ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 05-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #1876
colston15
Starter

Default Re: Transfer Portal Thread

The Groves brothers should not be starters on a contending team in the Big 12.

They could both be solid bench pieces, but are really limited by their lack of athleticism.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #1877
TINY
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
The Groves brothers should not be starters on a contending team in the Big 12.

They could both be solid bench pieces, but are really limited by their lack of athleticism.
Jacob groves would start on almost every big 12 team.

Edit: meant Tanner, not Jacob.

Last edited by TINY; 05-14-2022 at 04:05 PM.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:40 PM   #1878
colston15
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Jacob groves would start on almost every big 12 team.
Yet he couldnít start on a team that finished 19Ė16. Itís preposterous to say the above. I canít think of a single team he would start for other than Kansas State.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #1879
OkieTC
Walk-on

I think maybe he meant Tanner would start? Obviously Jacob is more at a reserve level right now.
OkieTC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #1880
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16

According to this NM admin, Allick canceled his Clemson visit

https://www.thelairnm.com/community/postid/1195601/

I don't have access to the Clemson rivals site and 247/ON3's Clemson coverage is terrible...so I can't see confirmation from that side.

If true, then it's obviously OU, BYU, or UNM.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #1881
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
According to this NM admin, Allick canceled his Clemson visit

https://www.thelairnm.com/community/postid/1195601/

I don't have access to the Clemson rivals site and 247/ON3's Clemson coverage is terrible...so I can't see confirmation from that side.

If true, then it's obviously OU, BYU, or UNM.
We gotta win on this one.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #1882
TINY
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
Yet he couldnít start on a team that finished 19Ė16. Itís preposterous to say the above. I canít think of a single team he would start for other than Kansas State.
My bad, I meant Tanner.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #1883
Stikboy
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
We gotta win on this one.
I agree. Hopefully the fact that we're not hearing about going after any other posts(at least I haven't) is a good sign. Or, it could mean we're just screwed and there's nobody worth taking left. Moser and his staff have recruited well so far(at least guards) but I can't believe we're sweating a 3 horse race between us New Mexico and BYU. What is the world coming to.

It may be.....Northweather time!
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #1884
colston15
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
My bad, I meant Tanner.
You really think he'd start at Baylor, Texas, Kansas, or Tech? We see him much differently if that's the case.

He's a good, solid role player at the Power 5 level, imo.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #1885
Eielson
All-American

Tanner is just good enough that he's not easy to find a better replacement, but not quite good enough that you feel great about him in the starting lineup.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #1886
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Tanner is just good enough that he's not easy to find a better replacement, but not quite good enough that you feel great about him in the starting lineup.
Yes. He matches up ok against some teams and is a liability against others A pretty good offensive guy. He needs an athletic goon type guy to counter him on the roster.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #1887
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #1888
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
We lost a recruit to New Mexico? Wow
Old 05-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #1889
colston15
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
We lost a recruit to New Mexico? Wow
Unless they have another big man in the pipeline, I would just go find another scoring guard and live with what we have in the post now.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #1890
OkieTC
Walk-on

Uhg. Wasn’t too concerned. At first. Now? I mean, are we just being outbid or what?
OkieTC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:26 PM   #1891
Stikboy
All-American

What the actual.....

Here I am wanting to compete with blue bloods to get bigs and we get beat out by New Mexico? LOL. Hmm

Do these other coaches have some sort of ammo on Moser and bigs? What's the deal? New Mexico?
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #1892
Boom Soon
Walk-on

I'll start out by saying I have no real idea if Allick would have made an impact at OU. He very well might have. Good luck to him. But here's my opinion:

I wonder if this is a case of OU almost recruiting too low. He's very much like Hill and Jacob Groves. Same size, skill set, etc. Kind of a tweener. And the team needs a banger. A real big man who is athletic enough to compete with bigs from the Big 12. He doesn't have to score much, but be able to get rebounds and defend. And I don't think Allick is that guy. Something tells me he wants to have the ball in his hands more and score. Something tells me New Mexico probably has an instant spot for him. At OU, he would have to compete with Hill, the Grove Brothers, AND potentially the kid from Germany (don't want to misspell his name) for minutes. So I'm not worried that OU missed on Allick. I don't think he's what OU needs this year. He can go to a mid-major, have an instant spot, and play a tonne. Maybe he just didn't want to play in the Big 12. My concern is that OU was even interested in him. That shows that there may not be much out there.

Moser and company doesn't have problems landing big men. They don't.

The staff has brought in alot of big men: Tanner Groves, Chagois, Mawein, Godwin, and Northweather.

It may be weird to fans but maybe guys DON'T want to have to come in and compete with Tanner Groves for the starting spot. I don't know. But I don't think the problem is Moser's inability to recruit big men.

Wrap up Sherfield and Walker's commitment, then try for one more guy. Be it a real big man who's ready to play or another scoring guard. Then let's go.

