ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #51
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,382
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
I like the makeup of this team more than last years.

Doo > Doo
Manek > Manek
Reaves > Freeman
Harmon > James
Kuath > McNeace
Bieniemy > Calixte/Reynolds
Iwuakor = Odomes
I'm not ready to say Iwuakor is as good as Odomes was last year. He was offensively challenged as a HS junior, and didn't even play as a senior. Can he handle the ball? Is he going to be our best on ball defender? He was a HS center. Honestly, I look at him more as an offensively challenged Doolittle. JMHO.

One other point..... Alondes Williams (assuming he makes it in) is a stud. I think he might even start at a wing in Big 12 play.... he's more physically able to handle the 3 than Bienemy is. Don't count out Jalen Hill either.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #52
Eielson
Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
Doo is outmatched by Centers.......BECAUSE HE'S NOT A CENTER!
I didn't say he was outmatched by centers -- I said he was outmatched by Diakite. Virginia's "true center" lasted about two minutes before Doo ran him off the court. Diakite is listed as a F on every site. In a lot of ways, he's similar to Doolittle.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #53
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 236
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I'm not ready to say Iwuakor is as good as Odomes was last year. He was offensively challenged as a HS junior, and didn't even play as a senior. Can he handle the ball? Is he going to be our best on ball defender? He was a HS center. Honestly, I look at him more as an offensively challenged Doolittle. JMHO.

One other point..... Alondes Williams (assuming he makes it in) is a stud. I think he might even start at a wing in Big 12 play.... he's more physically able to handle the 3 than Bienemy is. Don't count out Jalen Hill either.
Harmon/Bienemy/Reaves/Williams/Hill is a very good 5 guard rotation and will be the strength of the team imo.
If Williams does not show up, it will be a huge blow. The first and only guard off the bench will be a true freshman.
Most likely you would see Doolittle having to play some at one guard spot and Manek/Kuath on the inside. Which isn't a great option for a couple reasons. The Jamuni/Manek/Doolittle experiment last year did not impress. And, we're not exactly well stocked at the 4/5 spots with ready for big 12 players.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #54
BCSooners
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 2,321
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I didn't say he was outmatched by centers -- I said he was outmatched by Diakite. Virginia's "true center" lasted about two minutes before Doo ran him off the court. Diakite is listed as a F on every site. In a lot of ways, he's similar to Doolittle.
Bingo
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #55
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,607
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Harmon/Bienemy/Reaves/Williams/Hill is a very good 5 guard rotation and will be the strength of the team imo.
If Williams does not show up, it will be a huge blow. The first and only guard off the bench will be a true freshman.
Most likely you would see Doolittle having to play some at one guard spot and Manek/Kuath on the inside. Which isn't a great option for a couple reasons. The Jamuni/Manek/Doolittle experiment last year did not impress. And, we're not exactly well stocked at the 4/5 spots with ready for big 12 players.
Victor is built like a college junior. He’ll be fine at 4/5 in a role of some kind.

Like I said before kur 5, manek at 4 doo at 3 any 2 guards....

Not center power forward small forward sg pg

You realize players get better at times as they get older and more mature? Or just think they’ll be the same player as last year?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #56
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,607
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I'm glad he's not, because he'd be in the NBA right now.
Very true!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #57
daqman
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 236
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Victor is built like a college junior. He’ll be fine at 4/5 in a role of some kind.

Like I said before kur 5, manek at 4 doo at 3 any 2 guards....

Not center power forward small forward sg pg

You realize players get better at times as they get older and more mature? Or just think they’ll be the same player as last year?

The last video I saw of Victor, he looks like a very promising 4. Very athletic, but not built like a college junior. I think in time he will be a better version of Doolittle. Not expecting a whole lot from him this season.

Yes, some players get better. The past few years I saw a whole bunch of players that made very little progress.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #58
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,382
Default Re: Practice Video

I think Victor will be very active and aggressive in the post. I love his potential..... especially as he knocks the rust off this summer. He won't get bullied down low. I noticed in AAU ball last summer he only played in 8 games, averaged 26 minutes, 8.5 ppg, 5 rebounds, and 3 blocks. I really don't think not playing as a HS senior will hurt him. He has all summer and fall practices to get ready.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player...Summary/135027

With Doo, Manek, Kur, and Victor in the post, I think we will be better than we were last season.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #59
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,607
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I think Victor will be very active and aggressive in the post. I love his potential..... especially as he knocks the rust off this summer. He won't get bullied down low. I noticed in AAU ball last summer he only played in 8 games, averaged 26 minutes, 8.5 ppg, 5 rebounds, and 3 blocks. I really don't think not playing as a HS senior will hurt him. He has all summer and fall practices to get ready.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player...Summary/135027

With Doo, Manek, Kur, and Victor in the post, I think we will be better than we were last season.
And guard play as well. Should be fantastic.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #60
CMSOONER
Starter
 
CMSOONER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I'm not ready to say Iwuakor is as good as Odomes was last year. He was offensively challenged as a HS junior, and didn't even play as a senior. Can he handle the ball? Is he going to be our best on ball defender? He was a HS center. Honestly, I look at him more as an offensively challenged Doolittle. JMHO.

One other point..... Alondes Williams (assuming he makes it in) is a stud. I think he might even start at a wing in Big 12 play.... he's more physically able to handle the 3 than Bienemy is. Don't count out Jalen Hill either.
I debated about putting Iwuakor on the list and also comparing him to Odomes. They play different positions and Odomes was better in spurts as a Senior, but both can't shoot 3's, are defensive minded and physical players. So I went with it.

I didn't include Williams since we don't know his status at the moment and I left Hill off because I also didn't want to put every new incoming player on a pedestal before they ever play a minute. That said I think Williams could be a better contributor than Odomes, better offensively and not a major decline of the defensive end. Hill I believe will be better than what Bieniemy was asked to be most of last year.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #61
CMSOONER
Starter
 
CMSOONER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I didn't say he was outmatched by centers -- I said he was outmatched by Diakite. Virginia's "true center" lasted about two minutes before Doo ran him off the court. Diakite is listed as a F on every site. In a lot of ways, he's similar to Doolittle.
Sorry that's not directed at you. Yes Doo is quicker and able to take advantage of true big men, but struggled against the more athletic big men like Diakite, Jaxson Hayes, Odiase, etc. Doo was forced to play like a square peg in a round hole once McNeace went down. I like the option to be able to run out a smallball lineup with Doo in the post from time to time. That can't be our standard lineup for this team to get over the hump.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2019-06-20_9-46-55.png (3.9 KB, 3 views)
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #62
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,900
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
I like the option to be able to run out a smallball lineup with Doo in the post from time to time. That can't be our standard lineup for this team to get over the hump.
good stuff there.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #63
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,715
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
both can't shoot 3's
Odomes had the second best shooting percentage on the team last season. Doesn't shoot 3s, perhaps, but can't shoot 3's?
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #64
CMSOONER
Starter
 
CMSOONER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Odomes had the second best shooting percentage on the team last season. Doesn't shoot 3s, perhaps, but can't shoot 3's?
As a Guard, Odomes took 44 total 3's in 4 years. He averaged 34% for his career and 40% over the final 2, which is good. IMO good shooters typically shoot. Maybe his role over 4 years wasn't to shoot 3's (said with sarcasm), but to me he wasn't a good 3 point shooter. Physically able, yes. Good at it, no.

I personally disagree with what the stats say in this case. However I'm not going to dismiss the argument that if he shot a higher volume it's possible he still had a decent percentage.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #65
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,120
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I'm not ready to say Iwuakor is as good as Odomes was last year. He was offensively challenged as a HS junior, and didn't even play as a senior. Can he handle the ball? Is he going to be our best on ball defender? He was a HS center. Honestly, I look at him more as an offensively challenged Doolittle. JMHO.

One other point..... Alondes Williams (assuming he makes it in) is a stud. I think he might even start at a wing in Big 12 play.... he's more physically able to handle the 3 than Bienemy is. Don't count out Jalen Hill either.
Usedtobe1, I’m glad you mentioned one of my three favorite newcomers on next year’s team. I’m not saying Jalen Hill will start his freshman season, but I do think he will contribute his first year and that he has unlimited potential to be a star someday.

I have posted these bullet points about Jalen before, and I will continue to do it because I’m convinced OU got a steal when they signed this young man.

—Gatorade Nevada Player of the Year
—6’ 7” guard who led his team to a 25-6 season and the Class 4-A State Final
—Averaged 17.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.2 steals, while shooting 56.5 % from the field.
—Coach says he’s a “high percentage 3 point shooter” (last time I checked it was 46%)
—League MVP and First Team All State Selection.
—Coach says he’s an excellent passer and he can finish with both hands.
—Coach says “He’s got an elite-level, old school post-up game that you can’t stop and his IQ is off the charts. He’s the real deal.”
—Coach says this about his defense: “Jalen Hill might be the best on-ball defender I’ve ever seen.”
—Active in the community as a volunteer providing support for children with cancer.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #66
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,717
Default Re: Practice Video

He might surprise and be the best of the newcomers imo
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #67
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,900
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I’m not saying Jalen Hill will start his freshman season, but I do think he will contribute his first year and that he has unlimited potential to be a star someday.
He has a very soft touch with his shots too. I enjoyed his film.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #68
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,120
Default Re: Practice Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
He might surprise and be the best of the newcomers imo
That would not surprise me, hoopsaustin. I think Jalen is the #2 all around player in this class, with Harmon occupying the #1 spot. I said “all around” player, meaning there is not much he doesn’t do well.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #69
CoachTalk
Final Four
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,607
Default Re: Practice Video

Harmon’s always has the best kids around him. We need him to make others better while also leading the team. Has to score as well.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #70
vbdad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 937
Default Re: Practice Video

I heard Victor has been showing off his jumping ability. Hard to imagine he does much offensively at this point but love the athleticism!

Odomes shot a great percentage. He took advantage of the opposition guarding him way off. They dared him to shoot. He occasionally did with nice success. I personally still didn’t consider him a good shooter although better at the three than mid range.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com