ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default ESPN: Ditch the NBA Draft and let players choose where to work

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...ants-play-next

Hard for me to disagree with the logic.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
BCSooners
All-Conference

Default Re: ESPN: Ditch the NBA Draft and let players choose where to work

They can choose to go overseas. Competitive balance would be lost, most of these kids will go close to where they are from, fans would hate this.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
cjhsooner
Walk-on

This is dumb. No one would ever choose to play for teams like Memphis or Salt Lake City or other small markets or crappy teams. Hence the draft, to try to help the lesser teams have a chance.

This is dumb.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
CoachTalk
Final Four

Lol.
What a waste of internet space.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Lolol not even gonna read

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Eielson
Starter

The team with the worst record should be exempt from getting the top pick. They made positive changes to the lottery, but they need to take it even further. That said, the draft definitely needs to exist.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
The team with the worst record should be exempt from getting the top pick. They made positive changes to the lottery, but they need to take it even further. That said, the draft definitely needs to exist.
Nah. Tanks are fine. Baseball boots 3-4 years at a time and teams/fans are cool with it.
There are bigger problems with NBA.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

not going to dignify with a click
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
daqman
Walk-on

They should let players play where they want for the first 3 years of their career. Then at that point they enter the draft.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
They should let players play where they want for the first 3 years of their career. Then at that point they enter the draft.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
This is dumb. No one would ever choose to play for teams like Memphis or Salt Lake City or other small markets or crappy teams. Hence the draft, to try to help the lesser teams have a chance.

This is dumb.
He attempts to debunk all the stuff you guys are saying in this thread. It's logically valid.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Nah. Tanks are fine. Baseball boots 3-4 years at a time and teams/fans are cool with it.
There are bigger problems with NBA.
Teams/fans understand tanks, but it's a stretch to say they're cool with it. I'm not specifically talking about tanks, though. I don't think anybody enjoys watching Anthony Davis and KAT waste away on garbage franchises.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Teams/fans understand tanks, but it's a stretch to say they're cool with it. I'm not specifically talking about tanks, though. I don't think anybody enjoys watching Anthony Davis and KAT waste away on garbage franchises.
The problem is they don't want to be there. Adam Silver knows that is true. The players know it's true.
  • They didn't choose it.
  • They don't like their boss.
  • They have limited control on where they live or raise a family.
  • They may not like their role in the organization
  • They may not like their co-workers

When any of these things happen to a free employee, they go find somewhere they want to be. This increases their interest, their retention, their drive, etc.

It's funny that fans demand 100% loyalty and effort from players, but very little loyalty or choice is allowed to them.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
He attempts to debunk all the stuff you guys are saying in this thread. It's logically valid.
Logic doesn't work with today's NBA.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
p230
Role Player

No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice? As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it. I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years. They could take one contract and never resign if they take care of their salary.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #16
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by p230 View Post
No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice? As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it. I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years. They could take one contract and never resign if they take care of their salary.

Don't think so.
Ferguson played a year overseas and then was drafted by the Thunder.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice?
No.... "No player may sign with the NBA until he has been eligible for at least one draft"... Brandon Jennings was probably the first notable player to do this, and he had to participate in the NBA draft. Just like other pros like Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, etc had to.

Quote:
As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it.
Doesn't make them free.

Quote:
I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years.
You didn't have to in order to work in your profession. You are telling them, "have no choice in anything if you want to play basketball professionally, or you can go work at Office Max" or whatever...
Old 06-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #18
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
The problem is they don't want to be there. Adam Silver knows that is true. The players know it's true.
  • They didn't choose it.
  • They don't like their boss.
  • They have limited control on where they live or raise a family.
  • They may not like their role in the organization
  • They may not like their co-workers

When any of these things happen to a free employee, they go find somewhere they want to be. This increases their interest, their retention, their drive, etc.

It's funny that fans demand 100% loyalty and effort from players, but very little loyalty or choice is allowed to them.

The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees make 50-100 times less of an annual salary than those who play the major team sports. There is always a trade-off when making more money. The former CEO of the company I work for stepped down (not really by choice) last year. He's my age...looks old enough to be my dad with all his stress, but makes a lot more money than I ever will. That's generally how it works. These NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players are going to be set for life after playing 5-10 years as a pro, and their tradeoff is that they may not like everyone they work with...wish I had their problems.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
Eielson
Starter

Quote:
That's not the problem. The problem is horrible franchises are rewarded with transcendent talent. I couldn't care less if AD was happy playing for Demps. It sucked having him waste away with the Pelicans.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees make 50-100 times less of an annual salary than those who play the major team sports. There is always a trade-off when making more money. The former CEO of the company I work for stepped down (not really by choice) last year. He's my age...looks old enough to be my dad with all his stress, but makes a lot more money than I ever will. That's generally how it works. These NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players are going to be set for life after playing 5-10 years as a pro, and their tradeoff is that they may not like everyone they work with...wish I had their problems.
The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees 50-100 times less profit the organization they work for.... Klay Thompson makes a lot of money because he makes Golden State a ton of money.

The Warriors are worth nearly $4 billion... They make over $400 million per year... with $147 million in player expenses.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
WTSooner
National Champion

It's what, 3-4 years of their career? Hardly a big deal. Get drafted. Do your time. And then leave after that first contract. Ain't nobody feeling sorry for somebody making millions of dollars playing basketball for a living.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
p230
Role Player

Quote:
No.... "No player may sign with the NBA until he has been eligible for at least one draft"... Brandon Jennings was probably the first notable player to do this, and he had to participate in the NBA draft. Just like other pros like Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, etc had to.
Thanks for the clarification

Quote:
Doesn't make them free.
Don't know that I agree with that thought but I see where you are coming from.

Quote:
You didn't have to in order to work in your profession. You are telling them, "have no choice in anything if you want to play basketball professionally, or you can go work at Office Max" or whatever...
At times I did because nothing else was available so I was patient and looked and around and made some sacrifices and hunted up a good gig. They could too.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #23
Eielson
Starter

The NBA has a lot more in common with the NFL, MLB, and NHL than they do some 8-5 desk job.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #24
sperry
All-American

You spend the first 5 years of your career in one city and then go wherever you want. Completely reasonable, and the only system that works.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #25
skyvue
Elite Eight

Let's not pretend that there aren't many industries and fields of endeavor in which employees are subject to the whims of the home office in finding themselves transferred across the country or even around the world on a moment's notice (relatively speaking). And 99% (if not 100%) of those folks fall well short of being millionaires.