ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
OU92Grad
Walk-on

Default 7-10-19 practice

Went to practice today. Athleticism is off the chart compared to last season.
Things I noticed are as follows:

Doo is playing strictly on the perimeter. His 3 ball looks very good

Reeves is very good. Can really stroke it and create. His shot selection needs improvement. He took some questionable shots and turned it over on occasion trying to make a flashy play when an easy open teammate was one pass away.

Bieniemy was really solid.

Manek lit it up today. Hit just about everything he attempted. Looks much bigger than last year. Over 230 lbs

Jalen hit several shots today. He looked really good offensively.

Victor is a jumping jack. Is a work in progress on offense but will help a lot on D and rebounding.

Kur looks stronger and is super long. Finished well around the rim

Daívion looked solid both shooting and distributing the ball
OU92Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
WichitaSooner
Starter

Default Re: 7-10-19 practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post

Reeves is very good. Can really stroke it and create. His shot selection needs improvement. He took some questionable shots and turned it over on occasion trying to make a flashy play when an easy open teammate was one pass away.

Manek lit it up today. Hit just about everything he attempted. Looks much bigger than last year. Over 230 lbs

Victor is a jumping jack. Is a work in progress on offense but will help a lot on D and rebounding.

Da’vion looked solid both shooting and distributing the ball
Thanks for posting. I love reading these reports, especially when the news is encouraging. Your observations are consistent with what Lon discussed in the story on The Athletic. I'm sure some will be upset to hear that Doo is playing the wing, but I'm definitely not one of those people. He is more than capable of playing there.

One point Seth Davis made that is well taken: last year's team lacked inside play and good three-point shooting, yet still made the tourney and won a game. I'm confident both areas will be improved this year, especially the shooting. Looking forward to this season!

Last edited by WichitaSooner; 07-10-2019 at 10:53 PM.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
BCSooners
All-Conference

I’m glad Kuath can give an option inside, but Doo will be most effective at the 5 imo.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
SuperHoops
Role Player

How many guys were at practice? If Merritt is out due to injury and Issanza and Williams aren't in Norman yet that leaves only 9 scholarship guys if i'm counting correctly.
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
thebigabd
National Champion

I find it hard to believe Manek has put on 20 pounds in 4 months, but maybe he has bulked up some.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Stikboy
All-Conference

Thanks for the report!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

So, are we thinking Doo may start at the 3? With Manek and Kur down low. Victor or Issanza backup Kur up at the 5. This would give us a Center on the court with legit size at least. When Manek goes out, move Doo to the 4 spot.

I think our best lineup will be Harmon, Reaves, JB, Doo and Manek for sure, but maybe we start Kur and Reaves or JB come off the bench..
I always kind of thought this would be best after watching all of last season getting out-rebounded and not being able to contest/block any shots.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
usedtobe1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I always kind of thought this would be best after watching all of last season getting out-rebounded and not being able to contest/block any shots.
We didn't really have any post depth last year either. Freeman wasn't much of a defender and Muni kind of quit after his injury. It sounds like we will have some good, quality post depth this season.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Stikboy
All-Conference

How tall is Okafor?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
dahldennsull
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
I find it hard to believe Manek has put on 20 pounds in 4 months, but maybe he has bulked up some.
the story in the athletic said he had an illness last season that drained his energy. He could have lost quite a bit of weight because of it, which makes it far easier to pack it on after you get your health back. Just natural filling out of a 19-21 year old.
dahldennsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
So, are we thinking Doo may start at the 3? With Manek and Kur down low. Victor or Issanza backup Kur up at the 5. This would give us a Center on the court with legit size at least. When Manek goes out, move Doo to the 4 spot.

I think our best lineup will be Harmon, Reaves, JB, Doo and Manek for sure, but maybe we start Kur and Reaves or JB come off the bench..
Reaves isnt coming off the bench.

JB or harmon will before him.

As I stated a month ago. I think Kur could start at the 5 very easily.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
How tall is Okafor?
Jahil? signed with the atl hawks, 6'9
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #13
thebigabd
National Champion

PG: Harmon
SG: JB
SG: Reaves
PF: Manek
PF: Doolittle

This is much pretty a guarantee.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:

If manek and Doo can rebound better than last year, Yes. But if they cant, Kur could start.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:

I fully believed this from January till late June, when one of our most reliable posters indicated that Kuath could start. Reading the article yesterday, which said that Doo has been playing wing exclusively in practice and that he is fully on board with playing there this season, has me thinking that it isn't a sure thing. I don't know who would get squeezed from the starting lineup if that happens -- potentially JB, but who knows. Regardless of who starts, it sounds like we will have two perfectly viable lineups -- one with Kuath when we want to go big, and the lineup above when we want to play smaller and get more shooting on the floor. Great to have options because we lacked that luxury last season.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU92Grad View Post

Daívion looked solid both shooting and distributing the ball
Great report and much appreciated, OU92Grad!

Iím all for moving Doo to the perimeter if it helps the team. I just hope itís not one of those experiments to move a player to the outside who is more effective on the inside. Lattin comes immediately to mind.

One thing appears to be certain, moving Doo without hurting our post depth makes more sense now than last season. As Wichita said, itís great to have options this season!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

I mean if Kur and Victor are better than Williams or Jalen Hill at this point it makes total sense to move Doo to the 3 for a majority of the game.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
BoulderSooner
Administrator

thanks for the great report
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #19
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Great report and much appreciated, OU92Grad!

Iím all for moving Doo to the perimeter if it helps the team. I just hope itís not one of those experiments to move a player to the outside who is more effective on the inside. Lattin comes immediately to mind.

One thing appears to be certain, moving Doo without hurting our post depth makes more sense now than last season. As Wichita said, itís great to have options this season!
I could see Lon moving Doo to the parimeter to help increase his NBA stock and improve his overall game. However, if it doesn't workout I could see him moving back to post by conference play.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
vbdad
Role Player

Manek looks to be 230. He is bigger than last year by a bunch.

Kur was with the first team the day I watched. I think the above lineup is likely to be the starting 5 but wouldn't be shocked at all if Kur starts.

Totally agree that the athleticism is significantly better than last year's squad.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
skyvue
Elite Eight

It seems the news that Manek was sick for a good span of time last season (and yes, lost a bunch of weight) has eluded the notice of some posters, though it's been mentioned many times over the past few months.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It seems the news that Manek was sick for a good span of time last season (and yes, lost a bunch of weight) has eluded the notice of some posters, though it's been mentioned many times over the past few months.
I didn't realize that. I don't read all of the threads on the board, though.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Yep, LK talked about it several times during the heart of Big 12 play. That, combined with the fact that naturally skinny kids are the ones most likely to gain weight through a college strength training program, make me think it is very realistic that he has added 20 lbs. in four months of offseason work. It's probably about 10 lbs. of muscle and 10 lbs. that he simply gained back after he fully recovered and was no longer playing two college basketball games a week.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #24
thebigabd
National Champion

If Kur is starting on this team, thats a very good sign and a testament to his ability.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #25
Darwin
Role Player

I'd be happy if Doo averages 14 minutes at the 3 and 12 at the 4 & 5. That still leaves plenty for the 4 guards.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote