ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Default Bruce Pearl

Not a slam at him.

But I wonder how he transformed a ho hum program so suddenly to a darn good team with excellent players.

Also I don't know why he left Tennessee after turning that program around.

Like Beard he has suddenly emerged as a great coach. How do they do it?
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
sperry
All-American

Default Re: Bruce Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Not a slam at him.

But I wonder how he transformed a ho hum program so suddenly to a darn good team with excellent players.

Pearl had the same issue as Kelvin. Relatively minor infraction, lied about it during the investigation and got fired for the cover-up.

He's dirty as all get out though. One of his assistants was caught up in the FBI investigation.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Eielson
Starter

He's a great coach. Questionable character.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Swans
Role Player

One assistant fired and one suspended.
Swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Concerned about recruiting.

While some like Pearl get fired they seem to get hired right away and when was the last time a major institution got a severe discipline from the NCAA. Afraid the NCAA is turning a blind eye to what is going on.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
mict085
Role Player

Bruce pearl is a darn good coach, but he does cheat at recruiting. The same could be said of bill self, Roy Williams, coach K, John Calipari, to name a few.

So, what’s the point?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Not a slam at him.

He didn't leave Tennessee, he was fired. They gave him a lot of rope, but he eventually hung himself for too many problems off the court, in terms of recruiting and other NCAA discretionary actions (on more than one occasion as well).

His passion for his teams, and his ability to recruit and develop talent, has never been questioned...his ability to do it within the rules has on many occasions.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
sdcloud9
Starter

Here is a recent story about Pearl's NCAA issues.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...kee-violations
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Bruce pearl is a darn good coach, but he does cheat at recruiting. The same could be said of bill self, Roy Williams, coach K, John Calipari, to name a few.

So, what’s the point?
Pearl is a proven cheat. I'm not aware of proof that all of the others you name here, or that others have named in the past, have cheated. Not saying they haven't, but just throwing that stuff out is awfully sketchy to me. A lot of people seem to assume that any program/coach that wins at a really high level cheats. Are we willing to say that about Lincoln Riley? After all, he has won at a ridiculous level and brought in a lot of great recruits in his short career.

Again, I'm not saying that any or all of the people you name are clean. But there has to be a distinction between people who have been caught and those who are just suspected. Just my two cents, I know many disagree. And believe me, I despise Roy Williams more than anyone on this board, so it's not like I am taking up for people I like.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Pearl is a proven cheat. I'm not aware of proof that all of the others you name here, or that others have named in the past, have cheated. Not saying they haven't, but just throwing that stuff out is awfully sketchy to me. A lot of people seem to assume that any program/coach that wins at a really high level cheats. Are we willing to say that about Lincoln Riley? After all, he has won at a ridiculous level and brought in a lot of great recruits in his short career.

Again, I'm not saying that any or all of the people you name are clean. But there has to be a distinction between people who have been caught and those who are just suspected. Just my two cents, I know many disagree. And believe me, I despise Roy Williams more than anyone on this board, so it's not like I am taking up for people I like.
VERY well said. It's like the steroid thing in baseball; yeah, we know a ton of them cheated, but just because some of them hit gigantic home runs doesn't mean they should be considered cheaters when there isn't actual proof.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
oudna
All-American

Dirty rotten bastard
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Pearl is a proven cheat. I'm not aware of proof that all of the others you name here, or that others have named in the past, have cheated.
Calipari is a proven cheat as well. Some of these guys like K and Self may not have directly been proven as cheats (yet?), but they've had dirty assistants. Sure, sometimes assistants do their own thing, but falling on the sword for the HC is also a very lucrative business. And didn't UNC just have a huge academic scandal with Roy Williams in charge?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Soonerinkc
All-American

so....the question is....

those all cheat (one way or another) and the ncaa does nothing.

why can't we cheat...and win?

Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #14
SuperHoops
Role Player

At least nobody has posted the pic of him in body paint at a UT women's game.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHoops View Post
At least nobody has posted the pic of him in body paint at a UT women's game.
As an FYI, I could have gone the rest of my life without having been reminded of that :-)

I will say this for Pearl. He handled the loss about as well as anyone could possibly expect given the circumstances.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #16
coolm
National Champion

I like Pearl. He'd be a good Sooner coach.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #17
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
As an FYI, I could have gone the rest of my life without having been reminded of that :-)

I will say this for Pearl. He handled the loss about as well as anyone could possibly expect given the circumstances.
He handled the aftermath of the loss well, but not necessarily the call itself -- he was beyond halfcourt screaming about the foul call before he even had a chance to see a replay, which clearly showed it was a foul that had to be called. Had the situation been reversed, I'm sure Bennett would have handled it much better. But I agree that his postgame comments were well thought-out.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #18
Dr Sleep
Walk-on

Quote:

I may be wrong, but Callipari had games including a final four vacated for cheating at Maryland. Self and Coach K are in the Nike/agent/FBI cheating scandal. Roy William's players at North Carolina didn't have to go to class or do any school work and still remained eligible.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sleep View Post
I may be wrong, but Callipari had games including a final four vacated for cheating at Maryland. Self and Coach K are in the Nike/agent/FBI cheating scandal. Roy William's players at North Carolina didn't have to go to class or do any school work and still remained eligible.
UMass had wins vacated because Camby took money from an agent when he was in college. Didn't have anything to do with Cal. The deal at UNC had nothing to do with basketball. Every student at the university was able to take the same classes. Athletes weren't getting any special treatment unless my memory of the report is completely wrong. Self and K may well be proven to have cheated when the dust clears, but it remains to be seen. Again, I'm not saying they are clean. Just saying it hasn't been determined yet.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #20
vbdad
Role Player

The athletes were getting special treatment at North Carolina. They weren't having to do any work for the classes. It was more than just basketball however.
Memphis also had its final 4 vacated from when Cal was there. Of course none of these things have anything to do with the head coach. Remember Pitino also denied knowing all the crazy stuff was going on at Louisville.

Pearl now has two assistants who involved in the scandal one of which has pleaded guilty.
He also years ago turned in I think Illinois for cheating in trying to get players. He was still an assistant somewhere up there or maybe head coach at Wisconsin Milwaukee. Most in the business thought he turned them in because they out bid him.
The man can coach but he is among the shady guys in basketball which unfortunately is a high percentage.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
SoonerTraveler
Final Four

(2016) The Sleaziest Coach in a Sleazy Game
https://slate.com/culture/2010/03/ke...eazy-game.html

(2017) 7 Reasons John Calipari is the Most Hated Coach in College Basketball
https://www.complex.com/sports/2017/...ge-basketball/

(2012) Critical Coaches: Who is perceived to be the biggest cheater in the sport?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-in-the-sport/

(2009) Memphis also gets 3 years' probation
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ory?id=4412279
Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #22
AdaSooner
Administrator

Interesting that Scott Drew was picked just below Calipari in the link Traveler posted when coaches were asked about the biggest cheats in college basketball. A number of posters on this board have been saying for a decade or more that Drew cheats. Now we know some of his peers felt the same way.

AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #23
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Interesting that Scott Drew was picked just below Calipari in the link Traveler posted when coaches were asked about the biggest cheats in college basketball. A number of posters on this board have been saying for a decade or more that Drew cheats. Now we know some of his peers felt the same way.

Maybe this is why UCLA never seemed to be interested in him. I thought he would be a good one for them to target but no one's going near a coach that might end up getting arrested or turning the school into a laughingstock once all of that gets revealed.
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote