ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 03-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #2426
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Re: March Madness and Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
Then what qualifies you to say that the CDC doesn't use nuclear energy cleanliness protocols? or that half the old ELT's I know off the Canopus now work for the CDC for just that reason?

this is one of those things where you dont know enough to be aware of all that you don't know so you should just defer.
Answer my question. Are you going to defer to me on all things financial and business? If not, why? I clearly have more experience and expertise in those fields.

And I'll be 100% honest with you. I think you are crazier than a bed bug. I don't care what your field of practice is, I don't often agree with your "application of facts" on much of anything. Not trying to be rude, but you asked.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #2427
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Answer my question. Are you going to defer to me on all things financial and business? If not, why? I clearly have more experience and expertise in those fields.

And I'll be 100% honest with you. I think you are crazier than a bed bug. I don't care what your field of practice is, I don't often agree with your "application of facts" on much of anything. Not trying to be rude, but you asked.
well while we're being honest I think you're dumber than a box of rocks and I've yet to see a single opinion from you on this matter that warranted anything more than a shrug. maybe you should focus on learning something about it before opening your piehole. Not to be rude or anything. BUT when the issue of how they will finance their used car comes up you'll be on that potential expertise list.

Last edited by coolm; 03-31-2020 at 01:08 PM.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #2428
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I know this wasn’t directed at me but I’d like to give my experience.

I’ve never been more disappointed in an election in my life. Me & my wife stayed up hanging out, drinking, watching the results. As it became clear he was going to win it sobered me up instantly and I was distraught. I was also disappointed in the Democratic Party by pushing Hillary even though she wasn’t close to the best candidate.

The next day I honestly came to a place of mind to give him a chance and hoped he would do a good job. I wasn’t going to root for a president to fail. I was going to believe his antics were just to get him elected and gave him credit for playing an angle I didn’t think would work.

As time went on he couldn’t quit lying, dividing the country, childish mockery, hateful statements, and embarrassing the country to the rest of the world. He constantly makes statements that are easily proven wrong and throws tantrums when he’s called out. I can’t support this man.
Thank you for your honesty and perspective. We need more people with this outlook. I was in the same boat... Part of me truly believed it was just political show-boating, and that he would change when he came into office. But he didn't. He got worse. A lot worse. It's just him, it is who he is. I thought for awhile it was just an act, but I think I was wrong on that too.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #2429
mict085
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
well while we're being honest I think you're dumber than a box of rocks and I've yet to see a single opinion from you on this matter that warranted anything more than a shrug. maybe you should focus on learning something about it before opening your piehole. Not to be rude or anything.
You have been one of the most smug, arrogant, blow hard, assholes on the board lately. Good job.

Reading this thread is very interesting and a microcosm of current America, as sad as that is. No matter what the argument, it devolves into politics, name calling, and insults. We’ve all done it. I have been guilty of it and all of you have as well.

The government has been screwing things up far before trump. This current mess isn’t a trump problem, it’s a government problem. All of them. The dems refusal to work together is just as harmful as anything trump has done.

I’m mad that the government has known what’s coming for months and they’ve wasted that time instead of forcing the increased production of PPE, ventilators, and testing. That’s not trumps fault alone. It’s all of them together. They’re all playing political games while the virus has spread. Both sides are at fault and both sides are screwing the American people, just as they’ve done for the last 50 years.

I believe we should shut down everything for the short term. However, we will need to get back to work as soon as we can or there will be terrible consequences. As I’ve said, there is a threshold before the cure will be more devastating than the disease. I believe in flattening the curve and it will make a difference. In the meantime, we have to ramp up production of supplies and ramp up testing. It’s 12-14 months before a vaccine will be available, and that’s in a best case scenario. There have been some treatments that have shown promise, but we need more data before determining if that’s true. Currently, it’s about the only thing we can do, so we do it and hope. There is some promising news about antibody testing that could help us get a better handle on the virus and who’s had it. That combined with more testing could help us isolate the hot spots and let other areas get back to work when it’s time.

TLDR.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #2430
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:

I was also disappointed in the Democratic Party by pushing Hillary even though she wasn’t close to the best candidate.
Just curious - who did you think the best candidate was?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #2431
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
You have been one of the most smug, arrogant, blow hard, assholes on the board lately. Good job.

TLDR.

And his name is Earnest T.

Plexiglass windows are in short supply for good reason.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 03-31-2020 at 01:34 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:31 PM   #2432
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post

Those sitting at home watching the tv on election night.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #2433
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
one of? I must be slipping. and only lately? preposterous.

when finance people and writers try to instruct me on the finer points of contamination controls then I most certainly get "touchy". especially when the results affect me and mine. deal with it.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #2434
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Reading this thread is very interesting and a microcosm of current America, as sad as that is. No matter what the argument, it devolves into politics, name calling, and insults. We’ve all done it. I have been guilty of it and all of you have as well.
Yep. This forum is a very interesting ecosystem for the state of America.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #2435
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Yep. This forum is a very interesting ecosystem for the state of America.
Carbon copy.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #2436
mict085
Starter

I just want to say, that I do appreciate being able to come here and talk sports and other things with all of you. Even the ones I disagree with. This whole situation sucks on so many levels but one day, God willing, we will come out of this alive and well and continue on with our lives. Hopefully, a little wiser and a bit more compassionate for each other.

Peace and love to you all. And wash your hands. Repeatedly.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM   #2437
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
I just want to say, that I do appreciate being able to come here and talk sports and other things with all of you. Even the ones I disagree with. This whole situation sucks on so many levels but one day, God willing, we will come out of this alive and well and continue on with our lives. Hopefully, a little wiser and a bit more compassionate for each other.

Peace and love to you all. And wash your hands. Repeatedly.
Nice, very well said and I couldn't agree more.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #2438
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
I know this wasn’t directed at me but I’d like to give my experience.

I’ve never been more disappointed in an election in my life. Me & my wife stayed up hanging out, drinking, watching the results. As it became clear he was going to win it sobered me up instantly and I was distraught. I was also disappointed in the Democratic Party by pushing Hillary even though she wasn’t close to the best candidate.

The next day I honestly came to a place of mind to give him a chance and hoped he would do a good job. I wasn’t going to root for a president to fail. I was going to believe his antics were just to get him elected and gave him credit for playing an angle I didn’t think would work.

As time went on he couldn’t quit lying, dividing the country, childish mockery, hateful statements, and embarrassing the country to the rest of the world. He constantly makes statements that are easily proven wrong and throws tantrums when he’s called out. I can’t support this man.
Best night of my life politically. Cant wait for the sequel this year
Old 03-31-2020, 02:17 PM   #2439
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
That year I think Bernie was, even though I don’t think he was this year. I believe they watered down the competition for Hilary to win so she could be the first woman because they didn’t think Trump could win no matter what.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:23 PM   #2440
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
Nice, very well said and I couldn't agree more.

You need to watch the George Carlin video on expressions and sayings (I just did myself). I think "I couldn't agree more" should be one of them. I mean you have a set limit to agreeing? What you really should be saying is "I could agree more, but it's not happening until you come up with something better to say and even then I might just partially agree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Zad39QXL4
Old 03-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #2441
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Best night of my life politically. Cant wait for the sequel this year
To watch people actually crying because the complete stranger they voted for did not win a contest is so alarming.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #2442
coolm
National Champion

WSJ and others reporting that China left the asymptomatic off their numbers for those infected (and you know darn well they fudged the numbers of deaths too). So it's not necessarily accurate if someone says our numbers are bigger than china's. The Iceland and Diamond cruise numbers suggest that the asymptomatic comprise close to half of the total positives so you can essentially double the chinese "infected" numbers.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #2443
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Yesterday he said this:

"I know South Korea better than anybody. It's a very tight — do you know how many people are in Seoul?" he asked. "Do you know how big the city of Seoul is?"

"Thirty-eight million people," Trump said,"That's bigger than anything we have. Thirty-eight million people, all tightly wound together."

There are about 10 million people in Seoul, lol.
Did you know this country has more than 57 states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Or refers to his bowling game like it was the special olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOBTUCv4o0

"Twister casualties: After a devastating tornado hit Kansas, Obama discussed the tragedy without help from a teleprompter, saying, ”In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died-an entire town destroyed.” He was only off by 9,988 as the twister killed 12 people."

What year is it? During a trip to London’s Westminster Abbey, President Obama signed the guest book and dated it 24 May 2008. Oops. It was 2011. (Maybe he was wistfully dreaming about his 2008 election campaign at the time.)

Health care inefficiencies: During the health care debate, President Obama explained all the benefits of ObamaCare, saying, “The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system.�?� Mr. President, we already have enough inefficiency in health care and, yes, your “reforms�?� will only make it worse.

What language is that? In April 2009, on one of his many foreign trips, President Obama mused, “I don’t know what the term is in Austrian�?� for “wheeling and dealing.�?� Oops, Mr. President. There is no Austrian language.

Special Olympics insensitivity: The President called and apologized to the head of the Special Olympics, after making this insensitive comment following a game of bowling: “No, no. I have been practicing. … I bowled a 129. It’s like-it was like Special Olympics, or something.” Maybe he should have also apologized to bowlers for his feeble effort.

