ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
OUHoops
Administrator

Default Will the Big 12 Tournament come back to OKC?

http://newsok.com/will-the-big-12-ba...adlines_widget
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Re: Will the Big 12 Tournament come back to OKC?

Big 12 Tournament, live from:

The Charleston Civic Center
Charleston, West Virginia
Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
badger
Starter

I totally support never going back to KC ever again and giving the tourney to OKC/Tulsa/Dallas instead.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
oSuJeff97
Starter

Yeah - I do think the big upside of Mizzou leaving the Big 12 is that both OKC and Tulsa are now in play for future Big 12 basketball tournaments.

I get that KC is close to KU, but still... can you have the conference tournament in a state that doesn't include a single team from your conference?
oSuJeff97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
BoulderSooner
Administrator

tulsa has little to no chance ...

OKC/Dallas are the future homes of big 12 basketball
BoulderSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
Uhh.....okay.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
campbest
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by oSuJeff97 View Post
Yeah - I do think the big upside of Mizzou leaving the Big 12 is that both OKC and Tulsa are now in play for future Big 12 basketball tournaments.

I get that KC is close to KU, but still... can you have the conference tournament in a state that doesn't include a single team from your conference?
Las Vegas hosts the West Coast Conference.

I would be ok with a rotation between KC, OKC and Dallas. Personally I love going to the tournament in KC, always have a great time.
campbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
seniorsooner
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
not YET, you should say. Tulsa doesn't have the hotel rooms yet. Someday, they will.
seniorsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorsooner View Post
not YET, you should say. Tulsa doesn't have the hotel rooms yet. Someday, they will.
What?

We might not be overflowing with hotel rooms in the downtown area, but we have enough to host an NCAA pod. I'm sure we could handle the Big 12 Tournament.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
seniorsooner
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
We might not be overflowing with hotel rooms in the downtown area
That's what I was referring to. To Tulsa's credit they are on their way to building up the amount of hotel rooms in/around the downtown area. The other consideration is that in the past hasn't the Big 12 wanted there to be two separate facilities available to host the men's/women's tournaments? Where would the women play? The Reynolds Center?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorsooner View Post
That's what I was referring to. To Tulsa's credit they are on their way to building up the amount of hotel rooms in/around the downtown area. The other consideration is that in the past hasn't the Big 12 wanted there to be two separate facilities available to host the men's/women's tournaments? Where would the women play? The Reynolds Center?

The Reynolds Center or Maybee Center. Reynolds is a better facility. Maybee probably has better parking.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
The Reynolds Center or Maybee Center. Reynolds is a better facility. Maybee probably has better parking.
The Mabee Center would be way better for this type of deal than the Reynolds Center. Better part of town, way better parking, more seating, etc.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
oSuJeff97
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
What?

We might not be overflowing with hotel rooms in the downtown area, but we have enough to host an NCAA pod. I'm sure we could handle the Big 12 Tournament.
This.

The idea that Tulsa could not host the Big 12 basketball tournament is beyond ridiculous.

There are enough hotel rooms to host the NCAA Tournament this past year and the freaking U.S. Open and other golf majors at Southern Hills.

Not to mention that at least 3 new hotels will be opened downtown by the time the Big 12 Tournament would come to Tulsa.

As a side note - Tulsa/Grand Lake was just announced as the site for the 2013 Bassmaster Classic. (It sounds funny, but don't laugh - it's an event that will draw 75-100K people.)

Quote:
The other consideration is that in the past hasn't the Big 12 wanted there to be two separate facilities available to host the men's/women's tournaments? Where would the women play? The Reynolds Center?
This is simple. The men would be in the BOK Center and the women would be in the newly renovated Tulsa Convention Center, which is right across the street from the BOK Center. If you recall, the Tulsa Convention Center was TU's home court before they built the Reynolds Center.

Part of the reasoning for renovating the Convention Center was in anticipation for putting in a bid for the Big 12 basketball tournaments.

Last edited by oSuJeff97; 11-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
seniorsooner
Elite Eight

Quote:
This is simple. The men would be in the BOK Center and the women would be in the newly renovated Tulsa Convention Center, which is right across the street from the BOK Center. If you recall, the Tulsa Convention Center was TU's home court before they built the Reynolds Center.

Part of the reasoning for renovating the Convention Center was in anticipation for putting in a bid for the Big 12 basketball tournaments.
Wow I didn't know that, that is great!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
This.

The idea that Tulsa could not host the Big 12 basketball tournament is beyond ridiculous.

There are enough hotel rooms to host the NCAA Tournament this past year and the freaking U.S. Open and other golf majors at Southern Hills.

Not to mention that at least 3 new hotels will be opened downtown by the time the Big 12 Tournament would come to Tulsa.

As a side note - Tulsa/Grand Lake was just announced as the site for the 2013 Bassmaster Classic. (It sounds funny, but don't laugh - it's an event that will draw 75-100K people.)

I haven't been down there since the renovation. Here's a link to the Tulsa Convention Center Website:

http://www.tulsaconvention.com/defau...lkeyword=Arena

Apparently, the capacity is 8,900. How does that compare to the Cox Center (formerly Myriad)?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Sooner04
All-Conference

It will be a VERY sad day when Kansas City no longer hosts the Big 12 Tournament.

And this is coming from somebody who hates KU more than any other soul walking the planet.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
bocabull
Banned

Ahh, the good old Tulsa Convention Center, attended many a concert at that venue back in the day and vaguely recall tumbling down the concrete steps at a Journey show.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
oSuJeff97
Starter

Quote:
I haven't been down there since the renovation. Here's a link to the Tulsa Convention Center Website:

http://www.tulsaconvention.com/defau...lkeyword=Arena

Apparently, the capacity is 8,900. How does that compare to the Cox Center (formerly Myriad)?
According to Wikipedia, the former Myriad holds like ~13,000.

I don't know if the Big 12 has a minimum requirement capacity for the women's tournament, but I would think 8,900 would be large enough. Just a guess though... I've never attended the women's tournament.

Has anyone here attended it?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:

I don't know if the Big 12 has a minimum requirement capacity for the women's tournament, but I would think 8,900 would be large enough. Just a guess though... I've never attended the women's tournament.

I've attended it in OKC and in Dallas. When OU was in the Finals in OKC, the Myriad was close to full. Reunion Arena in Dallas was never full, no matter who was playing, from what I understand.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
campbest
Final Four

Quote:

That may not be enough to appease the conference leadership...9k is small.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #21
bocabull
Banned

We need to think strategic and completely ditching KC is not a wise move. The Big XII PR machine needs to be in full mode of declaring KC & Texas Big XII country.

Missouri may have tucked their tail and ran away to the SEC but the Big XII is not going to abandon KC. A&M may have ran away after failure in the Big XII but the conference added TCU and is committed to being the premier conference for the state of Texas.

As Missouri and A&M go and continue being a non factor in the SEC like they have been in the Big XII the KC and Texas markets will become even more loyal to the Big XII.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #22
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbest View Post
That may not be enough to appease the conference leadership...9k is small.
I think 9K would be big enough for the sessions up until the finals. Is there any reason they couldn't move the finals to the BOK? The men's and women's finals aren't usually on the same day so that might work.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
campbest
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
It will be a VERY sad day when Kansas City no longer hosts the Big 12 Tournament.

And this is coming from somebody who hates KU more than any other soul walking the planet.
Winner.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
oSuJeff97
Starter

Quote:
I've attended it in OKC and in Dallas. When OU was in the Finals in OKC, the Myriad was close to full. Reunion Arena in Dallas was never full, no matter who was playing, from what I understand.
Not surprised about the Dallas thing.

They didn't roll out for the men either when I was there in 2004.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #25
Sooner04
All-Conference

Dallas was decent in 2003, but it was a disaster every other time it hosted it. It's just simply not a college town. If you weren't in town for the Tournament, you really had no idea the Tournament was even happening there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd be all over a three-year rotation where you go to KC twice and OKC once. KC, KC, OKC, KC, KC, OKC. The Myriad is the X-factor. The conference has never sniffed the attendance for the OU women's big games anywhere else. 12-13,000 people is a lot of bonus money for the coffers.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote