ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #26
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Default Re: No more BallySports OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I watch on my tv as well, but it's still thru the ESPN+ app. It's just not very convenient.

I've also been very underwhelmed with the folks ESPN let's broadcast these games on ESPN+. I mean, some of those people should be embarrassed. It's that bad (IMO). Not saying Bally's has the best of the best, but some of those ESPN+ broadcasts are unbearable.
It's funny because there are people that think you don't watch sports if you don't have ESPN+. It's meh to me.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #27
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

https://soonersports.com/watch/?Arch...7&type=Archive
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #28
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
I watch on my tv as well, but it's still thru the ESPN+ app. It's just not very convenient.

I've also been very underwhelmed with the folks ESPN let's broadcast these games on ESPN+. I mean, some of those people should be embarrassed. It's that bad (IMO). Not saying Bally's has the best of the best, but some of those ESPN+ broadcasts are unbearable.
I concur. sometimes its mute for me. Feel like I could announce better!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #29
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
I concur. sometimes its mute for me. Feel like I could announce better!
You're both right in this instance.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #30
skyvue
National Champion

i never listen to national announcers when watching OU sports; I always sync to OU's radio broadcast. All I need is the picture, which I can get with ESPN+ and could never get with Bally. This is great for OU fans who don't live in Oklahoma or texas.

As for any OU fan not feeling proud of OU's amazing softball program, I can only shake my head. Gasso is softball's Saban.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:11 AM   #31
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

As for any OU fan not feeling proud of OU's amazing softball program, I can only shake my head. Gasso is softball's Saban.
Proud is one thing. But OU fans that NEVER watched a single softball game coming out of the wood work to watch and talk about OU softball now that they are elite, is just weird to me. I don't "fan" that way.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #32
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Proud is one thing. But OU fans that NEVER watched a single softball game coming out of the wood work to watch and talk about OU softball now that they are elite, is just weird to me. I don't "fan" that way.
We have a lot of fans who fan that way, unfortunately.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #33
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
That's assuming Bally actually aired them at the time, and on the channel, listed in the guide. I found that about 50 percent of games aired on a different channel than listed. And here is how incompetent they are: two KC Royals games in the past week simply didn't air because they didn't send the correct programming to the cable company. Instead, they sent old MMA shows to Cox cable, and the games were not aired at all.

Bally has awful production value on college sports. They rarely show things like the shot clock, team fouls, etc. I was hesitant to subscribe to ESPN+, but have been happier than expected since I took the plunge over a year ago. As a massive sports fan, it is worth $5/month. It not only gives you access to lots of OU games, but other sports, plus columns/articles on their website.
I can't count the times I've sat down to watch one of the coach's shows or something else on Bally that I recorded and found they had aired something else. I had several conflicts with women's basketball games this year and could watch them later in the evening on ESPN+.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #34
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
You "fan" in a very unusual manner yourself. I'll just leave it at that.

"Bandwagon" fans happen in every sport, in every city, in every state. Success always breeds interest. I'm not old enough to state it as fact, but I'm confident that OU football since Bud Wilkinson arrived in Norman has garnered much wider interest than it did before Bud. And if our down period of the '90s had extended into the 2000s and beyond, we'd have seen much less interest in Sooner football. It's human nature.

With softball (and other women's sports), it's been a different, bigger challenge. OU hasn't played the sport for even a half-century yet, and for many of those years, VERY few people cared or even knew much about women's sports. TV coverage was almost nil and people were still getting used to the idea of women's sports being an viable option for their viewership and support.

It's delightful to see young girls at OU softball games and basketball games be as thrilled to watch the Sooner women as I was at their age to watch the men. It's not that these fans are fairweather fans; they're brand new fans. That's a very different thing. We're watching a collegiate sport explode before our very eyes, with OU leading the way. And many of those young fans who are falling in love with the sport now will continue to support it for years to come.

Last edited by skyvue; 05-05-2022 at 10:51 AM.
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #35
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
BINGO. Plus, Softball as a sport is not fun to watch to me.

I don't like when others try to parade a sport on me because a team is good at it when the sport otherwise sucks.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #36
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Softball is a sport you support when OU is good and then try to make out like it's more popular, and more fun to watch than other sports. But when OU isn't good, you don't talk about it, nor care about it.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #37
skyvue
National Champion

The increase in the popularity of collegiate softball is not a matter of opinion; it's a documented fact. To name just one example: Last year's Women's College World Seri9es drew 59% more viewers than the Men's College World Series did.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:52 AM   #38
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
Softball is a sport you support when OU is good and then try to make out like it's more popular, and more fun to watch than other sports. But when OU isn't good, you don't talk about it, nor care about it.
I am biased because my daughter played college softball but, in my opinion, women's fastpitch softball is a far superior sport to baseball or women's basketball. It's fast-moving and the players are exceptionally skilled.

After about the fifth time a guy throws over to first base to "hold a runner on" I'm grabbing the remote to see if someone has filmed grass growing so I can watch something more exciting.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #39
BCSooners
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
I am biased because my daughter played college softball but, in my opinion, women's fastpitch softball is a far superior sport to baseball or women's basketball. It's fast-moving and the players are exceptionally skilled.

After about the fifth time a guy throws over to first base to "hold a runner on" I'm grabbing the remote to see if someone has filmed grass growing so I can watch something more exciting.
Not to mention the 8 pitching changes from the 6-9th innings.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #40
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Not to mention the 8 pitching changes from the 6-9th innings.
with the 3 batter min this no longer happens
Old 05-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #41
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:

Both sports have their pros and cons. College baseball coaches overmanage and the game drags. Softball is faster paced, but I can’t stand the substitution rules and sometimes even the best teams run the bases like a bunch of tee ball kids who don’t know the rules. But for people who don’t like baseball just because of the time element, just remember that college football games are worse than any other sporting event. I’m amazed more people don’t complain about that. The NFL does a lot of things wrong, but one thing they do well is get their games over in a three-hour window more often than not.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #42
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Both sports have their pros and cons. College baseball coaches overmanage and the game drags. Softball is faster paced, but I can’t stand the substitution rules and sometimes even the best teams run the bases like a bunch of tee ball kids who don’t know the rules. But for people who don’t like baseball just because of the time element, just remember that college football games are worse than any other sporting event. I’m amazed more people don’t complain about that. The NFL does a lot of things wrong, but one thing they do well is get their games over in a three-hour window more often than not.
It's not the length of time it's all the empty time. If there is some kind of action taking place then the length of the game doesn't bother me.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:50 PM   #43
skyvue
National Champion

I think OU actually runs the bases pretty effectively. They occasionally get caught, but overall, I think they do a good job. I think because of the shorter distance, taking risks on the basepaths pays off more often, but of course there are also more times when it doesn't.

I think Coach Gasso has her players take chances on the basepaths frequently in an attempt to put pressure on the other team and hopefully get them to commit errors. And it often works. But that kinds of gamesmanship happens much less often in baseball.

Last edited by skyvue; 05-05-2022 at 12:52 PM.
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #44
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
It's not the length of time it's all the empty time. If there is some kind of action taking place then the length of the game doesn't bother me.
Agree. But there is definitely lots of empty time in college football, too.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:01 PM   #45
steverocks35
Final Four

Typically in fastpitch softball the base-running is very aggressive. You want to put pressure on the defense and score by any means possible because it's a very defensive game.

If I was the Sooners coach however, I would never want to have a runner thrown at a base that could have been driven in by an all-American hitter.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #46
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Typically in fastpitch softball the base-running is very aggressive. You want to put pressure on the defense and score by any means possible because it's a very defensive game.

If I was the Sooners coach however, I would never want to have a runner thrown at a base that could have been driven in by an all-American hitter.
yep
Old 05-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #47
NickZepp
National Champion

I have't had anything with Ballysports for years so this is great. ESPN+ was pretty easy fore to use for the basketball games plus no longer having some convoluted way to watch the ppv. It'll be way cheaper and easier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #48
BCSooners
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
with the 3 batter min this no longer happens
Made it better, but the 6-9th innings are still taking a lot longer than the 1st 5.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #49
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
You "fan" in a very unusual manner yourself. I'll just leave it at that.

"Bandwagon" fans happen in every sport, in every city, in every state. Success always breeds interest. I'm not old enough to state it as fact, but I'm confident that OU football since Bud Wilkinson arrived in Norman has garnered much wider interest than it did before Bud. And if our down period of the '90s had extended into the 2000s and beyond, we'd have seen much less interest in Sooner football. It's human nature.

With softball (and other women's sports), it's been a different, bigger challenge. OU hasn't played the sport for even a half-century yet, and for many of those years, VERY few people cared or even knew much about women's sports. TV coverage was almost nil and people were still getting used to the idea of women's sports being an viable option for their viewership and support.

It's delightful to see young girls at OU softball games and basketball games be as thrilled to watch the Sooner women as I was at their age to watch the men. It's not that these fans are fairweather fans; they're brand new fans. That's a very different thing. We're watching a collegiate sport explode before our very eyes, with OU leading the way. And many of those young fans who are falling in love with the sport now will continue to support it for years to come.
Using OU football is a poor example. Yes, there are some bandwagon fans I suppose, but OU had incredible fan support even through the Blake years. Let OU softball fall to those levels and see what happens. Hint, it won't mimic what happened with OU football.
Old 05-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #50
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:

I just don't base my interest on a sport by how fast paced it is or isn't. I can equally enjoy an up and down basketball game and a game played at a much slower pace.

The skill shown in baseball far exceeds the skill shown in softball. My opinion of course. That is why it's (softball) played on a shorter field with shorter bases and a bigger ball. I've played a lot of sports. Hitting a round baseball being thrown 90+ mph with movement with a round bat is the hardest thing I've encountered in sports. It's tough. Like, your brain has 0.25 seconds or something to see the ball and decide if you are going to swing tough.