ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 11-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Default The Portal hurt OU last spring

The NCAA portal is a way for teams to get better, but for OU it kinda cheated the Sooners out of a top 16 team.

4 of the players who left OU are starters at higg major programs. The biggest shock is Alondes Williams averaging 20 at West a
Virginia. Brady Manek is averaging 16 at UNC. Kur Kuath is a productive starter at Marquette. De’Vion Harmon is struggling, but is still a good player. Even Trey Phipps has been fairly productive at ORU.

I like the OU team. Especially the two freshman they brought in along with Tanner Grove, but we brought in less than what we lost.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ondes-williams
Old 11-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
NickZepp
National Champion

Lets wait till we got more results out there to judge. Also we need to see the foundation for the next few years be built with a new coach. I get being down after a loss and I'm one saying this team could be an NIT type team. But it's still too early to judge.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Default Re: The Portal hurt OU last spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
The NCAA portal is a way for teams to get better, but for OU it kinda cheated the Sooners out of a top 16 team.

4 of the players who left OU are starters at higg major programs. The biggest shock is Alondes Williams averaging 20 at West a
Virginia. Brady Manek is averaging 16 at UNC. Kur Kuath is a productive starter at Marquette. De’Vion Harmon is struggling, but is still a good player. Even Trey Phipps has been fairly productive at ORU.

I like the OU team. Especially the two freshman they brought in along with Tanner Grove, but we brought in less than what we lost.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ondes-williams
Alondes Williams goes to wake forest .... and he was the biggest loss .. IMHO ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #4
skyvue
National Champion

I was sorry to see us losing those players, too, but it's not as though Coach didn't try to keep them on board.

Meanwhile, Manek is averaging 14 (not 16) points per game, while T-Groves is averaging 18. I wish they were both in Norman, but we came out ok in that trade. And for the record, we have three freshmen, not two -- Mason, Noland, and Cortes.

Wake Forest has played William & Mary (303 in KenPom), Western Carolina (291), Charleston Southern (342) and North Carolina A&T (258), so I think we'd be wise to hold off on assessing Williams' improvement just yet.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I was sorry to see us losing those players, too, but it's not as though Coach didn't try to keep them on board.

Meanwhile, Manek is averaging 14 (not 16) points per game, while T-Groves is averaging 18. I wish they were both in Norman, but we came out ok in that trade. And for the record, we have three freshmen, not two -- Mason, Noland, and Cortes.

Wake Forest has played William & Mary (303 in KenPom), Western Carolina (291), Charleston Southern (342) and North Carolina A&T (258), so I think we'd be wise to hold off on assessing Williams' improvement just yet.
Manek is avg 16 after 24 points vs Tennessee yesterday.
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post
Manek is avg 16 after 24 points vs Tennessee yesterday.
I stand corrected. I relied on the NCAA stats page, which usually updates very quickly.

My point stands, though: Groves is currently outscoring Manek.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Alondes Williams goes to wake forest .... and he was the biggest loss .. IMHO ..
I thought Harmon was our biggest loss. Looks like I was wrong.

I like Alondes Williams. It’s good to see him doing well at WF! But, I agree with Nick. It might be wise to visit this thread after conference play is underway.

On the whole, though, there are at least five backcourt players on the current team, two of them freshmen, I wouldn’t trade for those we lost in the transfer portal. I mean that sincerely! And, yes, I’ll admit their decision to transfer plays a role in how I feel.

, I wouldn’t trade for the
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
cowboysooner
Starter

Put Harman, Williams, noland, Mason, Cortes and Goldwire in a pool, and my draft order is:

1) Williams
2) Goldwire
3) Noland
4) Harmon
5) Mason and/or Cortes.

Having nothing to do with what he is doing this year, I always thought Williams was really good. He is the tall athletic wing we need this year. I went with Goldwire second, because Noland and Harmon are not point guards in my opinion, and we needed a point this year, and could have used a good one last year. Jury is still out with Goldwire, but I am of the opinion that he will be really good by tournament time.

As a wing or 2 guard, I just think Noland is a better player that the rest, including Harmon (although I think Harmon is the better athlete). I like Mason and Cortes, but just don't have a fully formed opinion of them at this point and think the jury is still out on them. They both look like they are going to be nice players.

As for Manek versus Jacob Groves, I would take manek right now, but I think Jacob will be a better player by the time he leaves. As for Kauth v. Tanner, I will take tanner ever day. I do wish Kauth had stayed though because I think he is a decent player. I see Ethan and Kauth as a push. Mawein looks like he has good potential, but haven't seen enough of he or Johnson to know what to think of them.
cowboysooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

williams is who we want Harkless to be on offense ..
Old 11-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
I see them as very different players. Williams is an elite athlete who was prone to defensive lapses and inconsistent play. Harkless isn’t a particularly good athlete or shooter, but a tough competitor who makes a lot of effort and toughness plays. His ball handling is less than ideal, so combined with below average shooting, he’s not a guy you can really run much offense through.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
Not (at least last season) on defense, though. I very wish much he'd stayed, though.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Not (at least last season) on defense, though. I very wish much he'd stayed, though.
agreed ... if we could put harkless' mind in williams body .. man that would be a player .
Old 11-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Hes also a knucklehead.. i hope he can make it on the team all year.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
Stikboy
All-Conference

I tell you what man he just went off again last night for Wake. SMH. Dang!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote