ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #51
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Default Re: Tanner and EJ stay - Mo exploring his Pro options

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
UNC isn't leading a charge in anything. They have zero 5 stars coming in next year, and while they're hitting the Portal. They won't have close to the talent the others have next year. Bacot and Love are gone, and those are the only 5 stars UNC has this year.
I was speaking more on the fact that they were willing to do the test cheating scandal so i imagine that they will be doing everything.. and not necessarily next year
Old 03-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #52
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
He is not an average offensive player. He is a below average shooter, passer, and handler. What other offensive skills are there?

And we lost 9 of the last 11 games he played. We then lost the first two he missed (and there is no way we were going to be the only team all season to win at Tech even if he played that game), then won four straight once we settled into a new lineup. It's also notable that one of the two wins in that 11-game stretch before his injury came when he was benched and only played four minutes at West Virginia.
Wait. Manek is a below average offensive player? Is that what I'm reading from you? A man that was named to an all Regional team. A man that has averaged 21.5 points per game (a March Madness best), and 8 rebounds is an average offensive player? Is that what I'm reading from you?
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:55 AM   #53
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
I was speaking more on the fact that they were willing to do the test cheating scandal so i imagine that they will be doing everything.. and not necessarily next year
I thought it was fake classes?

Anyway, they had to pay 15 million dollars to have the NCAA shut up. And from the looks of Hubert Davis's recruiting. They aren't doing "everything" by any means.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #54
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Wait. Manek is a below average offensive player? Is that what I'm reading from you? A man that was named to an all Regional team. A man that has averaged 21.5 points per game (a March Madness best), and 8 rebounds is an average offensive player? Is that what I'm reading from you?
Nope, it's not what you are reading from me, or should be, if you can follow the thread.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #55
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
I think he's talking about Harkless.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #56
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I think he's talking about Harkless.
Bingo. Thought that was obvious given (a) which post I quoted, and (b) all of the info in my post was clearly about Harkless and this year's team.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:55 AM   #57
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Bingo. Thought that was obvious given (a) which post I quoted, and (b) all of the info in my post was clearly about Harkless and this year's team.
Ah, gotcha. Harkless is fine. He's limited offensively. But he's okay.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #58
colston15
Starter

Quote:
He is not an average offensive player. He is a below average shooter, passer, and handler. What other offensive skills are there?

And we lost 9 of the last 11 games he played. We then lost the first two he missed (and there is no way we were going to be the only team all season to win at Tech even if he played that game), then won four straight once we settled into a new lineup. It's also notable that one of the two wins in that 11-game stretch before his injury came when he was benched and only played four minutes at West Virginia.
And yet the man paid millions of dollars to run the program wanted Harkless back and said it was huge to lose him during the season.

I think I'll trust Moser on talent ID/development.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #59
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
And yet the man paid millions of dollars to run the program wanted Harkless back and said it was huge to lose him during the season.

I notice you don't respond to the points I made but instead set up a strawman. I didn't say he isn't a useful player or that I don't want him back. He is a good defender and plays with great energy. If you think he is average or above average at the three offensive skills that I listed, I don't know what to tell you. And as for Porter's comments, he also said multiple times that we played our best basketball the last two or three weeks of the season.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #60
colston15
Starter

Quote:
I notice you don't respond to the points I made but instead set up a strawman. I didn't say he isn't a useful player or that I don't want him back. He is a good defender and plays with great energy. If you think he is average or above average at the three offensive skills that I listed, I don't know what to tell you. And as for Porter's comments, he also said multiple times that we played our best basketball the last two or three weeks of the season.
He was the only player on the team capable of creating his own shot for a majority of the season, which meant he was thrown the ball with the shot clock dwindling and asked to do something countless times. Totally unfair to him.

He's a good rebounder for his size, offensively and defensively as well.

I would like for him to improve his outside shot. He was 32% last season...if he can get to 35-37% that would be awesome.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:08 PM   #61
Eielson
All-American

Quote:

We also played our best basketball after he went down.

Also if you haven't seen people who are paid 7-figure salaries make mistakes, then I'm not sure what program you've been watching. It wasn't that long ago when our program recruited guys like Nick Thompson over Spangler...paycheck doesn't really justify that.

Harkless, like most of the guys I projected in the starting lineup last year, is a great player off the bench, but leaves plenty to be desired as a starter.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:20 PM   #62
allday92
Role Player

Quote:

Lol, I don't think Moser is going to publicly say anything else. Harkless can be a good player in a defined role. I think he'll be more comfortable in year 2 with Moser's structured offense. He had catastrophic turnovers this year, especially the @TCU game. At the same time, he's also a player that should be recruited over in the portal and not anyone to lose sleep over if he left.
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #63
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
He was the only player on the team capable of creating his own shot for a majority of the season, which meant he was thrown the ball with the shot clock dwindling and asked to do something countless times. Totally unfair to him.

He's a good rebounder for his size, offensively and defensively as well.

I would like for him to improve his outside shot. He was 32% last season...if he can get to 35-37% that would be awesome.
Creating a shot and making it are two different things. And many of his turnovers came early in the clock because he made poor decisions and thought he was a far better dribbler than he is. There is a reason he was benched. It happened too late for my liking, but hopefully the lesson sticks and he doesn’t make the same mistakes next year.

I’m fully supportive of him coming back, but we are a better team if he is a bench player who comes in and defends like a wild man, gets some easy baskets in transition, and makes shots when he is wide open. Some games, he might get things going and score 15+, but that shouldn’t be his role.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:45 PM   #64
Stikboy
All-American

In Harkless's first year, he had more assists than turnovers, much higher rebounding average, about the same shooting, and much better plus minus. He's a great defender. I'm not sure why he was such a turnover machine last year, but i'm willing to give him/Moser an offseason to correct it. I'm glad he's coming back. Second year in a new system..
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #65
CoachTalk
National Champion

The guy was sign sealed and almost delivered to USC.

This staff who I think most fans believes in…. Wanted him back and were able to convince him this is the best place for him.

Good enough for me.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #66
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
In Harkless's first year, he had more assists than turnovers, much higher rebounding average, about the same shooting, and much better plus minus. He's a great defender. I'm not sure why he was such a turnover machine last year, but i'm willing to give him/Moser an offseason to correct it. I'm glad he's coming back. Second year in a new system..
I think the term "great defender" gets thrown around WAY too much.

He is a good defender.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #67
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16

Bob is saying Cortes is back as well.

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 03-29-2022 at 06:49 PM.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #68
Sooner04
All-Conference

If we're already penciling in Harkless to start and play 30-35 minutes a game then I feel next year's ceiling will remain pretty low. We are in need of a talent infusion.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #69
mict085
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
The guy was sign sealed and almost delivered to USC.

This staff who I think most fans believes in…. Wanted him back and were able to convince him this is the best place for him.

Good enough for me.
Are you talking about harkless?

There would be an epic meltdown if we lost any players to USC.
mict085 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:39 PM   #70
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post

yep
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:42 PM   #71
TINY
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Bob is saying Cortes is back as well.
LFG! Need this kid!
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #72
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
If we're already penciling in Harkless to start and play 30-35 minutes a game then I feel next year's ceiling will remain pretty low. We are in need of a talent infusion.
We need to at least see guys that are not making an impact at all on the roster leave and get better athletes. Harkless is probably one of the better athletes we had so getting rid of him wouldn't really help unless we replace him. Issanza and Maiwein may be good kids but if we can let them off the scholarship and get better athletes I would be for it.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #73
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
We need to at least see guys that are not making an impact at all on the roster leave and get better athletes. Harkless is probably one of the better athletes we had so getting rid of him wouldn't really help unless we replace him. Issanza and Maiwein may be good kids but if we can let them off the scholarship and get better athletes I would be for it.
i have not given up on Maiwein he was pretty good as he got more min this year
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:00 PM   #74
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post

A kid that grew up there. Ok.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #75
SoonerDutch
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
A kid that grew up there. Ok.
If OU lost a club quidditch match to USC in the current environment, I think the fanbase would have a collective meltdown.
SoonerDutch is offline   Reply With Quote