ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #51
Larry72
Role Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 901
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
If we get trae young and a big guy develops.. i think we'll be back sooner than later
I agree!!! Trae and a good big recruit = success
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #52
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,814
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It boggles my mind that anyone would assume Coach Kruger won't ever match the success of the 2016 season. Could it happen that he won't? Sure. Is it any sort of given? Hardly.
I'm optimistic he'll get us back to the FF before he retires, but I can't blame those who disagree. After 1988, would you have thought Billy Tubbs would have us back in the FF? How about Kelvin Sampson after 2002? I thought for sure Billy would have us back and was very confident Kelvin would as well. That's why I'm using the "cautiously optimistic" approach with Coach Kruger.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #53
Tony
Sweet 16
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC. Ish.
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue

It boggles my mind that anyone would assume Coach Kruger won't ever match the success of the 2016 season. Could it happen that he won't? Sure. Is it any sort of given? Hardly.
Five Final Fours in the history of Oklahoma basketball. YMMV but assuming a Lon Kruger-coached Oklahoma team won't ever make another Final Four seems like a lot safer bet to me that assuming they will. Assuming Final Four appearances seems like a sucker bet, but I could be wrong I guess.

I anticipate continued success. Lon Kruger is awesome. Indeed I say this in recognition of how much we should appreciate this past year's team. Reaching Final Fours is not easy.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #54
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Five Final Fours in the history of Oklahoma basketball. YMMV but assuming a Lon Kruger-coached Oklahoma team won't ever make another Final Four seems like a lot safer bet to me that assuming they will. Assuming Final Four appearances seems like a sucker bet, but I could be wrong I guess.

I anticipate continued success. Lon Kruger is awesome. Indeed I say this in recognition of how much we should appreciate this past year's team. Reaching Final Fours is not easy.
I assume nothing specific; I'm not the one making pronouncements (other than the rather general suggestion that Kruger will continue to have success at OU). I see no reason not to be optimistic, and those gloomy Gusses in this thread who are suggesting Kruger has likely peaked have offered no compelling evidence to back up their pessimism.

I just can't imagine coming off this season as a fan and telling myself (and anyone else who'll listen), "Well, that's it; it's going to be downhill from here."

But again, I don't consider another Final Four to be the be-all, end-all. There are many great things Kruger's future teams could accomplish that would make me very happy and satisfied.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #55
KBaden145
All-Conference
 
KBaden145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,085
Default Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Five Final Fours in the history of Oklahoma basketball. YMMV but assuming a Lon Kruger-coached Oklahoma team won't ever make another Final Four seems like a lot safer bet to me that assuming they will. Assuming Final Four appearances seems like a sucker bet, but I could be wrong I guess.



I anticipate continued success. Lon Kruger is awesome. Indeed I say this in recognition of how much we should appreciate this past year's team. Reaching Final Fours is not easy.


This is not far off from where I am. The OP and another poster or 2 seem to think we've, in essence, 'shot our wad' and things are now destined to fall apart despite no real evidence to back them up. I'm not predicting Final 4s but I will predict multiple teams capable of making such runs...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KBaden145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #56
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

There are other ways to consider this strange topic.

Winning a Big-12 regular season championship and/or winning a Big-12 tournament championship would be new achievements (i.e., peaks) for Coach Kruger at OU. I am hopeful that conference championship trophies will be added to the OU trophy display while Coach Kruger is here.

The Hield/Cousins/Spangler class peaked in their senior season, but they never achieved a conference championship.

The James/Odomes/Buford/McNeace class will just be sophomores next season, with some salty freshmen right behind them. Coach Kruger's journey is not over. There are still some peaks to climb.
__________________
OU Baseball: 1951 & 1994 National Champions / 10 NCAA College World Series Appearances
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #57
sdcloud9
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,297
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

We are all greedy, a taste of success always makes fans want more.

I would be very disappointed if OU ever missed the NCAA Tournament under LK, that's the standard of OU basketball the past 25 years or so.

