ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
jaymOU
Role Player

Default Asst Coach Search update?

Figured I would start a new thread, hoping for some fresh news on the asst coach front.

Pooh Williamson would be great with all of his Texas recruiting experience, but former players Hollis Price and Kermit Holmes are intriguing.

There are others I am less familiar with as well. Someone give us some inside information.

I think this is an important hire for LK.
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
cvangild
Role Player

Default Re: Asst Coach Search update?

I am 100% on board with Pooh.

Great experience, great recruiting connections and is close with Rod Thompson, which would help with Bryce.

And I could potentially see him taking over the ship some day. I've always liked him.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
thebigabd
National Champion

Please no to Pooh.... The guy has been an assistant coach at like 12 schools. He was horrible as TU's head coach... He reminds me of a guy you bring in to do sketchy recruiting deals and thats his only value.

What is Bob Hoffman doing these days? Is he retired?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Postman77
Walk-on

My sources say this (both in the OU circle and in the power five circles):

David Cason is still probably the leader right now. Has a history of being an excellent recruiter--great in Texas. Has not been known for player development or scouting. The OU staff does not currently have a fantastic player development guy on staff--could be an issue.

Pooh Williamson is right there as well. Both Pooh and Cason have issues with just being retreads. Both have been let go or migrated for specific reasons a number of times. Neither one has had great success in the larger limelight. Williamson is a better relationship guy than X and O's from reputation.

Kermit Holmes--not a chance in hell. Fired from Lamar...now working as an assistant high school coach. Not enough meat on this bone to even warrant conversation.

Hollis Price--an intriguing name, but currently makes 90k a year doing very little with Houston. Has an easy job--knows it--and isn't pushing to move up at the moment. Has little experience recruiting or player development.

Wade Mason--maybe the most intriguing name so far. Worked as a GA with OU. Young, dynamic coach with great ties in Texas. Known to be a great recruiter and a fantastic skill development guy. Tireless worker. Almost hired by Chris Beard last year at Texas Tech (needed other recruiting ties so went another direction). Also a little note--very connected with Crutchfield and was key in bringing in Buddy through his connections and family ties.

Edit***By the way...everyone says they have close ties with Rod Thompson.

Last edited by Postman77; 05-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Postman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymOU View Post
Figured I would start a new thread, hoping for some fresh news on the asst coach front.

Pooh Williamson would be great with all of his Texas recruiting experience, but former players Hollis Price and Kermit Holmes are intriguing.

There are others I am less familiar with as well. Someone give us some inside information.

I think this is an important hire for LK.

When is an assistant hire not important?
Problem is, Lon will be retiring soon. Who's going to want to come in with no job security?
Don't expect an exciting hire. Likely someone similar to Molinari.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #6
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
When is an assistant hire not important?
Problem is, Lon will be retiring soon. Who's going to want to come in with no job security?
Don't expect an exciting hire. Likely someone similar to Molinari.
What do you think "soon" is? I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't want to see this incoming class through their 4 years.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
globecode
Walk-on

@Postman77 thanks for the update.

In your edit you said everyone says they have close ties with Rod Thompson. Is that only referring to Mason?
globecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
daqman
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
What do you think "soon" is? I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't want to see this incoming class through their 4 years.
I think he has 2 years left on his contract.
If he has another season like the last 3, 2021 is the end.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman77 View Post

David Cason is still probably the leader right now. Has a history of being an excellent recruiter--great in Texas. Has not been known for player development or scouting. The OU staff does not currently have a fantastic player development guy on staff--could be an issue.

Pooh Williamson is right there as well. Both Pooh and Cason have issues with just being retreads. Both have been let go or migrated for specific reasons a number of times. Neither one has had great success in the larger limelight. Williamson is a better relationship guy than X and O's from reputation.

Kermit Holmes--not a chance in hell. Fired from Lamar...now working as an assistant high school coach. Not enough meat on this bone to even warrant conversation.

Hollis Price--an intriguing name, but currently makes 90k a year doing very little with Houston. Has an easy job--knows it--and isn't pushing to move up at the moment. Has little experience recruiting or player development.

Wade Mason--maybe the most intriguing name so far. Worked as a GA with OU. Young, dynamic coach with great ties in Texas. Known to be a great recruiter and a fantastic skill development guy. Tireless worker. Almost hired by Chris Beard last year at Texas Tech (needed other recruiting ties so went another direction). Also a little note--very connected with Crutchfield and was key in bringing in Buddy through his connections and family ties.

Great information - you need to post more! Mason sounds interesting. Of course hiring an assistant is important, but feel like player development may be something of a need with this staff. I think OU is still getting over losing Henson and Hill.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:

Outstanding info and post. No wild speculation or nonsense, tons of legit insight and info. Keep posting, postman!
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote from Lon on Masons Coach Profile on the SFA site.

Lon Kruger • Head Men's Basketball Coach • University of Oklahoma
"Wade is terrific in developing relationships with players. He loves skill development on the floor and is very good on the recruiting trail as well. He's very genuine in assisting students athletes reach their fullest potentials both on and off the court."

https://sfajacks.com/staff.aspx?staff=215
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:

Great stuff, as usual, Postman! You have proven a number of times your sources are solid. Thanks for the info!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #13
Postman77
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by globecode View Post
@Postman77 thanks for the update.

In your edit you said everyone says they have close ties with Rod Thompson. Is that only referring to Mason?
Sorry globe,
That was meant to say that everyone that is a possible applicant is claiming close ties with Rod.
Postman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #14
globecode
Walk-on

@Postman77 ��. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
globecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #15
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:

Very similar to my list... maybe the same friend!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
skyvue
Elite Eight

I don't pretend to have a genuine clue who Coach Kruger should hire, but just based on Postman's info, Mason sounds like he'd be a good choice.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I don't pretend to have a genuine clue who Coach Kruger should hire, but just based on Postman's info, Mason sounds like he'd be a good choice.
This is where I'm at too. I like Mason the best out of those names.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
CoachTalk
Final Four

Close to done.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #19
rickjames
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Close to done.
Spill the beans, Coach.
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
CoachTalk
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames View Post
Spill the beans, Coach.
Iíve been told not to. I will as soon as I can.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #21
rickjames
Walk-on

Quote:
Understood. Youíre a true man of integrity!
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #22
CMSOONER
Starter

Come on Mason 🙏 .....or surprise home run deal.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #23
vbdad
Role Player

Thanks Postman!
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #24
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
Just tell us - we won't tell anyone else

Seriously, as always - don't burn your source for the board. Not that you ever would anyway.

Timeline on announcement? And are you pleased?
Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
mict085
Role Player

Any ideas on when a decision or announcement will be made?
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote