jr very soon. 3/4 other 4 stars.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #44
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Hmmm...

Quote:
Does the fact that they were able to beat us twice suggest that WVU should have been a Sweet 16 team? Just trying to follow the logic.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #45
WichitaSooner
Starter

It's amazing how much emphasis people place on one or two games in a 30-game season. Yep, West Virginia happened to win 2 of 3 from us this year. To suggest that has any relevance in assessing next year seems a stretch. OSU beat us 2 of 3 last year, we lost the best player in the conference to the draft, and turned around and had a far better season than they did this year. But I guess if we are going to go off small sample sizes and the most recent results, we should at least feel great about our odds of finishing ahead of KU, next season since we destroyed them in our last head-to-head matchup.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #46
JBaker
Elite Eight

Quote:
Now that Tech is actually good (after he gave up on them ever being good) OSU is his new Tech.
JBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #47
thewez
Walk-on

Lamont West is transferring from WVU
thewez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:32 AM   #48
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewez View Post
Lamont West is transferring from WVU
Well, that probably drops them down to 29-2 or 30-1 rather than 31-0. Kidding aside, another example of why predictions about next season are nothing more than blind guesses till we get through draft and transfer decisions.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #49
Big Old Booger
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
It's amazing how much emphasis people place on one or two games in a 30-game season. Yep, West Virginia happened to win 2 of 3 from us this year. To suggest that has any relevance in assessing next year seems a stretch. OSU beat us 2 of 3 last year, we lost the best player in the conference to the draft, and turned around and had a far better season than they did this year. But I guess if we are going to go off small sample sizes and the most recent results, we should at least feel great about our odds of finishing ahead of KU, next season since we destroyed them in our last head-to-head matchup.
WVU has been better than OSU every year and we all know Huggy Bear can coach. Plus, they run a system that is hard to adjust especially with young guards. Remember how they harrassed our guards when Hield, Woodard, and Cousins when they were young? I watched us make 21 turnovers when those 3 were seniors the night Buddy hit the halfcourt shot that was overruled.

Last, we both know OSU would have been better if not for all teh suspensions and injuries. Not sure they sweep us if they have everyone but they probably beat us in Stillwater as we were lucky to win that game considering how poorly we played early.

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #50
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
WVU has been better than OSU every year and we all know Huggy Bear can coach. Plus, they run a system that is hard to adjust especially with young guards. Remember how they harrassed our guards when Hield, Woodard, and Cousins when they were young? I watched us make 21 turnovers when those 3 were seniors the night Buddy hit the halfcourt shot that was overruled.

Last, we both know OSU would have been better if not for all teh suspensions and injuries. Not sure they sweep us if they have everyone but they probably beat us in Stillwater as we were lucky to win that game considering how poorly we played early.
Regarding West Virginia, those points are valid. It's the emphasis some have placed on the two games this year that I don't find especially compelling. They didn't even play their usual style this season -- hardly any pressing, and it's not like we lost because of turnovers.

As for OSU . . . we outscored them by 28 points over the final 30 minutes in Stillwater. In no way were we lucky to win. They came out on fire the first 10 minutes -- there was never any chance they would sustain anything close to that level for the entire game. Essentially, we dominated the game and the only reason it was close is that they played their best basketball for a quarter of the game. The fact that we won by nine despite how hot they started shows how much better we were. I know a lot of people love Boynton and think he is a great coach, and he may well prove to be one. But the jury is definitely out on that IMO. Yes, he has signed some good players, but then again, Shaka Smart never has trouble bringing in great classes. It has yet to translate into anything significant in the results department. I will definitely agree that OSU plays hard, and that is a credit to Boynton.