ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
oketex
Walk-on

Default John Higgins

Higgins does it again! Every time he calls one of our games we get screwed towards the end of the game. The out of bounds call off of Tanner started the screw job then mickey mouse calls for the last four minutes, once it appeared that Kansas was going to lose Higgins and his team mates started calling fours against OU, he does it every time.
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
opsooner
National Champion

I donít think he called it off TGroves. I think he called it off the guard (might have been Goldwire but not sure) who swiped at it. Or, if he did think TGroves touched it he might have got lucky on the call. I couldnít tell who it was off but it was close.

We just didnít make enough shots down the stretch and they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Default Re: John Higgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by oketex View Post
Higgins does it again! Every time he calls one of our games we get screwed towards the end of the game. The out of bounds call off of Tanner started the screw job then mickey mouse calls for the last four minutes, once it appeared that Kansas was going to lose Higgins and his team mates started calling fours against OU, he does it every time.
He's worth at least 5 points to Kansas.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #4
allday92
Walk-on

Missed call and all, don't give up a wide open three to the leading scorer in the Big 12 on the next possession
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:37 PM   #5
mict085
All-Conference

Heís terrible on purpose. He helps out ku as much as he can. Itís not an accident.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #6
sdcloud9
Starter

They called it out on Goldwire, not Groves.

Harkless helped off on one of the best shooters in the Big 12. It was a mental mistake by him and give credit to Braun, he stuck the big shot.

This team plays hard, it just isn't very talented or smart at the end of games. I love how hard they play....hope they get rewarded as the conference season goes on.
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:43 PM   #7
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday92 View Post
Missed call and all, don't give up a wide open three to the leading scorer in the Big 12 on the next possession
This argument is a complete fallacy. If the refs call a fair game, the teams decide the outcome. When they favor one team, it makes it near impossible to win. Itís never just one call. There are a series of bad calls that create an advantage for one team over the other.

When this happens over and over every year, itís not one bad call. Just imagine if OU had this kind of ďhelpĒ on the road every year and every game. But, yeah. That one time we gave up a shot to a good shooter is what we should focus on. The fact that the refs help ku get a 10 point bonus every game is of no consequence.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #8
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
They called it out on Goldwire, not Groves.

Harkless helped off on one of the best shooters in the Big 12. It was a mental mistake by him and give credit to Braun, he stuck the big shot.

This team plays hard, it just isn't very talented or smart at the end of games. I love how hard they play....hope they get rewarded as the conference season goes on.
braun is a low 30's 3 point shooter far from one of the best in the big 12
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:51 PM   #9
Darwin
Starter

I thought the play to set Braun up was a hook to free himself to drive inside. Someone please explain to me the call with 5:44-5:42. Why was that not a foul in the circle?
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 PM   #10
Crimson&Cream14
Role Player

Higgins was definitely terrible down the stretch, but we literally made 3(!!) FGs in the final 11 minutes of the game. We lost because we're an atrocious offensive team right now.
Crimson&Cream14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:18 AM   #11
steverocks35
Final Four

This thread is embarrassing and should be deleted.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
This thread is embarrassing and should be deleted.
Embarrassing to who? You This thread was started by a guy who officiated for thirty years or more in multiple major conferences.

John Higgins has been screwing OU for years. We have no idea why? But, itís obvious some of us are sick of it! If youíre embarrassed by our opinion of the all too ďtimelyĒ calls he made or failed to make, you know what to do.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #13
Sooner04
All-Conference

The second time the Big 12 Tourney was in OKC, Baylor made a run to the finals. A crapload of Bears made the drive up 35 for the game. Higgins was one of the officials on the floor. The green and gold were on him before the ball was tipped with vitriolic fervor. I'm too young to remember the rivalry between Billy and Stanley Reynolds (I think that was the name of the guy who was in Mizzou's pocket), but the hate displayed by the Branch Davidians has always stayed with me as the most extreme example of singling out an official.

When a team runs roughshod over a league, like Kansas, the more high-profile zebras are bound to be deemed complicit. I don't think Higgins is a bad official, but I also think he enjoys being the center of attention a little too often.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Embarrassing to who? You This thread was started by a guy who officiated for thirty years or more in multiple major conferences.

John Higgins has been screwing OU for years. We have no idea why? But, it’s obvious some of us are sick of it! If you’re embarrassed by our opinion of the all too “timely” calls he made or failed to make, you know what to do.
If I went to another team’s message board and saw a thread dedicated to whining about officiating, I would laugh my ass off.

It’s even worse to name the thread after a specific ref as if he sits around twirling his mustache thinking of ways to screw Oklahoma. Embarrassing.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:30 AM   #15
WichitaSooner
All-American

It seems to me that people will always see what they are looking for. If you are convinced the refs are on KUís side, you will always find something to support your opinion. If Kansas had taken 12 more free throws than us last night, people would have cited that stat as proof. Instead, we took 12 more free throws, so people are focusing on one terrible call. Yes, it was an obvious miss, but it was one call. If they wanted to hand them the game, they would have done more than give them one call that didnít result in free throws. And as bad as the call was, it isnít always easy for a ref to see if a defender reaching for the ball makes contact. Itís too bad it didnít happen in the last two minutes, when they would have been able to review it.

Iíve seen us lose a million times in Lawrence and am the first to say that Kansas gets a beneficial whistle in pretty much every close game there. But I canít get too worked up about last night. Yes, it gave them an extra possession in a close game. But it didnít lead to our supposedly best defender losing the best player in the conference on the ensuing inbound play.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #16
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
It seems to me that people will always see what they are looking for. If you are convinced the refs are on KUís side, you will always find something to support your opinion. If Kansas had taken 12 more free throws than us last night, people would have cited that stat as proof. Instead, we took 12 more free throws, so people are focusing on one terrible call. Yes, it was an obvious miss, but it was one call. If they wanted to hand them the game, they would have done more than give them one call that didnít result in free throws. And as bad as the call was, it isnít always easy for a ref to see if a defender reaching for the ball makes contact. Itís too bad it didnít happen in the last two minutes, when they would have been able to review it.

Iíve seen us lose a million times in Lawrence and am the first to say that Kansas gets a beneficial whistle in pretty much every close game there. But I canít get too worked up about last night. Yes, it gave them an extra possession in a close game. But it didnít lead to our supposedly best defender losing the best player in the conference on the ensuing inbound play.
Precisely
Old 01-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
If I went to another team’s message board and saw a thread dedicated to whining about officiating, I would laugh my ass off.

It’s even worse to name the thread after a specific ref as if he sits around twirling his mustache thinking of ways to screw Oklahoma. Embarrassing.
I’m not someone who thinks OU got screwed by the officials every time we lose. In fact, I rarely have anything to say, mainly because I have been in their shoes myself, albeit it at a lower level. Officiating basketball is a tough job.

I made it clear more than once that OU didn’t lose that game due to the officiating. The fact remains, however, that John Higgins was responsible for two crucial errors in the final minutes, one call he got wrong and another he failed to make that played a role in the outcome. He’s being called out for those mistakes.

I agree with Sooner04, John Higgins is not a bad official. Fact is, he’s thought to be one of the best. Sooner04 is also right in that JH likes to be the center of attention. Criticism comes with the territory sometimes. He earned it in this case.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:21 PM   #18
TINY
All-Conference

How about the missed and 1 on hillís poster dunk? That is the easiest call in the world. Higgins is a fvcking 🤡. I would love to get a chance to tell him how sh1tty he is at his job. He always lets the teams absolute hack the heck out of each other and then calls a bunch of hand checks 25 feet away from the goal.

🤡 gonna 🤡
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #19
hoopsaustin
Final Four

The fact that i only know his name out of any ref still reffing games these days should tell others something.. dudes a douchebag
Old Today, 12:44 PM   #20
Darwin
Starter

Bearcreekfan posted on another thread: Noland was elbowed in the face/head by Lightfoot when Lightfoot flailed outside the lane and Noland was guarding in space (i.e. just standing there). It was right before Groves fouled Lightfoot and he hit 1-2 FTs just before halftime. I was telling my TV that it should've been a foul on Lightfoot...Moser and the bench thought the same.

I remember thinking, aren't blows to the head reviewable?
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote