ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #26
Soonerguy06
Walk-on

Default Re: Usf

I agree with Syb, this team has potential be pretty darn good. I'm most impressed today with Taylor Robertson. She is so much better than I thought and she can keep up with the division I pace! Her and Madi were monsters today and the only thing that kept us in the game. I was impressed again with Jess and Tatum was steady. Shaina just tried to do too much and made some stupid mistakes. I saw a few things about EJ that I really wish she did all the time. The two different times she scored they looked really good aggressive plays. Simpson has improved this year and although she doesn't score much she is a better rebounder than she was last year. I wish nydia improved in a hurry because she's got the athleticism and the heights that we need - my question is will she be another EJ, a player that we know has potential, but never develops? She was fantastic in her high school highlight videos and not even a shell of that type of player in what I've seen these first three games. I think of course the freshmen are just going to get better so I think we will be surprisingly competitive with Texas, wouldn't be surprised if we took one off them this year. Fingers crossed to us developing a consistent post player, I think that is the key to our success this year.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #27
Sooner81
Walk-on

Maybe it’s just me, but Sherri’s teams for ALL her tenure have had One huge problem. Turnovers!!!! It continues on this team and until, and I don’t think it will ever change, it changes she will never come close to a championship. Yes she has won Big 12 ships with all the turnovers but I don’t believe with Texas and Baylor and WV she will in the future.

22 turnovers at home is tough to overcome but on the road will get you beat 95% of the time.

A zebra won’t change it’s stripes and I don’t believe Sherri will ever change this. If you don’t value the ball you won’t get the ships in my opinion.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #28
SoonerinNC
Starter

Too big problems. We are giving up too many easy treys and too many easy putbacks.

Hurt not having Ana today. Taylor 37 minutes and Simpson almost as many. Pellington's fouls made it worse. we were gassed going down the stretch and they just blew us away.

Taylor a great game. She just plays a good smart all around game. The inside foaters she hit were beautiful. What a steal. Pellington has to use better judgment. She had 5 assists with some nice dishes but forced her shot too much. I also thought the officials called a lot of questionable fouls on us.

Mercer just fills the score sheet. I had no idea that she was into double figures until I saw the box score.

Good to see Maddi look for offense. Shoots a line drive shot. Needs to arch it a bit more.

Sherri has always wanted her players to play fast and to take risks; thus the high turnover rate.

They had a good team even without their star. I'm happy we stayed in it as long as we did but disappointed with our depth. We are about 6 deep now. Going to wear our guys out at this rate.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #29
Mac
Administrator

The team played horrible defense the 1st half, some of the players where in zone at times while the others were in man... youth and not a lot of experience together played a part in that, coaching played another, not sure why the team would play a sagging zone vs a hot 3 point shooting team, the kids couldn’t recover in time, an adjustment was made, but it wasn’t consistent...

It looks like Penzo is the back up 4, the few minutes Dee got she played fast, but she does have some ability driving from the high post and wing, I think Sherri should go with her over Penzo and EJ, she needs minutes to gain confidence...

Shay seems to think she has to do it all by herself so far this season if Taylor doesn’t have an open look. I noticed Taylor is one of the only players Shay is willing to pass the ball back out to... I think Tatum needs to look for her offense more it will help open things up and take some of the pressure off of Shay...

Would love to see Madi play on the wing more, but her rebounding and toughness is needed inside this season, having her cover Ferreira wouldn’t have been a bad idea, but without Ana moving Madi away from the post on defense we just give up to much size....

We will probably struggle with Baylor a lot guarding 6’7 and 6’4 with 2 6foot players won’t be easy. This is where losing Mulkey to transfer really her the team, not only are we lacking a starting center, but it also put us behind in recruiting. I’m sure Sherri wasn’t looking for an elite post players in the 2017 class and I’m sure no elite post player was interested in OU... because Mulkey was a projected starter.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #30
j2d2
All-American

After years of hoping I no longer look for an emphasis on avoiding turnovers. And perimeter defense has never been our strong suit. Sometimes it's better but very rarely good. I was hoping that with our speedy freshmen and little experience that we would try to compensate with good defense. Robertson looks to me to be an all around good basketball player-she made some good passes and exhibited good basketball awareness.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #31
sybarite
National Champion

We essentially had four players who had decent games against USF, and they were all freshmen. If I had told you at the beginning of the year that we would play USF (#21) dead even for three quarters with the stars being Madi, Taylor, Tatum, and Jesse, I doubt you would have considered it a possibility. But, the four freshmen played USF dead even until some rather interesting calls and some fatigue set in.

I thought Jesse and Taylor were supposed to be a bit slow to play D1 ball? USF might have a different opinion.

Ana isn't available. Shania has to learn that she is a part of a team. If she will look up, they do pretty well. They are capable. She doesn't have to do it all. If Shania had played within herself, it would have helped considerably. We have seven players that we can trust: the three sophs and the four freshmen. EJ just hasn't improved. Penzo is not as good as she was at the end of last year. She needs to get it through her head that her zip passes work if you have strong and experienced interior players. We don't. A pass to EJ or Lampkin most likely will result in a turnover, either on the pass or their efforts. Get Shania and the four freshmen the ball.

Lampkin has the ability. But, she is trying to play too fast. If she will relax and slow down, she has enough ability to contribute. She is too raw to be a star. A year from now, she may be able to go full speed. Not yet. She is a turnover, missed layup that was rushed, or an offensive foul waiting to happen. Mostly, it comes from too fast, too soon.

It would have been wonderful to have a team of juniors and seniors to be available for Madi to work with. Unfortunately, we aren't working a freshman into four upperclassmen. We are trying to find a senior who might contribute something to our freshmen and sophomores.

We threw inexperience out there, and it played dead even with a good team. If you want some interesting reading, look at the play by play in the stat sheet. It was 50-50 when Shania got her fourth foul, about four or five left in the third. We were down two with a minute gone in the fourth. It is interesting how rapidly calling four straight offensive fouls on OU can change a game.

We will beat a couple of teams that we shouldn't. We really need for Ana to come back strong. I wonder if Aspen isn't better than EJ? We need to find one player inside.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #32
inoref
All-Conference

I think Usf will turn out to be a pretty good team come March. This year OU team could end up being better than what they showed Sunday. I've said it many times in the past OU teams will be about the same each year, maybe a bit better maybe a bit worse. Before anyone calls me a SC hater again this year I don't hate her at all. Fundamental OU women teams have been not so great..there still time to turn that around with such a young team..maybe
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #33
Soonercuda
All-Conference

This year we are paying for the poor recruiting from 3 and 4 years ago. Our run of making the NCAA tournament is likely ending this year...it is a rebuilding year. Seeing the team and individuals improve as the year goes on is what we need to see.
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonercuda View Post
This year we are paying for the poor recruiting from 3 and 4 years ago. Our run of making the NCAA tournament is likely ending this year...it is a rebuilding year. Seeing the team and individuals improve as the year goes on is what we need to see.
This is so so true.The recruiting has picked up the last year,but the swing & missing on many recruits will be felt this year.Go Sooners!!
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #35
sybarite
National Champion

By April, this team may be better than last year's team.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #36
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
By April, this team may be better than last year's team.
I can see that, or the youth could hold the team back some... right now we have 3 future all big 12 players in Shay, Taylor, and Madi... I thought we had a chance to beat USF without there all American, but it is a young team with a lack of size and playing in our 1st road game I can understand how the team lost it down the stretch, our next 3 games should be wins, OU has a talent advantage over all 3?teams...
Old 11-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #37
Rbeam1
Walk-on

We will more than likely play Tennessee in the Bahamas. I am pretty sure that will be a blowout unfortunately.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:57 PM   #38
Soonercuda
All-Conference

UAB is picked to win Conference USA. Auburn and New Mexico both on the road. All three of these games are losable. I can see I am much more worried about our youth than most of the posters on the board.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #39
sybarite
National Champion

I think we could lose the next three games easily. But, I like what I see in talent more than I have for a while.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #40
atlantasooner
All-Conference

This team's ceiling is much higher than last year.
But this team is paying the price for the recruiting woes of the past.
Zero seniors of note. Zero juniors of note. Zero upperclass post players.
And the Llanusa is hurt right now.

Now, I don't to dwell on that negative. By March, this group of sophomores/freshman will be vastly better.
And next year, you will have even more depth and talent to integrate into a much better overall roster.
Enjoy the ride this year, there are going to be times it looks great and it's going to look rough
other times.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #41
Sooner81
Walk-on

It is sad where this program has sunk to when posters on here are proud how we “played even through 3 quarters” with a team ranked 21st and missing their star player. Wake up, we LOST by 17 !!! The game is Not 3 quarters it is 4.

Used to be a proud program now an after thought. Unfortunately Sherri got lazy and hasn’t recruited for 5 years and coasted with her million dollar salary. IMO

We will get slaughtered by several teams in the Big-12 and on our schedule. UConn game could be a 50 point blow out. I used to go to all the games and watch the ones I couldn’t but not worth the time right now. Hope that changes sometime soon- with Sherri or without. I think a million per year could get OU a Fantastic coach.
Sooner81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #42
zacj33
Walk-on

I feel like this team is more talented and better than last years. Last years team always seemed to look for someone else to make a play. This group of freshmen are not afraid to make the big play or make a mistake trying to make a play. The mistakes that I see are mostly ones that will be fixed with more experience. We will be much better in Feb than we are now.
zacj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #43
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner81 View Post
It is sad where this program has sunk to when posters on here are proud how we “played even through 3 quarters” with a team ranked 21st and missing their star player. Wake up, we LOST by 17 !!! The game is Not 3 quarters it is 4.

Used to be a proud program now an after thought. Unfortunately Sherri got lazy and hasn’t recruited for 5 years and coasted with her million dollar salary. IMO

We will get slaughtered by several teams in the Big-12 and on our schedule. UConn game could be a 50 point blow out. I used to go to all the games and watch the ones I couldn’t but not worth the time right now. Hope that changes sometime soon- with Sherri or without. I think a million per year could get OU a Fantastic coach.
+1
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #44
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:

Seems like some on here are in the everyone is a winner, ribbons for all mode. This team is small and young, most of that falls on SC. Yeah I think they will get better..better as to challenge Baylor..NO. This season will end up like most others the last few years. But that's what makes the season fun isn't it?

Last edited by inoref; 11-20-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #45
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I think we could lose the next three games easily. But, I like what I see in talent more than I have for a while.
No doubt, Syb.

Some of you have still refused to look at the massive cost of playing almost all non-conference games on the road. Truly dumb! Especially with an almost all freshman team.

Those Caribbean games we decide to go to? Well, surely you recall the cheating mess we ran into against Kentucky a few years ago. They shot 53 free throws. We had 6 players foul out. And even with that we almost won. The game was decided before it started. We should never have been there. Why have we not learned that lesson?

And the so called "Big-12 vs. SEC Challenge"? Well in 5 years we still have not broken even on free throws in a single game. This will be our 4th road game (one was a sort of neutral site game in Little Rock where Arkansas shot 42 free throws) of the first 6, with one neutral site in OKC and exactly one home game (where Florida shot 30 free throws to our 8. That is not what is called a neutral situation.

The Big-12 has taken a firm stand against us, and our athletic administrators have yet to stand up for a fair chance for our kids. Shameful!!

So could we lose all 3? Obviously we could. The key question is will we have 5 players left to finish any of the games?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #46
jimmy
Walk-on

Quote:

Very true
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #47
atlantasooner
All-Conference

It's not mutually exclusive to be

1. Cognizant of the recruiting mistakes of the past, and how it has left this squad bereft of playermakers/leadership in the junior/senior classes.

2. Excited about young talent being brought to Norman in the present and future.

If you are impressed/excited about Madi Williams just wait until she's teamed with Liz Scott.
If you are excited about Murcer/Robertson just wait for Gabby Gregory.
Chloe Bloom could be the post we need to put it all together (along with a rapidly developing Lampkin)
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #48
Soonercuda
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasooner View Post
It's not mutually exclusive to be

1. Cognizant of the recruiting mistakes of the past, and how it has left this squad bereft of playermakers/leadership in the junior/senior classes.

2. Excited about young talent being brought to Norman in the present and future.

If you are impressed/excited about Madi Williams just wait until she's teamed with Liz Scott.
If you are excited about Murcer/Robertson just wait for Gabby Gregory.
Chloe Bloom could be the post we need to put it all together (along with a rapidly developing Lampkin)
I agree. The team should be on a steady upward climb for the next several years.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #49
inoref
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
No doubt, Syb.

Some of you have still refused to look at the massive cost of playing almost all non-conference games on the road. Truly dumb! Especially with an almost all freshman team.

Those Caribbean games we decide to go to? Well, surely you recall the cheating mess we ran into against Kentucky a few years ago. They shot 53 free throws. We had 6 players foul out. And even with that we almost won. The game was decided before it started. We should never have been there. Why have we not learned that lesson?

And the so called "Big-12 vs. SEC Challenge"? Well in 5 years we still have not broken even on free throws in a single game. This will be our 4th road game (one was a sort of neutral site game in Little Rock where Arkansas shot 42 free throws) of the first 6, with one neutral site in OKC and exactly one home game (where Florida shot 30 free throws to our 8. That is not what is called a neutral situation.

The Big-12 has taken a firm stand against us, and our athletic administrators have yet to stand up for a fair chance for our kids. Shameful!!

So could we lose all 3? Obviously we could. The key question is will we have 5 players left to finish any of the games?
Are you saying there some kind of conspiracy against OU women?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #50
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
Are you saying there some kind of conspiracy against OU women?
You always think everything is a conspiracy.

I am saying that playing most non-conference games on the road - especially with a mostly freshman team - is foolish. Those stats I showed are a clear explanation as to why that is a fact.

How many games have you seen in the past 5 years where a team had 6 players foul out?

Why is the conference making OU play all these Big-12 vs. SEC games on the road? The teams from Texas are not having to do that. That is why several teams left when the conference office was moved to Dallas. It is not actually about the women's team though. We should have left the Big-12 several years ago when it was imploding - as it still is.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote