ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 11:07 AM   #26
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Lol
2014 East Carolina Pirates passed 637 times in 13 games. That is 49 attempts per game. They passed 43 times per game in 2013.

Pass attempts at OU will go up. Carries for Perine will go down.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES

Last edited by thebigabd; 09-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,286
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
2014 East Carolina Pirates passed 637 times in 13 games. That is 49 attempts per game. They passed 43 times per game in 2013.

Pass attempts at OU will go up. Carries for Perine will go down.
I'm not saying his rush attempts will not go down...but it isn't going to be as bad as you expect. In 2014 Riley was just under 60% passing. In 2013 he was just under 55%. So it's not like ECU wasn't running the ball.

But I was mainly laughing at the thought of Perine transferring from the university of Oklahoma
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
I'm not saying his rush attempts will not go down...but it isn't going to be as bad as you expect. In 2014 Riley was just under 60% passing. In 2013 he was just under 55%. So it's not like ECU wasn't running the ball.

But I was mainly laughing at the thought of Perine transferring from the university of Oklahoma
Do you think this kind of offense suits Perine? Do you think he would have come to OU if he knew they were running this system?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #29
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Perine is an average back. Mixon will replace him. Perine eventually transferring has good odds.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #30
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Perine is an average back. Mixon will replace him. Perine eventually transferring has good odds.
I certainly wouldn't call Perine average...
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #31
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I certainly wouldn't call Perine average...
Completely mediocre. A 3 star who ran for 238 yards on 67 carries vs TCU, Texas and Kansas State. Gets stuffed all the time. Are you really going to judge him based on a big game versus terribly pathetic junior college Kansas?

Perinie is a Cade Davis level talent. If he's your guy it's going to be a losing year.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #32
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,640
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Do you think this kind of offense suits Perine? Do you think he would have come to OU if he knew they were running this system?
IMO, if the line matures/develops over the course of the year, he can be a valuable asset if we are able to spread defenses out....i.e. passing to set up the run. If he has holes to hit, it takes more than arm tackles to bring him down. He is also our best option is short-yardage and goal line situations.

The short answer is that he can serve a purpose and have an occasional big game....even in this scheme, but he won't be the "go-to" guy every week in this system. He seems like a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders, so I don't anticipate his new role being a detriment to him or the team.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #33
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,286
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Completely mediocre. A 3 star who ran for 238 yards on 67 carries vs TCU, Texas and Kansas State. Gets stuffed all the time. Are you really going to judge him based on a big game versus terribly pathetic junior college Kansas?

Perinie is a Cade Davis level talent. If he's your guy it's going to be a losing year.
Example 107 of why Boca is a simple troll and easy to spot. He is getting worse at hiding it.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #34
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
IMO, if the line matures/develops over the course of the year, he can be a valuable asset if we are able to spread defenses out....i.e. passing to set up the run. If he has holes to hit, it takes more than arm tackles to bring him down. He is also our best option is short-yardage and goal line situations.

The short answer is that he can serve a purpose and have an occasional big game....even in this scheme, but he won't be the "go-to" guy every week in this system. He seems like a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders, so I don't anticipate his new role being a detriment to him or the team.
He ran for 1700 yards as a freshman... why would he do that when he could go be the "feature" back somewhere else that has a more run-oriented offense?
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #35
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
He ran for 1700 yards as a freshman... why would he do that when he could go be the "feature" back somewhere else that has a more run-oriented offense?

He will get plenty of touches. He loves the university.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #36
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,120
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
He will get plenty of touches. He loves the university.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo!

Perine's skills will only get better in Riley's offense, making him a hot commodity at the next level in running with the ball as well as catching passes out of the backfield. Will he match last year's single game or season performances in rushing? Of course not. Even if he wasn't sharing time with an immensely talented Mixon, the change in the offense would have made that highly unlikely.

But, as Bounce said, Perine will get plenty of touches in this offense. He isn't going anywhere!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #37
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,681
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
Completely mediocre. A 3 star who ran for 238 yards on 67 carries vs TCU, Texas and Kansas State. Gets stuffed all the time. Are you really going to judge him based on a big game versus terribly pathetic junior college Kansas?

Perinie is a Cade Davis level talent. If he's your guy it's going to be a losing year.
LMAO

I'm glad this post is on a board where the rest of the world likely won't see it. I'd hate for them to think a real OU fan could be so dumb.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #38
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
LMAO

I'm glad this post is on a board where the rest of the world likely won't see it. I'd hate for them to think a real OU fan could be so dumb.
This is one of those comments that could go either way.... we will know in 3-4 weeks.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #39
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,681
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
This is one of those comments that could go either way.... we will know in 3-4 weeks.
What will 3-4 weeks tell us? Anybody that watched Perine run last year and says he is mediocre is out of their mind.

I'm not saying he is the best RB in the country, but he is pretty darn good. Any struggles he has this season is going to be a direct result of the OU offense, and the inexperienced Oline. Nothing more.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #40
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
This is one of those comments that could go either way.... we will know in 3-4 weeks.

Anybody who questions perines game is either a troll or has no football knowledge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #41
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,806
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
What will 3-4 weeks tell us? Anybody that watched Perine run last year and says he is mediocre is out of their mind.

I'm not saying he is the best RB in the country, but he is pretty darn good. Any struggles he has this season is going to be a direct result of the OU offense, and the inexperienced Oline. Nothing more.
Oh, I wasn't referring to his lack of talent... I was referring to his talent mixed with this style of offense. The best two running backs to come out of the Leach offense were Quentin Griffin and Taurean Henderson (Tech)... Super quick, smaller, great receivers, etc. I am not sure Perine will thrive in this type of offense, but I have no doubt he could thrive in a more power run offense like Florida, Georgia Tech, Alabama, etc.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #42
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post
i think the qb could be special. He was overlooked due to being a little undersized but has beat everybody out at every stop. Could finally have a gamer on our hands. Been a long time. So glad we're ditching that mickey mouse look over to the sidelines to call the play. Hated that.
boom
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #43
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,640
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

What a f...ing win! Unfortunately, I was at a wedding reception the entire second half....so I had to follow the game on my phone. The better half is upset with me because I wasn't paying attention to anything....but what the hell! We won...and we needed this team to sack up and prove something when the chips were down. I was thinking in the first half....I'm ready for basketball season right now.

Baker Mayfield isn't the best QB out there....but he might be the toughest. I love that kid's heart.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #44
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,286
Default

He isn't just tough. He throws a dn good ball too. Almost always on target


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #45
bocabull
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,849
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Great game by Perine too. He did a lot of little things down the stretch. Especially the block on Mayfields TD run. I obviously underestimated him as a complete football player and focused too much on his elusiveness.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #46
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,120
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Stoops said that might have been his favorite win as OU's coach. It was definitely one of mine.

At the end of the third quarter, I didn't think we had a chance to come away with a victory. I underestimated the heart and the mental toughness of guys like Mayfield, Shepherd and a host of others I could name. They proved that "Sooner Magic" was alive and well in Neyland Stadium!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #47
stormspencer
Sweet 16
 
stormspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 3,640
Default Re: 2015 Sooner Football Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Stoops said that might have been his favorite win as OU's coach. It was definitely one of mine.

At the end of the third quarter, I didn't think we had a chance to come away with a victory. I underestimated the heart and the mental toughness of guys like Mayfield, Shepherd and a host of others I could name. They proved that "Sooner Magic" was alive and well in Neyland Stadium!
The guts displayed by this year's team really gives me some hope that this could be a special year. Looking at the next several games on the schedule:
  • Tulsa - better than they were last year, but that's not saying much. This should be a good game to refine some issues (penalties, blocking, execution) that have been holding this team back
  • West Virginia - this team, known for offense, actually has the best secondary in the Big 12....most would say. This will be an interesting test and should not be overlooked.
  • Texas - they stink, but have replaced their QB and have some renewed hope. And this is a rivalry which infers that anything could happened. We "should" handle them fairly easily.
  • @K-State - this game scares me because KSU doesn't usually beat themselves. They aren't as strong this year, but will be well prepared. I don't mind the game being in Manhattan because we have played well up there our last several trips (08, 11, 13).
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com