ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2022, 11:39 AM   #126
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelstateSooner View Post
https://247sports.com/Article/North-...23f3cf42b43371

Boeheim literally stated Walker Keesler leaving was the main reason Roy retired. He didn't like the idea of recruiting a guy for years, and for him to just up and leave. I live in the Triangle, I think I would know.

And lastly, it's been reported (by Jeff Goodman) that Wright hated the idea of working all the time and never having a day off because of the Portal and having to go into the Portal to build his team. But yeah man, those hypotheticals, right?

I'm sure K has loved the idea of the Portal too. Just like all these other older Coaches love the Portal. Right? Oh no. That doesn't make sense. My fault.
And Roy himself has said the portal and NIL didn't factor in and that he retired because he didn't feel like he was doing a good job anymore. But I should know better than to argue with you -- of course you know all when it comes to anything that happens in the triangle. Apparently just living there puts you in the inner circle. Although it apparently doesn't help you handicap the Heels chances of beating Kansas.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #127
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 340
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
And Roy himself has said the portal and NIL didn't factor in and that he retired because he didn't feel like he was doing a good job anymore. But I should know better than to argue with you -- of course you know all when it comes to anything that happens in the triangle. Apparently just living there puts you in the inner circle. Although it apparently doesn't help you handicap the Heels chances of beating Kansas.
You think Roy would tell the truth on something like that, which could hinder recruiting for UNC when it's already been subpar from his earlier performances in the mid 2000's? Yeah, I think not. And I know some people that have told me that he retired because he didn't want to deal with this mess.

UNC was up 15 at Halftime. Spare me. Most of you guys were talking yourself into thinking Kansas could blow UNC out. Which funny enough, was close to the opposite.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #128
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,168
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and NIL. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so I can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #129
Stikboy
All-American
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,659
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and NIL. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so I can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now
100%

Except the ones with the deep-pocketed alumni.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #130
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,657
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Not overly important, but the KC coach is going to Clemson to be an assistant. Weird but whatever.
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #131
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,373
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Not overly important, but the KC coach is going to Clemson to be an assistant. Weird but whatever.
likely a pay raise
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #132
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 340
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerbounce13 View Post
personally, if you put truth serum into most coaches, they would probably despise the portal and nil. I don't think most would admit it openly though. And investing in a player just for them to up and leave has to be frustrating for a coach so i can see some of the older ones just not thinking it is worth it anymore. It is a completely different game now
bingo. Thisx100.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #133
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 340
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
100%

Except the ones with the deep-pocketed alumni.
I would be shocked if Duke wasn't putting money into whatever fund for NIL.

Last edited by TarheelstateSooner; 04-21-2022 at 02:00 PM.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #134
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Thanks to NIL, the reigning national POY is returning for another season. He likely wouldn't have been a first-round pick, but he likely would have declared if not for the fact he is going to get a lot of money for coming back to UK. NIL has its flaws because the NCAA was too shortsighted to come up with a set of rules for it, but it isn't universally bad. If it leads some kids to stick around rather than go overseas or hope to be a second round pick, it will have some benefit to the college game.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:05 PM   #135
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 340
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Thanks to NIL, the reigning national POY is returning for another season. He likely wouldn't have been a first-round pick, but he likely would have declared if not for the fact he is going to get a lot of money for coming back to UK. NIL has its flaws because the NCAA was too shortsighted to come up with a set of rules for it, but it isn't universally bad. If it leads some kids to stick around rather than go overseas or hope to be a second round pick, it will have some benefit to the college game.
That and it allows teams to pay for families to come to away games and come to the home games if they live far away. Those are about the only two positives I can think of.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #136
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,564
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Terrific article in The Athletic explaining Jay Wright’s decision. He actually informed his AD before the Big East tourney but insisted no one else know because he didn’t want to take the spotlight off his players and their seasons. Quite the contrast with the former Duke coach. In a nutshell, the article says he was always a guy who was consumed with basketball 365 days a year and couldn’t ever really relax. When he sensed that his focus wasn’t all the way there this season, he knew it was time to walk away.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #137
TarheelstateSooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 340
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Terrific article in The Athletic explaining Jay Wright’s decision. He actually informed his AD before the Big East tourney but insisted no one else know because he didn’t want to take the spotlight off his players and their seasons. Quite the contrast with the former Duke coach. In a nutshell, the article says he was always a guy who was consumed with basketball 365 days a year and couldn’t ever really relax. When he sensed that his focus wasn’t all the way there this season, he knew it was time to walk away.
Correct. At his PC it seemed to be a shot at K when he said he didn't want to make it about him. Roy Williams, and Wright went out the right way. K on the other hand............not so much.
TarheelstateSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #138
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,657
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:03 AM   #139
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,149
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Cade Davis is leaving the GA spot. Just fyi.

HS hired him.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #140
NAIA All-Star
Sweet 16
 
NAIA All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 3,657
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Cade Davis is leaving the GA spot. Just fyi.

HS hired him.
Great news for Cade. OK?
NAIA All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #141
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,149
Default Re: Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIA All-Star View Post
Great news for Cade. OK?
Yes. Cassidy HS. Went with shepherd.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com