ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #101
oSuJeff97
Starter

Default Re: Will the Big 12 Tournament come back to OKC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I don't think a city should be punished for the actions of a school 150 miles down the road.

It's not like the Fighting Kangaroos of UMKC decided to bail on the Big 12.
This may be semantics, but I don't consider it "punishing" Kansas City... I consider it "not rewarding them."

The difference being that saying you're "punishing" KC would mean that they somehow "deserve" to host.

Nobody deserves to host... it's a reward to cities/states for supporting the conference.

Right or wrong, the actions of the University of Missouri can and will affect the cities in Missouri and the state of Missouri, when it comes to how much economic impact they get from the conference that they abandoned.
oSuJeff97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #102
badger
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Don't try to confuse him with facts
FACT: We helped Mizzou's strength of schedule more than they helped ours.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #103
bocabull
Banned

Host the thing at Allen Field house in the years KC was getting the rotation. Just make sure Kansas only has access to the same amount of tickets they would at Sprint.

Rotate between KU, OKC & Dallas. Nobody can argue that one.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #104
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Host the thing at Allen Field house in the years KC was getting the rotation. Just make sure Kansas only has access to the same amount of tickets they would at Sprint.

Rotate between KU, OKC & Dallas. Nobody can argue that one.
Seriously? Nobody can argue with KU holding this thing on their homecourt? lol
Old 11-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #105
seniorsooner
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What point exactly are you trying to make? I never said OU's schedule was weak. My argument is that the schedule MU currently plays is not easier than what they'll see in the SEC. I'll grant you that OU's schedule is certainly difficult, as well.

MU's schedule—TODAY—is ranked as the toughest in the country. That will likely come down over the final two weeks, but the fall won't be significant enough to really change my point.

All 10 current Big 12 schools are in the top 13 in sos. The SEC's average: 25. The SEC's bottom feeders are also currently weaker than the Big 12's worst. kansas is the only Big 12 outside the current top 45 in the Sagarin ratings (kansas is in the 80s). Both Kentucky and Ole Miss are lower than ku.

Another way to look at it: the current average Sagarin rating for MU's opponents this year is 46. Compare that to a hypothetical SEC schedule that includes games against all east teams, A&M and LSU in the west, Arizona State, Miami (OH) and Southern Illinois (already on the schedule) and kansas as the 12th game (they are still under contract to play MU once more in Arrowhead). That schedule's average opponent ranking: 53. And that's really a worst-case scenario. If MU were to draw Mississippi instead of LSU as its first west opponent (a best-case for MU), that drops to 63. There's really no scenario where the schedule gets harder.

Of course, that's using this year's rankings. Things can change. As long as the Big 12 is playing 9 conference games, though, its schedules will be among the toughest in the country.
You said Missouri will likely finish 7-5 against "the nation's toughest schedule". So, my point was to debunk that specific statement, which I have. That's all.
seniorsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #106
bocabull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Seriously? Nobody can argue with KU holding this thing on their homecourt? lol
Of course you can WT. You have shown the ability to argue about all sorts of things you don't understand.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #107
oSuJeff97
Starter

Quote:
Of course you can WT. You have shown the ability to argue about all sorts of things you don't understand.
Most ironic post in the history of OUhoops.com?

Quite possibly.
oSuJeff97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #108
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
<yawn>

Most every opinion you have is in the minority. But carry on. You make me laugh.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #109
badger
Starter

Punish KC? No, no, no. Punish the entire state of Missouri.

You can't tell me that their legislators couldn't have stepped in and said "We fund you, you're not going anywhere but the Big Ten or the Big 12."

They didn't, and their esteemed board of executors, or trustees, or whatever the hell they call their regents, voted them toward the SEC.

Make your bed and sleep in it, entire state of Missouri.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #110
Sawyer
Banned

I don't think the state of Missouri's going to be hurting because they lose a weekend basketball tournament every few years, nor should the decision to move have been based in any way on the economic cost of the tournament.

I sure never heard anyone wondering about the impact losing tournaments would have on OKC if OU and OSU left for the Pac 12.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #111
bocabull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I don't think the state of Missouri's going to be hurting because they lose a weekend basketball tournament every few years, nor should the decision to move have been based in any way on the economic cost of the tournament.

I sure never heard anyone wondering about the impact losing tournaments would have on OKC if OU and OSU left for the Pac 12.
Of course that is apples to oranges because OU is the flagship program of the conference while Missouri is an also ran below OSU.