Perhaps another Elite 8/Final Four run is possible, especially if Trae comes on board.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #58
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I just can't imagine coming off this season as a fan and telling myself (and anyone else who'll listen), "Well, that's it; it's going to be downhill from here."
Nobody said that.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #59
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Not in so many words, but saying Kruger will never have as a good a season as this year is close enough.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #60
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Not in so many words, but saying Kruger will never have as a good a season as this year is close enough.
Most, if not all, on here have said that MIGHT be Kruger's best season; not that it definitively is.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #61
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,469
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBaden145 View Post
Again, I don't think your argument translates. This is a different situation completely for Kruger. This program is superior to every program Coach has been in almost every way. His recruiting is improving and the talent level across the roster has continued to improve almost every cycle. Besides what ut is doing (almost completely unrelated) and what Coach did at inferior basketball programs in the past, what evidence directly involving OU basketball do you see foretelling the kind of drop off you are predicting (at worst a .500 record, possibly no more 20 win seasons which would also mean rare NCAA tourney trips). You make it sound like OU basketball is a plane with an engine out. I see staying power. I see consistent top 2,3,4 finishes and consistent contention in the Big 12. I see a long streak of NCAA trips. I see a multiple Sweet 16s, plus a possible Final 4 run in 17-18, a team I think could be superior to this past year's team if we add Trae Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only exception is Illinois and I think he may have stayed there a long time if it weren't for the NBA offer, which would be stupid to turn down. Although, I don't think he would have stayed at Illinois for the remainder of his career due to other factors (climate and recruiting environment with the inner city kids). Some may say "climate?, that's stupid" but if you look at all of his stops, except KSU, they are all warm weather climates -- Florida, Atlanta, UNLV and OU.

I will add, during the final 4, I saw an interview with his wife about how they went from building a retirement home in UNLV to taking the OU offer. She mentioned the chance to go to OU was a great opportunity because it gave Lon a chance to get back to the Final 4 unlike UNLV. I also had heard that week that UNLV didn't have the money to match or come close to OU's offer, so when Joe kept offering it was too good of an offer combined with the possibilities for quick success for LK to turn down.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #62
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,469
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

To the OP...I fail to see how anyone can judge if the program has peaked or not based on a final 4. Like Traveler mentioned, if he can win a Big 12 title or 2 or 3 that would mean the program has not peaked with this final 4 appearance. Winning at KU not just once but a few times would be a big accomplishment too. IMO, judging if a program has peaked based on one game or one season is not accurate just like saying previous coaches were more successful in the tourney because "they beat the teams they were supposed to beat". That entire argument is ludicrous because teams are mis-seeded all the time -- multiple times every year. Also, teams peak sooner while some teams peak later. I think you also have to look at opponents like NDSU who beat us a few years ago when they had 5 senior starters. I think they were the better team but because we were from a power 5 we had a higher seed and thus "did not play up to seed".

So, to me the whole question is stupid -- no offense OP.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #63
Soonerinkc
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,220
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

my 2 cents...

I was in Manhattan when Kruger was coaching there...he was the KING, like Switzer at OU. Played at ksu was from a small Ks town..he WAS K-State. His leaving was rumored for other reasons.

Ksu at the time was very good in basketball...that WAS their sport. I disagree that ksu wasn't "the level of OU" at his time.

Now, why he bounced so much..who knows.

He's had a great run at OU, like another said, I'd like to see a Big 12 REGULAR season trophy...I hate the hawks..or at least a tourney trophy. I loved the fact OU had the longest post season streak in the Big 8/12...even more than ku...until jc showed up.

I think he'll keep going and do well. Another final 4? hell, OU has only 5 in it's whole history...odds are no, but it'd be nice.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #64
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,814
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Ksu at the time was very good in basketball...that WAS their sport. I disagree that ksu wasn't "the level of OU" at his time.

But they weren't at OU's level. The one year he got KSU deep in the Tournament, OU played for the title. Two other years, OU was in the Sweet 16, and the final year, OU was the #1 overall seed heading into the Tournament. During the second half of the 1980s, there were about 10 programs at OU's level - Kansas, Duke, NC, UNLV, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Arizona, Georgetown and Syracuse...that's it. Tacking on a few years prior to Lon, we were a top 10 program from 1983 - 1990. KSU wasn't close to that during Lon's 4 year tenure.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #65
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,469
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
But they weren't at OU's level. The one year he got KSU deep in the Tournament, OU played for the title. Two other years, OU was in the Sweet 16, and the final year, OU was the #1 overall seed heading into the Tournament. During the second half of the 1980s, there were about 10 programs at OU's level - Kansas, Duke, NC, UNLV, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Arizona, Georgetown and Syracuse...that's it. Tacking on a few years prior to Lon, we were a top 10 program from 1983 - 1990. KSU wasn't close to that during Lon's 4 year tenure.
Jack Hartman had KSU rolling until Tubbs got it rolling in Norman and then OU passed KSU in the Big 8. I think that led to Hartman retiring because he hated losing to Tubbs so KSU hired Kruger. His teams beat OU about half the time before he left Manhattan. So, OU was a better program when Kruger was in Manhattan but not by that much.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #66
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
KSU hired Kruger. His teams beat OU about half the time before he left Manhattan. So, OU was a better program when Kruger was in Manhattan but not by that much.
If head-to-head results were all that mattered, KSU would be considered a better program than OU right now. We are currently 4-6 against them under Kruger.

During Kruger's tenure in Manhattan, OU won two conference titles and finished second the other two years. We went 24-10, 35-4, 30-6 and 27-5. In the NCAA tourney, OU lost once in the second round, twice in the Sweet Sixteen, and once in the championship game.

KSU finished 4th twice, third once and second once, going 20-11, 25-9, 19-11 and 17-15. They had two first-round losses, one second-round loss and one Elite Eight loss.

So no, KSU wasn't nearly as good a program when Kruger was there.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #67
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,469
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
If head-to-head results were all that mattered, KSU would be considered a better program than OU right now. We are currently 4-6 against them under Kruger.

During Kruger's tenure in Manhattan, OU won two conference titles and finished second the other two years. We went 24-10, 35-4, 30-6 and 27-5. In the NCAA tourney, OU lost once in the second round, twice in the Sweet Sixteen, and once in the championship game.

KSU finished 4th twice, third once and second once, going 20-11, 25-9, 19-11 and 17-15. They had two first-round losses, one second-round loss and one Elite Eight loss.

So no, KSU wasn't nearly as good a program when Kruger was there.
Both had 4 NCAA tourney appearances and OU had the final 4 but KSU had the elite 8 and both lost to KU that year. So, like I said, we had the better program but it's not like they were Colorado.

In those days, the best programs were KU, OU, Mizzou, KSU and ISU. The other 3 (OSU, Nebraska and CU) were nobodies. Of the 5 I mentioned, KU was the best and ISU was the 5th best. OU was probably 2 though one could make the case for Mizzou except they didn't make it to a final 4 (never have).
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #68
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,721
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
Both had 4 NCAA tourney appearances and OU had the final 4 but KSU had the elite 8 and both lost to KU that year. So, like I said, we had the better program but it's not like they were Colorado.
You're right that they weren't bottom of the barrel, but their best record over those five years was just a tick better than our worst, and our conference rankings were much better than theirs. It's really not that close.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #69
chuckb
All-Conference
 
chuckb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBaden145 View Post
This is not far off from where I am. The OP and another poster or 2 seem to think we've, in essence, 'shot our wad' and things are now destined to fall apart despite no real evidence to back them up. I'm not predicting Final 4s but I will predict multiple teams capable of making such runs...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this year's team goes to the Sweet 16 and then we go to 5 Elite 8's in a row. Will that mean that OU "peaked" in 2016 and is on the downward sign of the hill? I would say not. Teams that consistently make it to the Elite 8 would be top-notch programs and while it would be disappointing not to make a Final 4, I think most would argue that the program is in better shape than it is today.

There's a lot to feel good about if you support OU basketball.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #70
Sooner24
Walk-on
 
Sooner24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 183
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Just curious for your thoughts. Seeing Texas light it up recruiting-wise scares me a bit. Kruger can't out-recruit Smart (he may try, but will fail). I love Kruger and I love where OU is at. But is this as high as OU can go with a coach like Kruger?
I'm thinking you've peaked as a poster.
Sooner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #71
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner24 View Post
I'm thinking you've peaked as a poster.
My sentiments, exactly!!!
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #72
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Three straight days of rain could be called a pattern, too, but there's a strong possibility the fourth day will be sunny.
It's raining, sir.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #73
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,441
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
It sure doesn't feel like it, but if history repeats itself, yes. Lon tends to rebuild quickly, and then fade just about as quickly. Lon peaked in year 2 at KSU, year 3 at UNLV, and year 4 at Florida. Just looking at the numbers and removing my personal bias, it's hard to predict that year 5 isn't his peak at OU.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. It's just hard to come to any other conclusion looking strictly at Lon's career by the numbers. However, he has bucked a few trends here at OU. Despite all his noted improvement stories, he's never improved 5 straight years, and this last year was probably his most successful. Additionally, he's had more of a steadiness these last two stops (UNLV, OU), so it's possible.
Funny to see how much controversy this post stirred up 3 years ago. The OG Lon Hater right here.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #74
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,705
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner24 View Post
I'm thinking you've peaked as a poster.
You read my mind!
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #75
61sooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 446
Default Re: Has OU peaked under Kruger?

He got OU to a Final 4 so I can't imagine he can top that in his remaining years at OU.
Would be special to win the Big 12 season or tournament to cap his career.
That's always an outside possibility.
61sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com