ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-28-2022, 02:19 PM   #26
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Default Re: Tanner and EJ stay - Mo exploring his Pro options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Utterly ridiculous. It’s going to kill the college game.
It already has.

You know even the pro players are obsessed with playing on super teams.. thats the natural progression here and itll be kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC that lead the charge in the cheating/lame/dumb pay for play
Old 03-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #27
OUSKINS
Walk-on

Accept it or move on. Thatís the only real choice here. I hate that itís taken this turn, but I still want to follow college basketball and root for OU so I hope they become masters at this new game. Kinda wish theyíd just call it Free Agency because thatís what it is. Except without contracts. So FA resets every year for every player. You re-recruit your team every year now. I couldnít do it. Hoping Moser and company are good at it.
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #28
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
How about Alondes? He was on our bench and went out and proved to be the best player in the ACC.

Boulder is right, many of our fans donít have a great eye for talent.
So last year we had the ACC player of the year, Manek, and an NBA'er, and we put THAT team on the floor?

How does that happen? Lon that bad of a coach? Or maybe, regardless of the year they had this year, some of those guys aren't (or weren't) all you are making them out to be.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #29
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
i am not saying that EJ is going to go be a giant star ... but he had a bunch of power 6 basketball interest to transfer and to be a starter ..
We got better the less Harkless played IMO. He was terrible for much of the year. You like the +/- calc. He was terrible in conference, and was one of the worst starters OOC.

He is 100% replaceable via the Portal IMO.

But it shoudn't be weird that a P5 starter at a school that missed the Dance had interest to be a starter at other P5 schools.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #30
TINY
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
So last year we had the ACC player of the year, Manek, and an NBA'er, and we put THAT team on the floor?

How does that happen? Lon that bad of a coach? Or maybe, regardless of the year they had this year, some of those guys aren't (or weren't) all you are making them out to be.
Lon and staff did not get the most out of the team last year. I don’t think anyone can really argue that, at this point. He is still a damn good HoF-level coach.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #31
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Lon and staff did not get the most out of the team last year. I donít think anyone can really argue that, at this point. He is still a damn good HoF-level coach.
Last year is such a big what if. Had a great season going till the last two weeks of the regular season, then just collapsed down the stretch and it cost us big time. We had the team to make it to the second weekend of the tournament, but that four-game skid cost us several seed lines and forced us into that Gonzaga game. Very disappointing that we couldnít get things righted during that period.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #32
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:

WT, I have asked myself those same questions?

Was the transfer portal a magical formula for the players we lost? Manek transferred to another school and became a key in leading them to a FF. Williams went from a player off of the bench at OU to an ACC star at Wake Forest. Kur Kuath progressed quickly from a sub to a starter at Marquette. Da’Vion Harmon was thought to be a disappointment by some, but he started at Oregon, a P5 school, and played quite well in the second half of the season

So, was a change in scenery and a new start at another school just what the basketball doctor ordered for these players, or was there dissension on the team we didn’t know about? Was our coaching staff to blame? That’s not an excuse I subscribe to, but I was not too pleased with the assistants Lon brought in after Steve Henson and the late Lew Hill left, especially their player development skills.

Is it possible my complaint was warranted, or was the sudden improvement we saw from our departed players serendipity at OU’s expense?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #33
CoachTalk
National Champion

Cj is back!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #34
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Cj is back!
https://twitter.com/BPrzybylo/status...95583061221378
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #35
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Cj is back!
Very good news. Whether he turns into a stud or simply a good starter, it is important to keep a guy like him around.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #36
TINY
All-American

Quote:
Cj is back!
Huge!
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:28 PM   #37
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Cj is back!
Great news! I thought from the beginning he had potential and nothing I saw changed my mind. Good for you, CJ!!!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #38
ouboomer
Role Player

Now need 1 more to confirm they are back and that bumps up the number to 5 which would mean 1 more returning next season than the previous and that would be progress...
ouboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #39
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16

Mo just posted his highlights

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:44 PM   #40
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Last year is such a big what if. Had a great season going till the last two weeks of the regular season, then just collapsed down the stretch and it cost us big time. We had the team to make it to the second weekend of the tournament, but that four-game skid cost us several seed lines and forced us into that Gonzaga game. Very disappointing that we couldn’t get things righted during that period.
agree. skid is a strong word to me.....lost @ KSU which is Lon's MO (even though i like Lon).....and twice to Cade Cunningham when our "go Austin Reeves" strategy i don't like when we have Harmon, Harkless, and Manek who can all score the ball....in the last minutes.

and Texas.

wouldn't call it a skid but hard row. we played good basketball teams and maybe our coach let us down a little....

i agree that was a team that could have made it to the second weekend.

Last edited by sanguinetti; 03-28-2022 at 06:48 PM.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #41
NickZepp
National Champion

Mo has a good quick release but I'm not sure he can defend at the NBA level and he's not that big. I think he's probably better off staying in college.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #42
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Mo has a good quick release but I'm not sure he can defend at the NBA level and he's not that big. I think he's probably better off staying in college.
Iím guessing he isnít talking/thinking NBA. More likely he is gauging which overseas leagues might be interested.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #43
allday92
Role Player

Quote:
How about Alondes? He was on our bench and went out and proved to be the best player in the ACC.

Boulder is right, many of our fans donít have a great eye for talent.

Quote:

I think it's more just a role and fit thing.

Alondes was really successful this year, but he also had a higher usage percentage than Reaves had last year for OU. 28.9% vs 27.7%. Maybe the best role for Alondes was to be the primary ballhandler and Lon envisioned that for him. It just wasn't going to happen with Reaves and Harmon above him in the pecking order. It would have been interesting to see a Harmon/Alondes backcourt if Lon didn't retire. As great as Alondes was he still couldn't lead his team to an NCAA tournament bid.

Manek had a great year, but he played in a less physical conference and finally played next to a legit center. Armando Bacot is 6'10 240lbs. He's a better fit next to Brady than someone like Kuath or McNeace. And this is UNC's starting lineup outside of Brady:

Caleb Love - 5 star, 14th best prospect class of 2020
Leaky Black - 4 star, 71st best prospect class of 2018
Armando Bacot - 5 star, 27th best prospect class of 2019
RJ Davis - 4 star, 50th best prospect class of 2020.

Brady is going to look and fit better next to the talent at UNC compared to the talent at OU. Happy for him he found a situation that accentuated his shooting skill.
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:00 PM   #44
dksooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday92 View Post
I think it's more just a role and fit thing.

Alondes was really successful this year, but he also had a higher usage percentage than Reaves had last year for OU. 28.9% vs 27.7%. Maybe the best role for Alondes was to be the primary ballhandler and Lon envisioned that for him. It just wasn't going to happen with Reaves and Harmon above him in the pecking order. It would have been interesting to see a Harmon/Alondes backcourt if Lon didn't retire. As great as Alondes was he still couldn't lead his team to an NCAA tournament bid.

Manek had a great year, but he played in a less physical conference and finally played next to a legit center. Armando Bacot is 6'10 240lbs. He's a better fit next to Brady than someone like Kuath or McNeace. And this is UNC's starting lineup outside of Brady:

Caleb Love - 5 star, 14th best prospect class of 2020
Leaky Black - 4 star, 71st best prospect class of 2018
Armando Bacot - 5 star, 27th best prospect class of 2019
RJ Davis - 4 star, 50th best prospect class of 2020.

Brady is going to look and fit better next to the talent at UNC compared to the talent at OU. Happy for him he found a situation that accentuated his shooting skill.
Great take here
dksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #45
Stikboy
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksooner View Post
Great take here
Yep. I'd been thinking about that regarding the Brady part. Well said.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #46
skyvue
National Champion

Brady was also healthy this season. Big difference from last season.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #47
colston15
Starter

Quote:
We got better the less Harkless played IMO. He was terrible for much of the year. You like the +/- calc. He was terrible in conference, and was one of the worst starters OOC.

He is 100% replaceable via the Portal IMO.

But it shoudn't be weird that a P5 starter at a school that missed the Dance had interest to be a starter at other P5 schools.
This is such a clueless take. We went in the tank following his injury. But I guess that's just coincidence since he had some bad games (like every player) before that.

He's an average offensive player right now, (I expect him to improve next season) but is very solid defensively and we would not just easily replace him in the portal. Many thought that about Manek, Kuath, etc. and how did that turn out?
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:19 AM   #48
mict085
All-American

When are we going to know if Mo is coming back or 100% gone? We have to add through the portal quickly.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #49
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
It already has.

You know even the pro players are obsessed with playing on super teams.. thats the natural progression here and itll be kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC that lead the charge in the cheating/lame/dumb pay for play
UNC isn't leading a charge in anything. They have zero 5 stars coming in next year, and while they're hitting the Portal. They won't have close to the talent the others have next year. Bacot and Love are gone, and those are the only 5 stars UNC has this year.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #50
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
This is such a clueless take. We went in the tank following his injury. But I guess that's just coincidence since he had some bad games (like every player) before that.

He's an average offensive player right now, (I expect him to improve next season) but is very solid defensively and we would not just easily replace him in the portal. Many thought that about Manek, Kuath, etc. and how did that turn out?
He is not an average offensive player. He is a below average shooter, passer, and handler. What other offensive skills are there?

And we lost 9 of the last 11 games he played. We then lost the first two he missed (and there is no way we were going to be the only team all season to win at Tech even if he played that game), then won four straight once we settled into a new lineup. It's also notable that one of the two wins in that 11-game stretch before his injury came when he was benched and only played four minutes at West Virginia.