Last edited by Boom Soon; 05-15-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Boom Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #1893
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Soon View Post
I'll start out by saying I have no real idea if Allick would have made an impact at OU. He very well might have. Good luck to him. But here's my opinion:

I wonder if this is a case of OU almost recruiting too low. He's very much like Hill and Jacob Groves. Same size, skill set, etc. Kind of a tweener. And the team needs a banger. A real big man who is athletic enough to compete with bigs from the Big 12. He doesn't have to score much, but be able to get rebounds and defend. And I don't think Allick is that guy. Something tells me he wants to have the ball in his hands more and score. Something tells me New Mexico probably has an instant spot for him. At OU, he would have to compete with Hill, the Grove Brothers, AND potentially the kid from Germany (don't want to misspell his name) for minutes. So I'm not worried that OU missed on Allick. I don't think he's what OU needs this year. He can go to a mid-major, have an instant spot, and play a tonne. Maybe he just didn't want to play in the Big 12. My concern is that OU was even interested in him. That shows that there may not be much out there.

The staff has brought in alot of big men: Tanner Groves, Chagois, Mawein, Godwin, and Northweather.

It may be weird to fans but maybe guys DON'T want to have to come in and compete with Tanner Groves for the starting spot. I don't know. But I don't think the problem is Moser's inability to recruit big men.

Wrap up Sherfield and Walker's commitment, then try for one more guy. Be it a real big man who's ready to play or another scoring guard. Then let's go.
Def agree with your take on this umkc kid. I live in kcÖ they arenít good not thinking heís true top big12 material.

I do though that if moser was recruiting him it does reflect staffs lack of ability in getting HIGH quality bigs.. but weíll see
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #1894
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Again, this is a strawman because the question is whether we are better with the new guys than with Mo and EJ. Jacob only came up because someone suggested we would have made the tourney with Harkless, which is a patently ridiculous take if you actually watched how the season progressed with and without him last year. As for advanced analytics, I wonder what they say about a guard who is a poor shooter and a downright atrocious ball handler and passer. I personally think we will survive just fine without his 10 points and 20 terrible decisions per game, despite his so-called leadership.

Eh. I was just making a point, which you clearly ignored. Jacob was atrocious the majority of the season, besides a game or two.

At this point right now, I'm not 100% sure we're a better team than we were last year. We have no backup big. Our PG situation on paper isn't the best. We're depending on Freshmen. Granted, 2 are talented and 1 is a wild card. But still. Plus, the two guys that have to ask for waivers could be denied for all we know. If Harkless and Gibson stay, and the ones asking for waivers get their waivers. Yeah, we're better than last year. But right now? Not so sure.

Thinking Harkless was worse than Groves last year is well a "bad take."
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:56 AM   #1895
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Def agree with your take on this umkc kid. I live in kcÖ they arenít good not thinking heís true top big12 material.

I do though that if moser was recruiting him it does reflect staffs lack of ability in getting HIGH quality bigs.. but weíll see
Yeah, it's pretty telling the lack of decent-good bigs we've been able or not able in this instance to recruit this offseason.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #1896
mict085
All-American

Iím not worried about losing out on allick. I donít think heís a Big12 player anyway. The troubling thing is apparently we wanted him and lost out to New Mexico. Ouch.

I donít want this staff chasing players that canít cut it in the Big12. I love the recruiting class of HS players we have coming in. The transfer portal has been hit and miss. We definitely need more hits instead of just bringing in bodies. Sherfield and basmile are wins. The rest has been less than inspiring.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:29 AM   #1897
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
Eh. I was just making a point, which you clearly ignored. Jacob was atrocious the majority of the season, besides a game or two.

At this point right now, I'm not 100% sure we're a better team than we were last year. We have no backup big. Our PG situation on paper isn't the best. We're depending on Freshmen. Granted, 2 are talented and 1 is a wild card. But still. Plus, the two guys that have to ask for waivers could be denied for all we know. If Harkless and Gibson stay, and the ones asking for waivers get their waivers. Yeah, we're better than last year. But right now? Not so sure.

Thinking Harkless was worse than Groves last year is well a "bad take."
Again, no one on the board has argued in any post that Jacob had a better season than Harkless. So you can keep debating this, but youíll be debating yourself.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:28 AM   #1898
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:

I mean, that is certainly the "the glass is half full" outlook.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #1899
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:

If they watched any OU basketball at all why would they worry about Tanner Groves? He's an average big man, barely Big 12 level. He's slow and not very athletic. He's a pretty good shooter from the top of the key and he's fairly skilled around the basket against smaller players, but other than that he's average.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:55 AM   #1900
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
If they watched any OU basketball at all why would they worry about Tanner Groves? He's an average big man, barely Big 12 level. He's slow and not very athletic. He's a pretty good shooter from the top of the key and he's fairly skilled around the basket against smaller players, but other than that he's average.
At least Tanner knows his issues. Hopefully he's in the gym, or court working on his game as I type this.