ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 11-13-2021, 01:20 AM   #1
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,394
Default Team

This team is amazingly defensively. UTSA shot terribly & some Big12 teams will get some points, but OU contests everything and have good individual defenders. Offensively will be okay, T. Groves is built for this offense & plenty of solid scorers/movers.

Goldwire - Amazingly defensively. Solid distributor, average scorer. Taller than expected. Can he hit from peremiter consistently?
Gibson - Great shooter, good quickness & foot speed. Will struggle with bigger wings, but maybe him and Goldwire switch. Can he contribute when not shooting well?
Harkless - Same as last year, with slightly better shot. Great defender, strength, & toughness. Decent handles and distributor, how he shoots 3 will be key. Can he be a consistent scorer?
Hill - Most improved from returning players. Best defender, solid shot & handles for size, good movement off-ball. Can he be a consistent threat on offense?
T. Groves - Good shooter, passer, better athlete than expected. Built for Moser offense. Can he guard & rebound in big 12?
Chargois - Okay shooter, good passer & rebounder. Looks lost on defense, will determine minutes under Moser. Can he get better defensively?
J. Groves - Looked much better defensively than past 2 games, still not very good though. Very instinctive offensively and a great shooter. Can he rebound and guard?
Noland - Man-Child. Will get even better when losing unnecessary weight. Looks to be a future star with power, shot, & toughness. Looks like a more instinctive Harkless in time. Will he hit a freshman wall?
Mason - Really impressed with his feel for the game. Has a certain swagger about him. Needs to get stronger and more disciplined, but has gobs of potential, has a Jared Butler feel to him (game, not production). Can he run an offense?
Cortes - best passer on team, best in high school Oklahoma I've ever seen. Good handles, and much better defensively than in high school. Still needs to get a better body and needs to get open more effortlessly. Probably redshirt.
Issanza - Much improved, still probably a year away from contributing.
Maiwen - Great athlete, better reactions than expected. Doesn't look aggressive or any feel for the game though.
Johnson - I think he'll get kicked off before season ends, him coming back to Oklahoma was a big mistake. Great athleticism and can make highlight plays. Ball watches too much, really weak & wreckless. Could be a big contributor if he buys in.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #2
slappy in OP
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,588
Default Re: Team

If the 1st two games are the indicator, our defense will carry us to being competitive. We just need to make enough shots to win our fair share. Very excited by what I am seeing with this team.
slappy in OP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Johnson - I think he'll get kicked off before season ends, him coming back to Oklahoma was a big mistake. Great athleticism and can make highlight plays. Ball watches too much, really weak & wreckless. Could be a big contributor if he buys in.
not sure how you get this from last night??

do you have other info??
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
not sure how you get this from last night??

do you have other info??
Already been in trouble twice, I bet he’s on his last chance.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
jmizzy4ou
All-American
 
jmizzy4ou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
not sure how you get this from last night??

do you have other info??
I was wondering the same thing. Do we really know for sure he has been in trouble twice, or is that just message board conjecture? Not trying to be rude, just really wondering do we know that.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #6
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Do we really know for sure he has been in trouble twice, or is that just message board conjecture? Not trying to be rude, just really wondering do we know that.
Moser said the other day that he needs to take better care of his commitments on and off the court in order to work his way into the mix for meaningful playing time, so I think that strongly suggests that the DUI hasn’t been his only issue.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Already been in trouble twice, I bet he’s on his last chance.
he wasn't in trouble last week ...

that was a personal matter ..


so in trouble once ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,414
Default Re: Team

So hypothetically if he can stay out of trouble, will he get in the rotation?
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
So hypothetically if he can stay out of trouble, will he get in the rotation?
I’d think so but fully gaining the staff’s trust might be unlikely.

Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,414
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I’d think so but fully gaining the staff’s trust might be unlikely.

Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.
I love Moser's interviews/press conferences, and i've pretty much watched all of them I can. And it seems he's gone out of his way to not mention him. He only has one year. I don't know, I guess he might as well stay if Moser can't add anyone else for this year at this point(he can't). It's kind of disappointing because his style is exactly what OU could use right now. OU is kind of small/short at wing and could really use an athletic 6-6 slasher/athlete that can score. And that's pretty much what Johnson is..
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
he wasn't in trouble last week ...

that was a personal matter ..


so in trouble once ..
Lol sure. Dude is playing behind all 3 freshmen, he’s in the doghouse & 1 strike away from being kicked off.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #12
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,394
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I’d think so but fully gaining the staff’s trust might be unlikely.

Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.
You’re right, they are working on a new rule close to football. Where a player can play 6 games & still redshirt. For some reason I thought it was already in play.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,913
Default Re: Team

It's still way too early to say a lot about this team. I like some of the things I've seen but the competition going up fairly soon will really tell us where the team is at and if they can compete. I think the defense is probably good enough to keep a lot of games close though.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #14
jmizzy4ou
All-American
 
jmizzy4ou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,176
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Moser said the other day that he needs to take better care of his commitments on and off the court in order to work his way into the mix for meaningful playing time, so I think that strongly suggests that the DUI hasn’t been his only issue.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.....
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #15
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Team

On the other hand (just thinking out loud here), for him to get some minutes even at the end of a blowout suggests he might be working his way back into Coach Moser's good graces. Perhaps he's positioned in the backyard, halfway between the doghouse and the back door to the house.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #16
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,114
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
On the other hand (just thinking out loud here), for him to get some minutes even at the end of a blowout suggests he might be working his way back into Coach Moser's good graces. Perhaps he's positioned in the backyard, halfway between the doghouse and the back door to the house.
hopefully he won't get stuck in the doggy door when we start b12 play...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
Eielson
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,631
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
he wasn't in trouble last week ...

that was a personal matter ..


so in trouble once ..
Yeah, just a DUI and a sketchy entourage of friends. Recipe for success.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #18
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Yeah, just a DUI and a sketchy entourage of friends. Recipe for success.
there is no doubt he was very close to being off the team in the summer ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #19
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Team

on a more positive note ..


BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #20
Sooner Season
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 206
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Also, picking up on something in the OP, Cortes won’t be able to redshirt because he has already played. Only way he wouldn’t lose a year of eligibility is if he suffers a season ending injury like Kur in his first season at OU.
Even if he could redshirt, I'm pretty sure I saw a quote from Moser last week that nobody redshirts this year. I believe his words were "it's all hands on deck".
Sooner Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #21
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,752
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
Even if he could redshirt, I'm pretty sure I saw a quote from Moser last week that nobody redshirts this year. I believe his words were "it's all hands on deck".
this is correct ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #22
Jeopardude
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 91
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Season View Post
Even if he could redshirt, I'm pretty sure I saw a quote from Moser last week that nobody redshirts this year. I believe his words were "it's all hands on deck".
I like it.

Also, my wife is in love with Cortes and his long hair so she'll watch the games with me now.
Jeopardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #23
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,396
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeopardude View Post
I like it.

Also, my wife is in love with Cortes and his long hair so she'll watch the games with me now.
First time I saw Cortes on the floor, I thought HE was someone's wife.
JK
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:07 PM   #24
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,876
Default Re: Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
It's still way too early to say a lot about this team. I like some of the things I've seen but the competition going up fairly soon will really tell us where the team is at and if they can compete. I think the defense is probably good enough to keep a lot of games close though.
I agree, about all can be said is we are 2-0...
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #25
piehole
Walk-on
 
piehole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 165
Default Re: Team

Basketball redshirting is different than the old football rule (even one play = no redshirt). In hoops, I believe you can play in two or three, maybe four early games (not later in the season) and still redshirt. I seem to remember some Sampson players playing early and still redshirting. 99% sure that’s the rule anyway.

Maybe that has changed since COVID hit. And, like mentioned above, Moser said he has no intention to redshirt anyone, so moot issue perhaps.
piehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com