ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #76
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Re: Am I the only one who is sick of football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabull View Post

There is a reason we lose every single time we play any team with talent close to ours not named Texas.
Lame. Any team I named that wasn't Bama or LSU, you'd probably claim OU had more talent then. Fact is, OU has beaten a lot of highly ranked teams, even in recent years. We stomped KSU, and they nearly went to a BCS game. I'm sure FSU's roster has nearly as much NFL talent as we do, if not more.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #77
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
Actually I'm tired of our fans pizzing and moaning and acting like children. Part of being a fan is taking the good with the bad. am I happy about some of the games? No, but it's not like I can go play QB and make it better. I don't know about all of you but losing to OSU isn't going to wreck my life.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #78
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Sawyer, how do you feel about Gary Pinkel voting OSU 4th on his final coaches poll ballot? Pretty despicable if you ask me, kissing the arse of his new conference overlords rather than voting with integrity.
Pickle begged for the SEC and got it so he HAS to kiss the a$$ of his new conference!!!
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #79
bocabull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Lame. Any team I named that wasn't Bama or LSU, you'd probably claim OU had more talent then. Fact is, OU has beaten a lot of highly ranked teams, even in recent years. We stomped KSU, and they nearly went to a BCS game. I'm sure FSU's roster has nearly as much NFL talent as we do, if not more.
You haven't been around long obviously. I can count on a 1 hand the games Stoops has won as an underdog in his 12 years. Last one I think was Oregon way back in the Bomar 2005 season. Before that you had to go back to 2000. Stoops has lost 34 games at OU and only won 5 or fewer as an underdog. That's way lopsided.

We were favored by double digits vs KSU this year. Their talent is not even top 40.
bocabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #80
stoops4pres
All-American

Quote:
Nope that's the exact game. My facts were a little off but looking at the drive chart refreshes my memory.
I think there's a huge difference punting with over 7 minutes to play, and punting with 3 minutes to play.

Quote:
Texas had scored on 6 of their previous 7 possessions (86%). We had not punted since the 1st qtr. There's 7 minutes left and it's 4th & 2 from midfield. Which is more probable, us getting 2 yards or stopping them? Since I started doubting Stoops in 2004 I have paid closer attention than most to his constant gameday errors. When things get tight, he blinks and makes the wrong decision and I'm not talking about subjective things like play calling. I'm talking game management. He freezes.
Well considering we couldn't run the ball if our life depended on it that day, I'd argue that neither scenario had much probability to succeed .

Hindsight's always 20/20, but you had an OL that had been abused by Texas' DL all day, 4th and 2 from midfield. You are only down a field goal, but while Texas had scored 6 out of 7 possessions seemingly half of those were field goals. So it's still a one possession game if forcing Texas to a field goal. It was the right call to make at the time, it just didn't work out that way.

Also, I'd argue we've lost quite a few games playing equal caliber due to injuries. See Jason White vs. LSU, and Demarco Murray vs. Florida (given the fact that he was one of the nation's best playmakers in '08, and is tearing up the NFL, Florida's pretty fortunate they didn't have to play him). Nevertheless, we were still extremely close to hoisting 3 crystal balls rather than 1.

Stoops has a great record against ranked teams, and has owned the Big 12 which has been one of the top 2 conferences in America since Stoops joined OU.... While I agree that a change or two needs to be made within the program, I think you're taking for granted the fantastic tenure Stoops has had here.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #81
stoops4pres
All-American

Quote:
You haven't been around long obviously. I can count on a 1 hand the games Stoops has won as an underdog in his 12 years.
Stoops won as an underdog about as much as a hand's-worth in the 2000 season alone (Texas, K-State, Nebraska, FSU); he has won as an underdog more than just 5 times.

Quote:
Last one I think was Oregon way back in the Bomar 2005 season. Before that you had to go back to 2000. Stoops has lost 34 games at OU and only won 5 or fewer as an underdog. That's way lopsided.
Stoops won as an underdog at OSU last year. And I can't remember the precise spread, but I recall most of the pundits predicting FSU to beat OU in Norman last season, as well.

I think you aren't realizing that a coach that has taken program to elite status will have more losses than underdog wins. After all, that's why they are hardly ever the underdogs, because their program is so elite that they're always expected to win.

Last edited by stoops4pres; 12-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.
stoops4pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #82
Mr.B!!!
All-American

I'm of the opinion that we have enough talent within our program that we do not need to run a gimmick "hurry-up" offense to win games against 99% of the teams out there. I'll be the first to admit, when that offense is "on" it is impressive to watch, but when you have to bring in two fullbacks and a 250 lb. QB to pick up a yard or two, there might be a problem with the scheme you are running overall.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #83
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B!!! View Post
but when you have to bring in two fullbacks and a 250 lb. QB to pick up a yard or two, there might be a problem with the scheme you are running overall.
Why do people keep saying this, as if it's ALWAYS been a problem with this offense. It hasn't. We are usually REALLY good in the redzone. Why is this year different? I don't know for sure. Mostly b/c we don't have a TE worth a flip. Coupled with Landry's reads/accuracy regressing, and there you have it. Rather than look at it as a negative, I think it's a positive that a) are coaches were willing to try something when the status quo wasn't working, and b) that is worked so well.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #84
WTSooner
National Champion

And which school that has a good offense DOESN'T run something you'd consider gimmicky? Stanford might be one of the few I can think of. OU's is no more gimmicky then what UT is trying to do. Or what OSU does. Or what Houston/Baylor do.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #85
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
And which school that has a good offense DOESN'T run something you'd consider gimmicky? Stanford might be one of the few I can think of. OU's is no more gimmicky then what UT is trying to do. Or what OSU does. Or what Houston/Baylor do.
It's similar to the 'big game' argument. If we won it, it wasn't a 'big game'. If it's our offense, it must be gimmicky.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #86
stoops4pres
All-American

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this, as if it's ALWAYS been a problem with this offense. It hasn't. We are usually REALLY good in the redzone. Why is this year different? I don't know for sure. Mostly b/c we don't have a TE worth a flip. Coupled with Landry's reads/accuracy regressing, and there you have it.
True. Also, I'd add that while our OL was pretty good in pass protection this season, their run blocking left much to be desired.

Quote:
Rather than look at it as a negative, I think it's a positive that a) are coaches were willing to try something when the status quo wasn't working, and b) that is worked so well.
That's the way I see it as well. I think it reflects the strengths of what Bell and Millard bring to the table more than anything. It's all about maximizing the probability of conversion on 3rd and short, so give me the best fullback in the country paving the way for a 240-lb QB that seemingly has yet to be tackled for a loss, everytime.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #87
stoops4pres
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
It's similar to the 'big game' argument. If we won it, it wasn't a 'big game'. If it's our offense, it must be gimmicky.
Haha... Pretty much.