How many states? Vice President Dan Quayle was virtually laughed out of Washington for misspelling potato back in 1992, yet Barack Obama made a more elementary flub when, during the 2008 campaign, he said: “I’ve now been in 57 states-I think one left to go.”

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 03-31-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #2444
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
To watch people actually crying because the complete stranger they voted for did not win a contest is so alarming.
First of all, rarely do people cry. Second, that doesn't really take into account the magnitude of the situation. Elections have consequences... This particular election held our country back, and set the clock back quite a ways. Not so much the Presidential election, but the Democratic Primary election when they put Hillary up instead of Bernie.

Trump and people who think like him are not the future of America. We need a reform candidate for some badly needed generational reforms. Reforms like what we got in the 1930's under FDR, or in the 60's under LBJ. Bernie really isn't that different than those guys, who brought reforms that changed the fabric of America for the better.

Social Security, Education, Medicare, environmental policy, workers rights, etc. Those were huge reforms that brought America forward. We need another round of reforms, many of which are championed by Bernie Sanders, but will be championed by others in future elections.

Do some research on FDR and LBJ, and ask yourself... if you could cast a vote today would you vote away Social Security? Medicare? The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 that brought us minimum wage, the 40 hour week, overtime pay, etc?

America wouldn't even be the America you know and love without those two Presidents.
  • LBJ brought the Civil Rights Act of 1965. That changed the fabric of America.
  • LBJ brought the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
  • LBJ brought Medicare... This changed America in a drastic way. Which of you seniors or soon to be seniors wants to abandon Medicare?
  • LBJ brought lots of consumer protections like "Truth in Lending", the Federal Trade Commission, and many other consumer protections
  • LBJ brought the Clean Air Act of 1963, The Endangered Species of Act of 1973, the Wild Rivers Act, Land and Water Conservation Act, the first national Vehicle emissions standards act, and many other environmental protections

Mix that with FDR, and it doesn't sound a whole lot different than where the modern DNC is heading now that Bernie changed the game. They have adopted nearly all of his policy positions, and even Biden would advance that to a degree.

I appreciate the historical context of these policies (gained under LBJ and FDR), and am proud to fight for those policies and reforms like them. To me, these types of reforms are something to be proud of. Dismantling generations of achieved policy is not something to be proud of. Cutting down funding for these reforms is not something to be proud of. People who support the destruction of these reforms, and go and and block (by voting) new reforms to further these causes do so at their own peril, and to the benefit of a small few.

We need another round of societal reforms.... We need to protect the legacies of FDR, Eisenhower, and LBJ.. It's not about free stuff, it was never about free stuff. That's the common calling card I hear... In the 1930's it wasn't about "free retirement" with Social Security any more than tuition free education is about "free education".... It's about building a society for the future. A healthy environment, robust public services that increase quality of life and reduce insecurity, the best education for all citizens, the best healthcare for all citizens, etc.

These aren't the demands of would-be freeloaders who just want to suckle from the government. It's about the proper construction of a healthy society. One that you would fight and die for.

End of rant, unless someone replies.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #2445
MJSooner
Role Player

Dr. Birx is killing it right now. Slides are awesome and on point and give a reason for optimism. Her words are comforting.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #2446
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Dr. Birx is killing it right now. Slides are awesome and on point and give a reason for optimism. Her words are comforting.
What is she saying?
Old 03-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #2447
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
What is she saying?
Basically, she, Dr. Fauci, and now VP Pence, is giving their "this sucks, but we can do this" speech. She showed slides on how the mitigation is working, how the mitigation is working in Italy, and now they are on the backside of the curve, it appears. All of them are saying the next two weeks will be tough, but do not be discouraged as the numbers lag behind our efforts. Dr. Birx was very comforting, Fauci very factual but encouraging, and Pence empathetic.

All of them encouraging saying it is working and if we can get through the next 30 days, they all feel we will get through this. I would have loved to see this speech when the market was open, it would have jumped.

IMO, a speech America needed.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:09 PM   #2448
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
First of all, rarely do people cry. Second, that doesn't really take into account the magnitude of the situation. Elections have consequences... This particular election held our country back, and set the clock back quite a ways. Not so much the Presidential election, but the Democratic Primary election when they put Hillary up instead of Bernie.

Trump and people who think like him are not the future of America. We need a reform candidate for some badly needed generational reforms. Reforms like what we got in the 1930's under FDR, or in the 60's under LBJ. Bernie really isn't that different than those guys, who brought reforms that changed the fabric of America for the better.

Social Security, Education, Medicare, environmental policy, workers rights, etc. Those were huge reforms that brought America forward. We need another round of reforms, many of which are championed by Bernie Sanders, but will be championed by others in future elections.

Do some research on FDR and LBJ, and ask yourself... if you could cast a vote today would you vote away Social Security? Medicare? The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 that brought us minimum wage, the 40 hour week, overtime pay, etc?

America wouldn't even be the America you know and love without those two Presidents.
  • LBJ brought the Civil Rights Act of 1965. That changed the fabric of America.
  • LBJ brought the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
  • LBJ brought Medicare... This changed America in a drastic way. Which of you seniors or soon to be seniors wants to abandon Medicare?
  • LBJ brought lots of consumer protections like "Truth in Lending", the Federal Trade Commission, and many other consumer protections
  • LBJ brought the Clean Air Act of 1963, The Endangered Species of Act of 1973, the Wild Rivers Act, Land and Water Conservation Act, the first national Vehicle emissions standards act, and many other environmental protections

Mix that with FDR, and it doesn't sound a whole lot different than where the modern DNC is heading now that Bernie changed the game. They have adopted nearly all of his policy positions, and even Biden would advance that to a degree.

I appreciate the historical context of these policies (gained under LBJ and FDR), and am proud to fight for those policies and reforms like them. To me, these types of reforms are something to be proud of. Dismantling generations of achieved policy is not something to be proud of. Cutting down funding for these reforms is not something to be proud of. People who support the destruction of these reforms, and go and and block (by voting) new reforms to further these causes do so at their own peril, and to the benefit of a small few.

We need another round of societal reforms.... We need to protect the legacies of FDR, Eisenhower, and LBJ.. It's not about free stuff, it was never about free stuff. That's the common calling card I hear... In the 1930's it wasn't about "free retirement" with Social Security any more than tuition free education is about "free education".... It's about building a society for the future. A healthy environment, robust public services that increase quality of life and reduce insecurity, the best education for all citizens, the best healthcare for all citizens, etc.

These aren't the demands of would-be freeloaders who just want to suckle from the government. It's about the proper construction of a healthy society. One that you would fight and die for.

End of rant, unless someone replies.
And all of the above because "some" people cried.

LBJ meant well with civil rights but his method of going about it hurt blacks in a number of ways.

Before:most children (70%) came from a two parent family. After (30%).

Before: less % of black population in jail. after: more

Before: less black unemployment. after:more
Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #2449
steverocks35
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Did you know this country has more than 57 states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Or refers to his bowling game like it was the special olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HOBTUCv4o0

"Twister casualties: After a devastating tornado hit Kansas, Obama discussed the tragedy without help from a teleprompter, saying, ”In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died-an entire town destroyed.” He was only off by 9,988 as the twister killed 12 people."

What year is it? During a trip to London’s Westminster Abbey, President Obama signed the guest book and dated it 24 May 2008. Oops. It was 2011. (Maybe he was wistfully dreaming about his 2008 election campaign at the time.)

Health care inefficiencies: During the health care debate, President Obama explained all the benefits of ObamaCare, saying, “The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system.�?� Mr. President, we already have enough inefficiency in health care and, yes, your “reforms�?� will only make it worse.

What language is that? In April 2009, on one of his many foreign trips, President Obama mused, “I don’t know what the term is in Austrian�?� for “wheeling and dealing.�?� Oops, Mr. President. There is no Austrian language.

Special Olympics insensitivity: The President called and apologized to the head of the Special Olympics, after making this insensitive comment following a game of bowling: “No, no. I have been practicing. … I bowled a 129. It’s like-it was like Special Olympics, or something.” Maybe he should have also apologized to bowlers for his feeble effort.

How many states? Vice President Dan Quayle was virtually laughed out of Washington for misspelling potato back in 1992, yet Barack Obama made a more elementary flub when, during the 2008 campaign, he said: “I’ve now been in 57 states-I think one left to go.”
Show me one quote where President Obama led off by saying “I know more about [insert topic| than anyone...” and then went on to prove that he’s a complete idiot about said topic. Trump does it almost daily. Also, at least President Obama had the grace to apologize to people he inadvertently offended. Let me know when Trump apologizes to anyone for his vile behavior. He screams at journalists just trying to do their jobs every day.

Of course, you guys always bring up the 57 states thing, as if anyone on earth believes he doesn’t know how many states there are. He clearly misspoke. Trump doesn’t misspeak, he’s just an imbecile and a toxic narcissist.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #2450
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:

I would have loved to see this speech when the market was open, it would have jumped.

IMO, a speech America needed.
Just a joke. Okay?

Is it all about the "stock market."